Electronic delivery of forms

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
PinotGris

Electronic delivery of forms

Post by PinotGris » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 am

I am talking about delivery TO the investment company. I have spent two days trying to deliver to Vanguard a completed and signed form for transfer of shares. The only choice I have it seems is fax or snail mail. You would think a company that encourages me to accept delivery my documents electronically would also be able to accept them.
I have tried uploading JPEG of the forms to my Rep via email and her mail apparently gets stripped of attachments. Then I tried saving them as PDF - for which I needed to go to the library since to don't have the software -and emailed them. Don't know yet if she got them or not, it being a holiday today.

Does your company accept uploading of documents electronically?

livesoft

Re: Electronic delivery of forms

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:15 am

Both TDAmeritrade and WellsFargo accept attachments to their internal messaging system used by clients to send them completed forms.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:18 am

Yes, my non-Vanguard brokerage accepts upload of images.

However, I have no objection over using fax.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:25 am

chabil wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 am
Then I tried saving them as PDF - for which I needed to go to the library since to don't have the software -and emailed them.
As an aside, there are pdf generators available for free. I recommend "CutePDF Writer", I use it all the time and even prefer it to my full Adobe Acrobat license for making a quick "print" (to PDF) of something. Simple to use, it shows up in the Printer list, so all I do is "print" to the PDF. http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp I know there are other similar programs too.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am

chabil wrote:
You would think a company that encourages me to accept delivery my documents electronically would also be able to accept them.
They only encourage electronic delivery because it saves them money. Having a robust, secure, 2-way electronic document transfer system will cost them money, so they opt for old-fashioned fax or snail-mail, circa 1980's.

Sigh...I miss the 80's.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

billthecat

Post by billthecat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am

chabil wrote:
I am talking about delivery TO the investment company. I have spent two days trying to deliver to Vanguard a completed and signed form for transfer of shares. The only choice I have it seems is fax or snail mail. You would think a company that encourages me to accept delivery my documents electronically would also be able to accept them.
I have tried uploading JPEG of the forms to my Rep via email and her mail apparently gets stripped of attachments. Then I tried saving them as PDF - for which I needed to go to the library since to don't have the software -and emailed them. Don't know yet if she got them or not, it being a holiday today.

Does your company accept uploading of documents electronically?
This is something that really frustrates me. Faxing just won't die. My 401K provider only accepts mail and fax for distribution instructions.

Macs (and iPhones too) have print-to-PDF built in. Or, there are free Windows add-ons for that too.

You can also fax from places like Staples, FedEx Kinkos, and other office supply stores.

You could e-fax, if you trust the intermediary to safely handle your info (I don't).

Or do what I think most of us do - fax from work. :)

Sadly, you can't use your mobile phone as a fax modem for your computer. I get the technical reasons why but it's irritating.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:05 pm

chabil wrote:
Then I tried saving them as PDF - for which I needed to go to the library since to don't have the software -and emailed them. Don't know yet if she got them or not, it being a holiday today.
Get PrimoPDF on your computer - it's a free application that functions like a "printer" and prints to PDF. Awesome. Personally, I found faxing a major antiquated nuisance that requires one to print the document, then drive to FedEx or somewhere to fax it!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.