dividend date

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ketanco

dividend date

Post by ketanco » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:27 am

Is the dividend date when the company pays the dividend (send money to us)?
for example, for GE stock, it says ex dividend date september 15 2017 right? and when will they pay this dividend? or they paid already? and when is the next ex dividend date, or they will write it later?
in other words, will i get paid a dividend in 2018 from GE, even if i sold my GE stock now?

Thesaints

Re: dividend date

Post by Thesaints » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:37 am

The ex-div date is the date at which the stock begins to trade with the dividend subtracted. If you sell before after the ex-div date you get the dividend paid to you (it makes sense, doesn’t it ?).
Dividend is paid in the dividend payout date, which comes later. Usually by just a few days, but for instance QQQ pay dividends a month after the ex-div, except at Christmas.
Last edited by Thesaints on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

ketanco

Post by ketanco » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:45 am

will i get paid a dividend in 2018 from GE, even if i sold my GE stock now?

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:48 am

ketanco wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:45 am
will i get paid a dividend in 2018 from GE, even if i sold my GE stock now?
It is only the last owner of record before the ex-div who gets the bird.

Sorry, I just realized I wrote sell before the ex-div, I meant after.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 am

@ketanco, may I ask why should it matter if you get the dividend or not? If you have shares of GE and sell them on an ex-dividend date or after that ex-dividend date, then you will be the shareholder of record for that dividend and you will get paid the dividend. but the share price will drop by that dividend amount, too. That is, you will have no more money whether you sell the day before the ex-dividend date, the day of the ex-dividend date, or the day after the ex-dividend date.

With a stock like GE that has dropped quite a bit in value over the past year, the tax situation will be worse for the GE shareholder who gets the dividend in a taxable account. So even though when the shareholder sells their GE stock does not get them any more money, they can lose more to taxes by selling at a different time.

So what are the upcoming ex-dividend dates for GE in 2018? One can find them easily with a google search which I am not going to do.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ketanco

Post by ketanco » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 am

okay i see the mistake now. i was looking from yahoo finance and they wrote ex date as september but then i checked another website and they write as december. and then in my account i see that they paid one dividend in october to me. so i think yahoo didnt update their info then

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 am

What is the payable date for the December dividend?

And you see that the payable date for the September dividend is that date in October that you got paid it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ketanco

Post by ketanco » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:23 am

it says january. i see that now. i had not seen it on yahoo plus they showed an older ex date. yes after checking my account i saw that they paid me in october too. that is apparently for september. so i will get one payment in january then, even if i sell it now.

bberris

Post by bberris » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 am

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 am
@ketanco, may I ask why should it matter if you get the dividend or not? ...
I think it was over at Seeking Alpha some wag commented that getting a dividend was like moving bucks from one pocket to the other. No wealth is created, but DGI people think they are getting rich. He said that dividend investors who think this is a great thing believe in Magic Pants.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 pm

It stands to reason that today, when fractional shares can be sold at little or no cost, dividends are less than useless.
When I entrust company X’s management with my money, the last thing I want is for them to return some to me, when I have not requested them and in a taxable event.