Trying to understand opening and current ETF prices. (Not why did my fund suddenly drop in value)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
spdoublebass

Trying to understand opening and current ETF prices. (Not why did my fund suddenly drop in value)

Post by spdoublebass » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 am

Take BND (total bond ETF) for example.

When I look at its opening price (for today) it’s listed as $81.43
However, its current price is $81.33. The +/- says 0. So if I’m reading this correctly, it’s saying the price hasn’t moved, but it has....its down 10 cents from the opening price.

What am I missing.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to explain this to me.
Resist much, obey little.

triceratop

Re: Trying to understand opening and current ETF prices. (Not why did my fund suddenly drop in value)

Post by triceratop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 am

The 0-mark is not the open, but the previous market day's close (possibly adjusted for dividend). BND closed yesterday at $81.34.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

spdoublebass

Re: Trying to understand opening and current ETF prices. (Not why did my fund suddenly drop in value)

Post by spdoublebass » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

triceratop wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 am
The 0-mark is not the open, but the previous market day's close (possibly adjusted for dividend). BND closed yesterday at $81.34.
Thank you for this info. I swear I googled this before I posted my question.

This makes perfect sense.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Another issue, while it doesn't apply here: if the ETF paid a dividend, the daily change will be adjusted. If an ETF closed yesterday at $50, paid a $1 dividend, and is now trading at $49.30, it will report an increase of $0.30; if you held it yesterday, you are $0.30 ahead since you have a share worth $49.30 and $1 in cash.

(This surprised me once when I deliberately waited until an ETF went ex-dividend to buy it, in order to avoid paying tax on a capital gain. The ETF opened at a price 3% lower than the previous day's close, but was reported as up; it took me a minute to realize what had happened.)
Wiki David Grabiner

spdoublebass

Post by spdoublebass » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:14 pm

grabiner wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 pm
Another issue, while it doesn't apply here: if the ETF paid a dividend, the daily change will be adjusted. If an ETF closed yesterday at $50, paid a $1 dividend, and is now trading at $49.30, it will report an increase of $0.30; if you held it yesterday, you are $0.30 ahead since you have a share worth $49.30 and $1 in cash.

(This surprised me once when I deliberately waited until an ETF went ex-dividend to buy it, in order to avoid paying tax on a capital gain. The ETF opened at a price 3% lower than the previous day's close, but was reported as up; it took me a minute to realize what had happened.)
Thanks for that information. I would not have known that otherwise.

Another random question I have is this:
is it possible to chart/graph a fixed percentage (SVF/Savings account/CD) against an Index Fund/ETF?

Say i go on Morningstar or Portfolio Vis. is there a way to chart TSM, TBM, and say an account that has a fixed 2% interest?

My research is leading me to believe it doesn't exist.