No more TDA Apex?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ICF

No more TDA Apex?

Post by ICF » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:53 pm

I was comparing brokerage fees on TDA's website and didn't see Apex listed even after logging in. It appears they quietly dropped it, perhaps in November given the date of their latest fee disclosure sheet. If so, yet another reason after the no commission ETF changes to move on.

jhfenton

Re: No more TDA Apex?

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm

All reference to Apex appears to have been scrubbed from their website. I can't find anything logged in or logged out.

We had accounts there for nearly 20 years, but I only have my HSA there now (through Lively).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 pm

If everybody got "promoted" to Apex, then it would not be a reason to move on. :)

I wish Vanguard would save some money and drop the Investor share class and just have Admiral for everybody, but without the higher initial minimums.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 pm
If everybody got "promoted" to Apex, then it would not be a reason to move on. :)

I wish Vanguard would save some money and drop the Investor share class and just have Admiral for everybody, but without the higher initial minimums.
Apex clients used to have free full outgoing ACAT. Now, the full outgoing ACAT is listed as $75, the previous non-Apex rate. So it looks like a downgrade, as far as the ACAT fees are concerned.
My signature has been deleted.

Alskar

Post by Alskar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 pm

indexfundfan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 pm
Apex clients used to have free full outgoing ACAT. Now, the full outgoing ACAT is listed as $75, the previous non-Apex rate. So it looks like a downgrade, as far as the ACAT fees are concerned.
Thanks for sharing this! I closed my TD Ameritrade accounts a few days after TD "enhanced" their commission-free ETF offerings. I was charged $75 to close one of my three accounts at TD because that account wasn't properly coded as Apex-eligible. They refunded my $75 but now I'm really glad I didn't wait to close my accounts. Saved myself $225 by closing them before they dropped Apex. Nice!
Lagom är bäst

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Alskar wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 pm
indexfundfan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 pm
Thanks for sharing this! I closed my TD Ameritrade accounts a few days after TD "enhanced" their commission-free ETF offerings. I was charged $75 to close one of my three accounts at TD because that account wasn't properly coded as Apex-eligible. They refunded my $75 but now I'm really glad I didn't wait to close my accounts. Saved myself $225 by closing them before they dropped Apex. Nice!
Looks like you just made it through the exit door!

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm

I just spoke to TDA and Apex is NOT discontinued.

I think it's just they redesigned their website and it no longer shows the little word "Apex" wherever it used to. I had Apex status and called to confirm and they said I still have it, which agrees with the lack of fees I've been charged for various recent services I've used in Dec and Jan.

So it's still there and if you had it before, you very likely still have it. For new accounts, they said you'd have to be reviewed to be granted it, but starting with around $25k you could be considered. I think when I joined it was $50k, but it may be lower now. It doesn't sound like this is any different than it was before in terms of the process.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 am

Tanelorn wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm

I think it's just they redesigned their website and it no longer shows the little word "Apex" wherever it used to. I had Apex status and called to confirm and they said I still have it, which agrees with the lack of fees I've been charged for various recent services I've used in Dec and Jan.

So it's still there and if you had it before, you very likely still have it. For new accounts, they said you'd have to be reviewed to be granted it, but starting with around $25k you could be considered. I think when I joined it was $50k, but it may be lower now. It doesn't sound like this is any different than it was before in terms of the process.
That's interesting. Maybe TDA is still keeping Apex but according to their webpage, there is no longer any free full outgoing ACAT, Apex or not:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/pricing/br ... -fees.page

overthought

Post by overthought » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 am

indexfundfan wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 am
Tanelorn wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm

That's interesting. Maybe TDA is still keeping Apex but according to their webpage, there is no longer any free full outgoing ACAT, Apex or not:

Cynical me: Once Apex is no longer publicly documented they can change/eliminate it without very many customers noticing, and most of those who do notice will be too lazy to jump through the hoops to make a stink.

Meanwhile, a targeted google search turns up this fee schedule, dated 9/17, which still waives the ACAT fee for Apex customers. Maybe that could be useful to somebody until it, too, disappears.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:57 am

indexfundfan wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 am

That page of fees is not applied to all (Apex?) accounts. I've done several things on that page and not been charged, even in the past week. Not an outgoing ACAT, but wires and other things that appear to have a fee but were waived for Apex customers. They are still being waived for me.

Looks like poor commmunication more than anything, rather than a stealth fee increase. If you have concerns, I invite you to call customer service, ask your questions, and report back.