Savings Bond Wizard to be eliminated 5/18

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
CABob

Re: Savings Bond Wizard to be eliminated 5/18

Post by CABob »

BigJohn wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:35 pm I moved my SB Wizard inventories to the SB Calculator over the weekend. The transfer went without a problem and the saved file opened up later without a hitch. In terms of functionality the SB Calculator seems to do everything I used SB Wizard for so no worries there. At least for me this was as painless as a program transition gets.
Did you have to enter all of the information from the Wizard into the Calculator or could you transfer the Wizard file over?
I have a large number of bonds of small denominations going back 30 years or so and don't look forward to inputting each bond individually but guess I will do so if I must.
Bob
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

CABob wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 pm
BigJohn wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:35 pm I moved my SB Wizard inventories to the SB Calculator over the weekend. The transfer went without a problem and the saved file opened up later without a hitch. In terms of functionality the SB Calculator seems to do everything I used SB Wizard for so no worries there. At least for me this was as painless as a program transition gets.
Did you have to enter all of the information from the Wizard into the Calculator or could you transfer the Wizard file over?
I have a large number of bonds of small denominations going back 30 years or so and don't look forward to inputting each bond individually but guess I will do so if I must.
I'll answer for me. The transfer of my 105 bonds was complete. You can read other comments on an earlier thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=248455
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

EyeYield wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm
nisiprius wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:00 am
WolfgangPauli wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:48 am I am confused as to what this is. I have loaded all my paper bonds into the website then I saved it (data only) using the instructions they provided. Then, when I click on the file saved the next month it automatically updates on the web. I then save under a different name and do that all over again every month.

Is this the "savings bond wizard" or is this perhaps what they are pushing everyone to? I have never downloaded any software. All on the web. I assume just pulling up your electronic bonds will not change?
I think you are using what people are calling the "savings bond calculator." The web page that looks like this:

The savings bond wizard is/was a Windows application (no versions for other platforms).

I used to use the calculator web page and found it totally satisfactory--but as I write this, I discover that sometime between 2017 and now, it has in fact quit working properly for me. I don't know if the problem is something they've changed or the result of my upgrading to High Sierra and Safari 11, but I can no longer load my inventory from a web archive and then successfully update the redemption date. What a pain. Update: my inventory is actually a year-2012 file (because I haven't added paper bonds since then). It's in Safari "web archive" format. If I load it and try to update the redemption date, it loses the entire bond inventory. If I start fresh and enter a couple of bonds, save as web archive, load web archive file and update redemption date, it works. So... just some kind of glitch. Somewhere. I'll sit down and do the half-hour's work to re-create the whole file sometime...
Using OSX 10.9.5 and Safari 9.1.3 I was able to update all my EE bonds to 01/2018 in the Savings Bond Calculator, using a Web archive file from 2012, without them going away, so maybe it’s only not working with the latest OS? Do you have access to a Mac with an older version of the OS?

Just in case, I did a (EDIT) Export as .pdf of both my denomination pages and emailed them to myself, which will make it easier if I have to re enter the info.
Now that I’ve updated to High Sierra, my inventory is also lost - just to confirm.
Glad I saved the pdf, I don’t want to re enter all that information.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Just follow the directions at the SB Calculator website and it should transfer your SB Wizard inventory. Then save that file in new format and you should be set with no manual entry required.
MrDrinkingWater

Post by MrDrinkingWater »

BigJohn wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Just follow the directions at the SB Calculator website and it should transfer your SB Wizard inventory. Then save that file in new format and you should be set with no manual entry required.
The directions on the website worked for me.

I did notice in the new screen display and printout from SB Calculator that it does not have a "Yield" column like SBWizard had. I liked seeing the "Yield" data so easily, so I'll miss SBWizard.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Transfer went OK for me with one major EXCEPTION. The bonds in my exported file that had been 'cashed in' lost that notation. Those "cashed in" bonds were properly labelled "CI" in the Savings Bond Wizard and they no longer were added to the totals. In the new Calculator the "CI" label is not evident and it seems to think those bonds are still outstanding and earning interest. It then adds there values to the total value of the bond portfolio which is wrong.

Easy for me to deal with that by "removing" the cashed bonds from the list but like with the removal of "Yield" column, another feature in the Wizard I will miss.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

MrDrinkingWater wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:37 am I did notice in the new screen display and printout from SB Calculator that it does not have a "Yield" column like SBWizard had. I liked seeing the "Yield" data so easily, so I'll miss SBWizard.
Yup, I noticed that immediately too.

As a much less convenient option you can always reference #Cruncher's eyebonds.info/ibonds
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Once your bonds are safely ensconced in treasury direct, that's all the calculation you need. At least that's all I need. I think these calculators are meant for the paper-centric era. TD does it all.

(And if you have gone through the pain of placing all your bonds in TD, I feel it would be excruciating to coordinate info between TD and some external application, even if there was some extra capability there.)

