Is anyone putting money aside into Gold?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
livesoft

Re: Is anyone putting money aside into Gold?

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:24 am

workerbeeengineer wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:02 am
We have a very modest amount of money in a golf mining companies stock ETF. Probably a waste of capital on our part. Even if it zags when the rest of the portfolio zigs the amount is not enough to be a meaningful hedge. Increasing the amount so as to be meaningful is too risky in our view, so back to being a waste. Hmmm....time to rethink :confused
Did you mean "meaningful wedge"? What's with zigs and zags? Were you thinking of hooks and slices?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

workerbeeengineer

Post by workerbeeengineer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am

Livestock, -the old fat finger on golf versus gold. Re zig/ zag - just my very imprecise way of expressing thought of non correlated assets. Hopefully gold ETF would go up if "normal" stocks went down.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:04 pm

No worries, I have no steak in gold nor golf myself.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm

workerbeeengineer wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am
Livestock, -the old fat finger on golf versus gold. Re zig/ zag - just my very imprecise way of expressing thought of non correlated assets. Hopefully gold ETF would go up if "normal" stocks went down.
Gold and stocks have very low historical correlation.

Gold mining stocks, on the other hand, are stocks and as far as I know are moderately correlated with other stocks, even if theoretically they shouldn't be.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

Tortoise2030

Post by Tortoise2030 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:46 pm

No. Nope.

Wombatty

Post by Wombatty » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Some fun reading on gold....

https://archive.org/stream/coinsfinanci ... 4/mode/2up

and some surprising results by holding it.....

https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/drawdowns/

In AUD,
a 40% all world equity holding, 30% cash, 30% gold gives a Max DD of 13%
a 40% all world equity holding, 60% cash , 0% gold gives a Max DD of 24%

Happy reading

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:52 pm

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general question).

Wombatty, Welcome! I get 21% (vs. 24%) for your second allocation mix.

Using DRAWDOWNS – Portfolio Charts with:

- The country is set to Australia (AUD)
- World equity is the first entry "World ex us"

1. 40% all world equity holding, 30% cash, 30% gold

Deepest drawdown = 13%, Longest duration = 6 years

2. 40% all world equity holding, 60% cash , 0% gold

Deepest drawdown = 21%, Longest duration = 12 years

Update: See posts below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Wombatty

Post by Wombatty » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:13 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:52 pm
This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general question).

Wombatty, Welcome! I get 21% (vs. 24%) for your second allocation mix.

Using DRAWDOWNS – Portfolio Charts with:

- The country is set to Australia (AUD)
- World equity is the first entry "World ex us"

1. 40% all world equity holding, 30% cash, 30% gold

Deepest drawdown = 13%, Longest duration = 6 years

Deepest drawdown = 21%, Longest duration = 12 years
Hi LadyGeek,

I was using World equity, first entry, but set to all - there is an easy to miss black selection box next to Total.
Anyway, this is my first post, so thought I would say hello to everyone.

And Australia even gets a mention in the old 1890's book linked to.

:D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:06 pm

You're right, I missed the checkbox. I get:

Deepest drawdown = 25%, Longest duration = 17 years

==============
FYI - The website developer is a forum member (Tyler9000). I asked him to review the website entry.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:26 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 pm
I own gold.

I own it to protect significant cash holdings from hyperinflation, not because I think gold is a good investment.
+1

I look at gold as insurance, not as an investment. From 1980 until now, gold's value has actually fallen slightly behind inflation. That being said, I keep about 3% of my net worth in silver and gold. History and current events offer what I consider to be robust evidence that precious metals can be a very effective hedge against hyperinflation and other economic issues.

Just as I don't expect my house to burn down when I buy homeowner's insurance, I don't expect to ever need my precious metals. But unlike the premiums spent on homeowner's insurance, the 'premiums' spent on physical ownership of precious metals are likely to be almost entirely recoverable at a latter date.
Helo80 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:56 pm
Looking at historical returns of gold, it's a terrible investment. While true, it has always been worth something and was recognized for its beauty and rarity since before the Egyptians, it's not something that provides practical value in today's digital world. Virtually no merchant out there will accept gold as a form of payment. Sure, some electronics and art pieces, and other stuff requires gold to make, but by in large, nearly all of us live a gold-free life. If a gold bullion brick showed up on my doorstep, how would I monetize it? (Yes, there is a market for it somewhere, but the point is, it's dang inconvenient; While gold is likely classified as a very liquid asset, it's not THAT liquid to most of us.)
Everywhere where there is much civilization, you can exchange precious metals for the local currency, which can be used to acquire whatever you want. It doesn't take long at all to make the exchange.
Helo80 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:56 pm
To me, the doomsday scenarios that TV says and how we should be investing in gold for those reasons --- I think fuel, bullets, guns, food, and other commodities would be worth more than gold. (again, because gold does not run your car, protect you, hunt food for you, make your belly full, etc.)
It doesn't have to be either/or. You can acquire precious metals and all of those other items.

You can't eat gold, but you can't eat bandages, water filters, gasoline, etc., but that doesn't make gold or any of those other items less valuable. Different tools for different purposes.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:03 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:06 pm
FYI - The website developer is a forum member (Tyler9000). I asked him to review the website entry.
I'm on it! :D

Here are the two charts for discussion purposes. Note that it's set to Australia and to All-World per Wombatty's calculations. (That setting in the bottom right is admittedly a little hard to find and I'm looking into ways to make it easier to use).

Gold is indeed very helpful for how its negative correlation to stocks can be used in a well-diversified asset allocation to minimize both the depth and length of portfolio drawdowns. For more information, there's a quick explanation for how it works in this post: https://portfoliocharts.com/2016/01/25/ ... at-a-time/
Last edited by Tyler9000 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Seasons

Post by All Seasons » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:33 pm

About 7.5% of my portfolio is in gold.

It is split roughly half and half between physical gold and digital ETFs. Physical holdings are good against the true SHTF scenario, and digital is useful for rebalancing and liquidity purposes.

Gold has served me well during several bear markets in the past! :happy
The market portfolio is always a legitimate portfolio.

ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:40 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 am
Nope. Burned badly enough with silver coin purchases. Negative gains don't interest me anymore. Dump, baby, dump.
gold mining stock replaces silver coin purchases in my case

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:17 pm

A couple of my favorite Warren Buffet Gold related posts:
“Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head.”
“The problem with commodities is that you are betting on what someone else would pay for them in six months. The commodity itself isn’t going to do anything for you….it is an entirely different game to buy a lump of something and hope that somebody else pays you more for that lump two years from now than it is to buy something that you expect to produce income for you over time.”
I consider Gold a speculation - not an investment.

All Seasons

Post by All Seasons » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:01 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:17 pm
A couple of my favorite Warren Buffet Gold related posts:
“Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head.”
“The problem with commodities is that you are betting on what someone else would pay for them in six months. The commodity itself isn’t going to do anything for you….it is an entirely different game to buy a lump of something and hope that somebody else pays you more for that lump two years from now than it is to buy something that you expect to produce income for you over time.”
I consider Gold a speculation - not an investment.
I started off my investment journey like a lot of other people -- reading a lot about Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffett.

It was only in the past couple years that I discovered the work of Ray Dalio and risk parity and started to side more and more intellectually with his approach rather than Buffett's; as such, I own some gold. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:26 pm

No, but I have thought about buying ammo since prices and availability have somewhat stabilized.

laughlinlvr

Post by laughlinlvr » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:38 pm

I haven’t seen on HGTV gold and silver bullion coins used for decorative purposes. I have been contemplating having the tile setter drill into the shower holes of the correct size so that gold and silver Eagles are displayed flush with the tile in the shower enclosure.
I think it will make an interesting talking point with houseguests and with any future purchaser when the realtor rattles off the house’s attributes.
Take that Flip or Flop.
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:39 pm

uberational44 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 am
I have been taking great interest in gold recently and gold mining companies...
Has anyone else considered this?
Some gold, yes. About 8%:
-----
Mostly physical, 1oz bullion coins.
Some in gold ETFs like IAU (iShares).
No miners. Well, I have old some old RIO and ABX but I can't wait to get rid of those shares. Those were a mistake.

