Bogleheads philosophy invades the NFL

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
noco-hawkeye

Bogleheads philosophy invades the NFL

Post by noco-hawkeye »

I found this article very interesting:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/03/nfls-jo ... money.html
His salary was as high as $600,000 in 2016, but you wouldn't know it from his lifestyle: The offensive lineman, who drives a used Nissan Versa that he bought for $9,000, chose to live on less than $25,000 a year.

That means Urschel was living off of just 4 percent of his salary in 2016. In other words, he was saving about 96 percent of what he made.
Traveler

Re: Bogleheads philosophy invades the NFL

Post by Traveler »

He had to have at least paid some taxes. That said, this is one professional athlete that will not go bankrupt when he retires or can no longer play football. Much respect and best wishes to him.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Great quote from the linked article:

"Is a car that costs $30,000 really going to make you that much happier than a car that costs $20,000? Or would you be happier saving that money so you can one day be financially free?"

That I think encapsulates the thinking of many mature investors. The ability to be disciplined on the end result and NOT be persuaded to change course during the journey. To be honest, I am sure he had a MUCH harder time then any of us have ever had. Think about being in a world folks blow through thousands a NIGHT with no care about the future. Takes A LOT Of self confidence.

Good for him. No surprise he is an MIT grad going back to get his postdoc. Heck, if he had just done that he would have made A LOT more then 1.8mill over 3 years just by going the Wall Street/ Hedge Fund route.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I posted an article similar to this in the past and it got locked.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 »

lostdog wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:40 am I posted an article similar to this in the past and it got locked.
Why did it get locked?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am
lostdog wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:40 am I posted an article similar to this in the past and it got locked.
Why did it get locked?
Not actionable.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

ebrasmus21 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am
Why did it get locked?
Because it's in a Personal forum, but not about you. These always get locked soon. I think if you searched NFL you'd find those past ones.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (investing).

This thread has run its course and is locked (celebrity). As a reminder, see: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
While this is investing related, it's not personally actionable. Past experience has shown similar threads will soon devolve into contentious disagreements.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.