Where do you read financial news?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
gougou

Where do you read financial news?

Post by gougou » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Where do you guys read financial news everyday? Any good sources you recommend?

Toons

Re: Where do you read financial news?

Post by Toons » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Google Finance
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Bloomberg (although I don't necessarily read every day) and sometimes WSJ... and then what I hear from the typical media (try to always watch the same number of minutes on a conservative channel as on a liberal channel to balance things out).

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:10 pm

I like MSN Money and scan Yahoo! Finance for headlines as well on a daily basis. I enjoy Bloomberg and always find that Forbes has good detail; I usually end up at their website when Googling for a specific answer to something (like what the new tax brackets will look like for example).
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:41 pm

gougou wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:59 pm
Where do you guys read financial news everyday?
Yikes! Reading the "financial news" every day would probably be really bad for your portfolio. Anything worth knowing or potentially acting on happens on the scale of months, not days. Skip the "daily" media and focus on monthly or perhaps weekly.
Any good sources you recommend?
The Economist is not bad as a weekly. Many of the articles in their finance section are really more reporting on a monthly scale despite the magazine being published weekly.

Where I eat breakfast there is usually a WSJ laying around. I pick it up occasionally to remind myself how useless "daily" financial information is.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:48 pm

I use this board to learn about financial news. If someone isn't talking about it here it probably isn't important.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

HRPennypacker

Post by HRPennypacker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Financial Times. I'm a paid subscriber and it isn't cheap, but I think it's the best daily newspaper (for general news, not just finance) in the English language. I'm one of those people who reads papers constantly and subscribes to a bunch, but I always end up at the FT, everyday.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:05 pm

I only look for financial news at CNBC online when I see the "Stocks are in free fall" thread is activated here.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Favorites
Wall Street Journal
Bloomberg Radio
Yahoo Financials
Bogleheads.org

Places I don't get my Financial News /Advice
Brother-in-law
Next Door Neighbor
Friends at Christmas Parties

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:21 pm

gougou wrote:
gougou:

In my opinion, once we develop and own a properly designed portfolio, "financial news" is likely to cause more harm than good because it tempts us to make changes in our "stay-the-course" portfolio.

* If you must know what is going on in the financial world, The Wall Street Journal is a good (and expensive) publication.

* Google is a good source of up-to-the-minute business and other news: https://news.google.com/news/headlines/ ... d=us&hl=en

* If you have a financial question, the Bogleheads Forum is the place to ask.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm

I don’t read daily financial news. I read books about finance and investing, and articles that have a longer term perspective, but daily financial news isn’t relevant to my investing style, and isn’t all that interesting.

I know the stock market is up for the year, bigly. But I have no idea what happened today. It just doesn’t really matter.

I listened to an interview with Morgan Housel once, where he said that the hardest thing about being a personal finance writer was that to cover all of personal finance, there are only about six articles that needed to be written. The hard part was being able to write those six articles again and again from interesting perspectives.

Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:49 pm

My local library provides online access from home to the Wall Street Journal...I just use my library card. Works great.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton

gougou

Post by gougou » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:15 pm

thx1138 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:41 pm
gougou wrote:
Yikes! Reading the "financial news" every day would probably be really bad for your portfolio. Anything worth knowing or potentially acting on happens on the scale of months, not days. Skip the "daily" media and focus on monthly or perhaps weekly.
I don't actually "act on" daily news. But I think it's good to know some important issues such as tax reform, interest rates or some other information.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:37 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm
I don’t read daily financial news. I read books about finance and investing, and articles that have a longer term perspective, but daily financial news isn’t relevant to my investing style, and isn’t all that interesting.

I know the stock market is up for the year, bigly. But I have no idea what happened today. It just doesn’t really matter.

I listened to an interview with Morgan Housel once, where he said that the hardest thing about being a personal finance writer was that to cover all of personal finance, there are only about six articles that needed to be written. The hard part was being able to write those six articles again and again from interesting perspectives.
+1000.

Daily financial news does not affect my financial well being. If it does, I need to design a better portfolio.

I get my news from stratfor.com. It has a long-term perspective of the world.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 pm

gougou wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:15 pm
thx1138 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:41 pm
gougou wrote:
I don't actually "act on" daily news. But I think it's good to know some important issues such as tax reform, interest rates or some other information.
gougou,

Why do you think you will get that from a daily update? Any significant and important issue will show up and discussed over a very long period. The daily news source is just noises.

Read a book is more useful.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:43 pm

OP,

The daily financial news is harmful to your financial well being. If you cannot skip the news for months, there is something wrong with your portfolio. It should handle a market crash, recession, and economy crisis without you having to do anything.

KlangFool

SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:51 pm

gougou wrote:
The Financial Times. A digital subscription is a bit expensive (~$275 per year), but I find it has just the right balance of U.S. news, global developments, and even reports on interesting academic studies now and then. Usually visit the site daily, just to keep informed about what's going on in the world — though I've never acted on anything that I've read there.
Cordially, Todd

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:59 pm

I read Money Stuff, a mostly-daily financial newsletter from Bloomberg written by Matt Levine (well, to be precise: facilitated by Money Stuff Business Thing LLC, a pass-through entity backed by Matt Levine)

For those who object that it is damaging to my financial health, most of the content is not financially actionable. It is, however, highly educational about finance viewed as an organizing system for society. That is education I find important to act as an educated adult in society. It allows me to converse with a broader array of people I meet. It never has anything to do with my portfolio.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Halfvolley

Post by Halfvolley » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm

I read the WSJ, but only when they are running a promo. Recently, I called to cancel and they offered me a one year Amazon Prime extension to stay. I stuck around... for a little while :D

DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 pm

SimpleGift wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:51 pm
gougou wrote:
The Financial Times. A digital subscription is a bit expensive (~$275 per year), but I find it has just the right balance of U.S. news, global developments, and even reports on interesting academic studies now and then. Usually visit the site daily, just to keep informed about what's going on in the world — though I've never acted on anything that I've read there.
The paper subscription, delivered in their delivery zones, goes on sale for $200 sometimes. It did on Black Friday, and they had a sale last january too. That's a great paper and epaper, 6days a week for $200. Ill post on this thread if I see the sale again.