You might want to check out grayfox's recent thread about buying precious metals.
Also, you can see how gold performs as part of a complete nutritious breakfast diversified portfolio at sites like portfoliocharts.com
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

Minty

Post by Minty » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:50 pm

I have 1% or less of my portfolio in collectible gold, platinum and silver coins from the mint. I regard it as a hobby where I get to own beautiful things. My "investment" has some downside protection (the coins will always be worth their metal value) and potential for modest appreciation. OTOH, as has been mentioned, although I have had some of the better coins graded and slabbed, it will still be a pain to liquidate them for their "value" compared to getting rid of an ETF or a mutual fund.
Core Four with nominal bonds and TIPS.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Tyler9000 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:03 pm
Gold is indeed very helpful for how its negative correlation to stocks can be used in a well-diversified asset allocation to minimize both the depth and length of portfolio drawdowns. For more information, there's a quick explanation for how it works in this post: https://portfoliocharts.com/2016/01/25/ ... at-a-time/
Tyler, are gold prices and stock returns actually negatively correlated or just uncorrelated? Looking at the last 14 years of data, the correlation between GLD and VTSMX is .04, which is essentially zero.

Thanks for all your work with Portfolio Charts! It's a great site.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Wombatty

Post by Wombatty » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 pm

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:25 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:56 pm
Tyler9000 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:03 pm
Tyler, are gold prices and stock returns actually negatively correlated or just uncorrelated? Looking at the last 14 years of data, the correlation between GLD and VTSMX is .04, which is essentially zero.

Thanks for all your work with Portfolio Charts! It's a great site.
Gold and stocks also have close to 0 correlation according to Bill Bernstein's piece on the Permanent Portfolio.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Wombatty wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 pm
Some actuarial thoughts on gold

http://actuary-info.blogspot.com.au/201 ... escue.html
That's an interesting read.

Historically, I don't see how anyone can really dispute that a modest allocation (e.g. 10-20%) to gold has smoothed out returns and improved retirees' safe withdrawal rates. The real question is whether it will continue to perform in the future as it has in the past.

All Seasons

Post by All Seasons » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:44 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:30 pm
Wombatty wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 pm
Some actuarial thoughts on gold

http://actuary-info.blogspot.com.au/201 ... escue.html
That's an interesting read.

Historically, I don't see how anyone can really dispute that a modest allocation (e.g. 10-20%) to gold has smoothed out returns and improved retirees' safe withdrawal rates. The real question is whether it will continue to perform in the future as it has in the past.
I feel similarly on the issue. Even if we assume that the economy will never suffer a 1920's Germany-style destruction, gold can still help boost risk-adjusted return in normal economic environments.

elgob.bogle

Post by elgob.bogle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 pm

I buy gold occasionally in the form of Strike King's Redfish Magic baits which have a single, large. gold-plated Colorado style blade. I seem to loose them occasionally to the gods of the seas, who may now be holding them in their storehouses.

elgob

grog

Post by grog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:14 pm

On the one hand, gold has a long history as a monetary metal, and as an investment it’s hard to ignore the fact that gold has been the top performing asset in the 70s and again in the 2000s.

However I have doubts about it as a prospective investment at this point. I had some IAU for a little while and dumped it within a couple weeks. Just didn’t have a good feeling about it. Yes, it is a hard asset with intrinsic value, but I see no reason why the value relative to the dollar or relative to other goods can’t fluctuate wildly from the current $1,300 an ounce for more or less mysterious reasons. The run up we saw in the 2000s didn’t seem to have a lot of fundamentals behind it; rather, it seemed to be based on frustration with the stock market bubbles coupled with political fears and a healthy dose of marketing (particularly on conservative boomer media). In other words, it seems like money flows into gold for opaque psychological reasons. Now, if this psychological response is reliable and we can count on investors consistently turning to it at the right times then gold might still have appeal. But I don’t personally have faith in it going forward.

If gold falls a lot, I might buy some coins like Gold Eagles and Krugerrands as collectibles.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:13 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:56 pm
According to my best current year-end data, the correlation of gold to US stocks since 1972 (the end of the gold standard and the longest measure we can realistically use) was -0.23. Use the inflation-adjusted returns and the correlation was -0.26. To be fair that's closer to uncorrelated than strongly negatively correlated.

