How to see YTD% at Vanguard

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
GridironGems

How to see YTD% at Vanguard

Post by GridironGems » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 pm

I see people post how much they are up, but I do not see that on the Vanguard website. I am fairly new to this, so maybe I'm just not looking at the correct spot. Obviously, i could do the math on it, but figure there has to be a simpler way. Thanks!

BlackHat

Re: How to see YTD% at Vanguard

Post by BlackHat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm

If you go the My Account drop down menu, there will be a personal performance option there.
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” -- Confucius

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 pm

I keep my financial account balances in an Excel spreadsheet, so it only needs to be set up, then it does the arithmetic for me. I have since beginning, ytd, and this month.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Just try not to check it 10 times a day.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

GridironGems

Post by GridironGems » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 pm

BlackHat wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm
If you go the My Account drop down menu, there will be a personal performance option there.
I see the dollar sign numbers, but not the % on that page

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 pm
BlackHat wrote:
For whatever reason the % of the YTD is not there in Vanguard..
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

IlikeJackB

Post by IlikeJackB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 pm

When on the Vanguard site under the Investing banner click on Vanguard Mutual Funds; then Browse Vanguard funds by asset class. You will end up here: https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... nd-returns
"Do what you will, the capital is at hazard." Justice Samuel Putnam, Harvard College vs Amory, 1830. The "Prudent Man Rule."

a__

Post by a__ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:34 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm
GridironGems wrote:
BlackHat wrote:
Do you see other returns, like 1 year, or since inception?

I think YTD is impossible so early in 2018...in the disclosures, I think Vanguard says that return rates are updated at the end of each month, and usually visible following the first business day of the next month. Also, no return is calculated for "new investors," which means you need to have one complete year (and then have that month close) before you'll see any returns calculated.

samtex

Post by samtex » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 am

a__ wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:34 am
BogleMelon wrote:
GridironGems wrote:
BlackHat wrote:

I think YTD is impossible so early in 2018...in the disclosures, I think Vanguard says that return rates are updated at the end of each month, and usually visible following the first business day of the next month. Also, no return is calculated for "new investors," which means you need to have one complete year (and then have that month close) before you'll see any returns calculated.
I believe that is wrong. I have noticed that there is no percentage given YTD, only after a full year. I have wondered why also. But even up to the end of December, there was no YTD percentage given.

Samtex

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 am

a__ wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
GridironGems wrote:
BlackHat wrote:

Yes, no problem with 1 year or since inception percentage
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 am

a__ wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
GridironGems wrote:
BlackHat wrote:

If you go to the link above (posted by ILikeJackB), you can see YTD returns as of today (as if you owned the fund on 1/1) both for funds and for ETFs. Of course, it won't be your personal return if you added or removed finds since 1/1

outbackcountry

Post by outbackcountry » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 am

Vanguard does not display the YTD/custom range returns in %; its always in $;

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 pm

You have to do your own calculation. Vanguard provides the money made YTD. There is no easy way out.

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 pm

outbackcountry wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 am
Yes and this is very frustrating. Quite Bush League of them.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

ThePrince wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 pm
outbackcountry wrote:
It is very easy to put your portfolio in Morningstar and you get a YTD computation for your portfolio.

I don't think it that big of a deal that Vanguard does not do this, but then I am not a proponent of complaining when I could just switch to a company that satisfies me.

Best wishes,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:08 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm
ThePrince wrote:
outbackcountry wrote:
It is very easy to put your portfolio in Morningstar and you get a YTD computation for your portfolio.

I don't think it that big of a deal that Vanguard does not do this, but then I am not a proponent of complaining when I could just switch to a company that satisfies me.

Best wishes,

Dan
Many of Vanguard’s competitors offer YTD stats. Why doesn’t a company like Vanguard do so?

Thanks for the Morningstar suggestion. However, why should I have to go through the hassle when I don’t have to with Vanguard’s competitors? We’re not asking for a lot here.

bhluckyusaguy

Post by bhluckyusaguy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 am

Vanguard does allow someone to see the YTD performance for each account they have.

Go to "Balances and Holdings". Directly underneath the heading, click on "Balances Compared to Year-End". I can see the dollar and percent difference from 12/31/2017 and Friday's closing for each of my accounts.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:52 am

bhluckyusaguy wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:29 am
Vanguard does allow someone to see the YTD performance for each account they have.

Go to "Balances and Holdings". Directly underneath the heading, click on "Balances Compared to Year-End". I can see the dollar and percent difference from 12/31/2017 and Friday's closing for each of my accounts.
Thanks bh, I forgot about that screen and actually used it before!!
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 am

ThePrince wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:08 pm
dwickenh wrote:
ThePrince wrote:
outbackcountry wrote:

Best wishes,

Dan
Many of Vanguard’s competitors offer YTD stats. Why doesn’t a company like Vanguard do so?

Thanks for the Morningstar suggestion. However, why should I have to go through the hassle when I don’t have to with Vanguard’s competitors? We’re not asking for a lot here.
There is a way to do it, thanks to bhluckyusaguy for the information on how to access it.

Best to you,

Dan

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:22 am

dwickenh wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 am
ThePrince wrote:
dwickenh wrote:
ThePrince wrote:
outbackcountry wrote:

Best wishes,

Dan

There is a way to do it, thanks to bhluckyusaguy for the information on how to access it.

Best to you,

Dan
Does this work through Vanguard’s iOS apps. Just tried through the iPad app and I continue to struggle finding YTD %.

bhluckyusaguy

Post by bhluckyusaguy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:43 am

Prince, you should be able access the YTD info using the Vanguard iOS app. I just tried it on my iPad.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:01 am

YTD information is on the watchlist,
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/tools/watchlist

Name Symbol Price as of 01/12/2018 YTD Returns
as of
01/12/2018
Price Change SEC Yield
500 Index Fund Adm VFIAX $257.38 $1.72 0.67% 1.86% B 4.28% Buy

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:37 pm

ThePrince wrote:
dwickenh wrote:
ThePrince wrote:
outbackcountry wrote:

Best wishes,

Dan

I don't believe that year to date (YTD) percentage is a big deal. It's an interesting number to know, and I do calculate it from time to time. But YTD percentage is not actionable information, in the sense that I would not even consider changing my investments based on that number or any other short-term metric.

If you are making contributions or withdrawals of a standard amount on a regular schedule, then on "personal performance" click "YTD" and then simply divide "investment returns" by "beginning balance" to get your percentage year to date almost exactly.

This works for use because we take our Required Minimum Distributions monthly, and no other withdrawals. It would work for the many people making contributions of a standard dollar amount every pay period.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started