Why is Vanguard sending so much junk mail telling me to vote in the proxy election?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
tc101

Why is Vanguard sending so much junk mail telling me to vote in the proxy election?

Post by tc101 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Why is Vanguard sending so much junk mail telling me to vote in the proxy election? Why is this so important? Did you vote? If so how did you vote?

I don't want to vote. It seems like that should be my own decision. I sent them an email asking them to stop sending me voting requests but they refused. It is not a big deal but I am kind of annoyed.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

bytendog

Re: Why is Vanguard sending so much junk mail telling me to vote in the proxy election?

Post by bytendog » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:27 pm

I had to block the phone number, they were calling so much. I don't understand why my $10K of VSS is such an important voting block.

acanthurus

Re: Why is Vanguard sending so much junk mail telling me to vote in the proxy election?

Post by acanthurus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

bkweathe

Post by bkweathe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:36 pm

1. Because if not enough people vote, they'll have to do it all over again (legal requirement). Next time, it will be even harder to motivate people to vote, so they'll have to spend even more money & be even more annoying. This will drive our costs up & chase investors away.
2. I voted.
3. I'd rather not say how I voted.
4. Please vote. It only takes a few minutes.

Brad

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:38 pm

The numbers are too low to meet requirements so they are bumping up efforts to get more folks to vote.
Please vote so that our expense-ratios don't go up as a result of all the cost they are pouring in :)
You can vote YES, NO, or ABSTAIN as I remember - so if you want to ABSTAIN - you can do so while getting your vote in to meet their requirements.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:41 pm

I voted and they still keep sending me stuff in the mail.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 pm

I voted (8 different accounts) and they stopped bothering me.

I voted NO on everything. I'll do the same thing at the polls tomorrow.
Last edited by KlingKlang on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 pm

I voted on first contact and have not heard from them about the issue since.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:37 pm

bkweathe wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:36 pm
1. Because if not enough people vote, they'll have to do it all over again (legal requirement). Next time, it will be even harder to motivate people to vote, so they'll have to spend even more money & be even more annoying. This will drive our costs up & chase investors away.
2. I voted.
3. I'd rather not say how I voted.
4. Please vote. It only takes a few minutes.

Brad
+1

I voted.

We all should vote, if for nothing else, just to keep costs down.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:25 pm

I got a letter twice for the same fund. I went to my brokerage account, found links through there as I didn't quite trust the mail, and voted for that fund as well as two others I didn't receive mail about.

It takes no time to do online, and has to save on mail expenses the faster we all vote. Certainly can do nothing but help the funds' expense ratio, right? Well, maybe not if everyone votes the opposite of what Vanguard recommends...

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Is this happening with all the fund companies? It is getting more than a bit irritating. I thought I turned off all mail. We don't answer the phone but I don't like the idea of getting mail from Vanguard.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

hale2

Post by hale2 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:55 pm

bytendog wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:27 pm
I had to block the phone number, they were calling so much. I don't understand why my $10K of VSS is such an important voting block.
I also blocked the number and they started calling from a different number. I have never been barraged by proxy voting from other institutions or companies like this.

muredhawk235

Post by muredhawk235 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 pm

They called me twice today asking for my wife. She doesn't even have Vanguard shares in any of her accounts, I am the one that has them. I am not even sure how they got her name yet don't have her number.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Somehow they aren't bugging me, except when I log in, to remind me to vote. Just did so. Maybe I misunderstood, but one question seems to say (as someone else here implies also) that the index funds can choose to not be index funds if something passes. No thanks.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:39 pm

IlliniDave wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:41 pm
I voted and they still keep sending me stuff in the mail.
Logging in and the CONSTANT pop up to vote is super irritating- agreed. No snail mail on voting though.
Last edited by F150HD on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:41 pm

tc101 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:22 pm
Why is Vanguard sending so much junk mail telling me to vote in the proxy election? Why is this so important? Did you vote? If so how did you vote?

I don't want to vote. It seems like that should be my own decision. I sent them an email asking them to stop sending me voting requests but they refused. It is not a big deal but I am kind of annoyed.
Initially I started going through a bunch of questions to 'vote' but there were some I just didn't feel qualified to answer (some time ago, can't recall what it asked specifically), so, I clicked out of the survey.

it is getting irritating though at every login.

clown

Post by clown » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:45 pm

I wonder whether there is an SEC rule that imposes a strict duty contact shareholders -- no ifs, ands or buts. That would be regardless of the shareholder's expressed desire not to be contacted. You certainly have the right to abstain. Maybe somebody with SEC knowledge will chime in.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm

I wondered the same thing; why such a push on this? I received countless mailings (maybe 10-12), more reminders than I can remember as I logged onto my accounts over the past month, a voicemail from a women from VG, and then two voicemails from Bill McNabb.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

They know how many people have already voted. Therefore, they know they do not have enough votes yet. It has been 8 years since Vanguard held a wide shareholder vote.

