Why A NFL Football Player Drives A 26 Year Old Car

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
snarlyjack

Why A NFL Football Player Drives A 26 Year Old Car

Post by snarlyjack » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 am

Why a NFL Football player drives a 26 year old car that he
bought for $2.00 interesting story that I thought you might enjoy...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/make-th ... spartandhp

lernd

Re: Why A NFL Football Player Drives A 26 Year Old Car

Post by lernd » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 am

He's smart for a couple reasons. First, he's not deluded into thinking some of those bonuses (leading the league in rushing?) will likely be earned - he's not counting his money before he's earned it. Second, he realizes that the average career length in the NFL is only a few years. That 5.5 million dollar contract, after taxes is more like say 3 million, and he might not be getting another contract after that.

On the flip side, Antoine Walker, an NBA player (one of my favorites as a kid) made something like 90+ million dollars in his NBA career and recently filed for bankruptcy. When I say he was one of my favorites, I mean as an NBA player, not as a bogle-head :D

ValueInvestor99

Post by ValueInvestor99 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:05 am

If he drove a Subaru Legacy, he would have 1/4 th the chance of dying from an accident.

bovineplane

Post by bovineplane » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:10 am

IIRC his grandmother sold him the car. When he played for the Redskins and the story was published Mazda rebuilt the car for him for free. The 5.5 million is not his first contract as he played with the Redskins for a few years.

His total earnings to date minus endorsement money is closer to $7 million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowbo ... -earnings/

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 am

Though he seems like the type that would continue to drive it otherwise, we shouldn't delude ourselves. After Mazda did (free, I assume) a full frame-off restoration, it isn't exactly a 26-year-old car anymore--at least not in terms of the concept those words summon in our heads.

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 am

Great story, and motivates me to keep driving that old Accord.

With the high percentage of players that are bankrupt within 5 years of leaving the league, it would be nice if the league required a minimum portion of all player salaries to be annuitized (30%?).

Slothmeister

Post by Slothmeister » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:57 am

I can't believe he's still driving that old thing. I forgot that Mazda overhauled it and made it, more or less, brand new again.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:51 pm

This comment for sake of discussion:

The difference between his $2 car (rebuild or not) and some 100k thing that he could be driving matters much less than what he's doing with the rest of his money. That 7 million in earnings, if prorated over the 30 years many of us will be working, is still well over 200k/year. A 100k car, while not wise, will not put a 200k earner in the poor house.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Interesting story, but it's going to be locked, so

IN BEFORE THE LOCK :)
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:12 pm

bovineplane wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:10 am
IIRC his grandmother sold him the car. When he played for the Redskins and the story was published Mazda rebuilt the car for him for free. The 5.5 million is not his first contract as he played with the Redskins for a few years.

His total earnings to date minus endorsement money is closer to $7 million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowbo ... -earnings/
That article says he bought the car from his pastor, and Kirk Cousins bought his conversion van from grandma.
Important to get the facts straight before the lock. :D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Now that the facts are straight, this thread has run its course and is locked (celebrity). See: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
This thread is locked on past experience that the discussion will devolve into contentious disagreement.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.