2017 Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
triceratop

2017 Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns

Post by triceratop »

Here is the 2017 Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns. I found the link here by manipulating the link for the 2016 table. It worked, so here we are!

EM took off (another year at the top of the table) while Value lagged.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
cfs

Re: 2017 Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns

Post by cfs »

Thank you! I have downloaded a copy using your link. Good luck and thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
sambb

Post by sambb »

THANKS to the OP
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Emerging markets right on top.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Growth and EM did well in 2017... If I were a betting man, I would look at value and small/mid cap next year. :twisted: I'm not though... This chart just proves how important it is to own a well diversified portfolio.
Time is the ultimate currency.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:41 pm Emerging markets right on top.
Interesting.

EM tends to be at the very top, or at the very bottom.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 pm
Interesting.

RM
Or the middle...
MarginalCost

Post by MarginalCost »

PFInterest wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:07 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 pm
Interesting.

RM
Or the middle...
Emerging Markets has been on the top or bottom for 15 (75%) of the past 20 years, far more than you would expect by chance (20%).

The other persistent extreme is Barclays' Aggregate Bond Index. Top or bottom for 12 years (60%). 9 of those were the same years. Makes sense.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

I stare at it and stare at it, wishing I could figure out the pattern...you'd think some genius would come up with an algorithm. :greedy
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

montanagirl wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 pm I stare at it and stare at it, wishing I could figure out the pattern...
One useful pattern, in my view, is to align each year on the S&P 500 return (in olive below). At a glance, one can then tell when a slice-and-dice diversified portfolio is paying off (i.e., when most of the boxes are above the S&P 500, like 2001-2004) — and also when a plain old 2 or 3-fund portfolio is doing the best (i.e., when most of the boxes are below the S&P 500, like 2014-2015).
Not sure the folks at Callan would ever see the advantage of publishing their annual table in this form though. :wink:
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

Todd....Thank you very much for posting, don't know how you did it, very impressive

Actually makes me very happy to be a simple S&P 500 investor......Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
chickadee

Callan table, updated to include 2017

Post by chickadee »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Noticing that the wiki page that includes the Callan table of periodic returns ought to be updated to include 2017.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Callan_ ... nt_returns

https://www.callan.com/wp-content/uploa ... d_2018.pdf
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Callan table, updated to include 2017

Post by LadyGeek »

This post is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (wiki - a Bogleheads community effort). (This thread was in the Forum Administration forum. We'll answer questions anywhere.)

Thanks! Unfortunately, the 2017 table is not linked from Callan's website: Periodic Table of Investments - Callan. The page says "2017", but the PDF file is for 2016.

The 2018 file (2017 results) can be found via Google. In any case, the file is marked with a copyright notice. I have emailed Callan requesting permission to post the table, which is what I've done for the past several years. The permission has always been granted, so it's just a matter of waiting.

I have fixed the wiki links to Callan's periodic table website. See: Callan periodic table of investment returns
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
triceratop

Re: Callan table, updated to include 2017

Post by triceratop »

Duplicate: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=237091&p=3705123#p3705123

Was I not supposed to post a screen grab of the PDF?
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I have no idea. Your screenshot gives proper attribution, but I'm not a lawyer. To be on the safe side, I've been asking for (and receiving) permission for the wiki every year for the past several years.

===========
I merged chickadee's thread into here, which is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (theory).

===========
SimpleGift has an interesting concept which removes some of the randomness. Someone will spot a trend, though, which goes against the point of the table.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Triceratop:

Thank you for posting The Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns. In my opinion, the Callan Table offers the single best illustration of the importance of:

1. Diversification

2. Total market index funds.
Don't look for the needle. Buy the haystack. -- Jack Bogle
Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
dh

Post by dh »

montanagirl wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 pm I stare at it and stare at it, wishing I could figure out the pattern...you'd think some genius would come up with an algorithm. :greedy
... and then write a book, start a blog, maybe teach a class... :sharebeer

I agree with Taylor's post above! 100%.
Top99%

Post by Top99% »

Thanks triceratop and Todd! I will print both versions of the table and staple them to my forehead. To me this table is the most compelling piece of visual evidence I have seen for the value of diversification.
Adapt or perish
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

SimpleGift wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:34 pm
This is a very interesting presentation. Thank you for sharing.

I do wish the folks at Callan would also include REITs.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

montanagirl wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 pm I stare at it and stare at it, wishing I could figure out the pattern...you'd think some genius would come up with an algorithm. :greedy
You can figure out the pattern. It's random. And I don't mean that flippantly. I once did a little market timing study that included constructing from hindsight a perfect market timing portfolio for two assets and showed the timing sequence was random to a high degree of confidence. I suspect the rows of the Callen table will show the same thing.
Regards, | | Guy
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Well, not 100% random. EM are frequently at the top, or at the bottom, and rarely in between. It means they have been more volatile.
Also bonds are frequently at the extremes, but it would be wrong to conclude they are very volatile as well. For one, when they have been at the bottom, they have never yielded a negative result.
Overall, volatility does not depend on relative ranking amongst various investment sectors, but on the results dispersion of each investment sector, regardless of what all the others do.

Perhaps, this table is actually a dangerous tool, since it push people to ignore the actual return, written in small characters, and concentrate on relative performance, which is not that important.
MarginalCost

Post by MarginalCost »

Thesaints wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:35 pm Well, not 100% random. EM are frequently at the top, or at the bottom, and rarely in between. It means they have been more volatile.
Also bonds are frequently at the extremes, but it would be wrong to conclude they are very volatile as well. For one, when they have been at the bottom, they have never yielded a negative result.
The Barclays' Aggregate Bond Index was negative in 1999 and 2013
High Yield bonds were also negative in 2000, 2002, 2008, and 2015
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

I was referring to investment grade bonds, BABI therefore, and when they were negative they were not at the bottom of the rankings.

The periodic table, which incidentally looks like the periodic table as much as the January 2018 calendar does, is almost completely useless.
For investors it is not the relative ranking that counts, but the absolute performance.
On the other hand, a “periodic table of the NFL” would have some merit.
Last edited by Thesaints on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

triceratop wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 pm Image

Here is the 2017 Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns. I found the link here by manipulating the link for the 2016 table. It worked, so here we are!

Link no longer downloadable for saving as a PDF.
Do you have another link when you have time.

Mahalo,
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Callan has updated their website. See: Periodic Table of Investments - Callan

Perhaps they got my email...
Topic Author
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm
triceratop wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 pm <snip>

Mahalo,
Still works for me.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

triceratop wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm
triceratop wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 pm <snip>

Mahalo,
Still works for me.
Got it!
Mahalo,
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
zonto

Post by zonto »

While waiting for the Callan table to be updated this past week, I stumbled across something similar from Novel Investor: https://novelinvestor.com/asset-class-returns/. It includes REITs and a diversified portfolio. It is also interactive (at the link above, click on a square to play around).

Image:
"For real-world portfolios, the main impact of diversification is to narrow the dispersion of outcomes. [T]he most important impact is to make the worst outcomes less bad." (Vineviz)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have received permission to publish the table. :thumbsup

The table is now in the wiki. See: Callan periodic table of investment returns

The wiki has also been revised to reflect a name change from Callan Associates to Callan LLC.

Please double-check, as Callan has changed their proxy index from MSCI EAFE* to MSCI World ex USA. The entire table was reworked, meaning that the tracking spreadsheets will need to be redone.

The 2017 table is here: File:Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns.png (what's shown in the wiki page)

The 2016 table is here: 19:35, 12 January 2017 (archive)

This change impacted the ranking of the S&P 500 Growth Index, which is used to show how the table works (fixed).

*MSCI == Morgan Stanley Capital International
EAFE == Europe, Australasia and the Far East
MarginalCost

Post by MarginalCost »

Thesaints wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:02 pm I was referring to investment grade bonds, BABI therefore, and when they were negative they were not at the bottom of the rankings.
Aha, I get it now. My apologies.
TD2626

Post by TD2626 »

It's interesting the performance of Russell 2000 Value relative to other things given SCVs popularity. One must remember that investing for a lifetime-length goal is often a 40-70 year endeavor so single years likely don't matter much --- but SCV supporters shouldn't expect too much (if anything) and should realize it can perform poorly!

Also, the chart is interesting regarding emerging markets. It's worth looking at the number of times EM has been at the bottom of the chart and particularly its staggering past losses (in 2008, for example). The volatility is very apparent from the chart.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I should point out that Callan LLC also provides the periodic table for other investments.

See: Periodic Table of Investments - Callan

The "The Callan Periodic Table Collection" contains the existing table and "10 additional versions including the indices relative to inflation, real estate indices, and hedge fund sub-strategies."

The link is in the wiki: Callan periodic table of investment returns (External links)
siamond

Post by siamond »

SimpleGift wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:34 pmOne useful pattern, in my view, is to align each year on the S&P 500 return [...]
That's a cool idea, SimpleGift. It would be interesting to have a tool allowing to generate a similar chart with an arbitrary portfolio of reference (kind of generalizing your idea of using S&P 500 as an anchor).
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

siamond wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 pm
SimpleGift wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:34 pmOne useful pattern, in my view, is to align each year on the S&P 500 return [...]
That's a cool idea, SimpleGift. It would be interesting to have a tool allowing to generate a similar chart with an arbitrary portfolio of reference (kind of generalizing your idea of using S&P 500 as an anchor).
Yes, I don't know nearly enough about writing code to even surmise how difficult a project this would be (since my approach was just to digitally cut-and-paste the Callan Table in a graphics program) — but I wouldn't doubt there are quite a few Bogleheads with the programming skills to build such a tool.

Whether the work involved would be worth it for the cool visuals...well, they'd have to decide that for themselves.
integrity

Callan Table through 2017

Post by integrity »

[merged integrity's post into this existing thread - moderator prudent]
Sorry if this was posted already and I missed it. Another January brings another updated Callan table.

https://www.callan.com/periodic-table-investments/

Two consecutive years now with all indices giving positive returns. So much for finding something to "buy low".
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I was about to post a link to a Money magazine article by Walter Updegrave on the updated Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns, but I see that this has already been the focus of discussion of several (merged) threads. I will still post the link to the article here, because it offers a good discussion about “practical lessons” one can take away from this chart.

This One Chart Can Help You retire Richer: http://time.com/money/5124387/investing ... t-returns/

Some years back when my former employer was revamping the 401k program, they brought on a personal finance consultant to help employees understand their options and how to plan for retirement. The one thing I really remember from my exposure to these folks was this chart. It really brought home the importance of diversification. (Updegrave Lesson #3) I’m thinking I might add it to the slide set I use in my Financial Beginnings presentation on Investing Fundamentals to high school classes.

PS Given what I took away from the chart, I find it interesting that the so much of the discussion on this thread seems to do with using the table to develop some sort of algorithm for investing.