In any case, I believe the heat maps demonstrate pretty clearly that gold historically responded strongly when US stocks particularly struggled. Note that it's not simply about the individual years that would feed the correlation calculation but about the compound returns as well. Also, keep in mind that correlation only measures how often two assets move in the same direction but does not account for the magnitude of the move. So just like how standard deviation is a nice simple number that people read a lot into even though it hides a lot of important information about sequence of returns, perhaps there's also more to asset relationships than correlations. You often need to look deeper than over-simplified numbers to get to the reality of the experience.

1nv35t

Post by 1nv35t » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:33 am

Tyler9000 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:13 pm
According to my best current year-end data, the correlation of gold to US stocks since 1972 (the end of the gold standard and the longest measure we can realistically use) was -0.23.
UK historic net of most common rate of taxation since 1896 indicates a -0.17 mild inverse correlation when comparing stock total return with gold, that increases to -0.19 when comparing price only. UK stock history was more aligned with global (US was a right tail emerging market across the 20th century).

Across all sequential 50 calendar yearly periods since 1896 a 2% SWR historic had all-stock showing failures whereas 75/25 stock/gold had no failures (and mildly better arithmetic and median final date outcomes than all-stock).

Even when on the gold standard gold was volatile, not a consistent preserver of wealth. Neither all-gold nor all-stock being consistently reliable. A equal barbell of the two tending to be more like a volatile bond (where rebalancing broadly tended to see the ounces of gold held expand with time). Which would approximate a 75/25 stock/gold to being broadly similar to a 50/50 stock/bond asset allocation (that historically tended to be more consistent across periods of both economic expansion and contraction).

McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:59 am

technovelist wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:03 pm
livesoft wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:44 am
Gold is pretty to look at and hold in one's hands. At least that's the only reason for owning gold concluded by all the gold bugs who participated in this very recent gold thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=233083
I think that is a slight oversimplification.

Besides those characteristics (which I agree with), gold has myriad industrial uses and has been used as money for thousands of years.
When is the last time you or anybody you know bought something with gold?

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 am

McGilicutty wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:59 am
technovelist wrote:
livesoft wrote:
Gold is pretty to look at and hold in one's hands. At least that's the only reason for owning gold concluded by all the gold bugs who participated in this very recent gold thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=233083

Besides those characteristics (which I agree with), gold has myriad industrial uses and has been used as money for thousands of years.
:idea:

JPH

Post by JPH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 am

I have never invested in gold, but I gave some gold coins as Christmas gifts this year. People seemed to like them but were a little confused about what to do with them.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 am

McGilicutty wrote:
technovelist wrote:
livesoft wrote:

A computer. Motherboards, at least at one point, had 10x more gold content than the richest ore in the world and are often recycled in order to get the gold inside.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 am

Minty wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:50 pm
I have 1% or less of my portfolio in collectible gold, platinum and silver coins from the mint. I regard it as a hobby where I get to own beautiful things. My "investment" has some downside protection (the coins will always be worth their metal value) and potential for modest appreciation. OTOH, as has been mentioned, although I have had some of the better coins graded and slabbed, it will still be a pain to liquidate them for their "value" compared to getting rid of an ETF or a mutual fund.
I'm considering buying a one oz. gold coin from the US Mint--how are they shipped? Would the USPS just leave it in my mailbox? Can I arrange to pick it up at my local Post Office? It would be difficult for me to arrange to be home to sign for it. Thanks.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 am

^^^ Coins and coin collections can be discussed in the Personal Consumer Issues forum. If a forum search doesn't answer your question, feel free to start a new thread.

1nv35t

Post by 1nv35t » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 am

McGilicutty wrote:
Such as buying some fiat paper currency using a 1oz gold coin? Or exchanging it for something else? (Over the last 120 years gold > stock total return in 40% of years, so if you rebalance your portfolio you'd have been selling gold to buy stocks with the proceeds relatively often and in so doing, if accumulating, typically over time your safe would have seen the number of ounces of gold being stored within it increase).

