Article on Bogleheads in Philly.com--The Bogleheads celebrate 20 years of low-cost index funds with patron 'Saint Jack'

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
MFInvestor

Article on Bogleheads in Philly.com--The Bogleheads celebrate 20 years of low-cost index funds with patron 'Saint Jack'

Post by MFInvestor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 am

The Bogleheads celebrate 20 years of low-cost index funds with patron 'Saint Jack' Bogle

Article about Bogleheads in Philly.com

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... 80216.html

Nice shout outs to Taylor, Lady Geek and Mel. Lots of good links in the article
This year, the Bogleheads movement turns 20. These folk follow the thrifty advice of Vanguard founder John Bogle, known in their circles as “Saint Jack,” and they meet regularly around the country, sharing investment knowledge, flinty bargains on everything from coffeemakers to long-term care policies, and functioning as a support group for the low-cost investor.

So just who are the Bogleheads of Philadelphia?

“The whole idea of the Bogleheads started kind of informally in Florida,” Bogle recalled. The original Bogleheads forum member, Taylor Larimore, now 94, invited Bogle to a get-together after an investment conference. Larimore lived full time in south Florida, where Bogle was speaking at a mutual fund conference. At the time, in early 1998, Larimore called his group the “Vanguard Diehards.”

Everything the Bogleheads do is “a 100 percent volunteer effort,” said Mel Lindauer, one of the Boglehead leaders; his Twitter handle is @bogleheads. There is no paid staff.

The Bogleheads forum online is a collaborative enterprise run by volunteer members of the Bogleheads Forum, such as “LadyGeek,” a Boglehead who declined to give her name.

iceport

Re: Article on Bogleheads in Philly.com--The Bogleheads celebrate 20 years of low-cost index funds with patron 'Saint Ja

Post by iceport » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:50 am

Great article, thanks! It really made me think about how grateful I am that this site exists.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Texanbybirth

Re: Article on Bogleheads in Philly.com--The Bogleheads celebrate 20 years of low-cost index funds with patron 'Saint Ja

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:00 pm

iceport wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:50 am
Great article, thanks! It really made me think about how grateful I am that this site exists.
+1 :beer

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm surprised the article didn't get locked when he asked Lady Geek her real name. :D

david1082b

Post by david1082b » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Executioners must needs be anonymous for sure.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Nice read!

I hadn't heard that Vanguard might lower the expense of their PAS product:

Vanguard’s new CEO, Mortimer “Tim” Buckley, has hinted in public appearances that the burgeoning advice business, known as Personal Advisory Service, could drop below its current price of 0.30 percent a year of assets, doing to the investment advice business what Vanguard has already done to index funds.

I would like to see that happen, might even sign up at some point to protect myself, wife, and heirs from myself! :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Great article! I, too, was intrigued by the referenced comment about Vanguard possibly lowering their advisory fees. Of note, the latest White Coat Investor podcast had a new (to me, anyways) sponsor... FirstMetric, who apparently charges 0.25% AUM fee (up to 5 Mil), then nothing additional after that.

I'm hopeful this will be the next Paradigm Shift in the industry, for those who embrace the Boglehead mentality, but want a bit of hand-holding with their financial planning/portfolio management.
Retired 2017 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced) | Current WR 2.8%

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Read it all, thanks for the link. Note, on the "stocks in freefall" part, currently 5555 replies [not the 55,000 or so replies listed on the article] close enough for government work. Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Grt2bOutdoors

The Bogleheads Celebrate 20 Years of Low Cost Index Funds

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:37 pm

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Read all about it - fresh off the press

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... om+Twitter
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

HueyLD

Re: The Bogleheads Celebrate 20 Years of Low Cost Index Funds

Post by HueyLD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:07 pm

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:57 pm

She told me the article would be published Sunday. :D

The reason for the large number of wiki links is that I'm also a wiki admin. I was showing her the wiki and forum from my cellphone during the meeting. The best introduction to the site is in the wiki - especially for new investors.

The meeting occurred after one of the most volatile market weeks ever. U.S. stocks in freefall was almost like twitter in real-time.

The presenter shown at the top of the article was discussing long-term care insurance.

The last wiki link in the article supplements a discussion on the 2017 tax law changes.
Chip wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:18 pm
I'm surprised the article didn't get locked when he asked Lady Geek her real name. :D
For clarification, Erin Arvedlund is "she".
david1082b wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:34 pm
Executioners must needs be anonymous for sure.
Yes, moderators and site admins need privacy to do what's needed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Great read! I am glad a found this forum. A fluke for me. I had a free subscription to Money Magazine. I do not know why. In 2005ish, I found an article on the Bogleheads in the Magazine.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm

In the last 20... two market crashes, and a very long bull-run as of late... makes me wonder what the next 20 years will be like?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:08 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm
In the last 20... two market crashes, and a very long bull-run as of late... makes me wonder what the next 20 years will be like?
Stick around and find out!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:21 pm

I merged Grt2bOutdoors's thread into here.
cfs wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:14 pm
Read it all, thanks for the link. Note, on the "stocks in freefall" part, currently 5555 replies [not the 55,000 or so replies listed on the article] close enough for government work. Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
Thanks! I notified the reporter. The article has been corrected:
The ongoing forum discussion on the volatility of the stock market: U.S. stocks in freefall started in 2011 (there are 5,500 or so replies and 1.2 million all-time views).
Apparently, you only get a limited number of free views before it's blocked. I just got blocked for the month. Bummer.

Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

iceport

Post by iceport » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:21 pm
Apparently, you only get a limited number of free views before it's blocked. I just got blocked for the month. Bummer.
Clearing the cache doesn't reset the count?
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:27 pm

I haven't looked into it yet, but it's viewing OK on a 2nd browser. This tells me they're not checking IP address. The browser cache would be a good possibility - most likely a cookie setting.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 pm

FWIW, this is the early online version of the story. I did an interview with Erin this afternoon and she stated that she'd be adding some of what we talked about to the article which will then appear in the print edition of The Philadelphia Inquirer either tomm. or Sunday.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi