Do Vanguard and Fidelity have automatic rebalancing?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
bogleface99

Do Vanguard and Fidelity have automatic rebalancing?

Post by bogleface99 »

And if so what are the intervals where you can schedule this? Thanks.
livesoft

Re: Do Vanguard and Fidelity have automatic rebalancing?

Post by livesoft »

To my knowledge, not in IRAs nor taxable accounts unless one uses a single Target Retirement fund or LifeStrategy fund per account.

401(k)s and 403(b)s are another kind of account that I don't know about.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
pangea33

Post by pangea33 »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:19 am To my knowledge, not in IRAs nor taxable accounts unless one uses a single Target Retirement fund or LifeStrategy fund per account.

401(k)s and 403(b)s are another kind of account that I don't know about.
I've been using a couple target date funds to dial in my AA. The 5 year increments didn't match my desired allocation.

Other than that, I'm not sure how they could programmatically rebalance in a way that wouldn't make at least some people angry.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Unfortunately, no. It's a long-standing feature request.
dbr

Post by dbr »

It might be unusual for all of one's asset's to be under control of one broker. For starters most 401/403/457/TSP plans are not brokerage accounts at Vanguard or Fidelity. I would think the mechanics would be almost undoable.
telemark

Post by telemark »

My 401ks at Fidelity have the option to rebalance to a set allocation on an annual, semi-annual, or quarterly basis. Or you can choose to get a notification when the allocation wanders out of predefined bands. They won't rebalance between plans, though.
facepalm

Post by facepalm »

My 403(b) at Vanguard does have automatic rebalancing. I can rebalance quarterly, semiannually, or annually. There may be other options.

But this is new. The feature was added in the past few months because Vanguard has contracted with the Newport Group to provide some management features and record keeping for 403(b) plans, for which they are now charging my account $5 per month. On the plus side I can buy admiral class shares with no minimum.
dbr

Post by dbr »

facepalm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 am My 403(b) at Vanguard does have automatic rebalancing. I can rebalance quarterly, semiannually, or annually. There may be other options.

But this is new. The feature was added in the past few months because Vanguard has contracted with the Newport Group to provide some management features and record keeping for 403(b) plans, for which they are now charging my account $5 per month. On the plus side I can buy admiral class shares with no minimum.
How do they know what to rebalance to if they don't have a record of all your other holdings, or do they have a tabulation somewhere of what that is?
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

DW's 401k at Schwab automatically rebalances. My former 401k was through Fidelity, and it used to have automatic rebalancing. But that was discontinued, and replaced by an email notification when your allocation drifted a user-settable percent out of target. It was then up to you to rebalance if you wanted to. I'm not aware of any taxable account that has such a feature.
facepalm

Post by facepalm »

dbr wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 am
facepalm wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 am My 403(b) at Vanguard does have automatic rebalancing. I can rebalance quarterly, semiannually, or annually. There may be other options.

How do they know what to rebalance to if they don't have a record of all your other holdings, or do they have a tabulation somewhere of what that is?
The rebalancing is specific only to the account and funds they manage, and does not take into account funds held elsewhere.

I checked, and can still add outside investments for tracking purposes to my Vanguard account. They do imply that once you have done so they can "advise" you on things like asset allocations and fund returns. But Vanguard will still only rebalance holdings within their accounts.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

For an IRA you might check our wisebanyon. Free, low cost etf roboadvisor. No personal experience, here is a review.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investi ... an-review/
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

It sounds to me like the original question is about non-401k/403B/457 plans, just a regular account (taxable or IRA).
As far as I know, this is not available unless you get a balanced fund.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is free robo advisor service that does auto rebalancing.
ThePrince

Post by ThePrince »

I believe their Fidelity Go service may.
ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl »

Nate79 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:44 pm Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is free robo advisor service that does auto rebalancing.
:sharebeer I get notifications on a regular bases.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Thanks for bringing up this. I dont know that my current 401k with fidelity have this option but my previous has.
Fidelity guided me how to do in 401k now. All set for 80:20
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner