Morningstar Premium for $99

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
DWesterb2iz2

Morningstar Premium for $99

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Half off the regular price. Does anyone find the site worthwhile?
http://app.mscomm.morningstar.com/e/es? ... 92&elqat=1

rob

Re: Morningstar Premium for $99

Post by rob » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 pm

No...
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes ...
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

MadDwag

Post by MadDwag » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Check with your local library. Mine lets me login to M* premium stuff for free ( well, my ever-increasing property tax bill)

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I was waiting for that to come back around again.

I find it worth $99, but not the $199 regular "discount" price. To be honest, though, I don't really need it. It's mostly for entertainment.

(I use a one-time-use virtual card so that they can't auto-renew me in a year for full price.)

wander

Post by wander » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 pm

I've got it for free through my brokerage account.

spdoublebass

Post by spdoublebass » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:51 pm

You can use Xray and Chart any fund for free, what do you get beyond that? That's all I ever really needed. I was always curious what else there is, but never signed up for a free trial.
Resist much, obey little.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:03 am

spdoublebass wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:51 pm
You can use Xray and Chart any fund for free, what do you get beyond that? That's all I ever really needed. I was always curious what else there is, but never signed up for a free trial.
http://global.morningstar.com/us/docume ... eSheet.pdf

grog

Post by grog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 am

spdoublebass wrote:
I did the trial recently. You can get that xray stuff for a specific fund for free but premium let's you do it an entire portfolio and save results which is sort of nice. And you can do things like look at portfolio level equity holdings to see exactly how much Microsoft you're holding, for example, across all your funds (with the fund split). They also do write-ups/evaluations for most funds and have other articles. I could see myself using these features once a year perhaps. If you have a simple, passive portfolio and you're not trying to pick funds, you just don't really need to do all that sort of research. It would just be academic. So I wouldn't pay $100 for it. Especially when there's Portfolio Visualizer. Plus, I don't like the subscription aspect. They have no easy way to cancel online. It's by phone.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:59 am

grog wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 am
spdoublebass wrote:
I did the trial recently. You can get that xray stuff for a specific fund for free but premium let's you do it an entire portfolio and save results which is sort of nice. And you can do things like look at portfolio level equity holdings to see exactly how much Microsoft you're holding, for example, across all your funds (with the fund split).

It's only true for the top holdings (it was 50 when I subscribed a few years ago). So you won't (or I didn't at that time) get an accurate read by adding in a small cap fund, for instance, because the small cap holdings in a total market funds are past the point where they are tracked and aren't added to to the small cap fund's holding.

It worked well for the top holdings though if I added a total market or large cap value fund for instance.
grog wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 am
They also do write-ups/evaluations for most funds and have other articles. I could see myself using these features once a year perhaps. If you have a simple, passive portfolio and you're not trying to pick funds, you just don't really need to do all that sort of research. It would just be academic. So I wouldn't pay $100 for it. Especially when there's Portfolio Visualizer. Plus, I don't like the subscription aspect. They have no easy way to cancel online. It's by phone.
I agree. The articles were useful to understand international REITs I thought. Different funds have larger or small holdings of Real Estate Development companies (which aren't REITS but popular in some regions) and regions.

If they had better write ups on factor investing, I might subscribe again. Honestly looking at the loadings on 20 or so different multi factor funds and trying to understand the returns (often "explained" by negative alpha for AQR and Goldman at least - not so much for iShares) ... I have simply concluded that factor funds seem like active funds meaning you can't predict which one will outperform. The loadings and factor premiums don't really account for performance (as much is unexplained in alpha - not manager skill or lack or it I think but just unexplained meaning the methodology for various funds ends up with returns different from the model long/short portfolios that get used for reference).

Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Regarding individual corporate and treasury bonds, how does the M* portfolio and analysis tool handle them?

