Kodakcoin

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
adamthesmythe

Kodakcoin

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 am

Maybe more evidence for the cryptocurrency bubble

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16869 ... tock-price

The interesting things for me are (1) Kodak was once a very real company and (2) there seems to be a realworld application onto which blockchain has been spliced, perhaps unnecessarily.

Valuethinker

Re: Kodakcoin

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am

The craziness is not abating.

Kodak was a victim of the digital age. Haven't looked at what this b/c application is.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am

Yes, and I keep thinking "they couldn't even give it a good name." KodakCoin is virtually unpronounceable. Given the heritage of Kodacolor and Kodachrome (it has even gotten its name on the landscape, Kodachrome Basin in Utah), they obviously should have called it "Kodacoin." Idiots.

Some other bits of... weirdness.

New 'insane' ETF proposal for bitcoin generates worry on Wall Street
Direxion wants to introduce 2X leveraged and inverse Bitcoin ETFs. I am... speechless.

Bitcoin, Ripple and Litecoin prices plummet as cryptocurrency market crashes by £120BILLION instantly after website ditches South Korean exchange data
CoinMarketCap's decision to exclude average-price data from Bithumb, Coinone and Korbit resulted in a sudden drop in displayed prices
Got that? These things, that are called "exchanges," within things, that are called a "market," have things, called "market prices" that differ so much from each other that excluding some exchanges from the index made the index drop dramatically. I don't know which is worse, the fact that it happened, or the fact that it not unusual to see wide divergence, I mean wide divergence, of the same thing at the same instant in the same market. For example, 9 a.m. December 30th, as close to the same instant as I could get them:

Finally: our local public library in a town of 30,000 is presenting--the library itself, not a citizen's group--a Lunch & Learn workshop with their Technology Librarian on "Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency."

Yes, there's a mania. Maybe this one will be different from all the others, maybe this time someone has actually discovered the secret of work without wealth that will make everyone who participates effortlessly rich. Maybe we all can actually get rich, this time.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 am

nisiprius wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am
Yes, and I keep thinking "they couldn't even give it a good name." KodakCoin is virtually unpronounceable. Given the heritage of Kodacolor and Kodachrome (it has even gotten its name on the landscape, Kodachrome Basin in Utah), they obviously should have called it "Kodacoin." Idiots.

Some other bits of... weirdness.

Finally: our local public library in a town of 30,000 is presenting--the library itself, not a citizen's group--a Lunch & Learn workshop with their Technology Librarian on "Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency."

Yes, there's a mania. Maybe this one will be different from all the others, maybe this time someone has actually discovered the secret of work without wealth that will make everyone who participates effortlessly rich. Maybe we all can actually get rich, this time.
If your public library can educate people in a way that prevents them from getting sucked into a mania, that could actually be very valuable.

OkieIndexer

Post by OkieIndexer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:54 pm

nisiprius wrote:
New 'insane' ETF proposal for bitcoin generates worry on Wall Street
Direxion wants to introduce 2X leveraged and inverse Bitcoin ETFs. I am... speechless.
When 10% moves in 5 seconds just aren't enough action for you! :shock:
"In bull markets, people say 'The more risk I take, the greater my return.' But when people aren't afraid of risk, they'll accept risk without being compensated." -Howard Marks, Oaktree Capital

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:01 pm

nisiprius wrote:

This perfectly describes what is going on.

The misapprehension that there is wealth that can come, for the masses, simply from speculation and not hard work.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm

"I've gots to get me some Kodakcoin" said no one, ever.

OkieIndexer

Post by OkieIndexer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Maybe we all can actually get rich, this time.
Yes, somehow we can all get rich this time, and there won't be any inflation to completely offset it. Hmm...doesn't compute.
"In bull markets, people say 'The more risk I take, the greater my return.' But when people aren't afraid of risk, they'll accept risk without being compensated." -Howard Marks, Oaktree Capital

PVW

Post by PVW » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 am
Maybe more evidence for the cryptocurrency bubble

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16869 ... tock-price

The interesting things for me are (1) Kodak was once a very real company and (2) there seems to be a realworld application onto which blockchain has been spliced, perhaps unnecessarily.
Apparently, this is a legitimate effort. Even if they are taking advantage of the mania.

The real evidence that this crypo stuff is a joke is that a literal joke has gotten caught up in the mania.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... s-weekend/
Last edited by PVW on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 pm

When I first saw the thread title I thought it was a joke. Things are really ridiculous in the cryptocurrency domain. I just saw that there's a "Veritaseum" currency (any Harry Potter fans here?), Venezuela's Petro (coin), now this KodakCoin. We only need Warren Buffet issuing utterly unpronounceable BerkCshoins.
OkieIndexer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 pm
nisiprius wrote:
Yes, somehow we can all get rich this time, and there won't be any inflation to completely offset it. Hmm...doesn't compute.

If the cryptobubble inflates to a much larger size, this could spur real inflation, because it might add to the perceived monetary supply (many people who own cryptocurrency would think they own "money"). Let's say the global money supply is $50 trillion, and the total valuation of cryptocurrencies went to $5 trillion (all perceived as money-equivalents) - then the global money supply would have increased by 10%. Even it's a far-off one, one more reason to own a helping of stocks
:sharebeer

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 pm

I am glad I am not the only one baffled at the name. I was thinking Kodakoin, but Kodacoin does fit better with tradition.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Is this an actual cryptocurrency or just using blockchain technology to protect digital photo rights? The latter sounds like it could actually be useful but isn't something that is traded monetarily anymore than the rights to photos are bought and sold.

kosomoto

Post by kosomoto » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Overstock is creating their own coin as well and shares are up over 300%. They expect to make $200 million in free money from “printing” the coins in the ICO.

I am tempted to suggest my company create a coin for itself and get myself a hefty raise for raising millions of free cash.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Here's an interesting description of KodakCoin; I don't know if quartz.com is a reliable source. Kodak is trying to stay relevant with a cryptocurrency scheme run by paparazzi
The company paying Kodak to use its brand is a unit of WENN Media, a photo agency that specializes in paparazzi photos. Among WENN’s greatest hits is an infamous 2007 [image] of Britney Spears getting out of a car.... WENN... stands for World Entertainment News Network...

WENN proposes to launch KodakCoin as the native token of the KodakOne blockchain. What does KodakOne do? It trawls the web for unauthorized use of images that WENN holds the rights to. When the system finds a licensing violation, it will settle payments due to photographers using KodakCoin.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am
Kodak was a victim of the digital age. Haven't looked at what this b/c application is.
That's true, despite the fact they invented the first charge-coupled device for photography.
Wikipedia wrote: ...
Steven Sasson as an engineer at Eastman Kodak invented and built the first electronic camera using a charge-coupled device image sensor in 1975.[4] Earlier ones used a camera tube; later ones digitized the signal. Early uses were mainly military and scientific; followed by medical and news applications.
PJW

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Didn't Paul Simon do a song about this way back when?

Are there any schemes combining multi-level marketing and cryptocurrency yet? If not, that must be next.
Semper Augustus

OkieIndexer

Post by OkieIndexer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Teague wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Are there any schemes combining multi-level marketing and cryptocurrency yet? If not, that must be next.
Packaging timeshares and bitcoin derivatives into CDOs? Lots of opportunities for financial innovation here. :mrgreen:

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Don't worry. This time is different.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:53 pm

Teague wrote:

"Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day"

A beautiful lyric. Amusingly not played much in the UK, I was told, because of its explicit commercial implications.

This image is from FinTwit:

That is combined volume for two of the most actively traded ETFs. Incredible.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Teague wrote:

Bitconnect. It's advertised on YouTube a lot.

http://behindmlm.com/mlm-reviews/bitcon ... onzi-rois/

There are probably others.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:09 pm

acanthurus wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm
Teague wrote:

Oy.
Semper Augustus

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 pm

acanthurus wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm
Teague wrote:

Can I buy options on a mutual fund of cryptocurrency multilevel marketing companies?

Soaker

Post by Soaker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Closing prices of Eastman Kodak (KODK) stock:

Monday: $3.10
Yesterday: $6.80
Today: $10.70

Attention, Bogleheads! Many of us are in!! :moneybag :moneybag According to Morningstar, as of 11/30/2017, Vanguard Total Stock Market held 2.13% of the shares and Vanguard Small Cap Index held 0.98% of the shares. They were the 3rd and 5th largest shareholders, respectively.

riverguy

Post by riverguy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Think about this when people say the market is efficient...

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Actually, Nisi this one's got Kodakcoin beat:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 43261.html
Bitcoin latest: Cryptocurrency dogecoin that started as parody now valued at over $1bn

Dogecoin was created in 2013 and took its name from a meme based around pictures of dogs with garbled captions that relay the animal’s supposed internal monologue...

It began as a way to poke fun at the growing hype surrounding cryptocurrency. Now it seems it has been swept up in the latest round of that very same hype.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm

So what are the side effects when this crashes and burns?

