Cloud mining and holding bitcoin

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Lakeparty

Cloud mining and holding bitcoin

Post by Lakeparty »

Bitcoin has certainly been fun to watch. I have been really looking into cryptocurrency and converted a small portion of my portfolio to it. Just curious if anyone else has been cloud mining any crypto and what your experiences are? Trying to figure out what's the best thing to do with cryptos but for now seems like just having a small collection of some of the bigger market cap coins and holding them looks good.
randomizer

Re: Cloud mining and holding bitcoin

Post by randomizer »

Not even remotely tempted. Happy to get rich slowly, not interested in gambling.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Lots of people use the cloud to mine bitcoin, but they usually use other people’s credit cards to do it.

The amount of money you’ll make from mining is less than the GPU time will cost.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Why on earth would anyone rent time on a processor for less money than they could get for mining?
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

barnaclebob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am Why on earth would anyone rent time on a processor for less money than they could get for mining?
This is a really good point.

If you're going to invest in bitcoin, just invest in the actual coin. And if you want to mine, get a miner and MINE. But don't pay someone ELSE to mine for you. They're just going to scalp you. Why would they sell their ability to make money?

In almost ALL instances, you would have been better off (gotten more bitcoin) had you done so vs getting into a cloud mining contract. The rising difficulty that resets about every 2 weeks will murder your financial expectations.

Compare how much in bitcoin you'd have had been able to buy with fiat at the beginning of a mining contract vs how much was paid out had you gotten in, say, 3 months ago. Or 6 months ago.
rmelvey

Post by rmelvey »

I don't like the cloud mining services. A lot of them are structured like a ponzi scheme. You are usually better off just buying and holding the crypto yourself.
Watty

Post by Watty »

rmelvey wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am I don't like the cloud mining services. A lot of them are structured like a ponzi scheme. You are usually better off just buying and holding the crypto yourself.
And they may not be all that secure.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/millions-m ... 1512625176
mega317

Post by mega317 »

We should chart the number of positive threads on every asset against the price.
Veiled

Post by Veiled »

barnaclebob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am Why on earth would anyone rent time on a processor for less money than they could get for mining?
Ignorance. Wanting to get in without capital. It seems like another form of leverage...

I honestly go back and forth about this... Mining (putting a sunk cost down for a miner and building a wallet for the lifetime of the miner) seems better than exchanging my actual money for fractions of coins that will change in dollar price but not increase in my wallet. But then I'm still spending money on a physical doo-dad that might mean nothing if bitcoin drops or becomes irrelevant or finally depreciates as coins are lost.