Which book for an 18 year old who is asking about investing?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
2kidsmom

Which book for an 18 year old who is asking about investing?

Post by 2kidsmom » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:11 pm

I looked at the recommended reading on Bogleheads but am clueless about which book would be good for an 18 year old who is asking about investing. She has a ROTH IRA already (we match her earnings) in Fidelity ETFs because the total is not enough for index funds. She wants to be more involved in choosing funds and my statement of "pick something with low expense ratio" is not enough info for her. Anybody read all those books and have suggestions? No math issue, she is in Calculus 3, so she totally gets exponential growth. Anybody have an opinion on a good book?

livesoft

Re: Which book for an 18 year old who is asking about investing?

Post by livesoft » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:21 pm

If You Can by William Bernstein is an e-book. Google it. Then if that is digested, his other books from the library would be worthwhile.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

2kidsmom

Post by 2kidsmom » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Thank you! This looks like a great intro!

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 pm

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias. Solid, broad ranging financial advice and an easy read.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Jack Bogle's "The Little Book of Commonsense Investing". It's probably available for free from the public library. That's where I first read it. Small, straightforward great little book!

Also, have her watch the videos here:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:B ... philosophy
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 pm

The best eye-opener for me when I was about 23 years old was: "Get A Financial Life: Personal Finance in your Twenties & Thirties" by Beth Kobliner.
It has been recently updated for 2017: http://www.bethkobliner.com/get-a-financial-life/
After that I pored over my sister's personal finance and budgeting textbook from her Human Environmental Sciences coursework, then "A Random Walk Down Wall Street", then "Your Money Or Your Life", then books like "The Millionaire Next Door" and "The Richest Man In Babylon". All checked out of the library.
I also can recommend that aforementioned free online .pdf of "If You Can" by Bill Bernstein for younger investment-curious folks.

Bob-a-job

Post by Bob-a-job » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 pm
The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias. Solid, broad ranging financial advice and an easy read.
+1 A classic down to earth book.

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing. That book turned me on to this forum, not the other way around. I refer this book to anyone who wants a comprehensive survey of how to invest for the long run.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm

CppCoder wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 pm
The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing. That book turned me on to this forum, not the other way around. I refer this book to anyone who wants a comprehensive survey of how to invest for the long run.
+1

MP123

Post by MP123 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Bob-a-job wrote:
Peter Foley wrote:
+1 A classic down to earth book.
+2 it covers a lot of financial information in a fun way. Great for college kids or anyone really.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Free Reading: "If You Can" by Bernstein
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... -SB3S580I5

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm

There is so much good stuff available for free online that I don't think a general purpose book is necessary, though you still might prefer a book. You could learn more from the Bogleheads wiki than from 99% of the books on the shelf. And if you only read a book, you won't know when Livesoft is joking. Or maybe you only know if he's joking after you read a book. I forget.

There are also some really good investing podcasts. For a beginner, Paul Merriman is someone to listen to. He's also good to listen to if you're not a beginner.

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:23 pm

The Coffeehouse Investor: How to Build Wealth, Ignore Wall Street, and Get On with Your Life by Bill Schultheis is a good starting point.

I agree with others that the Boglehead's Guide is great, and there's free stuff online, but a book has a different heft to it somehow.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:29 am

HS teacher here. Most 18 year olds are going to find info online rather than reading books. Some good web sites, especially with forums might be a better option. This forum is going to be a bit much for an 18 year old new investor but there must be some good ones oriented towards basic boglehead type approaches.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 am

I would suggest one of Eric Tyson's books for your consideration. Any of them are good but my personal favorite is "Personal Finance for Dummies."
Bob

BL

Post by BL » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:34 am

Jane Bryant Quinn has some great personal finance books, which include investing advice:
Making the Most of Your Money Now
https://www.amazon.com/Making-Most-Your ... your+money

Also: Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People Paperback – (revised) November 15, 2014
by Jane Bryant Quinn (Author)
This one suggests you automate your savings so you don't have to even think about it.
Last edited by BL on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 am

The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read by Dan Solin.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:55 am

The Only Investment Guide You''ll Ever Need
Andrew Tobias,
Check Your Library.
https://books.google.com/books?id=DW8pC ... &q&f=false

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Investment- ... rew+tobias

:idea:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:28 am

HS teacher here. Most 18 year olds are going to find info online rather than reading books. Some good web sites, especially with forums might be a better option.
This X1,000,000

Bogleheads....The world has changed. Very few people under 30 actually go to the library, check out a paper book, and read it. Heck, I am in my early 50's and I rarely go to the library. I find pretty much whatever I need online.

texasdiver...I actually think the Wiki (not the forum) would be a good place for an 18-year old to start. I mean, it even has a link, "Start Here" :happy The other alternative is to tell that 18-year old to find the book on Kindle?

