Dave Ramsey's Millionaire Study

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
DanMahowny

Re: Dave Ramsey's Millionaire Study

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Not sure what's the value of obtaining my IP address.

It doesn't provide an exact location (street address), or phone number, or name, or email.

At least I think that's correct. Or perhaps I'm stupid- that's what my teenage kids tell me.

Please enlighten me. Thanks.
Funding secured

Agggm

Post by Agggm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm

LateStarter1975 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 pm
Dave Ramsey says he is conducting the largest millionaire study in the country (he wants to get about 10,000 respondents) and intends to publish the results in the next few weeks or months. I wish I could participate, but I'm still not close to the 2 comma club. Here's my other wish: That a lot of Boglehead millionaires will participate and indicate that majority of their investments are in Index funds and that they don't use a financial adviser. Maybe that will influence Dave on his condescending thoughts about Index funds......I can only hope!
Dave is obnoxious and his math is flawed.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Edit for: not worth the bother.
Last edited by GCD on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

drew1976

Post by drew1976 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 pm

This study sounds as scientific as his analysis on investment returns. I cringe every time I hear him say "12% average annual returns".

I still listen to the show though - hanging out with FIRE/boglehead types only can give you an inferiority complex and Dave's callers help me realize what the real normal out there is..

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:51 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm
Not sure what's the value of obtaining my IP address.

It doesn't provide an exact location (street address), or phone number, or name, or email.

At least I think that's correct. Or perhaps I'm stupid- that's what my teenage kids tell me.

Please enlighten me. Thanks.
My recollection is a little fuzzy, but I've been on a few forums where people are running some kind of script in their sig line. It says, basically; "Hey XYZ, you are posting from ABC. Scary isn't it?" And XYZ really was my real name and ABC was my real street address. As in exact first and last name and exact house address. So apparently there is that capability. I assume what everyone saw was tailored to them and the code ran for everyone based on where they were logged in from. Don't ask me how it works. I have no clue.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:09 pm

LateStarter1975 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 pm
Dave Ramsey says he is conducting the largest millionaire study in the country (he wants to get about 10,000 respondents) and intends to publish the results in the next few weeks or months. I wish I could participate, but I'm still not close to the 2 comma club. Here's my other wish: That a lot of Boglehead millionaires will participate and indicate that majority of their investments are in Index funds and that they don't use a financial adviser. Maybe that will influence Dave on his condescending thoughts about Index funds......I can only hope!
In another 2 weeks ish... I'll meet the qualification to be able to participate in this study!!! WOOT!!

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 pm

As expected, the thread turned into a DR bashathon. I guess the more popular he becomes the more threads like this will continue. That's what happens when you are the most popular and widely successful personal finance celebrity.

Oversoul

Post by Oversoul » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 pm
As expected, the thread turned into a DR bashathon. I guess the more popular he becomes the more threads like this will continue. That's what happens when you are the most popular and widely successful personal finance celebrity.
The bashing simply speaks to the quality of the posters. Take note.
May you live as long as you want....and never want, as long as you live.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Does DR say how he vets the respondents? As in confirming they are actually millionaires? If the survey is anonymous I wonder if a chunk of the respondents might not even qualify. If you want to call this bashing then so be it, but his methodology seems questionable.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 am
. (My late mom, decades ago, once wrote to the President in opposition to something the President was doing; got a lovely personal letter on White House letter head with genuine autopen signature thanking her for her support; and shortly afterwards the President gave a speech saying that his letters were running 90% in support of his program).
Yes we hear what we want to.

I think the Boggle message is too simple; most people appreciate some drama and financial theater. Dave is one of several media personalities that provides what some folks want :sharebeer
No Where for Very Long...