Removed

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
acanthurus

Removed

Post by acanthurus »

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrick013

Re: Best book/study course for Series 65 Exam?

Post by patrick013 »

The Kaplan Series 65 Manual is a big book. Probably needs
some revisions for the new tax law.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
venkman

Post by venkman »

I did the same thing last year. I used Pass the 65 by Robert Walker, which I think I picked because it was the cheapest one on Amazon.

The book itself is readable and covers pretty much everything you need to know. The particular edition that I got had some glaring editing mistakes (one part actually had the words "Insert Graphic Here" with no graphic), but it was easy enough to get past them.

I read through the book twice, on the same hour-a-day-ish schedule you're talking about, and it took me about a month and a half. After that, I took two practice tests, and scored high enough on those to feel confident about the actual test, which I took a few days later and passed. You definitely want to take some practice tests before you sign up for the real one. I used a booklet that had two printed practice tests (again, because I was trying to do it on the cheap :happy ), and that was enough for me. Any of the online question banks would probably work, too. (Except do NOT bother with the free questions on Investopedia, because I don't think those have been updated in probably 10 years.)
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

acanthurus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:55 am I'm an engineer but I want to take the Series 65 for fun (yes I know that's weird, but hey - engineer).

Does anyone have a recommendation for books and courses for the test? I can dedicate about an hour a day to study for it and I can take the test whenever I feel ready (no time pressure).

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but thought it might get the best responses here. Mods please feel free to move :)
You won't learn anything useful. Pick up used Kaplan CFA books instead.
brother7

Post by brother7 »

My degree is engineering too and this sounds like a cool way to re-engineer myself. I'll be following this thread. :D
Cop51

Post by Cop51 »

I bought a used Kaplan book off eBay, and have only read a few chapters. I am not in a rush to get it done either because I already have a career I am currently working in. I would like to take the test this year but well see how that goes. This guys video had some good information in the link worth watching. Let me know how you make out and what works for you.

https://www.kitces.com/blog/series-65-e ... materials/
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

venkman wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 pmI used Pass the 65 by Robert Walker
Anything to streamline the law section, the Kaplan is a much bigger book.
Glad it worked out.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle