jlcollinsnh - Stock Series

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 am

A very Boglehead approach to investing and very well organized. A great place to start learning from the ground up.

Also, his book based on the Stock Series:
"The Simple Path to Wealth" by JL Collins
"The Simple Path to Wealth" -- A Gem

From his Manifesto:
Here are some of the things I’ve learned along the way:

Spend less than you earn – invest the surplus – avoid debt

Do simply this and you’ll wind up rich. Not just in money.

If your lifestyle matches or, god forbid exceeds, your income you are no more than a gilded slave.

As individuals we only have one obligation to society: To make sure we, and our children, are not a burden to others.

The rest is your personal choice. Make your own and make the world a far more interesting place.

While giving is a fine and pleasant thing, no one has an obligation to do so. Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you something, most likely the idea of giving to them and/or their pet project.

Spend sparingly. Tip generously.

You own the things you own and they in turn own you.

Money can buy many things, but nothing more valuable than your freedom.

Life choices are not always about the money, but you should always be clear about the money choice you are making.

Without [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] Money you are a slave. If you have debt, you are a slave with still stouter shackles.

You weren’t born to be a slave.
Last edited by Rowan Oak on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

kksmom

Re: jlcollinsnh - Stock Series

Post by kksmom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 am

The simple path to wealth is great book

Here is a short video by the author re FU money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikbQPldhPY

snarlyjack

Post by snarlyjack » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 am

Rowan,

Your learning. Way to go...

John Collins is awesome.
If you really study what he is doing. 1 fund (TSM) very low ER .04
2 funds at the most (Total Bond Fund). AA of 100 or 90/10, or 80/20.

That's all a person really needs. Super efficient, low ER, just keep
investing (good time's & bad times). Let time (compounding) work
it's magic.

This is basically my strategy. Everything else is a distraction...

JDot

Post by JDot » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am

So I originally started learning about financial stuffs and investing here at this forum. I am forever grateful that this place exists. From this platform I found "early retirement" and "frugal life" type forums/bloggers.

JL Collins is referenced a lot in the early retirement community. I find his stuff to be largely consistent with what I learned here at bogleheads.org. I'm interested to hear what others say.

For entertainment purposes, I recently discovered this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikbQPldhPY

Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:05 am

kksmom wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 am
The simple path to wealth is great book

Here is a short video by the author re FU money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikbQPldhPY
Agreed. I have edited the original post to include a link.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

Biglaw Investor

Post by Biglaw Investor » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 am

JDot wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am
JL Collins is referenced a lot in the early retirement community. I find his stuff to be largely consistent with what I learned here at bogleheads.org. I'm interested to hear what others say.
JL Collins is the real deal. My experience is that his writing meshes very well with Boglehead philosophy.

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 pm

IMO he's just another blogger with no credentials speaking far outside his area of expertise. I would not attribute much value to any of his advice beyond the basic live below your means and invest with low expense ratios. Like Mr. Money Mustache, I view it as more of a lifestyle blog than an investing blog.

I read the whole series and was not impressed. I consider his advice on asset allocation in "Article XXIII" to be particularly awful.

Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 pm

JDot wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am
So I originally started learning about financial stuffs and investing here at this forum. I am forever grateful that this place exists. From this platform I found "early retirement" and "frugal life" type forums/bloggers.

For entertainment purposes, I recently discovered this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikbQPldhPY
For investors who believe in Simplicity you will appreciate the writings of JL Collins.

He actually uses a Two-fund portfolio consisting of Total Stock and Total Bond exactly as Jack Bogle endorses in
"Little Book of Common Sense Investing--10th Anniversary Edition".

Like Jack Bogle he doesn't include International Stocks in his own portfolio for three reasons: Added risk, added expense and we’ve got it covered.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:33 pm

I enjoy JL Collins' book and website. Useful stuff.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

A Simple Path to Wealth -- A Gem

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Rowan Oak:

I also think that "The Simple Path to Wealth" by Mr. Collins is a very good book. I copied many of his valuable quotes and they are included in my Investment Gems. This is the link:

The Simple Path to Wealth

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

kksmom

Post by kksmom » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 am

JL Collins: "The Simple Path to Wealth" | Talks at Google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71ibcZAX3I

Kevin K

Post by Kevin K » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 am

i've given his "Simple Path to Wealth" to two nieces just beginning their working lives because its brevity and clarity should help them get onto the right path for saving and investing.

That said, his 100% equity or 90:10 allocation makes all the sense in the world during the early decades of the accumulation phase but IMHO ought to be supplemented with careful study of far less dangerous portfolios over time. Two fund fans and Mr. Collins himself could learn a thing or three about risk and reward here:

https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolios/

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am

oldzey wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:33 pm
I enjoy JL Collins' book and website. Useful stuff.
++
Act soon... time is running out

jjface

Post by jjface » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am

Personally I think "If you can" cannot be beat as an introduction to investing. https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
Short and simple.

If you want to go more complicated than that I wouldn't turn to Jlcollinsnh. Though I see he is pretty popular and some appreciate his style of humor. I find his investing style too aggressive and it can be dangerous for newbies to go 100% stocks without thinking more carefully about their risk tolerance. He touches on it but doesn't emphasize it enough in my opinion.

Kevin K

Post by Kevin K » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 pm

jjface wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am
Personally I think "If you can" cannot be beat as an introduction to investing. https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
Short and simple.

If you want to go more complicated than that I wouldn't turn to Jlcollinsnh. Though I see he is pretty popular and some appreciate his style of humor. I find his investing style too aggressive and it can be dangerous for newbies to go 100% stocks without thinking more carefully about their risk tolerance. He touches on it but doesn't emphasize it enough in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing Mr. Bernstein's great booklet. I know I read it years ago and couldn't agree more: far superior to the J. Collins stuff. Unfortunately Collins is part of a pretty influential contingent that includes Mr. Money Mustache, Go Curry Cracker and others that exclusively recommend 100% or nearly 100% TSM portfolios to millennials. Mr. Bernstein, like many others who post here, has lived through enough market crashes (and seen enough "stay the course" investor clients panic and sell at the bottom during market crashes) to be much more nuanced in his advice while still keeping things simple.