Eg does it know their coupon, maturity and credit rating?
Does it nicely blend and evaluate them together with bond fund like it seems to for individual stocks and stock funds?
"So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:06 pm

I can't remember but there was some sort of deal they offered awhile back. 3 years for something. I signed up.
DW uses it to track and manage MIL's portfolio because it's across various brokerages and the interface is easy for her.
Certainly a better deal than Loopnet which costs huge bucks and I only used it for a short time.
j :D

vencat

Post by vencat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm

I get free online access through pulic library website!!

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:15 pm

jhfenton wrote: I use a one-time-use virtual card so that they can't auto-renew me in a year for full price.
What is a one-time-use virtual card and how do we find them and use them?
Sounds great for these situations when publications want to auto-renew and it's virtually impossible to stop them from doing so (such as the New Yorker, etc)

stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 pm

DWesterb2iz2 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm
Half off the regular price. Does anyone find the site worthwhile?
http://app.mscomm.morningstar.com/e/es? ... 92&elqat=1
I use it a few times a year to read analyst write ups on funds. I get it for free from my brokerage holdings.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:15 pm
jhfenton wrote: I use a one-time-use virtual card so that they can't auto-renew me in a year for full price.
What is a one-time-use virtual card and how do we find them and use them?
Sounds great for these situations when publications want to auto-renew and it's virtually impossible to stop them from doing so (such as the New Yorker, etc)
I'm using Privacy.com. The downside is that you have to tie it to your bank account rather than a credit card. The upside is that you have a great deal of flexibility in creating and configuring virtual credit cards. You can limit them to specific merchants, make them one-time use (burner cards), limit the total dollar amount or amount per year, etc., or any combination thereof.

matjen

Post by matjen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks for the link OP. I agree that it is worth the $99 a year to me but not the $199. I am a big fan of the X-Ray feature across entire portfolios.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:18 pm

jhfenton wrote: I'm using Privacy.com. The downside is that you have to tie it to your bank account rather than a credit card. The upside is that you have a great deal of flexibility in creating and configuring virtual credit cards. You can limit them to specific merchants, make them one-time use (burner cards), limit the total dollar amount or amount per year, etc., or any combination thereof.
Thank you for the info :happy
Are there other virtual cards that can be tied to a credit card & might there be more protection if tied to a CC?

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:18 pm
jhfenton wrote: I'm using Privacy.com. The downside is that you have to tie it to your bank account rather than a credit card. The upside is that you have a great deal of flexibility in creating and configuring virtual credit cards. You can limit them to specific merchants, make them one-time use (burner cards), limit the total dollar amount or amount per year, etc., or any combination thereof.
Thank you for the info :happy
Are there other virtual cards that can be tied to a credit card & might there be more protection if tied to a CC?
I know some credit card providers offer the service for their own cards. Citi and Bank of America show up on a quick search. But none of mine do, and I haven't been inspired to switch cards over it yet.

I don't know of any third party providers like Privacy that allow funding with credit cards. That would eliminate their profit.

You probably do have more fraud protection with a true credit card. I haven't tested a dispute with a Privacy "credit card", so I wouldn't use Privacy with a large purchase where there was a high chance I might have a dispute with the merchant (e.g., an eBay purchase). On the other hand, for small digital purchases from unfamiliar merchants, I'd rather run the risk of eating a small charge than dealing with the hassle of having to cancel an existing credit card and waiting for a replacement. And for a subscription service with a reputable vendor like M*, I'm not worried about fraud, just avoiding auto-renewal.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:41 pm

^^^ Good information, thank you!

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks but
No Thanks
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

G-Force

Post by G-Force » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:37 pm

wander wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 pm
I've got it for free through my brokerage account.
Which brokerage offers it for free?

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Reb Tevye wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:59 pm
Regarding individual corporate and treasury bonds, how does the M* portfolio and analysis tool handle them?

Does it nicely blend and evaluate them together with bond fund like it seems to for individual stocks and stock funds?
Yes. Sort of.

