Scottrade and TD Ameritrade

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
SlowMovingInvestor

Scottrade and TD Ameritrade

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm curious if anyone has any personal experiences with changes as a result of the Scottrade takeover by TDAM. There are a whole set of generic changes discussed on the Scottrade transition pages, and they say that accounts will be transitioned between Jan-March 2018.

Are there any concrete changes that Scottrade users have seen so far ? For instance, being informed that a particular Scottrade branch is being shut, or being given a new TDAM contact person to replace a Scottrade person ? I also wonder if Scottrade offices can access TDAM backend systems now (I got a message from someone in the Scottrade office which may imply that). From their web pages, this should not happen till Jan, but I was wondering if someone had seen some early changes.

CABob

Re: Scottrade and TD Ameritrade

Post by CABob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:55 pm

I have a Scottrade account and have not seen or heard of any changes so far. I am waiting to see if any of the changes make me want me to change brokers.
Bob

gostars

Post by gostars » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:01 pm

I got a mailed notification that my branch is closing and a phone call from someone to tell me about the change. Doesn't really affect me since I've never been to the branch, and I had moved after setting up the account and the new branch is much closer to me than the old one. I'm planning to switch brokers anyway to get a transfer bonus and better perks, so all I'm concerned with is that the changeover doesn't affect my ability to transfer out.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:34 pm

gostars wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:01 pm
I got a mailed notification that my branch is closing and a phone call from someone to tell me about the change. Doesn't really affect me since I've never been to the branch, and I had moved after setting up the account and the new branch is much closer to me than the old one. I'm planning to switch brokers anyway to get a transfer bonus and better perks, so all I'm concerned with is that the changeover doesn't affect my ability to transfer out.
Thanks. I don't really use the Scottrade branch either, but I do like the people there and I hope they get transferred to the TDAM office purely for personal reasons.

When it comes to back end stuff, I do hope that TDAM keeps the Morningstar analyst reports of mutual funds and ETFs that Scottrade provides currently. Even if I don't agree with Morningstar's star ratings, their discussion on MFs and ETFs is interesting to read.

CABob

Post by CABob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Since I have had Scottrade account I have been assigned to 4 or more branch offices, only one of which I have visited. Existing TDA offices are a ways away so I don't expect to be reassigned as part of this merger, but who knows.
Bob

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:46 pm

I was told they cannot retroactively remove fees from my old trades. In the past Scottrade can do that. However they did give me 70 new free trades.

student

Post by student » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 pm

I know some people took advantage of TDA offers and moved money from Scottrade to TDA for transfer bonus.