During the housing bubble ten years ago, I thought that the crash wouldn't impact me too much since I hadn't overpaid for a house, I was not exactly correct there :oops: This is going to have some kind of unexpected downstream impact.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Time for SearsCoin. RadioShackoin. JCPennyCoin. KMartCoin. And various other HailMaryCoins.
Semper Augustus

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:52 pm

I am holding out for a Boglekoin.
Best Wishes, | Joe

kosomoto

Post by kosomoto » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:11 pm

riverguy wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Clearly we are not seeing how a licensing block chain agreement is worth hundreds of millions.

But seriously I own only value funds simply because I don’t want to own this junk on principle alone.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:18 pm

One fool's opinion in the Kodakcoin, and not a particularly favorable one.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/ ... kcoin.aspx

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 pm
Actually, Nisi this one's got Kodakcoin beat:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 43261.html
Bitcoin latest: Cryptocurrency dogecoin that started as parody now valued at over $1bn

Dogecoin was created in 2013 and took its name from a meme based around pictures of dogs with garbled captions that relay the animal’s supposed internal monologue...

It began as a way to poke fun at the growing hype surrounding cryptocurrency. Now it seems it has been swept up in the latest round of that very same hype.
Believe it or not, my son saw the release of Dogecoin on Reddit back in 2013 and mined 2.7 million Dogecoins with his gaming computer in the first few days.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:40 pm

riverguy wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Of course the Efficient Market Hypothesis does not claim prices are correct. It says nothing at all about that, which is good because perfect pricing does not, and cannot, exist. It also doesn't claim every investor will agree to transact at the most recent market price.

I wrote about it here.

PJW

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 pm

FT editor Izabella Kaminska:
'Bitcoin conference stops accepting bitcoin for tickets because turns out bitcoin is a rubbish payment system.'
https://twitter.com/izakaminska/status/ ... 5341245448
https://news.bitcoin.com/miami-bitcoin- ... ongestion/

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 am

OkieIndexer wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 pm
nisiprius wrote:
It'll be different this time!

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 am

Teague wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:51 pm
Time for SearsCoin. RadioShackoin. JCPennyCoin. KMartCoin. And various other HailMaryCoins.
Why stop there? We need crypto currency as unique as we are individuals. I propose a DIY kit for anyone to have their own crypto that's as easy as 123. Pick a name for the currency, and $9.99 later a startup will custom craft anyone who wants their own crypto an electronic currency. The total democratization of currency will be upon us.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 am

Mama don't take my Kodacoin away.

patrick

Post by patrick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 am

Mingus wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 am
Teague wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:51 pm
Why stop there? We need crypto currency as unique as we are individuals. I propose a DIY kit for anyone to have their own crypto that's as easy as 123. Pick a name for the currency, and $9.99 later a startup will custom craft anyone who wants their own crypto an electronic currency. The total democratization of currency will be upon us.
Already been done: https://forkgen.tech/

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 am

I work in the corporate strategy team for a Fortune 500 company, and there have been serious discussions at the C-level about launching our own crypto coin.

ICOs are becoming a legitimate alternative to equity and debt financing. Think about it from the CFO's perspective, if you have institutional investors lining up to give you money with no obligation to repay them in any way, isn't it your fiduciary obligation to shareholders to consider it? Especially if you think it can solve some real business problems along the way (e.g. chain-of-custody, trust) that could give you a leg up on your competitors.

HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 am

Trying to understand why the Boglehead community is against cryptos. There is no doubt there are coins that have no value/benefit, but there are plenty of coins which have a purpose and are in use by top companies and institutions.

As much as we like to think this is a bubble, people are making tons of money with little investment needed. There are traders who don't care about the company/technology and are taking the gains day trading and then there are those actually investing in the success of the technology.

Regardless of your views, I'm taking advantage of the trading and making easy money. Profit over $20K in 3 days on a $5K investment. There are large players in this market investing hundreds of thousands and millions only to sell it a few hours later for 200-500% returns.

david1082b

Post by david1082b » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:42 am

HardHitter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 am
Trying to understand why the Boglehead community is against cryptos. There is no doubt there are coins that have no value/benefit, but there are plenty of coins which have a purpose and are in use by top companies and institutions.

As much as we like to think this is a bubble, people are making tons of money with little investment needed. There are traders who don't care about the company/technology and are taking the gains day trading and then there are those actually investing in the success of the technology.

Regardless of your views, I'm taking advantage of the trading and making easy money. Profit over $20K in 3 days on a $5K investment. There are large players in this market investing hundreds of thousands and millions only to sell it a few hours later for 200-500% returns.
"Easy money"? There are dozens of coins that are down over 30% in the last week. 12 are down more than 60%:
https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

This is not easy money. If it was easy money you could pick any random coin and be guaranteed to make money. If it was easy money, around one third of coins wouldn't be down over the last 24 hours.

mws13

Post by mws13 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:08 am

HardHitter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 am

If you look at my post, I am a strong Advocate for "Crypto Assets" and their potential to:
  • Bank the un-bankable world
  • Disrupt legacy asset transfer system such as Real Estate, which has ridiculous inefficiencies in Title Insurance, and others
  • Hedge/Check/Alternative on the Federal Reserve and other Central Banks
  • Many others to come
I have been in this Crypto Asset market for roughly five years, and there have been many along the way who flush out with statements of "I'm taking advantage of the trading and making easy money." Bogelheads is a skeptical community by nature. They don't trust traditional Wall Street, so why would they trust Crypto Assets?

My suggestion is, If you have profited, take money off the table and use "House Money". And talk to programmers, not traders. Everyone at Bogelheads is correct in that Crypto Assets are/will be worthless if no one uses them for dApps or asset transfer. The reality of the Crypto Asset market is that you are "The House", and that is a conversation for another day.
Last edited by mws13 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mws13

Post by mws13 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:19 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 am
I work in the corporate strategy team for a Fortune 500 company, and there have been serious discussions at the C-level about launching our own crypto coin.

ICOs are becoming a legitimate alternative to equity and debt financing. Think about it from the CFO's perspective, if you have institutional investors lining up to give you money with no obligation to repay them in any way, isn't it your fiduciary obligation to shareholders to consider it? Especially if you think it can solve some real business problems along the way (e.g. chain-of-custody, trust) that could give you a leg up on your competitors.
Actually this Bogelhead community could create a "Smart Contract Fund", and buy that ICO directly from your firm, thus eliminating the middleman - aka Wall Street. Now repeat that Smart Contract 499 times with corporate CFO's from the S&P 500 and you have our own Index Fund. There would be some mining and/or gas fees, but they would be much smaller, arguably.

There is a HUGE part of society (non-Bogelheads) who do not want to think about this stuff, so Wall Street will not go away. I personally do not want my Cardiac Surgeon to be worrying about Smart Contract Index Funds :D

Thanks for posting this, it is really good information for a small business guy that has no exposure to Fortune 500 executives.
Last edited by mws13 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 am

"Utilising blockchain technology, the KodakOne platform will create an encrypted, digital ledger of rights ownership for photographers to register both new and archive work that they can then license within the platform," Kodak explained.

I am amazed at how much mis-information there is in this thread. Kodak is not creating "digital currency". They are using block-chain technology as a way to register, track and control digital photo assets.

It is actually an interesting use of the technology, and seems an appropriate product/service for Kodak's brand.

It is not "coin" at all really.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:33 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 am
"Utilising blockchain technology, the KodakOne platform will create an encrypted, digital ledger of rights ownership for photographers to register both new and archive work that they can then license within the platform," Kodak explained.

I am amazed at how much mis-information there is in this thread. Kodak is not creating "digital currency". They are using block-chain technology as a way to register, track and control digital photo assets.

It is actually an interesting use of the technology, and seems an appropriate product/service for Kodak's brand.

you should let them know their press release is wrong!

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 006183/en/

"Today Kodak and WENN Digital, in a licensing partnership, announced the launch of the KODAKOne image rights management platform and KODAKCoin, a photo-centric cryptocurrency to empower photographers and agencies to take greater control in image rights management....The initial coin offering will open on January 31, 2018 and is open to accredited investors from the U.S., UK, Canada and other select countries. For more information visit www.kodakcoin.com. This initial Coin Offering is issued under SEC guidelines as a security token under Regulation 506 (c) as an exempt offering."

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 am

And you don't need blockchain technology to do any of that.

NYCwriter

Post by NYCwriter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 pm

IBM really needs to change its listing to International Blockchain Machine. It'll be like the 80s again! (sarcasm)

ThrustVectoring

Post by ThrustVectoring » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:57 pm

KODAKcoin has some serious problems. They went by-the-book, which means that it's a registered security that you can only sell to accredited investors. These sorts of investments you should never expect to be able to sell, ever - they're often held perpetually. And uhh, KODAKcoin doesn't pay any dividends or anything.

It's hard for me to tell why anyone would want to use this platform, given that they can't expect to ever get dollars for them.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Brilliant PR move by Kodak. Myself and millions of others just found out Kodak is still in business.

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:19 pm

Ars Technica reported that this is Kodak using its brand to promote a cryptocurrency aimed at paparazzi:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... odak-coin/

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Cryptocurrency is becoming the S&H Green Stamps for the new millennium. . . .