New Schwab spot: "Buy invididual stocks impulsively in the middle of the night!"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
ERMD

New Schwab spot: "Buy invididual stocks impulsively in the middle of the night!"

Post by ERMD » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:05 pm

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wzYi/schwab-tra ... -good-idea

Ok, so maybe the title is a bit of an exaggeration, but see for yourself. I laughed. It's so antithetical to everything about this forum that I just couldn't resist. :happy
between scotch and nothing, i'll take scotch. -- faulkner

PaulF

Re: New Schwab spot: "Buy invididual stocks impulsively in the middle of the night!"

Post by PaulF » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Yeah, I think your title nailed it!

Topic Author
ERMD

Re: New Schwab spot: "Buy invididual stocks impulsively in the middle of the night!"

Post by ERMD » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:41 am

My favorite line is: "..don't let that sudden gem of genius vanish into thin air!" Aside from encouraging buying stock on a whim, what an awkward turn of phrase -- "sudden gem of genius". Don't they pay people a lot of money to parse this stuff?

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 am

My reaction is that the investor may have come up with a really great idea but the reality is that the robots beat him to it. I don't believe that buying investments on the spur of the moment is a good idea, I try to put a lot of thought into things beforehand.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 am

If dreamed I could fly should I immediately act on that before the thought "vanishes into thin air"?
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

WL2034

Post by WL2034 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am

You can tell by the stylish glasses he wears during the commercial that he is thoughtful and successful enough to beat the robots at investing. I just signed up for a Schwab account and moved my computer to the bedside so it is ready for my midnight epiphanies.

Reb Tevye

Post by Reb Tevye » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Here's an ad featuring my namesake (colloquial usage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRGHG_C-dl0

Indeed it is starting to "feel" like the late 90's again.
"So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm

WL2034 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am
You can tell by the stylish glasses he wears during the commercial that he is thoughtful and successful enough to beat the robots at investing. I just signed up for a Schwab account and moved my computer to the bedside so it is ready for my midnight epiphanies.
That's my problem! I don't wear stylish enough glasses! That is why my investment returns have been disappointing. Plus I do my computing on Microsoft/Intel platforms, Apple would be so much cooler.

Let's make investing cool again!
A fool and his money are good for business.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:52 pm

WL2034 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am
WL2034 wrote: ↑Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am
Great idea!! :D

Just remember, if it is ~ 3:00 AM on the East Coast, the Asian markets have been trading for about - what? Six hours? The robots and a whole lot of humans already got there before you. Best just to get eight hours of uninterrupted sleep and hit it again in the morning.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:28 pm

ERMD wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:41 am
My favorite line is: "..don't let that sudden gem of genius vanish into thin air!" Aside from encouraging buying stock on a whim, what an awkward turn of phrase -- "sudden gem of genius". Don't they pay people a lot of money to parse this stuff?
Dorothy Parker wrote once that... (pause to check)... oh, darn it... nobody knows who wrote it and the story and poem are attributed to all the usual "quote magnets..." let's start again.

Legend has it that a successful writer said that he kept a notebook and pencil ready on his night table, so that if he woke up in the wee hours with a great idea, he could write it down. A young writer decided to emulate that wise example. One night, she woke up, thunderstruck with a certainty that she had received a profound insight into the nature of the universe, wrote it down, and went to sleep. Next morning, she looked in her notebook and found that she had written:

Hoggamus, higgamus,
Men are polygamous;
Higgamus, hoggamus,
Women monogamous.

I doubt that investment ideas that come to you in a dozing state of altered consciousness are any better.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:21 am

the holistic healer episode of seinfeld has as one of its plot lines jerry trying to decipher a joke he wrote down in the middle of the night. it turned out to not be as funny as he thought it was in the middle of the night
Focus on what you can control

Topic Author
ERMD

Post by ERMD » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:57 pm

epictetus wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:21 am
the holistic healer episode of seinfeld has as one of its plot lines jerry trying to decipher a joke he wrote down in the middle of the night. it turned out to not be as funny as he thought it was in the middle of the night
I believe that was "flaming globes of Sigmund".
Last edited by ERMD on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
ERMD

Post by ERMD » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:59 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:28 pm
Hoggamus, higgamus,
Men are polygamous;
Higgamus, hoggamus,
Women monogamous.

I doubt that investment ideas that come to you in a dozing state of altered consciousness are any better.
Maybe, but HOG is up 7.4% the past 90 days, and HIG is up 16.5% YTD!