International Small-cap Value Funds ??

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
e_swami

International Small-cap Value Funds ??

Post by e_swami » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:06 pm

I like Merriman's Ultimate-buy-and-hold approach. However, Vanguard does not seem to have any funds for the "International small cap value" asset class. Are there any alternatives that work, other than going to DFA?

david1082b

Re: International Small-cap Value Funds ??

Post by david1082b » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:23 pm

I searched International Small-cap Value, and found a page with the promising title "Top 6 International Small Cap Value ETFs"; however, when I clicked on it it only had on entry: "WisdomTree International Hedged SmallCap Dividend Fund". Not necessarily what I expected. Furthermore, when I clicked on the title of the fund I got this page that said:
This ETF is no longer active.
Something of a tragedy it seems.

http://etfdb.com/themes/international-s ... alue-etfs/
http://etfdb.com/etf/HDLS/

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:25 pm

There isn't much to chose from. Some here like DGS WisdomTree Emerging Markets SmallCap Dividend Fund for EM SCV. Look at DLS WisdomTree International SmallCap Dividend Fund to see if you like the factor loadings. There are multifactor funds widely available now and I tend to favor those, but that is NOT what Paul Merriman is telling you to buy.

RNJ

Post by RNJ » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Schwab Fundamental Small Co ETF (FNDC)

http://www.morningstar.com/etfs/ARCX/FNDC/quote.html

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:31 pm

RNJ wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:29 pm
Schwab Fundamental Small Co ETF (FNDC)

http://www.morningstar.com/etfs/ARCX/FNDC/quote.html
I somehow forgot about that one even though I own it, LOL.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Well, based on Morningstar the Schwab Fundamental Small Co ETF is not an international small value product (small/mid blend?). Thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Buttery Lobster

Post by Buttery Lobster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm

I opted against FNDC for my international small-cap developed slice. Its average market cap is bigger than SCHC and DLS, it doesn't seem particularly more valuey than SCHC, and is really heavily concentrated in Japan (over 37%).

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:37 pm

Buttery Lobster wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm
I opted against FNDC for my international small-cap developed slice. Its average market cap is bigger than SCHC and DLS, it doesn't seem particularly more valuey than SCHC, and is really heavily concentrated in Japan (over 37%).
Fundamental indexes lead to overweighting countries and specific sectors. If you override the weighting to give it a similar country and sector weighting to a float weighted index, you reintroduce price.

e_swami

Post by e_swami » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 pm

SCHC and FNDC are not very different from VFSVX. These are all intl small cap but not necessarily "value"

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... true#tab=2

Buttery Lobster

Post by Buttery Lobster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:37 pm
Fundamental indexes lead to overweighting countries and specific sectors. If you override the weighting to give it a similar country and sector weighting to a float weighted index, you reintroduce price.
I don't necessarily target a weighting closer to float-weighted, I just prefer the way WisdomTree caps any single country or sector to 25% of the fund to maintain a bit more diversification. Some of these fundamental funds can exceed 40% weighting in a single country or sector, which starts to look more like a bet on that country.

Buttery Lobster

Post by Buttery Lobster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:17 pm

e_swami wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 pm
SCHC and FNDC are not very different from VFSVX. These are all intl small cap but not necessarily "value"
The big difference is that VFSVX holds about 20% in emerging markets. So if you want a broad international small-cap fund, that's would work great (same as VSS) for a very low ER. Otherwise if you wanted to break out your developed international holdings from EM, SCHC is essentially the same as the developed 80% of VFSVX/VSS, while DGS/EWX/EEMS would be good stand-alone small cap emerging markets choices.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:45 pm

At this point, I only own VSS/VFSVX for international small cap. (It is our largest equity position.) None of the international small-cap value funds that I have access to are compelling yet.

I have my eye on ISCF (iShares EDGE MSCI Multifactor International Small Cap ETF), but at the moment it only has $29.9MM in assets. It is a bit over two years old, but it essentially attracted no assets at all until iShares cut the fee to 40 bp a year ago from 60 bp. It has still been a slow process, picking up one $3 MM creation unit every few months.

But I like the way the iShares international multi-factor funds are put together. I bought EMGF, ISCF's emerging markets sister fund with a free trade in my Lively-TD Ameritrade HSA a few months ago. EMGF, at 45 bp, has picked up a bit of steam, passed $100 MM, and is now at $117.5 MM. It's not particularly liquid, but it crossed my threshold for a buy-and-hold position in a tax-advantaged account.

Random Walker

Post by Random Walker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:02 pm

I don't know any alternatives other than DFA. But I do think it's a valuable asset class. Think I've read it's an even better diversified than EM.

Dave

e_swami

Post by e_swami » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:48 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:45 pm
At this point, I only own VSS/VFSVX for international small cap. (It is our largest equity position.) None of the international small-cap value funds that I have access to are compelling yet.

I have my eye on ISCF (iShares EDGE MSCI Multifactor International Small Cap ETF), but at the moment it only has $29.9MM in assets. It is a bit over two years old, but it essentially attracted no assets at all until iShares cut the fee to 40 bp a year ago from 60 bp. It has still been a slow process, picking up one $3 MM creation unit every few months.

But I like the way the iShares international multi-factor funds are put together. I bought EMGF, ISCF's emerging markets sister fund with a free trade in my Lively-TD Ameritrade HSA a few months ago. EMGF, at 45 bp, has picked up a bit of steam, passed $100 MM, and is now at $117.5 MM. It's not particularly liquid, but it crossed my threshold for a buy-and-hold position in a tax-advantaged account.
I already own VINEX for international small cap. Question is whether VFSVX can be considered "small cap value" to VINEX's "small cap". The former does have lower PE and P/B ratios than VINEX but not sure if thats adequate to make it "value"

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Buttery Lobster wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:37 pm
I don't necessarily target a weighting closer to float-weighted, I just prefer the way WisdomTree caps any single country or sector to 25% of the fund to maintain a bit more diversification. Some of these fundamental funds can exceed 40% weighting in a single country or sector, which starts to look more like a bet on that country.
Gotcha. DFA also puts a cap on country weighting. At least their emerging markets value fund does; I'm not sure about their international SCV fund.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:22 pm

e_swami wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:48 pm
jhfenton wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:45 pm

I already own VINEX for international small cap. Question is whether VFSVX can be considered "small cap value" to VINEX's "small cap". The former does have lower PE and P/B ratios than VINEX but not sure if thats adequate to make it "value"
I don’t consider VSS to be ex-US small value. It is about as broad an international small cap fund as you could create. VINEX, on the other hand, has more of a growth tilt, especially with the newest sub-advisor.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 pm

e_swami wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:06 pm
I like Merriman's Ultimate-buy-and-hold approach. However, Vanguard does not seem to have any funds for the "International small cap value" asset class. Are there any alternatives that work, other than going to DFA?

At one time Paul himself suggested DLS, but rather he still does or not I don't know. Paul you on here?
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:29 pm

FNDC and the Powershares PDN (.50) are good options. Don't be unduly taken aback by them being "blend funds" as the RAFI methodology tends to grab a lot of deep value and cheap blend-growth. They're also the only good pair of solutions in taxable accounts.

DLS is great in tax-deferred accounts but not taxable. It historically tracks the DFA fund extremely well.

Segall Bryant and Hamill has a pretty interesting Quality/Value/Momentum Quant fund SBHSX, available at Ameritrade and Schwab commission free and load waived. The downside is an ER of 1.28% and a turnover rate of 90-100% for about 400 holdings.

If you're willing to take the risks of stock-picking (fundamental analysis) in an area that's extremely limited in funds, there's a Microcap Value Global fund called Metis Global Micro Cap Value Fund Class I. It's got a steep ER of 1.7, but there's no question that the stocks its harvesting are truly, truly microcap companies, rather than the midcaps that dominated most international small cap funds. It's got an average market cap of 0.26 Billion which is 1/10 that of FNDC/PDN. It's about 20/33/47 US/Japan/Global ex-US and Japan (with fair slugs of EM micros). Even though it's stock picking, there's no question it's on the extreme value side. It has about 300 companies and a 77% turnover rate.

From Morningstar for the A shares:

Code: Select all

Data Stock  Portfolio Benchmark Category Avg

Code: Select all

Price/Prosp. Earnings	9.39	17.93	19.34
Price/Book* 		0.83	1.93	2.35
Price/Sales* 		0.49	1.23	1.46
Price/Cash Flow*	3.58	7.62	9.15
Dividend Yield %*	2.70	2.08	1.80
Long-Term Earnings   	14.31	12.79	11.35
Historical Earnings %	-12.13	-21.48	9.20
Sales Growth %		-6.03	-34.41	1.31
Cash-Flow Growth %	-14.91	-0.81	-2.67
Book-Value Growth %	-9.70	-27.31	6.13

wander

Post by wander » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:31 pm

DDLS
DIM
DLS
PDN
IDHQ

vesalius

Post by vesalius » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:16 pm

fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:34 pm

I spent some time looking at all the NTF mutual funds at Fidelity since I have access to a brokerage link that is mutual fund only. There really aren't that many funds in the international small/mid value category. A lot of them have a pretty mild value tilt so I would not consider them (It seems pointless to pay a large fee to add a very slight tilt). With a significant enough tilt I might consider them. In addition to high fees, A general problem with all these funds is they are pretty concentrated (none have more than 100 stocks). Also some have so few assets they could easily be closed.

Probably the best one I found was

Pear Tree Polaris Foreign Value Small Cap Fund ER 1.45 (924.5 M in assets) This one has a pretty solid tilt 50/50 small/mid

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/ ... ture=en-US

Others
AllianzGI NFJ International Small-Cap Value Fund ER 1.3 (4.2 M in assets) milt tilt ~60/40 mid/small

Heartland International Value Fund (HINVX) ER 1.25. (30 M assets) This fund is very tilted but has done pretty terribly. My understandings is bad results are more persistent than good ones.

http://beta.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/HINVX/quote.html

Intrepid International Investor (ICMIX) ER 1.4 (~30 M assets) This one is super tilted and super small but all its holdings are in 21! stocks.

whyme

Post by whyme » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 am

Paul Merriman has a list of what he considers "Best-in-Class" ETFs. https://paulmerriman.com/best-in-class- ... ortfolios/

He suggests Wisdomtree (DLS) for the Int'l Small Cap Value, and SPDR® S&P Emerging Markets Small Cap (EWX), to cover another of his favored asset classes that Vanguard doesn't offer.

privatefarmer

Post by privatefarmer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:45 am

FPL capital management will sell DFA access for about $1k-$1500, depending on how many accounts you need opened, as a one-time fee. DISVX is a great international SCV fund and DEMSX is an EM SCV fund. Combine that with DFSVX and you're set. I use just DFSVX for domestic and DEMSX for international as they have lower correlation. DISVX is kind of a hybrid between DFSVX and DEMSX so I don't bother using it.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:47 am

Note: SFILX is the mutual fund version of FNDC. FNDC will be more tax efficient as SFILX will issue yearly capital gains

Looking at the funds mentioned so far, I see no reason to switch from FNDC for me.

Feb 2008 - Dec 2017 CAGR (life of SFILX)
VINEX 13.78% <--Vanguard International Explorer Inv
SFILX 13.49% <--Schwab Fdmtl Intl Sm Co Idx
DLS 13.39% <--WisdomTree International SmallCp Div ETF
PDN 13.04% <--PowerShares FTSE RAFI DvMkt exUS S/M ETF
DISVX 13.01% <--DFA International Small Cap Value I
DIM 10.63% <--WisdomTree International MidCap Div ETF
IDHQ 10.60% <--PowerShares S&P Intl Dev Quality ETF

Jun 2008 - Dec 2017 (life of QUSOX)
QUSOX 7.94% <--Pear Tree Polaris Fgn Val Sm Cap Ord
SFILX 6.93%

Nov 2010 - Dec 2017 (life of HINVX)

SFILX 8.59%
HINVX 2.93% <--Heartland International Value

Jan 2015 - Dec 2017 (life of ICMIX)

SFILX 13.96%
ICMIX 6.65% <--Intrepid International Investor

Jun 2015 - Dec 2017 (life of ISCF)
SFILX 18.67%
ISCF 16.79% <--iShares Edge MSCI Mltfct Intl SmCp ETF

May 2009 - Dec 2017 (life of VFSVX)
SFILX 9.79%
VFSVX 7.74% <--Vanguard FTSE All-Wld ex-US SmCp Idx Inv

Jul 2014 - Dec 2017 (life of SBHSX)
SFILX 13.96%
SBHSX 13.01% <--Segall Bryant&Hamill Intl Sm Cp A

May 2016 - Dec 2017 (life of DDLS)

SFILX 29.08%
DDLS 26.90% <--WisdomTree Dyn Ccy Hdgd Intl SmCp Eq ETF

Jul 2012 - Dec 2017 (life of AJVAX)
SFILX 12.03%
AJVAX 9.45% <--AllianzGI NFJ Intl Small-Cap Value A

[date per portfoliovisualizer]
Last edited by in_reality on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:10 am

rustymutt wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 pm
e_swami wrote:

At one time Paul himself suggested DLS, but rather he still does or not I don't know. Paul you on here?
His "Best-In-Class ETFs" list, updated November 2017, lists DLS (WisdomTree Intl. SmallCap Div Fd.) for International Small Cap Value: https://paulmerriman.com/best-in-class- ... portfolio/

Edit: Just now noticed "whyme" beat me to it :oops: Anyway, I hold DLS and like it quite a bit.

fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:40 am

I accidentally posted the I class ticker for that peartree polaris fund. The ticker for the investor shares class is QUSOX (comes with 2500 min and 1.45 ER). I think I would consider this fund for the for a fee closer 1% (I don't have a place to buy the wisdom tree fund or any of the other passive options) but I am thinking 1.45 is starting to get too high for the benefit access to the asset class would provide.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 am

Longtermgrowth wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:10 am
rustymutt wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 pm
e_swami wrote:

His "Best-In-Class ETFs" list, updated November 2017, lists DLS (WisdomTree Intl. SmallCap Div Fd.) for International Small Cap Value: https://paulmerriman.com/best-in-class- ... portfolio/

Edit: Just now noticed "whyme" beat me to it :oops: Anyway, I hold DLS and like it quite a bit.
It's been a good part of an overall great portfolio for me.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

e_swami

Post by e_swami » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Theoretical wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:29 pm
FNDC and the Powershares PDN (.50) are good options. Don't be unduly taken aback by them being "blend funds" as the RAFI methodology tends to grab a lot of deep value and cheap blend-growth. They're also the only good pair of solutions in taxable accounts.

DLS is great in tax-deferred accounts but not taxable. It historically tracks the DFA fund extremely well.
Hi Theoretical, can u explain why FNDC is good for taxable accounts while DLS is not? Does it pay less by way of dividends for some reason? Or is there some other reason?

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:20 pm

e_swami wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 pm
Theoretical wrote:

Hi Theoretical, can u explain why FNDC is good for taxable accounts while DLS is not? Does it pay less by way of dividends for some reason? Or is there some other reason?
Sure, the dividend focus plays part of the difference, but the big reason is that WisdomTree does not appear to use the tax efficiency techniques Vanguard and Blackrock are Grand Masters at and that Schwab's pretty good at doing. If you look at the tax efficiency for the "Dividend" funds, they're basically no better than active mutual funds.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 am

Theoretical wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:20 pm
e_swami wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:37 pm
Theoretical wrote:

Sure, the dividend focus plays part of the difference, but the big reason is that WisdomTree does not appear to use the tax efficiency techniques Vanguard and Blackrock are Grand Masters at and that Schwab's pretty good at doing. If you look at the tax efficiency for the "Dividend" funds, they're basically no better than active mutual funds.
I do have to say that DLS had a hair below 89% Qualified Dividend Income in 2016, with a Foreign Tax Credit higher than the same amount invested in Vanguard Total International Stock Index. Between the QDI and FTC, it really didn't look too terrible to me in taxable. I'm looking forward to the 2017 numbers which should be available soon. If WisdomTree follows the trend of Vanguard, QDI will be lower.
Now I also have some DGS (WisdomTree Emerging Markets SmallCap Dividend Fund) in taxable for Emerging Markets Small Value, and that fund had a hair below 40% QDI in 2016, but a large FTC. I hope that triceratop includes DLS and DGS in the upcoming 2017 relative tax efficiency calculations...

1nv35t

Post by 1nv35t » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:13 am

As a UK investor I track the UK's FT250 (midcap) index as a proxy for "SCV" and for data since 1986 the two have compared in risk/reward when rebased into either currency. Market cap sizes tend to compare to SCV (UK midcaps are comparable in size to US small caps). The UK doesn't impose any dividend withholding taxes however I'm not aware of any States side ETF for access. There are individual stocks listed in London that are Investment Trusts i.e. businesses whose business is purely financials (owning stocks) and some of those benchmark the FT250 index, however they can have large fees (north of 1% incorporated into that).

Rebased into US$ and FT250 (red) versus SCV (blue) ...

had a big kicker in the mid 1980's (FX benefit for US investors from holding GBP) that drove them apart. Since then (discount that) and subsequently the two have tracked each other reasonably closely.

For tax efficiency reasons I prefer to allocate half to a 2x FT250 (boost etp (Wisdom Tree) 2MCL) and half to bonds, rebalanced yearly as my FT250 exposure as that is a total return swap (pays no dividends) and has a 0.6% ER (so 50% loading = 0.3% effective cost to track the FT250).

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:17 pm

I have access to DFA funds in my company's 401(k) at Schwab with no advisor. There is a $15 fee per trade, but no load or other sales charge or 12b-1 fees. Interestingly, I also have an IRA at Schwab, but I am unable to invest in DFA funds in the IRA.

I use and like both DFEVX and DISVX, but fasten your seat belt and prepare for the roller coaster ride.

Ralph

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Not exactly what you are looking for, but you may want to check out Hartford Funds Multifactor Global Small Cap ETF (ROGS). https://www.hartfordfunds.com/etfs/rogs.html. It is US/Intl/EM small caps with a 50% value, 30% momentum, 20% quality tilt for 0.56% ER. I wish someone offered a simple ACWI small-cap value ETF - I would buy it!