Firstrade, Comission Free Vanguard & Ishare ETFs

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
coincollector

Firstrade, Comission Free Vanguard & Ishare ETFs

Post by coincollector »

I know with the upheaval in commission free ETFs at TD Ameritrade many are considering alternatives. I've never been a customer of Firstrade, or even know much about them but they do have a few commission free ETFs from Vanguard:

BLV - Vanguard Long Term Bond ETF
BIV - Vanguard Intermediate Term Bond ETF
BSV - Vanguard Short Term Bond ETF
VIG - Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF
VBK - Vanguard Small Cap Growth ETF
VWO - Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets ETF
IWV - iShares Russell 3000 ETF
IVV - iShares Core S&P 500 ETF
IJH - iShares Core S&P MidCap ETF
IYW - iShares U.S. Technology ETF
FXI - iShares China Large-Cap ETF
DBC - PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund

The list is short and definitely has some odd choices but I do believe they are now the last place you can go for commission free Vanguard ETFs outside of VBS. Well, besides Robinhood, but all ETFs are commission free there.
MrPotatoHead

Re: Firstrade, Comission Free Vanguard & Ishare ETFs

Post by MrPotatoHead »

I believe they charge $50 to close an account. They also are fee nazis. My e-mail bounced back to them and they automatically switched me to paper statements and charged me fee for it. There never was anything wrong with my e-mail other than they had a delivery issue that no one else had.
Topic Author
coincollector

Post by coincollector »

MrPotatoHead wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 am I believe they charge $50 to close an account. They also are fee nazis. My e-mail bounced back to them and they automatically switched me to paper statements and charged me fee for it. There never was anything wrong with my e-mail other than they had a delivery issue that no one else had.
It always seems there are catches and with them being one of the cheapest brokers I've seen for trades, $2.95, I figured there would be several. I hate being hit with constant fees but sadly it seems like this is common with financial businesses. Thank you for the information.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Firstrade has a decent promotion going for lower-level accounts:

https://www.firstrade.com/landing/en-us/branding1/

I don't care about transfer-out fees, as someone else pays them for me, one way or another.

Right now, you'd do better at Merrill Edge if you have 50k+ as their expanded bonus offer is running but if you are thinking of going with FirstTrade you want to look into the bonus.

As always, for more information about bonuses, check out The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses.
naha66

Post by naha66 »

They also allow expats to open accounts, as a Scottrade account holder who Knows what Ameritrade will do. It gives me a option if ameritrade closes my accounts.