The Money Show - Coming to a Town near you

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
djpeteski

The Money Show - Coming to a Town near you

Post by djpeteski » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

I just got an invite to an event called "The Money Show".

Essentially a trade conference where the finance industry tries to sell us it's wares. If it would were free, I might consider going. However, the $139 price tag to attend makes it an easy "no thanks".

Has anyone attended one of these events? Is there any value at all?

They are going to Orlando, Las Vegas, San Fran, Dallas, and Toronto. They also have "TraderExpo" events in NY and Chicago.

tesuzuki2002

Re: The Money Show - Coming to a Town near you

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 pm

:oops: :D :moneybag :dollar
djpeteski wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Essentially a trade conference where the finance industry tries to sell us it's wares. If it would were free, I might consider going. However, the $139 price tag to attend makes it an easy "no thanks".

They are going to Orlando, Las Vegas, San Fran, Dallas, and Toronto. They also have "TraderExpo" events in NY and Chicago.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Years ago, when Jack Bogle was the keynote speaker at the Money Show in Orlando, the Money Show folks invited us to have our Bogleheads group attend. Since it was on rather short notice, we made it an "unofficial" Bogleheads Conference, and thus isn't included in the official Bogleheads Conference count (#17 later this year).

About 20 or so of us attended and then got together with Jack for a private dinner/meeting after his speech.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm

djpeteski wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

I thought they were free! When did they start charging for them?!!

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm
Years ago, when Jack Bogle was the keynote speaker at the Money Show in Orlando, the Money Show folks invited us to have our Bogleheads group attend. Since it was on rather short notice, we made it an "unofficial" Bogleheads Conference, and thus isn't included in the official Bogleheads Conference count (#17 later this year).

About 20 or so of us attended and then got together with Jack for a private dinner/meeting after his speech.
Now that sounds very worthwhile! Exhibitors like "Action Forex" and "Option Pit" not so much. At least the Option Pit has some truth in advertising.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Like many conferences, they combine a big expo hall, free seminars, and pay seminars that all overlap. You can sign up for the free seminars + expo hall access at no cost. The 2-hours long pay seminars which they call "Master Classes" are $139 each, or you can pay a higher price to attend as many of those as you wish.

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:

Mel, hope your memory is better than mine.

I saw/heard Jack Bogle speak at one of The Money Show presentations in Chicago a "few" years back. It was either in the late 90's or early 2000's.

Do you (or any other BH) know what year Jack was a speaker at the Money Show in Chicago ??

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:10 pm

1210sda wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:46 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Mel, hope your memory is better than mine.

I saw/heard Jack Bogle speak at one of The Money Show presentations in Chicago a "few" years back. It was either in the late 90's or early 2000's.

Do you (or any other BH) know what year Jack was a speaker at the Money Show in Chicago ??

You may be referring to Jack's appearance at the Morningstar Conference in Chicago. We held our third annual Bogleheads Conference in conjunction with that year's M* Conference where Jack was the Keynote Speaker. IIRC, that would have been in 2002.

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Funny how every topic under the sun has a thread here at bogleheads. :D

I received an email to register for free for the MoneyShow conference in Las Vegas. I was tempted to start my own thread when I thought I'd do a search on "moneyshow" and it came up with this thread.

So...is it worth it or a waste of time? I would have to fly to Las Vegas and might book a cheap flight now. Of course, Vegas is fun anyway. :)

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I have been to the Money Show in Orlando a few times, If you follow the BH concept of index investing there is not much to learn. Mainly sales people pitching Newsletters, IBD subscriptions, MLP'S, Mutual funds, and Annuities. It can be entertaining but not much useful info for an index investor, I find the BH forum much more informative. Average age of attendee is 80. I would definitely attend if Jack Bogle was giving a talk.

haban01

Post by haban01 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:

Mel. That was an amazing night for myself and Adrian Nenu back in 2005 :).
Eric Haban | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless" | | Wisconsin Bogleheads Chapter Coordinator

anoop

Post by anoop » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:03 pm

nova1968 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:35 pm
I have been to the Money Show in Orlando a few times, If you follow the BH concept of index investing there is not much to learn. Mainly sales people pitching Newsletters, IBD subscriptions, MLP'S, Mutual funds, and Annuities. It can be entertaining but not much useful info for an index investor, I find the BH forum much more informative. Average age of attendee is 80. I would definitely attend if Jack Bogle was giving a talk.
OK, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Apparently, it's not all free. I get a basic registration for free, but there are many premium master classes which cost $109 each, e.g. dividend growth strategy, value investing 101, etc.

I think you have it right. Maybe good entertainment, but other than that I would probably need to be more careful about signing up for weird stuff. By allowing me to attend free, they get to give my name and address to all the sales people.

The funny part is that once I register, there is no way to unregister online...maybe with a call.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:38 pm

haban01 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Mel. That was an amazing night for myself and Adrian Nenu back in 2005 :).
Yep, and you and Adrian were my "bodyguards" after the dinner when we had to walk through a dark and deserted parking lot to get to my car which was parked way out in the far reaches of that huge parking lot.