And I can't see any possible reason anyone would want to have paper bonds unless they had some special very non-standard needs.
MrDrinkingWater

Post by MrDrinkingWater »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 am
MrDrinkingWater wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:37 am I did notice in the new screen display and printout from SB Calculator that it does not have a "Yield" column like SBWizard had. I liked seeing the "Yield" data so easily, so I'll miss SBWizard.
Yup, I noticed that immediately too.

As a much less convenient option you can always reference #Cruncher's eyebonds.info/ibonds
Thank you, Spirit Rider, for pointing out that link to me and others who are reading this thread. There's a lot of good information there about I-Bonds.

Another thing I liked about SBWizard was that I could put both I-Bond and EE Bond data into that tool. I still have a few old EE Bonds that are making 4% for one to five more years.

I may just buckle down and turn all my old paper bonds into electronic entries at Treasury Direct, as rgs92 suggests.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

rgs92 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am And I can't see any possible reason anyone would want to have paper bonds unless they had some special very non-standard needs.
Who says you need a reason. Some of us old coots prefer Savings Bonds the way they were always meant to be.

We might have to hold our stocks and bonds in electronic book systems, but I'm keeping my paper certificates thank you very much.

Who says technological advancements represent "progress". I say this as someone who spent their more than four decade career in computers beginning with the Sperry Univac CP-890.
Topic Author
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:32 pm
rgs92 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am And I can't see any possible reason anyone would want to have paper bonds unless they had some special very non-standard needs.
Who says you need a reason. Some of us old coots prefer Savings Bonds the way they were always meant to be.

We might have to hold our stocks and bonds in electronic book systems, but I'm keeping my paper certificates thank you very much.

Who says technological advancements represent "progress". I say this as someone who spent their more than four decade career in computers beginning with the Sperry Univac CP-890.
+1 I have nonstandard reasons for holding these bonds as paper bonds. One is that my heirs will have bonds that are in my safe deposit box and can be cashed in at a federal reserve bank if commercial banks no longer cash in these bonds. Another reason is that I don't have faith in the government to maintain a secure electronic system. Hackers both foreign and domestic may be able to corrupt the system. I may be paranoid. But recent hacks and exploitation of websites both private and governmental have done little to assuage my paranoia.

DMW
rk911

Post by rk911 »

The SBW was a valuable tool for us as we have a very large database of EE bonds purchased over 30-years redeeming them yearly as they mature. the SBC is worthless to us. While the aggregate value SBC provides is good I really liked the spreadsheet showing each bond's current value. I've been searching for an alternative for Windows but have come up dry so I may just have to take a crack at writing the spreadsheet myself. Just another example of 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
rk911

Post by rk911 »

Dead Man Walking wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:49 am ...Another reason is that I don't have faith in the government to maintain a secure electronic system. Hackers both foreign and domestic may be able to corrupt the system. I may be paranoid. But recent hacks and exploitation of websites both private and governmental have done little to assuage my paranoia.

DMW
100% agree, not paranoid but concerned. although we stopped buying EE Bonds about 15-years ago if the only way to purchase them today was electronic we'd take a pass.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

I thought I had the Wizard to Calculator working. Now when I go to the screen that shows Total Price and Total Value numbers, click on "Go to Savings Bond Calculator", then use Value as of 6/2018 an hit Update", nothing happens.
maywood

Post by maywood »

Mitchell777, try clearing your browser history. Here is some info I posted in the other saving bond thread:

I have several different bond lists/files, one for me, one for each child and one for parents. Figured out (with tip in the instructions) that you have to delete your browsing history every time you open up a different file/set of bonds. It's a pain but it works. Otherwise I had the same problem you did. So after you view one file, close that tab, delete browsing history, then open the new file. My browser is IE 11.

maywood
ccasey99

Post by ccasey99 »

Count me in as an "old coot" too. I liked the detail provided by SBW much better and I kind of liked the antique look of the app.
It was a piece of cake to move to SBC. They probably had just one person who supported the application and they finally retired.
I guess I'd give them credit for making the transition simple enough.

I did however begin the process to convert to electronic several years ago. I created an account, typed up my complete inventory of 65 iBonds, then discovered that since the paper bonds are all titled to my trust I needed to create the account as a trust account - duh! I shelved the idea and decided that I like having paper in my safe deposit box for the "non-standard" reasons already stated.

I guess I'll revisit the process again someday.

cc
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

Thank you Maywood. That worked.
RaynOH41

Post by RaynOH41 »

Using Windows 10 on which the default browser is Google, the Calculator would not work even if I unloaded Google and had Internet Explorer up. Clicking on the Savings Bonds Wizard created the htm file opened it in Edge which is incompatible and impossible to eliminate. A right click on the htm file, then selecting Internet Explorer as the file to open with worked fine.
smectym

Post by smectym »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:32 pm

SpiritRider, agreed—and it appears paper savings bonds, of which I have a number in my safe, may have significant scripophiliacal value as well. Though I fear that in order to redeem them the paper bond must be surrendered

Smectym
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

" Can only hope a third party steps into the breach and essentially offers similar software with accurate continuing updates."

Please. Anyone?
rmgflorida

Post by rmgflorida »

I uninstalled savings Bond Wizard by Mistake. How can I get another copy?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

No, the SBW is gone forever.