'If you can' is an amazing monograph. I gave it to my sons. They are investing early and often, in index funds.
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 am

This place needs a "The Bogleheads' Guide to the Bogleheads' Wiki"

It wouldn't hurt to have such an article written by an 18-year old. Or would it?

Another possibility is to ask your young adult to teach you about investing and see if that leads to shared knowledge.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

2kidsmom

Post by 2kidsmom » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:42 pm

You guys are fantastic! You are correct that the internet is where they turn, but the internet is so full of garbage about investing and she quickly realized that and asked me for advice, which is when I turned to you guys. This kid is a reader so she will be willing to read a book on investing and you wonderful Bogleheads have given me a wealth of places to start. I think it is a travesty that basics of investing are not taught in high school and college. She had a mandatory class on "how to study and be a successful freshman" but they did not talk at all about student loans or finance at all. I am a little panicky by how the amount of loans her friends are taking out. She is very rational (thank goodness) and picked a lower tier school that offered a fantastic scholarship which will allow her (with our help) to graduate debt free. I think it is ridiculous that even kids who are interested in understanding are not given any sort of basic information even about student loans.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:59 pm

CppCoder wrote:
Random Walk Down Wallstreet is my favorite but this is a close second.

DG99999

Post by DG99999 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm

A book that influenced me is an oldie - "Get Rich Slowly" by William T Spitz. Most likely you would need to buy it used at this point. Although it may feel slightly dated now, I think it is still a valuable read. The reason that I may have liked it is that when I was younger I may have related better to the writing which has slightly more of a "textbook feel" than most of the popular literature. That style may have made it feel more authoritative, and Spitz has a decent background in this regard.

Of course "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" is excellent as well.
I am not a financial professional. My posts are only my opinion on the topic. You need to do your own due diligence and consult with a professional when addressing your financial questions.

lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Good stuff above. As a former 18 year old girl, I’ll say that Beth Kobliner’s Get a Financial Life has stuck with me for 30 years now. Can’t recommend highly enough.

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:22 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:59 pm
CppCoder wrote:
They're both great books, but I view them as serving very different purposes. A Random Walk Down Wall Street is much more focused on investing ideas and methodologies but less so about building a practical plan. The Bogleheads' Guide is much more practical nuts and bolts of this is how you can build a practical plan for yourself that will lead to success. It's been a while since I read both, but if I recall, I thought A Random Walk was a more entertaining read with chapters about speculative bubbles, chartists, and modern portfolio theory, but I don't know that it helped me build an asset allocation and choose appropriate mutual funds. The Bogleheads' Guide was maybe less entertaining, but it was much more useful in teaching me how to build a simple, practical portfolio for self-management so that I could receive my fair share (vs. enriching an adviser for an inferior portfolio). I was never planning to do my own fundamental analysis to pick individual stocks, so it was more useful to me to learn how to pick the right index funds and build a lasting strategy. That said, if one is interested in investing, both are great reads. But, if I were giving an 18 year old a book to learn about the practicalities of building a life long portfolio, I'd start with the Bogleheads' Guide.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
In spite of the title, this book (when I read an earlier addition) focuses a lot on just making smart financial decisions. It was not all investing. I found it very helpful in keeping me from falling for some of the things that people sell you (car sales people, annuity sales people, when to take a loan vs when to pay cash, etc.)

The book has gone through several revisions since then (20 years ago), but I would expect it to still be an easy read and an eye opener. It's my "go to" suggestion for people wanting to learn about financial matters.

Howard Donnelly

Post by Howard Donnelly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 pm

The #1 book I would recommend is The Millionaire in You, by Michael LeBoeuf. It's a terrific book. I wish I could have read it when I was 18!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:23 am

Peter Foley wrote:
That was my first thought, and although I don't think the book has aged well, it might still be my first recommendation. The blunt, simple stuff in the first few chapters, like "chain letters never work," is great. Blunt stuff about whole life insurance. Blunt stuff about commodities.

It is a really good inoculation against serious foolishness and what I'll call "soft, gentle scams" (that don't kill you, but just keep draining tolerable amounts from you, like leeches or tapeworms).

I'm not so sure about ideas like calculating how many dollars' worth of canned tuna on sale can be easily stored under a kitchen table, though...

And lately he's gotten involved in endorsing some non-Bogleheadish investing idea, was it the Greenblatt Magic Formula? so I hope there isn't too much of that in the book, not that it's the worst thing you could read... I just checked Amazon "Look Inside the Book" and he does have high praise for Greenblatt and the Magic Formula. I can see that the index entry says pages 163-5 but I can only see p. 163. I'm not sure I want to read through the current edition--the last time I read the book was over ten years ago--but my recollection is that his point of view is more like "prudent active investing, but don't be stupid about it, and you could do much worse than indexing" than 100.0000% Boglehead.

Hmmm. Again I can only see bits here and there but it looks like he disses cap-weighted indexing and praises equal-weighted and fundamental indexing. Of course that's all to the good if you happen to agree with it. He does comment, this is the kind of thing I really like about him, that
easy strategies that would have beaten the market at a time when nobody was applying them have a tendency to lose potency once the strategies are advertised and exploited, and the same might apply here. And the fees these index funds charge are a little higher. (I'm not crazy about that part). But the risk in trying to get this extra 2% [from S&P 500 equal-weighted compared to S&P 500 cap-weighted] strikes me as small.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 am

Another vote for The Little Book of Common Sense Investing- John Bogle. And The Millionaire Next Door.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

3funder

Post by 3funder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:46 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 am
Another vote for The Little Book of Common Sense Investing- John Bogle. And The Millionaire Next Door.
+1. I haven't read either, but I can assure you, both are gems.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:34 am

3funder wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:46 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 am
+1. I haven't read either, but I can assure you, both are gems.
I have, the first will show you the how and why of low cost sensible investing, the second will tell you which behaviors to emulate if you one day wish to be independently financially well-off and which behaviors to avoid.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:34 am

CppCoder wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:22 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:59 pm
CppCoder wrote:
They're both great books, but I view them as serving very different purposes. A Random Walk Down Wall Street is much more focused on investing ideas and methodologies but less so about building a practical plan. The Bogleheads' Guide is much more practical nuts and bolts of this is how you can build a practical plan for yourself that will lead to success. It's been a while since I read both, but if I recall, I thought A Random Walk was a more entertaining read with chapters about speculative bubbles, chartists, and modern portfolio theory, but I don't know that it helped me build an asset allocation and choose appropriate mutual funds. The Bogleheads' Guide was maybe less entertaining, but it was much more useful in teaching me how to build a simple, practical portfolio for self-management so that I could receive my fair share (vs. enriching an adviser for an inferior portfolio). I was never planning to do my own fundamental analysis to pick individual stocks, so it was more useful to me to learn how to pick the right index funds and build a lasting strategy. That said, if one is interested in investing, both are great reads. But, if I were giving an 18 year old a book to learn about the practicalities of building a life long portfolio, I'd start with the Bogleheads' Guide.
Fair. Random Walk does instill a good understanding of the market and for me reinforces the Bogle indexing approach. I agree, especially for a younger investor, Intro is more focused. If I could only read one myself though I’d probably do Randon Walk supplemented with this site’s Wiki.

Kennyt7

Post by Kennyt7 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:45 am

RANDOM WALK DOWN WALL STREET IS A MUST READ FOR EVERY INVESTOR, THEN BOGLE'S BOOKS ON MUTUAL FUNDS!

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:07 am

I typed in Jack Bogle's "The Little Book of Commonsense Investing" and was surprised to find it (an older version anyway) in pdf fashion in the first link below (can't seem to get it to link properly as a URL, so you have to copy and paste into browser, or use second link which is google search for "The Little Book of Commonsense Investing" and it's the first link listed):

213.55.83.214:8181/Management/01278.pdf
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+lit ... fox-b-1-ab

seems to be hosted by St. Mary's University Online? Does anyone know why it's hosted at that website?

If the 18 year old wants to read a copy but can't find it at her local library, the link above works fine. I do think the videos I linked at bogleheads, done by Rick Van Ness are excellent. Short and to the point, graphically illustrate topics in an easy to understand fashion:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:B ... philosophy
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:23 am

If You Can mentioned above could be a good start. Very short, and has good book suggestions in it.

I also like Four Pillars of Investing by the same author, if she wants to go deep. I like the highly relevant historical perspective--not just history because history is fun.

Another possibility is David Swensen's Unconventional Success. I like the explanations why you should or should not include asset classes.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:47 pm

An inquisitive 18-year-old who is a voracious reader should enjoy Archetypes of Wisdom: An Introduction to Philosophy, by Douglas J. Soccio, which may be re-read from time to time to help her navigate the collection of myopic opinions that sometimes inform investment books. Perhaps she has another good survey philosophy text already that could serve the same purpose.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Howard Donnelly wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:43 pm
The #1 book I would recommend is The Millionaire in You, by Michael LeBoeuf. It's a terrific book. I wish I could have read it when I was 18!
I agree. This is a great book and very easy to read.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:54 pm

For a website, how about MrMoneyMustache.com?

But for a quick read about the basic skills for building your own personal capital, I agree with the recommendation for The Richest Man in Babylon. It's a bit corny, written for a different era, but all the fundamentals are there, and it's an easy read. Building a nest egg is more than just where to allocate your assets. Probably a better book for junior high or early high school, tho.

WallStreetPhysician

Post by WallStreetPhysician » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 am

2kidsmom wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:11 pm
I looked at the recommended reading on Bogleheads but am clueless about which book would be good for an 18 year old who is asking about investing. She has a ROTH IRA already (we match her earnings) in Fidelity ETFs because the total is not enough for index funds. She wants to be more involved in choosing funds and my statement of "pick something with low expense ratio" is not enough info for her. Anybody read all those books and have suggestions? No math issue, she is in Calculus 3, so she totally gets exponential growth. Anybody have an opinion on a good book?
I'll put in a vote for A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm

FBN2014 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 am
The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read by Dan Solin.
Agreed. This book concisely covers the basic conflicts of interest a new investor needs to know about, develops the three-fund portfolio, and alludes to factor investing. A very good first book.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 pm

WallStreetPhysician wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 am
2kidsmom wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:11 pm
I'll put in a vote for A Random Walk Down Wall Street.
I'd also recommend A Random Walk Down Wall Street, but my username would suggest I'm not unbiased. For a good overview, I'd also suggest The Little Book of Common Sense Investing.

See Taylor's Gems for his list of top quotes from most of the recommendations that folks have made: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Taylor_ ... tment_Gems

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Here's another gem, "The Investment Answer" by Daniel Goldie and Gordon Murray. About 90 pages and filled with great information for a beginner investor.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

metrunt

Post by metrunt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 pm

AerialP wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 pm
The best eye-opener for me when I was about 23 years old was: "Get A Financial Life: Personal Finance in your Twenties & Thirties" by Beth Kobliner.
I read this at age 20 and it changed my life.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:48 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:21 pm
If You Can by William Bernstein is an e-book. Google it. Then if that is digested, his other books from the library would be worthwhile.
+1good easyread. All she needs now.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:22 pm

A Simple Path to Wealth by Jim Collins.

Awesome book for someone just starting out. Jim wrote this for his daughter who has no interest in financial matters. It is a very enjoyable easy read!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

busdriver

Post by busdriver » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:23 am

While I've read and enjoyed many of the books mentioned above, I felt that keeping it short and simple would be paramount to achieving success in teaching my children, (22 & 25), the major fundamentals to investing. I chose two books to get the facts across. 1) Investing Made Simple by Mike Piper https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... mike+piper and 2) The Index Card by Helaine Olen and Harold Pollack https://www.amazon.com/Index-Card-Perso ... 077&sr=1-1

I really feel that these two books are concise and well suited to keep young adults stimulated to get the point across how easy and important investing can be.