Ted Seides (who lost that bet with Buffett) has a podcast I like called "capital allocators". At the end he always asks his interviewees "What's one thing you enjoy doing that's a complete waste of time?" Several of these big-money investors have said, "Read financial publications".

http://capitalallocatorspodcast.com/podcast/

Makaveli

Post by Makaveli » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Similar to others, WSJ and bogleheads. Nice perk from company to pop for the subscription.

MarvinK

Post by MarvinK » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Morningstar

drk

Post by drk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:23 am

triceratop wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:59 pm
I read Money Stuff, a mostly-daily financial newsletter from Bloomberg written by Matt Levine (well, to be precise: facilitated by Money Stuff Business Thing LLC, a pass-through entity backed by Matt Levine)

For those who object that it is damaging to my financial health, most of the content is not financially actionable. It is, however, highly educational about finance viewed as an organizing system for society. That is education I find important to act as an educated adult in society. It allows me to converse with a broader array of people I meet. It never has anything to do with my portfolio.
Money Stuff is a gem, and anyone who would say otherwise is probably blinded by their affinity for Dentacoin.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:39 am

Daily: Wsj, Morningstar, bogleheads
Sometimes: Bloomberg

My AA is set. I do not read the financial news to change my AA or investments, but I like to be informed about what is going on in the world. Apparently some people on this forum see that as a bad thing?

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:48 am

I only read financial news via this forum and occasionally something the Google aggregator throws out.

Most of my financial news comes from listening to Marketplace on NPR as I'm driving home each day. Very little CNBC-style hype and some interesting background stories. I listen to be better educated, not to influence my investing strategy.

However I appreciate that they call out particular public companies that have had strong positive or negative price movements. It reminds me that I own all of those companies via TSM.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:56 am

Bogleheads and Morningstar Fundinvestor

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:19 am

Marketwatch

Note that I never make any trades, ever based on news. I get extra money and it goes right into investments per my IPS.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am

Toons wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:04 pm
Google Finance
I liked it better before the update. Charts showed dividends, funds had blurbs about what was in them, I'm not sure why they decided this change was better or even necessary. It made it more like a social media platform but instead of connecting with people you connect with products.

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm

Not where to you read financial news but rather "how to read the financial news." Recent article from the ever sensible, and clear thinking Morgan Housel. Doesn't exactly address the OP's question, but I found good value in this article:

http://www.collaborativefund.com/blog/h ... al-news/
At the end Mr. Housel gives his list of what he reads - and I agree with the first one and read little else of financial news -
The Ritholtz Wealth crew – Barry, Josh, Ben, and Michael – basically set the bar for everyone else. If you just read them you’ll be ahead of 90% of other investors.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/topics/ritholtz-s-reads

Evelyn

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:44 pm

bloomberg.com - They love writing stories on Vanguard
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 pm

amateurnovice wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am
Toons wrote:
Google Finance
I liked it better before the update. Charts showed dividends, funds had blurbs about what was in them, I'm not sure why they decided this change was better or even necessary. It made it more like a social media platform but instead of connecting with people you connect with products.
I have to agree.
Better before the update :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

CyberGuy

Post by CyberGuy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:21 pm

CNBC

I read on Monday that the market is getting ready to tank and on Tuesday the bulls are back in charge. It reminds me that nobody really knows the future and to stay the course.

sadie wess

Post by sadie wess » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:46 pm

fishandgolf wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:10 pm
Favorites
Wall Street Journal
Bloomberg Radio
Yahoo Financials
Bogleheads.org

Places I don't get my Financial News /Advice
Brother-in-law
Next Door Neighbor
Friends at Christmas Parties

I mostly agree. NYTs Business Section maintains high standards and has good writers. And, if you wish to spend the dough, The Economist (magazine) is excellent.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:24 am

I scan the WSJ and occasionally pick some additional information up from Google News and the Nightly Business Report (TV, not print). Of course if the news is in fact newsworthy I can always count on seeing it discussed on Bogleheads!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:27 am

Toons wrote:
Google Finance
I agree with those that liked it better. I don't trust a lot of the robo sources they're linking to these days, and the old information feeds contained more useful information. Yahoo Finance was the ideal site for me until they ruined it a few years ago. That's what these companies call progress, but IMO, they're either maliciously destroying the sites or simply incompetent. FWIW, I'm going to multiple sources to get a variety of news and information and patching it together myself. One thing not to overlook is the IR site of individual companies and their news/press releases. Nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth.

robolove

Post by robolove » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:21 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:21 pm
In my opinion, once we develop and own a properly designed portfolio, "financial news" is likely to cause more harm than good because it tempts us to make changes in our "stay-the-course" portfolio.
Exactly why I do not read any financial news.

I come to this forum for news and to stay grounded

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:48 am

I don't.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:43 am

Barron's print (Saturday). Kiplinger Tax Letter (print). Kitces, when it shows up in my inbox.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

devans0

Post by devans0 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:02 am

I'm a news junkie and follow it all. I have long known that financial porn is done for promotion, and drives lemming like behavior among analysts. It's good to be able to sit back and get a long view of the next big thing, without buying into the hype.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Whenever I (randomly) happen to look at Google News and something interesting shows up.

Generally, that's pretty rare...