A better question might be if 50/50 yearly rebalanced stock/gold tends to see the ounces of gold expanded over time, was that a consequence of deflated currency based stock 'gains' or the 'trading' (rebalancing) between stocks and gold and where the tendency for gold is to preserve purchase power in a volatile manner?

I'd agree with others and a lump of gold just bought and held isn't really a investment, more just a volatile potential preserver of value. Trade gold, using even simple timing measures such as yearly rebalancing back to target weightings, and gold can yield dividends (more ounces of gold accumulated over time [longer term rate indicates 3.7% annualised more gold since 1870 (based on US data and assuming 50/50 target weightings)]).

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:09 pm

McGilicutty wrote:
That's a fair question, but I also don't remember the last time I bought anything in the States with paper euros, and those euros certainly qualify as money.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Halicar wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 am
Minty wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:50 pm
I'm considering buying a one oz. gold coin from the US Mint--how are they shipped? Would the USPS just leave it in my mailbox? Can I arrange to pick it up at my local Post Office? It would be difficult for me to arrange to be home to sign for it. Thanks.
They should not just leave it in your mailbox because it will require a signature on delivery. If you aren't home, they should leave a note telling you that you can pick it up at your post office.

Here's their policy:

"Orders with merchandise valued at $300 or more or, orders containing any precious metals will require an auto signature upon delivery."

and

"Shipments containing any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles with a standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to Expedited Shipping. If you choose expedited shipping you will be charged a fee of $17.95 regardless of if your shipment contains any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles."

(from https://catalog.usmint.gov/faqs/shipping-and-returns/, under "What’s the United States Mint Shipping Policy?")

I asked a Mint representative about "auto signature" and she said it was a typo for "adult".

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:57 pm

linenfort wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:09 pm
McGilicutty wrote:
That's a fair question, but I also don't remember the last time I bought anything in the States with paper euros, and those euros certainly qualify as money.
Yes, just not being able to buy a specific item in a particular place with a particular type of money doesn't mean it isn't money.
Last edited by technovelist on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:41 pm

As a reminder, discussion of fiat currency or government / economic policy is off-topic. See: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Please stay on-topic.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:46 pm

No, and I never will. As far as I'm concerned, there are stocks and there are bonds.

Wombatty

Post by Wombatty » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Here is a good, cold, mathematical analysis of Gold, Oil, Silver etc

https://www.youtube.com/user/belangp/videos

Personally, I consider Gold as now a commodity.
However, if holding it enables a better retirement, I will consider the option.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:22 pm

hahaha....no.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:31 pm

My brother had a friend. Every paycheck he put a few hundred bucks away and bought gold with it. Every month he did I like clock work. Around 10 years later he purchased his first house. Not sure the amounts involved but he put something like 70% down, which came from liquidating his gold stash. I was always impressed by that when I was younger.

Now if I only knew his investment horizon, the price of gold over that time, etc...

I don’t own any, but every now and then think about picking some up.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 pm

No. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:48 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:31 pm
My brother had a friend. Every paycheck he put a few hundred bucks away and bought gold with it. Every month he did I like clock work. Around 10 years later he purchased his first house. Not sure the amounts involved but he put something like 70% down, which came from liquidating his gold stash. I was always impressed by that when I was younger.

Now if I only knew his investment horizon, the price of gold over that time, etc...

If you do, make sure you don't drop it on your foot. It's very heavy! :mrgreen:

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:07 pm

I own approximately $300 worth of gold... it's in my wedding band. I don't really care to own more than that. Other commodities I also don't own include pork bellies, orange juice concentrate, and home heating oil.
Last edited by alfaspider on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:08 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:31 pm

He probably could have paid cash if he had put it in an index fund.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:12 pm

I agree with that Alfa.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:14 pm

no but it is pretty.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

invst65

Post by invst65 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 pm

I use the Golden Butterfly portfolio which is a variant of the Permanent Portfolio. It calls for 20% of holdings in gold. I have both bullion coins and ETF's.

Last I checked gold was the winner of all the 20% equal asset classes for the year (cash, LTT, SCV, Large Blend Stocks, and gold). Admittedly I don't check very often because it's a set it and forget it portfolio so with the stock run-up lately that may not end up being true at the end of the year but I still think it probably did well.