How does one emotionally keep it together during market swings?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
GrayS26

How does one emotionally keep it together during market swings?

Post by GrayS26 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 pm

thanks

livesoft

Re: How does one emotionally keep it together during market swings?

Post by livesoft » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Experience helps. Get experience by watching your account values every.single.day for years.and.years.

Also, read 5 books on Behavioral Finance and take them to heart.

And if you ever participated in sports, you will almost never go undefeated. That is, you will lose. There are essentially no lasting consequences to losing. Even the top pro players lose or do dumb interesting things. So participating in sports helps, too.

So don't expect ever to be perfect and enjoy your losses.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm aware of market swings.
Also well studied in market behavior and the unpredictable nature of it.
Also have a solid, well though out IPS statement and stick to it.

Education is your friend. The more self studied you can be, the more dispassionate you can get about it.
It's just numbers after awhile.

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Education helps as well. Learning about the wild market swings of the past and how the market has always recovered helps one to maintain one's strategy.

In many situations, the best thing you can do is to consciously avoid checking on the market's performance and your portfolio balances. Depending on your investments, you can probably go at least a year between checking on your portfolio (assuming you choose to rebalance). If you use an all-in-one fund like a target date fund or a fund with a fixed AA, you can literally go years without checking. Put it out of your mind. It's harder to panic sell when you aren't constantly bombarding your brain with negative information.
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:10 pm
Education is your friend. The more sell studied you can be, the more dispassionate you can get about it.
:thumbsup

It is true that with experience and education, you can get to the point that you are much more objective in dealing with the situation.

Emotions have virtually no positive role to play in investing and should be kept at bay as much as possible.
Last edited by willthrill81 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Market is up: 'yay, my equity-heavy portfolio is growing!'

Market is down: 'yay, I can rebalance from bonds, and buy more equities at a discount!'

Basically, cultivate an attitude that sees silver linings in both ups and downs.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:12 pm

G-

Agree, it's experience. Plus being otherwise financially secure -- you have a secure job or enough cash for your needs. The more fragile your situation, the more likely you are to panic, and perhaps with good reason.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Ignore the noise. Auto Invest/Rebalance/Withdraw. Completely automate everything and worry about more important things that you have control over.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 pm

GrayS26 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 pm
thanks
That's not the question you intended to ask. You want to know about market downturns, not market swings.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 pm

OP,

Wellington Fund. 40% of my portfolio is in the Wellington Fund (65/35). It dampens all swings.

KlangFool

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:20 pm

I read on another thread that I can afford to purchase a car that equals the amount of the maximum daily loss of my portfolio. So I think about what kind of car I will purchase next.

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:28 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 pm
Experience helps. Get experience by watching your account values every.single.day for years.and.years.

Getting the experience cited above will lead to boredom with market swings.

It is also helpful to review when you need to convert your market holdings to cash. Do you need to sell this week, month, year, or decade? Today's value is of small concern for volatile holdings you need in a decade.

An Exercise:
Test yourself on market swings. When was the last time the S&P 500 dipped by 10% or more in a three month time span? Can you remember?

You can find out easily by checking the history of SPY. Spoiler: it was from November 2015 to February 2016. If you didn't remember that, ask yourself how the current market swings will be remembered in 2020 or 2021.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Volatility Is An Inherent Part Of Investing.
Remember that Word-Inherent(existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute)
Unavoidable if you invest in the markets and are seeking Growth,Growth & Income.No Risk No Reward.
If you are not emotionally prepared for the long term ride,and the risk(losses) that it entails so that you may have some gold in your golden years,then stick with savings accounts and CDs.
Fear Nothing,
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:58 pm

It's interesting that we're already 11 replies deep and nobody's yet mentioned the obvious:

Read the Bogleheads forum!

I suppose that's a version of finding others you can trust to help keep your long term perspective intact. But that's a perfectly valid tactic. Just as professional money managers often admit that they rely on an objective perspective from someone else to help manage their own finances, small investors should certainly not be expected to be wholly self-reliant when it comes to weathering extreme market volatility.

The key is finding reliable and trustworthy sounding boards. For that, I can think of no better resource than this very forum. But there are also numerous ethical and trustworthy professionals, authors and journalists out there who could serve a similar function, beyond this forum.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Noobvestor wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 pm
Market is up: 'yay, my equity-heavy portfolio is growing!'

Market is down: 'yay, I can rebalance from bonds, and buy more equities at a discount!'

Basically, cultivate an attitude that sees silver linings in both ups and downs.
This

Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Have a long-term perspective.

Have a plan that supports the long term perspective.

Stick to the plan.

MJW

Post by MJW » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:11 pm

It's also important to recognize that your emotions need not be a trigger for taking action. You can "feel bad" about it without having to do anything. It is easier to control what you do or don't do about your emotions than it is to keep them from arising in the first place. Over time, weakening the link in your brain between an emotion and action can eventually result in a better ability to regulate the emotion.

I did nothing in response to the latest market drop. However, I do not enjoy seeing my balances drop. My reaction was "Well, that sucks," and then went on with my life. I am not one of those people that wishes for the market to tank or react with glee about "buying opportunities." Personally I find those attitudes a bit obnoxious when other members go out of their way to express them, but I can also appreciate that other people are wired differently than me. I agree with the other responses, though, that if "keeping it together" emotionally is a real challenge, that should give you insight about your risk tolerance.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:26 pm

You should expect the market to do these things. It is not a matter of "if", it is only a matter of "when". If you expect it to happen, it won't bother you when it does.

RNJ

Post by RNJ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Having the correct asset allocation for you helps. A lot.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Look at this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=139157

Find the long ones that include the last recession. You will see people with various incomes and saving amounts. See how staying the course works out.

Also:

Ignore TV, coworkers, family, friends, news sites.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Just doesn't bother me; I think about the discounted dividend reinvestments I'm receiving when prices tank :sharebeer

Adjusting your portfolio allocation to your risk tolerance might help. We are all wired differently so know thyself :D
No Where for Very Long...

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:04 pm

When the market goes down, I don't look at my balances for as long as I can. :)
When/if needed, I'll fall back on my emergency fund.
This is mentioned in the note from Vanguard on market corrections, https://investornews.vanguard/how-to-na ... rrections/ but I've been doing it awhile.

"Tune out the noise: There’s an old adage: “Never check your account when stocks are tanking.” It’s smart advice. As the graphics above show, making a decision based on a recent market event usually results in a mistake."

Good Luck.

alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:05 pm

You need to accept that declines are part of the game. You also need to accept that it is entirely possible for markets to enter long stretches of 10+ years of declines similar to what happened in Japan. Once you can accept these scenarios as reality, devise your asset allocation according to that. You need to be honest as well. Don't just assume you'll be able to handle the emotions. We take risks everyday. I take a deadly risk getting in my car every morning to go to work. I'm on the highway with people driving 80+ mph and some are trying to send a text message at the same time. But I drive cautiously and defensively and don't think twice about it. This is how you should be with your investments as well.
Last edited by alwayshedge on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:05 pm

RNJ wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:32 pm
Having the correct asset allocation for you helps. A lot.
+1 on the above.

It’s times like this that investors really find out what their “risk tolerance” truly is.

When things are going great and the market is going up, investors can be fooled into thinking that they can accept lots of volatility without changing their asset allocation.

But when markets start churning wildly like we have recently seen, the truth comes out about one’s aversion to loss.
A truly well thought out, honest assessment of one’s willingness to accept losses may help you to ride out the storm.
If you can’t sleep at night and you are constantly checking your account because you worry about the bleeding, then you need to make a change.
It requires being really honest with yourself about losing money.
Don

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Every time I buy something, I expected to lose money or value, before that something begins to gain value.
Oft times, I am surprised that I made money in the investment, real quick like. It is those times when I get worried. :oops: :annoyed
Ymmv :P
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:22 pm

GrayS26 wrote:
thanks
I just read some of your first posts on the forum which seem to show you are unusually well off for your age yet wrestle with substantial worries about the market. Here's one of those posts:

"I have this fear like what if the markets go down and stay down. I'm very afraid of the system no longer working for investors, not saying this would happen or anything but it's just a fear not based on any evidence or anything but it still worries me."

Is this what is still worrying you now? Do you still have a balanced fund?
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Gray... it's a market and that is what markets do. The last eight years is not what markets should be expected to do.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:33 pm

I laugh! The husband and I sometimes look at what the markets are doing and simply laugh. Then we go back to watching television or eating lunch or whatever we were doing.

We are comfortable with our asset allocation. The markets will do what they will do.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 pm

You could invest in a multifactor portfolio as described by Larry Swedroe. These portfolios are not highly correlated to market beta according to his research. Unfortunately, the retail funds that use multiple factors don't have histories which include a deep bear market.

DMW

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 pm

I've been expecting the market to drop for YEARS now, so I've come to terms with the fact that this will happen. I've been staying the course and will continue to do so -- because my prediction was obviously quite wrong.

I also am early in my career, so this is an opportunity to buy new shares at a discount.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm

FWIW, the more of these "downs" that you live through----the more experience and education you obtain----the easier it becomes. I distinctly recall the dread I felt back in 1973/74 and then, again, in 1987. However, as future negative "swings" occurred, I was able to live through each and every one of them with less and less anxiety. And relative to the "down" of the last several weeks? Well, I've "seen this movie before."
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:13 pm

For me, it is confidence in my ability to earn money, in good times and bad, and live frugally while saving for the future. Build up your potential as a worker and exercise your cheapness muscle from time to time. No one would willingly give up their net worth, but knowing that you could survive without it helps.

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Well, I've been thinking that my asset allocation was too high (80%+) and that I should adjust. Checked the accounts last week and saw almost 6 figures in losses (might have actually been, as I did not check them all). Surprisingly, it didn't bother me at all. Market goes up, market goes down. Figure if it keeps going down I'll start buying more than I already am. I guess it helps that I have plenty of runway left.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:10 pm
Education is your friend. The more self studied you can be, the more dispassionate you can get about it.
Agreed. Though to add to your point, you have to be choosy as a lot of the stuff out there isn't education but entertainment. I have an MBA and I was like a kid in a candy store whenever the finance, economics, and investment banking related topics came up in my classes. But I think a lot of people are looking to dubious sources like CNBC and Bloomberg, and forums like /r/investing. That will only add to anxiety, leaving you with a feeling that you'd better keep monitoring so you can protect your money. CNBC in particular seems engineered to produce anxiety, but that is in their interest and in the interest of their advertisers, not yours.

I like reading Berkshire's 2008 letter to shareholders. You don't sense panic; you sense an analytical person who is looking for opportunities, in the depths of a terrible financial crisis. It was published just days before the stock market bottomed.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2008ltr.pdf

I also like reading The Economist, though it is clearly somewhere between education and entertainment.

NibbanaBanana

Post by NibbanaBanana » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Become a student of the financial markets. Read the many good books on the history of the financial markets, bubbles, speculation and so forth. This will entirely change your perspective.

Also always remember NibbanaBanana's first rule of investing: "It's easy to be risk tolerant in a rising market."

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Having retired last year, this is the first market correction that I have experienced in my deaccumulation phase.

While I am not happy about it, I am remaining calm and sticking to my chosen asset allocation. If anything it has made me realize that my allocation is a good one for my level of risk tolerance.

If we descend into a bear market I will likely stay the course but I will reevaluate my decision to delay taking SS until 70. This would help me avoid selling low and We could hunker down and live pretty comfortably on our SS benefits as a couple plus the earnings on our TIAA traditional and a similar investment that we hold. We could then leave our equities which are 50% of our portfolio alone to recover. We are in our mid 60's so at least we would not be starting our SS benefits at 62.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Don't look so often. It's easier to deal with emotions once a year or once a quarter when you rebalance on schedule rather than continually. You do not have to construct a spreadsheet to update your net worth in real time. You do not need to remember what the DOW was yesterday, let alone what the peak was. You don't have to listen to the news. If you do it's fortunate almost all financial news is incoherent, and lacks context. It takes some effort to extract anything meaningful. Don't make that effort.

Also you don't need to keep it emotionally together. Catatonia is perfectly effective at preventing rash action.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Mentioned it several times already on this site, but it was Milton Friedman (I believe) who paraphrasing said to the effect it was the DUTY of the equity investors to experience losses on occasion AND they should do it without second guessing their plan. In the end, those who truly believe that are no more surprised then when their spouse who has a bad day at work yells at them for some minor issue at home It comes with the territory. It isn't like you think about divorcing when that happens as you accept that is NORMAL. Well markets go up and down and sideways all the time AND for NO REASON AT ALL. Accept that and you make the perfect investor.

To those believing education is key are not completely correct. I believe it was Richard Thaler's co author on one of his books that wrote to him when the markets were shuddering saying he was getting jittery and was ready to pull out. I think Mr. Thaler's response was go re read the book we just wrote about behavioral finance. What happened? That guy still jumped out of the market. So education helps, but is not fool proof. Heck, is there one study showing better returns from academic finance guys vs. the amateur finance guys (us)? I don't think so.

Good luck.

p.s. As I have said before the goal of every investor is to get to the point of financial indifference where they simply do not care what happens to their money on a day to day basis. Just figure out where to put new money to keep one's asset allocation in line and rinse/ repeat.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Experience. It comes with time. It took me years to understand.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:49 pm

“It’s all BS” ; I’ve posted this several times

It is a direct quote from a buddy working on WallStreet

Xyz214

Post by Xyz214 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Knowing that I don't need the money in the next 20 years. If the market drops, I get to buy more share for every pay period and I also see it as an opportunity to buy shares with prices from the past.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 pm

And if you ever participated in sports, you will almost never go undefeated. That is, you will lose. There are essentially no lasting consequences to losing. Even the top pro players lose or do dumb interesting things. So participating in sports helps, too.

So don't expect ever to be perfect and enjoy your losses.
Lifesoft, of the 5 book you read, what would be your top recommendation(s)? Thanks!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:06 pm

"Make sure that you don't take more risk with your asset allocation than your stomach can handle because the stomach will take over the decision making . . . and I've yet to meet a stomach that makes good decisions."

Larry Swedroe Why discipline is so important as key to successful investing

Larry's summary:
Warren Buffett has accurately stated that “investing is simple, but not easy.” The simple part is that the winning strategy is to act like the lowly postage stamp, which adheres to its letter until it reaches its destination. Similarly, investors should stick to their asset allocation until they reach their financial goals.

The reason that successful investing remains so hard is that it can be difficult for many individuals to control their emotions — greed and envy in bull markets and fear and panic in bear markets. In fact, I’ve come to believe that bear markets are the mechanism by which assets are transferred from those with weak stomachs and no investment plan to those with a well-thought-out plan (meaning they anticipate bear markets) and the discipline to follow it.

A necessary condition for staying disciplined is to have a plan to which you can adhere. But that’s not enough. The sufficient condition is that you must be sure your plan avoids taking more risk than you have the ability, willingness, and need to assume. If you exceed any of those, you just might find your stomach taking over. The bottom line: If you do not have a plan, develop one. If you do have a plan, and it’s well-thought-out, stick to it.

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Also, think back to November last year. Were things so miserable then? No harm in revisiting that time, financially. Revising 2009 on the other hand... :twisted:

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Finridge wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:02 pm
Lifesoft, of the 5 book you read, what would be your top recommendation(s)? Thanks!
I suggest Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes by Gilovich and Belsky for first-time readers of behavioral finance. Then I highly recommend Meir Statman's recent Finance for Normal People. Statman can be a tough slog for newcomers to the field, but I found it more up-to-date than the older popular books.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 pm
OP,

Wellington Fund. 40% of my portfolio is in the Wellington Fund (65/35). It dampens all swings.

KlangFool
Indeed a good fund, and I have substantial stakes in both this and Wellesley income.

Having said that, I don't think it is going to do as much dampening in a rising interest evironment. The performance over the last month was only marginally less volatile than S&P 500.

As to OP, here is why it doesn't really bother me:

1. I tell myself it doesn't really matter. I don't need the money now. It will be another 10-15 years before I touch any of it.
2. Allows me the opporunity to buy more shares when I contribute
3. If it goes down enough gives me opportunity to rebalance and get more shares of stock
4. I've been through enough swings to know that usually long term it turns out OK.
5. I remind myself I can't time the market.
6. Remind myself I can either be in or out of the market long term. I don't want to be sitting on gobs of idle cash for decades, so I have no choice but to enjoy the ride.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm
To those believing education is key are not completely correct. I believe it was Richard Thaler's co author on one of his books that wrote to him when the markets were shuddering saying he was getting jittery and was ready to pull out. I think Mr. Thaler's response was go re read the book we just wrote about behavioral finance. What happened? That guy still jumped out of the market. So education helps, but is not fool proof. Heck, is there one study showing better returns from academic finance guys vs. the amateur finance guys (us)? I don't think so.
Yes, Thaler's co-author on the book "Nudge" was Cass Sunstein, a legal scholar (Harvard law professor). He wrote an article about his mistakes made in 2011 and it was debated on this forum thread:
viewtopic.php?t=136956
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 pm
OP,

KlangFool
Indeed a good fund, and I have substantial stakes in both this and Wellesley income.

Having said that, I don't think it is going to do as much dampening in a rising interest evironment. The performance over the last month was only marginally less volatile than S&P 500.
JBTX,

1) That was good enough for me.

2) It rebalances for me.

KlangFool

1nv3s70r

Post by 1nv3s70r » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:32 pm

1. Have an IPS and appropriate AA
2. Have a emergency fund with enough in safe $ that you can sleep at night
3. Experience

One gets to the point where this all becomes boring and you don't feel a need to look at balances more than once or twice a year.
One accepts that market gyrations are the very price you pay for better investment returns.
One yawns at the swings and goes back to spending precious time on what matters - actually living your life :)
I am Boglehead, hear my investments roar

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 pm

GrayS26 wrote:
thanks
Don't look or watch the news ?