You add the bond data on a separate screen from the fund/stock page. You have to input the coupon and maturity manually. Also credit rating if I remember.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 pm

I subscribed for a half price subscription 3 years ago, and was shocked when it auto renewed at full price one year later. I find that I can do everything without paying for the subscription including the X-ray feature on my I-pad. For some reason, the x-ray feature is available on my Ipad app without having to type anything into the tool. I did not renew after the 2nd year and have not missed the additional features at all.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 am

Doc wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:23 pm
Reb Tevye wrote:

Yes. Sort of.

You add the bond data on a separate screen from the fund/stock page. You have to input the coupon and maturity manually. Also credit rating if I remember.
OK. Thanks Doc. Then I may give it a try.

larryslocum1982

Post by larryslocum1982 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 am

Thx. This is good info to get it free. I do not néed xray.

wander

Post by wander » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm

G-Force wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:37 pm
Which brokerage offers it for free?
T.Rowe Price.

Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 pm

Reb Tevye wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 am
Doc wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:23 pm
Reb Tevye wrote:

Yes. Sort of.

OK. Thanks Doc. Then I may give it a try.
Hmm, I can't see how to do it and get the actual bonds incorporated in the 'portfolio analysis.'

I did find this quote...
Morningstar
Individual Bonds
Individual bonds are among the most commonly held securities on which Morningstar.com users won't be able to dig up data or incorporate into their portfolio analysis. Rest assured, bringing this data to you is on our to-do list. In the meantime, your best workaround is to find an index fund, exchange-traded fund, or possibly even a plain-vanilla actively managed bond fund that matches your holding in terms of its duration and credit quality.

For individual Treasury bond exposure, consider using the iShares Barclays Treasury ETFs that match your Treasury bonds' duration exposure as a proxy for your actual holdings. (Type "iShares" in the ticker finder to see a long listing of the firm's fixed-income ETFs.)

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:15 am

Reb Tevye wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 pm
Hmm, I can't see how to do it and get the actual bonds incorporated in the 'portfolio analysis.'

I did find this quote...
I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Here's a sample of the input screen:

And the output:

From your quote from 2014:
Individual Bonds
Individual bonds are among the most commonly held securities on which Morningstar.com users won't be able to dig up data or incorporate into their portfolio analysis. Rest assured, bringing this data to you is on our to-do list. In the meantime, your best workaround is to find an index fund, exchange-traded fund, or possibly even a plain-vanilla actively managed bond fund that matches your holding in terms of its duration and credit quality.
Maybe the difference is due to the fact that I only use individual Treasuries. I also have recently been using the the "plain-vanilla actively managed bond fund" for convenience so that I don't need to update the bond data all the time. Maybe it's the necessity of manual updates of the data that is the issue. :idea:

On a related note, Quicken has recently added a Morningstar Xray "screen" into their program but it does not have the individual bond inputs. You need to use the workaround from the 2014 M* quote.

investor

Post by investor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 am

YES, Worth while.

investor

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:08 am

vencat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm
Thanks to you and MadDawg for this little tip. Investigated and discovered my library offers same. I plan to do a little experimentation with this interesting tool. Really interested in the X-Ray tool. Does the forum know if there's a method to save my portfolio while logged in thru the library? Do I need to create an account? Any additional input would be appreciated.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:12 am

AllMostThere wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:08 am
vencat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm
Thanks to you and MadDawg for this little tip. Investigated and discovered my library offers same. I plan to do a little experimentation with this interesting tool. Really interested in the X-Ray tool. Does the forum know if there's a method to save my portfolio while logged in thru the library? Do I need to create an account? Any additional input would be appreciated.
I believe you need an account to save your portfolio unless you can get access from a broker or just recently Quicken.

westrichj312

Post by westrichj312 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 am

Morningstar valueline and many others are all free at every library around my house

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am

westrichj312 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 am
Morningstar valueline and many others are all free at every library around my house
It's not whether or not its free. The question is how do you save a portfolio in a free version so that you don't need to enter everything each time you want to do a Portfolio Xray.