From a September story:
The most difficult part will be getting a quorum of shares to pass the measures. The voting will include 195 funds and the Pennsylvania-based company needs investors representing a third of the value of each of those funds to cast ballots.
Retail investors tend to avoid voting in corporate elections and Vanguard is best known for its passive funds, where shareholders effectively "set it and forget it."
If Vanguard does not garner enough votes it likely would have to hold one or more follow-up events for funds that missed quorum, creating an administrative headache and extra expense.
To avoid that, Vanguard is leaving nothing to chance. The company is spending $17.6 million to drum up votes by mail, phone and electronically, according to its notice for the meeting.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm

I voted and they are still pestering me to vote! Nuts....
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm
Maybe. I voted seven cards and thought I was done. I get another notice. Went online and there was one proxy number that I had apparently missed. That was over a month ago and I have not heard anything since.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:16 pm

I voted online and did not get any paper mail on this.

cookymonster

Post by cookymonster » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:23 pm

I have just tossed these in the recycler but assuming they're business reply I can send them back next time. I don't see a way to vote online through E*Trade, Scottrade, or Merrill Edge.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Voted online. Took less time than reading this thread :shock:

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:35 pm

cookymonster wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:23 pm
I have just tossed these in the recycler but assuming they're business reply I can send them back next time. I don't see a way to vote online through E*Trade, Scottrade, or Merrill Edge.
I voted through Merrill Edge. They send you e-mails with instructions on how to vote your proxy.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:36 pm

I voted the first time I got the voting mailer. Then they kept bugging me by phone and more mailers. So finally I gave up and voted on-line. :annoyed
Illegitimi non carborundum.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:40 pm

They sent two batches of notifications. I voted the first batch (two ballots, one taxable and one Roth IRA), then more emails came about a week later. I thought it was a duplicate and ignored it. Then I got about 20 phone calls and went back into the website to find I needed to vote two more ballots for both the taxable and IRA accounts. Phone calls stopped after I completed all 4 ballots.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Quorum requirements. Be glad that Vanguard is bugging you.
Our US Constitution requires a legislative quorum. Do you Wonder why? :annoyed
Ymmv :confused
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm
Voted online. Took less time than reading this thread :shock:
Same here. The things people will complain about....

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 pm

I removed a post providing an opinion on Vanguard's Proposal #7 (human rights), along with several replies. Discussions regarding the proposals themselves are off-topic due to their contentious nature, see this post: Re: "Vanguard fund shareholders encouraged to vote as proxy campaign gets under way."

(This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (news).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

digarei

Post by digarei » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm
You get to vote twice!
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:51 am

Just vote and get it over with. They stop bothering after you vote a couple of times :).

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:05 am

runner26 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 pm
I voted on first contact and have not heard from them about the issue since.
ditto
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

SGM

Post by SGM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 am

I don't recall ever receiving proxies from Vanguard before. I have strong opinions about owning all of the market and keeping costs low so I voted early and voted often. Voting early and voting often was the motto of an alderman I knew in Chicago. :D

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 am

Nate79 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:51 am
Just vote and get it over with. They stop bothering after you vote a couple of times :).
Just like living in Chicago back in the day! :)
Don't do something. Just stand there!

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 am

My wife and I voted all of our accounts right at the beginning, including my 401(k) shares in Mid-Cap Value Index Admiral, and I haven't heard a peep from Vanguard. No phone calls. No additional emails. No annoying pop-ups when I log in.

Just vote, so they don't have to do this again. (I imagine with so many shares in 401(k) plans, it is hard to get a quorum.)

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 am

IlliniDave wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 am
Just like living in Chicago back in the day!
Boston: "Vote often and early for James Michael Curley.'
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

wfromm

Post by wfromm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:11 am

The pop up is really annoying when one logs on to their account at Vanguard.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:46 am

I guess at this point that if you can logon to your Vanguard account page and a "vote" popup doesn't appear you have voted enough?

kramer

Post by kramer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks to the comments for those who had voted ... when I logged in I voted, it was simple, just took about one minute total.

Investment101

Post by Investment101 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Checked my mail and noticed the voting mail, but it's too late to vote as I am a little late.

Was it pretty important? We are voting for a new fund manager right. and what are the results should we pay attention to thsoe.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Investment101 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:40 pm
Checked my mail and noticed the voting mail, but it's too late to vote as I am a little late.

Was it pretty important? We are voting for a new fund manager right. and what are the results should we pay attention to thsoe.
All of the funds received enough votes for a quorum. All recommended Vanguard board members were elected. All Vanguard fund proposals were approved. The one (political) non-Vanguard proposal was rejected.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:19 pm

It is always tough to get people to vote and getting passive investors, which is Vanguard's typical customer, to vote is probably harder so they are going all out.

CZjc1330

Post by CZjc1330 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:24 pm

I voted No on all my accounts -- that stopped them
Really a bad deal for investors --Vote No.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:46 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 pm
Investment101 wrote:

All of the funds received enough votes for a quorum. All recommended Vanguard board members were elected. All Vanguard fund proposals were approved. The one (political) non-Vanguard proposal was rejected.
Good how often do they typically hold votes? Hoping I won't have to deal with it for a while.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:28 pm

i was wondering what the outcome of the proxy vote was. While it may not be final, preliminary results seem to be found here:

https://about.vanguard.com/proxy/Summary.pdf

https://about.vanguard.com/proxy/Vangua ... ustees.pdf

https://about.vanguard.com/proxy/
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Investment101

Post by Investment101 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:57 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Investment101 wrote:

great thanks for the reply. sounds like it was a success.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:15 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:28 pm
i was wondering what the outcome of the proxy vote was. While it may not be final, preliminary results seem to be found here:

So what does this mean for us Boglehead-type investors? This SOUNDS like the outcome will be in our interest. Yes? No?

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:15 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:28 pm

So what does this mean for us Boglehead-type investors? This SOUNDS like the outcome will be in our interest. Yes? No?
For Boglehead-type investors, the entire proxy vote was pretty much a non-issue, except that we wanted enough votes cast so that they didn't have to spend money running it again.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Investment101 wrote:

:sharebeer Excellent news! That means Vanguard can continue running index funds! That political proposal would have been the thin end of the wedge. We dodged a bullet there.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.