National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Bogleheads:

Today is the 76th anniversary when the Japanese made a surprise attack on Hawaii which killed 2,403 U.S. Citizens and badly damaged our Pacific Fleet. The attack sank four U.S. battleships and damaged four others (fortunately our aircraft carriers were at sea), President Franklin D. Roosevelt called it "A date that will live in infamy." The U.S. declared war on Japan and Germany a few days later. A war which eventually killed over sixty-million people.

World War II Casualties

We must never forget . .

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Didymograptus

Re: National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

Post by Didymograptus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Thank you for posting this Taylor.

We must never forget, nor shall we.
The best things in life aren't things

mws13

Post by mws13 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 pm

#GoNavyBeatArmy

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Excerpts from President Franklin Roosevelt's speech to Congress on December 8th, 1941 declaring war on the Empire of Japan.

Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.
It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.
Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.
A fool and his money are good for business.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi Taylor -

Thank you for the thread and link. We must never forget our past and the lessons of the great world war.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Taylor -

1) First of all, Remember Pearl Harbor, always!

2) Some historical nitpicking: USA declared war on Japan on 12/8. Hitler, although he was not obligated to by the Tri-Partite Pact, declared war on the US on 12/11. Next to invading Russia, this declaration was one of the dumber decisions of his life. US then declared war on Germany immediately.

Regards,
Free
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Mr. Benedictine

Post by Mr. Benedictine » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Thank you Taylor! My dad fought in the Navy in WWII and this day brings back memories of him. Thank you Taylor as well for your sacrifice and for your service to our country! 🇺🇸

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 pm

God Bless all of our Veterans from all the wars. Thank you for your sacrifice.

My wifes father and her 3 uncles all fought in WW2 in both theaters. Her Daddy was in the 101st from Normandy until the end of the war. They all made it home.

16-Dec will be the anniversary for the start of the Battle of the Bulge on 16-Dec-44. We always remember that date also, and many others with a raised glass to toast the veterans.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Thanks Taylor.
My dad happened to be on his day off from working at the Pearl Harbor shipyard that day.
j :D

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:02 pm

I'm an American living in Japan for 25 years, and it's been fun bringing my kids to all the places they need to see as part of their heritage. Pearl Harbor, the Intrepid in New York, the Iowa in Los Angeles, Hiroshima, Arlington.

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks Mr.Larimore for remembering. My dad was there. A welder in sub repair shops. Saw way too much for a young man. My hero! As was all of his generation.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 what do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

victorb

Post by victorb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 am

My Father was a POW in a German Camp near Fuerstenberg, Prussia for 829 days(2 years - 4 months). He survived and lived to 92 years old. He was the best father in the world and I am so thankful for him. He always told us Freedom isn't free.
Thank You Mr. Larimore for the posting and making sure we remember.

patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 am

Thank you for posting. We must remember, and also must ensure that the younger generation understands the significance as well.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 am

Always remember.

Epsilon Delta

A DATE that will live in infamy.

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:11 pm

It's trivia, but it's bugging me so:

Lincoln did not say "Eighty Seven years ago ... "

Roosevelt did not say "A day that will live in infamy. ..."

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Epsilon Delta:

I am happy to correct my Roosevelt quotation from "a day that will live in infamy" to "a date that will live in infamy. Thank you.

I actually heard President Roosevelt's speech on the radio while I was in my room at Riverside Military Academy in Georgia. It was especially ominous for me, a 12th grade senior, because I knew it probably meant I would soon be drafted into the military -- which is what happened (I subsequently volunteered for the paratroopers).

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:55 pm
Bogleheads:

Today is the 76th anniversary when the Japanese made a surprise attack on Hawaii which killed 2,403 U.S. Citizens and badly damaged our Pacific Fleet. The attack sank four U.S. battleships and damaged four others (fortunately our aircraft carriers were at sea), President Franklin D. Roosevelt called it "A day that will live in infamy." The U.S. declared war on Japan and Germany a few days later. A war which eventually killed over sixty-million people.

World War II Casualties

We must never forget . .

Best wishes.
Taylor
Nor will we. My next door neighbor went down to the Navy recruiting station with his mother and enlisted. He was 15 years of age. Because of his age, they placed him in the merchant marine, sailing on ships in the North Atlantic, ferrying supplies from and to the mainland. Their only armament were two deck guns. Were they scared?, heck yes, and still they went. God Bless them all.......
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:54 pm
I actually heard President Roosevelt's speech on the radio while I was in my room at Riverside Military Academy in Georgia. It was especially ominous for me, a 12th grade senior, because I knew it probably meant I would soon be drafted into the military -- which is what happened (I subsequently volunteered for the paratroopers).

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thank you for sharing your personal history on this event Taylor. It's interesting how I've heard that 9/11 is my generation's version of Pearl Harbor, but nobody in my generation had to contemplate the possibility of being drafted.

Kathleen Ryan
Location: CA, Co-Administrator FB Bogleheads, Local Chapter 9-SF/Bay Area Coordinator

Post by Kathleen Ryan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Thank you Taylor,

for posting this. I've been to the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and it's a solemn, quiet, and respectful place to honor our brave soldiers
that remain forever entombed there, in their battleship. As a visitor, you have the chance to view the historic film, with the actual footage of
what transpired. Not many people left there with dry eyes. Then you see the list of names of the brave soldiers who perished on December 7,
1941. As you stand there, you can look over the side of the monument and see the U.S.S. Arizona beneath you. I was born many years after this happened, and I won't ever forget what I've read in the history books, and seen on film.

Again, thank you for your post.

With best wishes for you forever,

Kathleen

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Thank you for posting, Taylor and for your part in ending WW2.

My father was with Patton and lived to come home.

Interestingly, my boss when I was in the USAF (1969) enlisted in the Navy in WW2 when he was 12 y/o (1942). He was assigned to an AA gun on a ship and fought in several campaigns until they booted him out for being underage. He joined the [then] brand new USAF in 1947 and tried unsuccessfully to get credit for the 1+ year he was in the Navy.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect