M1 Finance is Free

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
michael11

M1 Finance is Free

Post by michael11 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:53 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... es-to-zero

The article says they are an adviser but they let you create your own portfolio with ETFs and stocks.

I currently use M1 to automate my vanguard portfolio both taxable and IRA (30% VOO, 30% VEA, 10% VB, 10% VWO, 10% VCIT, 10% BND). I deposit $100 on Fridays into both.

I still use Robinhood for my trading. Has anybody used M1 Finance for a long time or have an opinion on their system? What other automated investing platforms do you use?

William55

Re: M1 Finance is Free

Post by William55 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:19 pm

I am using Wealthfront, Etrade and M1. M1 certainly gives me the most control as to how I build my portfolio. I like that I can choose my own stocks and ETFs. M1 is great because it give me the IRA, and Individual account offering with the ability to purchase fractional shares. I consider myself to still have a long(er) investment time horizon and M1 lets me more efficiently dollar cost average into my portfolio. Now that it is free it will certainly become my go to choice.

overthought

Post by overthought » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Interesting... does it give a way to coordinate a portfolio over multiple accounts? Or do you have to choose a separate portfolio for each account?

Edit: Also might be worth pointing out that you can transfer cash out to your bank for free, but they charge $100 per in-kind ACAT transfer to other brokerages (see fee schedule here).
Last edited by overthought on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:25 pm

“Vanguard will soon offer the first S&P ETF that instead of charging typical asset-under-management fees, will pay customers a nominal amount to subscribe,” Tyler Sosin, Principle at Menlo Ventures, said in an interview.
Huh??
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin