A message from Bitcoin wallet Coinbase

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
tadamsmar

A message from Bitcoin wallet Coinbase

Post by tadamsmar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:47 pm

I just got an email from them.

"we wanted to remind customers that access to Coinbase services may become degraded or unavailable during times of significant volatility or volume. This could result in the inability to buy or sell for periods of time. Despite ongoing increases in our support capacity, our customer support response times may be delayed, especially for requests that do not involve immediate risks to customer account security."

There are more warnings that amount to "be ready to sell your stash". Make sure your 2FA still works, etc.

I had some loose change (<$10) hanging around from the slop of an earlier transaction. I just sold most of it for $100. The fee was about 20% including both sides of the transaction.

Is there a wallet that is publicly traded? The companies raking up the transaction fees must be making a bundle.

fatlever

Re: A message from Bitcoin wallet Coinbase

Post by fatlever » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:48 pm

If you have a Coinbase account, you should be selling/exchanging it on GDAX which is their exchange. GDax fees are at most .25%. You can also use Gemini (Windlevoss twins) same fee. Bitflyer the Japanese exchange is also coming to the US; it already has but you can't do ACH transfers. It appears trades will be free with them for some period.