Did Capital One 360 Savings raise rates?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Engineer250

Did Capital One 360 Savings raise rates?

Post by Engineer250 »

If I go to Capital One's website it says the rate for their regular 360 savings is 1%. However if I go to my account and click details it still says 0.75%. Anyone know if they just increased rates? Maybe it will take a day or two to show 1% on my account or maybe I am misreading something.

Money market rates appear unchanged (0.60% for < $10k and 1.30% for > $10k).
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.
Ice-9

Re: Did Capital One 360 Savings raise rates?

Post by Ice-9 »

Just as you described, I see 1% on their website before logging in, and then the old 0.75% in the details. However, if I then click on "View Current Terms & Conditions" from the details, I get a page that includes:
Capital One 360 wrote:Rate Information - The Interest Rate on your account is 0.9954% with an Annual Percentage Yield of 1.00%.
I suspect the rate only recently changed and the number listed in Details just needs to be updated.
Chip

Post by Chip »

It figures. I just pulled everything out of Cap One 360 for something higher yielding. :oops:

I guess I can put it back - the account is still open.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I am still showing 0.75% for 360 accounts and 1.3% for MM.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

When I log into my account and click the "Transactions" tab, it shows "Current APY: 1.00%."

It must have only just changed, though, as my November statement shows 0.75%, and for October (November's too complicated) it shows "Monthly Interest Paid: $6.36" on a balance of $10,026.61, which works out to... 0.74% APY.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

APYs are variable and effective 12/7/2017.
https://www.capitalone.com/bank/savings ... /#id_rates

The accounts will probably update when their computer system does their overnight maintenance.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Also, I see that it is saying that my Capital One 360 Money Market is now earning 1.30%, think it just changed from 1%.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Abe

Post by Abe »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm Also, I see that it is saying that my Capital One 360 Money Market is now earning 1.30%, think it just changed from 1%.
Yes, my Capital One 360 Money Market is showing the same 1.30%. It was paying 1% previously. My online savings account is still showing .75%.
Slow and steady wins the race.
KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 »

I can't comment on the 360 Savings, but the online Capital One Money Market has increased from 1% to 1.3% over the past few months... increasing by increments of 0.1% on three different occasions.
Avid reader of personal finance/investing literature; however, no formal training in this area. My comments are always well-intended, and most often well-informed.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

KeepItSimple78 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm I can't comment on the 360 Savings, but the online Capital One Money Market has increased from 1% to 1.3% over the past few months... increasing by increments of 0.1% on three different occasions.
Yup ... :greedy
viewtopic.php?t=222084
viewtopic.php?t=226888#p3516288
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm Also, I see that it is saying that my Capital One 360 Money Market is now earning 1.30%, think it just changed from 1%.
Hi Nisi - there was an early thread on MM rates at Capital One: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222084.

PS: Those who don't have an MM account yet at Capital One, but have another Capital One 360 account, can open one without going though a credit check (topic discussed in the above thread as well).
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I have about $20,000 in my Capital One 360 savings account so is there an easy way to convert a savings account to a money market account? As long as it doesn't take up about $60 worth of my time, I'll come out ahead.
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

fizxman wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm I have about $20,000 in my Capital One 360 savings account so is there an easy way to convert a savings account to a money market account? As long as it doesn't take up about $60 worth of my time, I'll come out ahead.
Hi fizxman - see my three posts at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222084#p3591407
Basically you can add an MM account without any fees or too much hassle and get the better MM rate.
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

CollegePrudens wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 pm
fizxman wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm I have about $20,000 in my Capital One 360 savings account so is there an easy way to convert a savings account to a money market account? As long as it doesn't take up about $60 worth of my time, I'll come out ahead.
Hi fizxman - see my three posts at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222084#p3591407
Basically you can add an MM account without any fees or too much hassle and get the better MM rate.
Sweet, thanks.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I did this a few months ago. I barely remember it, so it couldn't have been very hard at all. Create the money market account. It shows up when you log in as just another account in the list. Then transfer your funds.

I think I had to wait a day for Capital One to verify the new account before I could move the money.

And now that I log in, I see Capital One has now done...what...their 4th website change since buying ING? Isn't that just great? I no longer see where you go to create a new account.

Time to dig through and see what other new things they've made harder to do, aside from switching from a multi-column layout to an oversized single column with giant, ugly billboard buttons, so I can limit my 24" monitor to being as useful as a smartphone screen. It also looks like they no longer show when interest rate changes took effect in the transaction history.

Who was the genius who thought, "You know what users would like? Diplaying account balances in 50 pixel tall letters, so if they check their account while at work or in other public places, everybody within 15 feet can read it."
/rant
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm It also looks like they no longer show when interest rate changes took effect in the transaction history.

Who was the genius who thought, "You know what users would like? Diplaying account balances in 50 pixel tall letters, so if they check their account while at work or in other public places, everybody within 15 feet can read it."
/rant
I agree I was frustrated to see interest rate changes don't show up in transactions anymore and agree the new format is pretty awful. Luckily I just park money there and only sometimes add or remove so only a mild frustration.

I couldn't figure out how to open a money market while logged into my savings but if you go to their regular page on the money market and click the open an account button it will ask you if you are already a member and can sign in. I finally was going to have the $10k needed to get the higher rate, right when they raise rates on the regular savings. Oh well.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Why does anyone NOT use their Money Market account if it has a higher interest? What is the downside?
James2

Post by James2 »

The only downside I am aware of is that every time I call them to ask, they tell me the MM and 360 accounts don’t support trusts. So if you want to have it in a living trust, they can’t help. Yet.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I can confirm that opening a Capital One 360 money market account and moving money from my Capital One 360 savings account to the money market account was easy and painless. Took all of 5 minutes.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

flyingaway wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 am Why does anyone NOT use their Money Market account if it has a higher interest? What is the downside?
$10,000 minimum.
CABob

Post by CABob »

James2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 am The only downside I am aware of is that every time I call them to ask, they tell me the MM and 360 accounts don’t support trusts. So if you want to have it in a living trust, they can’t help. Yet.
I'm not sure that is correct. I have a 360 savings account that I changed to be in the name of my trust. I'm not sure about the MM account since I don't have one. I got a bit confused when I talked to them about converting the savings to a MM account although they assured me that opening a new MM account would be a simple process.
There is a note on the website that reads:
If you’d like to change the account ownership or trust name on your trust account, please call 1-888-464-0727 and one of our Associates will help you out.
although I think I made my change online.
Bob
Topic Author
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

fizxman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm I can confirm that opening a Capital One 360 money market account and moving money from my Capital One 360 savings account to the money market account was easy and painless. Took all of 5 minutes.
I have a dumb question because I am about to do this. Did you leave any money behind in your regular savings account when you did this? Did you see any reason to? I believe there is no minimum so it made sense to me to move everything to the MM but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.
nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 pm
flyingaway wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 am Why does anyone NOT use their Money Market account if it has a higher interest? What is the downside?
$10,000 minimum.
This! Some of us finally amassed that much in our emergency savings accounts for the first time! (I have been great at saving for retirement just not so great at keeping my emergency fund topped off).
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Engineer250 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 pm
fizxman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm I can confirm that opening a Capital One 360 money market account and moving money from my Capital One 360 savings account to the money market account was easy and painless. Took all of 5 minutes.
I have a dumb question because I am about to do this. Did you leave any money behind in your regular savings account when you did this? Did you see any reason to? I believe there is no minimum so it made sense to me to move everything to the MM but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.
nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 pm
$10,000 minimum.
This! Some of us finally amassed that much in our emergency savings accounts for the first time! (I have been great at saving for retirement just not so great at keeping my emergency fund topped off).
After I opened the money market account, I moved the integer part (thousands) of my money from the savings account to the money market account. I am wondering if I still need to keep the savings account.
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

Engineer250 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 pm I have a dumb question because I am about to do this. Did you leave any money behind in your regular savings account when you did this? Did you see any reason to? I believe there is no minimum so it made sense to me to move everything to the MM but I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.
I left a very small amount in Savings in case I need that account in the future. Interest rates and Capital One 360's policies will change over time. And my account balance at Capital One 360 will also fluctuate. So, I thought it best to retain flexibility by having savings in addition to MM (and checking).
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

James2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 am The only downside I am aware of is that every time I call them to ask, they tell me the MM and 360 accounts don’t support trusts. So if you want to have it in a living trust, they can’t help. Yet.
I had called Capital One 360 regarding Trusts a few weeks ago. They do not support trusts for new accounts. They are aware that many customers are interested in holding accounts in the name of a revocable living trust, but they don't have a timeline for when they would support trusts (yet).
CABob wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 pm I'm not sure that is correct. I have a 360 savings account that I changed to be in the name of my trust. I'm not sure about the MM account since I don't have one. I got a bit confused when I talked to them about converting the savings to a MM account although they assured me that opening a new MM account would be a simple process.
Trust accounts were supported by ING and retitling an account in the name of a trust was a simple online process. Post acquisition (by Capital One), accounts already in the name of a trust are grandfathered in (as per the Capital One rep I spoke to). However new accounts, including new MM accounts, do not support Trusts (yet).
CABob

Post by CABob »

CollegePrudens wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:24 am
I had called Capital One 360 regarding Trusts a few weeks ago. They do not support trusts for new accounts. They are aware that many customers are interested in holding accounts in the name of a revocable living trust, but they don't have a timeline for when they would support trusts (yet).
CABob wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 pm I'm not sure that is correct. I have a 360 savings account that I changed to be in the name of my trust. I'm not sure about the MM account since I don't have one. I got a bit confused when I talked to them about converting the savings to a MM account although they assured me that opening a new MM account would be a simple process.
Trust accounts were supported by ING and retitling an account in the name of a trust was a simple online process. Post acquisition (by Capital One), accounts already in the name of a trust are grandfathered in (as per the Capital One rep I spoke to). However new accounts, including new MM accounts, do not support Trusts (yet).
Thanks CollegeP. Your explanation and history makes the apparent discrepancy between various posters more clear. While I would like to get the MM account for the higher interest rate I'm not sure I am willing to give up the trust ownership.
I hope someone remembers this conversation because I am sure the question will come up again in the future.
Bob
Topic Author
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

flyingaway wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:39 pm After I opened the money market account, I moved the integer part (thousands) of my money from the savings account to the money market account. I am wondering if I still need to keep the savings account.
CollegePrudens wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:19 am I left a very small amount in Savings in case I need that account in the future. Interest rates and Capital One 360's policies will change over time. And my account balance at Capital One 360 will also fluctuate. So, I thought it best to retain flexibility by having savings in addition to MM (and checking).
Thanks for the answers. I think I will do something similar and leave behind a very small amount just in case.

Just checked today and the "details" tab does reflect the new 1.00% interest rate. Hoping the MM will go up a little too near future.
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

CABob wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:05 pm Thanks CollegeP. Your explanation and history makes the apparent discrepancy between various posters more clear. While I would like to get the MM account for the higher interest rate I'm not sure I am willing to give up the trust ownership.
I hope someone remembers this conversation because I am sure the question will come up again in the future.
Happy to help CABob.

I am somewhat like you in this regard - my preference was to have the MM account in the name of the trust. I worked around this by making my spouse (who is the other trustee of our revocable living trust) a joint account holder on the MM account. The joint-account process was all online and quite smooth. While this is not the perfect solution, for me it was good enough.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

Engineer250 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:02 pm
flyingaway wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:39 pm After I opened the money market account, I moved the integer part (thousands) of my money from the savings account to the money market account. I am wondering if I still need to keep the savings account.
CollegePrudens wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:19 am I left a very small amount in Savings in case I need that account in the future. Interest rates and Capital One 360's policies will change over time. And my account balance at Capital One 360 will also fluctuate. So, I thought it best to retain flexibility by having savings in addition to MM (and checking).
Thanks for the answers. I think I will do something similar and leave behind a very small amount just in case.

Just checked today and the "details" tab does reflect the new 1.00% interest rate. Hoping the MM will go up a little too near future.
I pretty much did the same thing. I left a few hundred dollars in the account more out of nostalgia than anything else. I opened this account in 2004 maybe when it was still ING. This was my first online savings account.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Just FYI, my wife and I have had our 360 accounts since the ING days. We keep most of our cash in the Money Market account now, but often leave the other 360 accounts empty for months or years at a time. No problem. We primarily keep one joint 360 account to transfer money back and forth to each other instantaneously.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

Do you ever make small deposits or withdrawals from the account? I've been thinking it might be a good idea after seeing something about inactive accounts causing negative marks on ones chexsystems report. No clue how long it would have to be idle for that to happen though...
CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens »

Longtermgrowth wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 am Do you ever make small deposits or withdrawals from the account? I've been thinking it might be a good idea after seeing something about inactive accounts causing negative marks on ones chexsystems report. No clue how long it would have to be idle for that to happen though...
In the past, when I had only a checking and a savings account (under a single account profile) with Capital One 360, I have left the savings account untouched for multiple months (~12 months if memory serves). During this time there were regular transactions in the checking account. I received no notices/warnings from Capital One 360 to close my savings.

Future Capital One policies can change of-course. But judging from past history, Capital One does not seem to worry too much about accounts with no transactions (at least as long as there are transactions in other accounts under the same account profile).