2nd million is easier!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
bubbadog

2nd million is easier!

Post by bubbadog »

I realize this post might be perceived as a humblebrag so please accept my apologies in advance. Financial milestones are not something I can really celebrate/share with family or friends.

I am 51 years old and it took me until age 47 to accumulate over 1 million in my investment accounts. It only took an additional 46 months to top 2 million in my accounts which I did today. I have always heard the saying about how the 2nd million is a lot easier. I would have never guessed it would happen so quickly. Obviously the last four years have been great and things can change very quickly for the worse.

I wanted to share with the Boglehead Community, especially those a lot younger and just starting out, that once things get going, compounding really does work its magic!

I have a simple 3 fund portfolio (65/35 stocks/bonds)
Maybe 30-35% of the second million was contributions to my accounts.

I have learned a great deal from this community and really appreciate all of the advice I have been given in the past. :sharebeer
hicabob

Re: 2nd million is easier!

Post by hicabob »

Each additional million is easier yet adds less. Averaged of course.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

May your third million be even easier! :beer
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

As a former colleague used to say:

"I'm working on my second million. The first million was too hard, so I gave up on it and went right to work on the second."
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
BlackHat

Post by BlackHat »

Charlie Munger has said to focus on getting your first 100,000 grand and then everything else will come easier.
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” -- Confucius
LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers »

Congratulations Bubbadog!
Inspirational and a testament to the BH way.

Happy Friday.
Cheer!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

bubbadog wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 pm I realize this post might be perceived as a humblebrag so please accept my apologies in advance. Financial milestones are not something I can really celebrate/share with family or friends.

I am 51 years old and it took me until age 47 to accumulate over 1 million in my investment accounts. It only took an additional 46 months to top 2 million in my accounts which I did today. I have always heard the saying about how the 2nd million is a lot easier. I would have never guessed it would happen so quickly. Obviously the last four years have been great and things can change very quickly for the worse.

I wanted to share with the Boglehead Community, especially those a lot younger and just starting out, that once things get going, compounding really does work its magic!

I have learned a great deal from this community and really appreciate all of the advice I have been given in the past. :sharebeer
While greater amounts do generally compound faster, this was mostly something entirely unique to you and not applicable to anyone else. Young people looking at a decade of near-zero real investment returns and near-zero real wage growth aren't necessarily going to be able to duplicate your experience.

The good news is that looking back years from now, that may make your accomplishment seem even more impressive.
LittleGreenSoldiers

tibbitts wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:29 pm
bubbadog wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 pm I realize this post might be perceived as a humblebrag so please accept my apologies in advance. Financial milestones are not something I can really celebrate/share with family or friends.

While greater amounts do generally compound faster, this was mostly something entirely unique to you and not applicable to anyone else. Young people looking at a decade of near-zero real investment returns and near-zero real wage growth aren't necessarily going to be able to duplicate your experience.

The good news is that looking back years from now, that may make your accomplishment seem even more impressive.
I think there's a good lesson here for younger investors. Bubbadog mentioned that his contributions were ~30%-35% of this milestone. That's in excess of $75K a year. >$300,000K! (way to go bubbadog) Saving to invest is one of the biggest components to building over your working lifetime. While time is your friend when you are young most don't(or have the wisdom to realize) have the means to save more than they do. As we get older if we learn how to be frugal and save as our earnings increase we are able to invest more. For some this might also coincide with paying off a mortgage therefore being able to contribute even for towards our investments.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Don't minimize 2000-2010. While wages weren't retarded like they seem to be now stock returns were zip. I believe they were dubbing it the lost decade. I thought I was going to have to work forever. But the lesson is to keep investing. Control what you can.
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

Happy for you. So you contributed 300-350k of new funds in last 46 months? Can’t be retirement accounts. Your income must be super high $500k- 1M a year?
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

2nd bull market million is easier.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Congratulations!

The market giveth.

I hit 1 million at 41, 2 million at 50, 3 million at 52!
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Yes,it was.
All the Best, | Joe
Lonestarz

Post by Lonestarz »

moneywise3 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 pm Happy for you. So you contributed 300-350k of new funds in last 46 months? Can’t be retirement accounts. Your income must be super high $500k- 1M a year?
Let’s say 320k over 4 years or 90k/yr. that’s doable on 250k as a couple. Think about it: $30-60k tax deferred in 401k/Ira, maybe 50k tax, so that leaves $155k after tax - 45k additional savings means living an impoverished life on only $110k a year.
Topic Author
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

moneywise3 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 pm Happy for you. So you contributed 300-350k of new funds in last 46 months? Can’t be retirement accounts. Your income must be super high $500k- 1M a year?
My employment income is not that high. It has been around 250-260k over the last 4 years.

I contribute a little over 60K/year to tax deferred accounts including my employer's match. (24K-403B, 18K-457, 6.5 wife's Roth IRA, 15K employer match)

I probably add 25-35K/year to my taxable account sporadically when I have more than I need for the near term in my checking account.

I don't have a mortgage or car payments so basic living expenses are not that great.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

Kudos on the milestone, very impressive!

Curious of what your gains within the market have been for 2017, 200 - 300k?
sambb

Post by sambb »

the first billion is the hardest
LittleGreenSoldiers

sambb wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm the first billion is the hardest
Hear, hear!
Here's to the BH 3 commas club.

If not us our heirs and those that listen.
(note: if you are young and it is 2037 please pay attention and study this forum from the beginning.)
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I wrote a post about this once. I couldn't agree more. Several factors at work- first, your first million is helping. Second, you're likely making a lot more money than when you first started saving. Third, you're paying down debt rapidly. Fourth, we've been in a big bull market.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

WCI,
You are correct on three of the four. I make slightly more than I did when I finished residency 21-22 years ago. Several years ago, I switched from full time emergency medicine to occupational health 3 days a week. I follow your site and know you are an ED doc as well. Your site is great and you do a lot to help physicians. You should be very proud!
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

I love this. I'm curious to see how long it will take us. The road from 500K to 1m was surprisingly short (about 6 yrs).
More Please

Post by More Please »

I second this!
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Congrats!

You deserve the beer and an opportunity to bask in the success of your financial plan. I definitely hear you about this being a good place to share and celebrate these kind of milestones. Not something for Facebook! :beer

Looking back, what were some of the key things you did, or didn’t do?

WoodSpinner 8-)
WoodSpinner
Topic Author
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

:happy
WoodSpinner wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 am

Congrats!

You deserve the beer and an opportunity to bask in the success of your financial plan. I definitely hear you about this being a good place to share and celebrate these kind of milestones. Not something for Facebook! :beer

Looking back, what were some of the key things you did, or didn’t do?

WoodSpinner 8-)
WoodSpinner

Nothing special:

I finished residency in 1996 with about $60,000 in student loan debt. I paid that off as quickly as I could.

The first 12 years or so years of investing seemed like I was just treading water with a big drop at the end 2008-09 (ouch!) I was basically just maxing out retirement accounts and not a lot of taxable investing in the markets.

I paid off my home and also bought farm property along the way. (Country boy at ♡ and had to do it. It is nice to own something you can see and not just numbers on a website.)

All in all, pretty basic simple stuff.

I appreciate all of the kind remarks,

Bubbadog
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

LittleGreenSoldiers wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:43 pm
sambb wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm the first billion is the hardest
Hear, hear!
Here's to the BH 3 commas club.
Thanks for the shout out.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Even in a relatively calm market, the second million will be MUCH easier. Starting with Charlie Munger's example of $100K:

To get from $100K to $1M you need to grow your nest egg by a factor of 10. To get from $1M to $2M is only a factor of 2, much easier to do.

Come to think of it, yes, the power of compounding is a Wonder of the World, but what's nice is that as time goes by less of it still gets great results!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

"The 2nd million is easier!" I heard this a long time ago.

To make it actionable, I stopped working on my first million... and started on the second. :)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

dratkinson wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:08 am "The 2nd million is easier!" I heard this a long time ago.

To make it actionable, I stopped working on my first million... and started on the second. :)
Brilliant! Has no one else thought of this? :oops:
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Congrats to the OP!
We're still climbing toward the first million
2016 my wife and I earned less than $200K and saved $65K (contributions and match in various retirement and non retirement accounts)
2017 my wife and I earned less than $250K and saved $80K (contributions and match in various retirement and non retirement accounts)

It doesn't take a super high $500K+ income, but it does take an income in the top 10% IMO.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

"Easy come, easy go"
It is not only a proverb, but also a definition of market volatility. If you made ~20%/year over the last 4 years it only means you run the risk of substantial losses.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

It's mathematically easier to earn the second million because far less compounding is needed.

If you start with $125k, you need it to double three times to reach $1M.

If you start with $1M, you only need it to double once to reach $2M.
The Sensible Steward
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

bubbadog wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:02 pm My employment income is not that high. It has been around 250-260k over the last 4 years.
Sorry to say, but your employment income is VERY high.

Even still, many folks with that income do not save 70k+ a year. That takes fortitude. Great job.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Has anyone been tracking their net worth on a spreadsheet?

For some reason, my line is linear, even though it would seem it should be somewhat exponential (like a curve). What's your line like?
CJC000

Post by CJC000 »

"It's mathematically easier to earn the second million because far less compounding is needed."

Exactly like the SR 71 Blackbird: The faster it goes, the faster it goes faster!

Well done!!
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

BlackHat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 pm Charlie Munger has said to focus on getting your first 100,000 grand and then everything else will come easier.

“100,000 grand” is one hundred thousand thousand, or one hundred million. I’m not going to focus on that, at least not in US dollars.
Topic Author
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

ryman554 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 pm
bubbadog wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:02 pm My employment income is not that high. It has been around 250-260k over the last 4 years.
Sorry to say, but your employment income is VERY high.

Even still, many folks with that income do not save 70k+ a year. That takes fortitude. Great job.
I was referring to someone who thought I must be making 500-1000K/year. My employment income is not "that" high.
Garco

Post by Garco »

The latest $1.5 million was by far the easiest. We did nothing but survive our parents, who graciously gifted most of their estate to their children.

Of course, that money really would have been handy 20 years ago when we were supporting our children's college educations.

But we're grateful to have this money and haven't gone on a spendathon or anything. We learned from our parents to be careful as well as generous with our money.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

JustinR wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:53 pm Has anyone been tracking their net worth on a spreadsheet?

For some reason, my line is linear, even though it would seem it should be somewhat exponential (like a curve). What's your line like?
That depends. If your main income driver is work, then it should grow about linearly. If it is investments, the the exponential law will show up.
All this assuming that your expenses don’t follow your net worth, in which case back to linear you go.
SimplepathtoBogle

Post by SimplepathtoBogle »

Great job and congrats. I enjoy reading these posts....for motivation and it’s nice to have somewhere to celebrate these milestones anonymously and without appearing arrogant.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Congratulations! That must feel tremendously satisfying. All your work...and now all your money working for you too!
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

JustinR wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:53 pm Has anyone been tracking their net worth on a spreadsheet?

I started doing this just before I hit $1M. I check my net worth on a monthly basis since 5/2015 and so far it's looking like a slight curve upwards. That being said, I have a very high savings rate.

Maybe with a smaller savings rate it would look like a straight line on anything except a log graph?
NYCguy

Post by NYCguy »

For me it looks something like this:

Starting in 1993:

8 years $500k - 2001
10 years $1 million - 2004
12 years $2 million - 2006
17 years $5 million - 2010
21 years $10 million - 2014
24 years $15 million - 2017

In the past 12 months I added over $2.3 million to my net worth, approximately half of which was from investment earnings and the other half from retained income.

For a kid who learned the boglehead way in his late 20s, works hard, and was afraid of going broke, I am astonished by my progression, particularly in recent years. When I consider that in the past year I accumulated in each three month period what it took me to accumulate in my first eight years working really hard, making great money and investing boglehead style, I am astonished.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.
BlackHat

Post by BlackHat »

EddyB wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:25 pm
BlackHat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 pm Charlie Munger has said to focus on getting your first 100,000 grand and then everything else will come easier.

“100,000 grand” is one hundred thousand thousand, or one hundred million. I’m not going to focus on that, at least not in US dollars.
Woops! I mean 100,000 lol :D
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” -- Confucius
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

NYCguy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 pm For me it looks something like this:

Starting in 1993:

8 years $500k - 2001

In the past 12 months I added over $2.3 million to my net worth, approximately half of which was from investment earnings and the other half from retained income.

For a kid who learned the boglehead way in his late 20s, works hard, and was afraid of going broke, I am astonished by my progression, particularly in recent years. When I consider that in the past year I accumulated in each three month period what it took me to accumulate in my first eight years working really hard, making great money and investing boglehead style, I am astonished.
What's your salary during those different time periods?
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

Starting in 1993:

8 years $500k - 2001

Very inspiring
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I hope so...

Of course 1 million isn’t what it used to be.....

When I was younger I thought if a person had 1 million they were set for life.

Now I realize that not to be the case. Oh well, I will keep plugging away.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
cp73

Post by cp73 »

I have learned by watching others and myself it is never enough!
snarlyjack

Post by snarlyjack »

Bubbadog,

Congrat's...keep it going!

As one of the young guy's at Bogleheads I would say
I' am cruzing right along. I' am investing 60% of
my income each month.

I' am 23 years old, no debt, not married, pretty frugal.
(But I don't make near as much as you).
Currently at $300,000. It's all about the 8th wonder
of the world = compounding.
NYCguy

Post by NYCguy »

JustinR wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Starting in 1993:

8 years $500k - 2001

What's your salary during those different time periods?
1993 - $80k
1997 - $135k
2001- 400k
2004 - 850k
2006 - $1.3
2010 - $1.8
2014 - $2.1
2017 - $2.9
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.
Topic Author
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

snarlyjack wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:35 am Bubbadog,

Congrat's...keep it going!

As one of the young guy's at Bogleheads I would say
I' am cruzing right along. I' am investing 60% of
my income each month.

I' am 23 years old, no debt, not married, pretty frugal.
(But I don't make near as much as you).
Currently at $300,000. It's all about the 8th wonder
of the world = compounding.
Thank you snarlyjack. It sounds like you are on well on your way.

I love the Einstein quote about compounding interest being the 8th wonder of the world.

He who understands it...earns it. He who doesn't... pays it. (very true BTW)