Individual Stocks That Went Bust

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Jimbo9911

Re: Individual Stocks That Went Bust

Post by Jimbo9911 »

Hercules Offshore (HERO).
The one time I played with an individual stock, never again.
When the price finally got down around $5. per share following the moratorium on offshore drilling I figured it had to be ready to come back up.
Invested $5,000 of gambling money and lost it all.

Growth of $10,000.00
Without Dividends Reinvested
HERO split-adjusted CAGR
Start date: 01/24/2008
End date: 06/14/2016
Start price/share: $22.66
End price/share: $1.22
Dividends collected/share: $0.00
Total return: -94.62%
Average Annual Total Return: -29.40%
Starting investment: $10,000.00
Ending investment: $538.52
Years: 8.39
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Kaypro computers. Throughout the 80's they have a huge advantage in "luggable" personal computers. However, they went bust. As one financial author put it: "Plenty of Kays not enough pros".
Tanker

Post by Tanker »

As one who celebrated his 21st birthday in the early 80's and decades before today's craft beer explosion, who'da thunk that these giants would decline so badly after being among the few options around for over a century? I guess Pabst still owns a few labels, but the original companies are gone and the surviving brands are lucky to get much grocer shelf space today:
:sharebeer
:shock: Stroh Brewing Company (Family fortune of $700 Million lost in steepest decline in American brewing history)
:shock: Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company
:shock: Goebel Brewing Company
:shock: Schaefer Beer
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Valuethinker wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:53 am
billfromct wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:49 am As Ken Olsen, Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) founder & CEO said in the early 1980s after IBM came out with the IBM PC: "Who would need a computer on their desk?" (or something like that).

Ken wanted everything on a central mini computer accessed by a "dumb" terminal. His idea of "the cloud" was 20 or 25 years early.

The rest is history.

bill
The quote is apparently taken out of context.

But DEC found it impossible to kill their existing business. Thus, when they launched a PC, it cost $20k, so it wouldn't compete with their VAX series minicomputers.

None of the minicomputer makers (Prime, Data General see "Soul of a New Machine", DEC) survived the PC era.
I worked on Data General MV series computers in my first job. Lots of fun and good computers. I was sad to see them replaced by UNIX boxes.
travellight

Post by travellight »

TWA?

most recently, moviepass stock fell from a high of about $8900 to recently at $125 to 3 cents per share.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

I don't think anyone has mentioned Commodore Computers, which popularized the home computer and showed that above all, it could be fun. (Remember Zork?). It tried to leverage its success with the Commodore 64 by coming out with the technically advanced Amiga. But generally the market found the Amiga an answer to a question no one was asking, and it and Commodore went bust.

And yes, I invested in Commodore. I bought at $50 and sold at $5. One of my earliest lessons that I didn't know what I was doing when it came to investing.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
harmoniousmonk

Post by harmoniousmonk »

What ever happened to EF Hutton? When EF Hutton talks, people listen.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

harmoniousmonk wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:31 am What ever happened to EF Hutton? When EF Hutton talks, people listen.
A series of financial scandals in the 80's weakened it, then Black Monday in 1987 pretty much croaked it. It merged with an American Express affiliate in 1988, then was dropped as a brand name in 1990.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
Banjoman

Post by Banjoman »

GM
Delphi
True simplicity is very complex and hard to achieve... Steve Jobs
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

What are the odds of GE joining this list in the next few years?
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

GE -are the parts worth more than the whole?