Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Just a heads up.

Taylor and I just signed the contract for Taylor's new book - The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three Fund Portfolio and returned it to Wiley, our publisher.

I helped edit the book and wrote a chapter on the history of the Bogleheads, but it's Taylor's book about his favorite topic - the three fund portfolio.

I signed the contract as the President of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy because Taylor is donating the royalties from the new book to the Center. (Thanks, Taylor!)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
1210sda

Re: Taylor's New Book: The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by 1210sda »

This is good news, Mel.

Any idea how long it'll take until it hits the "bookshelves"?

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

This is great — I’m looking forward to reading the book.

Thank you, Taylor!
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Great to hear. Looking forward to reading it soon!
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I am looking for a smart investing book to give each of my executive staff members (Dir, and VPs). They have all been promoted within the last 3-4 years and are all making money nearly 2X what they were 4 years ago. I don't want to give them advice, but I would love to give them a book on smart investing.

Would this be a good suggestion? Something better to start with?
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 pm Just a heads up.

Taylor and I just signed the contract for Taylor's new book - The Bogleheads' Guide to The Three Fund Portfolio and returned it to Wiley, our publisher.

I helped edit the book and wrote a chapter on the history of the Bogleheads, but it's Taylor's book about his favorite topic - the three fund portfolio.

I signed the contract as the President of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy because Taylor is donating the royalties from the new book to the Center. (Thanks, Taylor!)
Wonderful news.

Please let us know when it hits the bookstore shelves!
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

How can I get a signed copy????
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
matjen

Post by matjen »

Congratulations Taylor and Mel!!!
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Congratulations - I look forward to reading it!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Congratulations and thank you - pleased to know Taylor is still so engaged with the community. Let us know when the book is available.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

:sharebeer
Congratulations!
How soon on Amazon "pre order"??? :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

davidkw wrote: How can I get a signed copy????
Just take a nice vacation to South Florida and we'll rally the troops for a wonderful South Florida local Bogleheads chapter meeting where Taylor holds court, gives investing advice and sailing advice, treats us all to sandwiches and cookies, and like Jack Bogle, Taylor is not shy about his investing opinions :happy He will be delighted to autograph your books.

South Florida Local Chapter
TD2626

Post by TD2626 »

Thank you to Taylor and Mel for working on this book - and for arranging to have the proceeds go to support a worthy cause.

Taylor's Three-Fund portfolio has a lot going for it: very low cost, simple, efficient, and broadly diversified. Although there've been a lot of articles and threads devoted to it, it's high time that this portfolio got its very own book!

I think that the simplicity of this portfolio is stunning. Some would argue that such a simple portfolio represents ignorance of more complex options. But this isn't the case: Taylor knows investing deeply. This isn't a portfolio of someone who's never heard of REITs, small-cap tilting, or dividend funds. It's instead the portfolio of someone who has the rare insight to realize the value of simplicity.

I feel this portfolio is simple because of the high standards that this portfolio has for inclusion of an investment into it. It's sort of like the legal difference between the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard and the "preponderance of evidence" standard. It's very hard to prove, ahead of time, beyond a "reasonable doubt", that (insert latest strategy here) would likely outperform over many decades. Maybe some could argue that if you lower it to a "preponderance of the evidence" standard, things like small cap and value may have higher expected returns - but the preponderance of evidence standard isn't high enough for this portfolio.

As someone who probably does things in way too complex a fashion, I admire the clear-mindedness of the authors, with their insight to see the majesty of simplicity. I feel it would be turning my back on everything I've learned from reading this forum about all the active, balanced, tilted, and slice and dice options available to have a portfolio of anything less than a dozen or so funds - but I recognize that I (or my computer*) will eventually capitulate and recognize the need to simplify. So I probably need to read this book. Let us know when it's released.

Anyway, back to trying to simulate how the Global Wellesley fund might behave in the future.
*I've run enough Monte Carlo simulations on my computer that at some point, its bound to wear out!
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 pm Just a heads up.

Good to know there is another Boglehead's book coming out. The other two were great and I am sure this will be a great addition to a financial library. Good to see Taylor adding to his accomplishments at age 93 as an author. He is building quite a legacy as King of the Bogleheads and a contributing author to all three Boglehead books. Thanks Taylor. Who wrote the forward to the book?
A fool and his money are good for business.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

I can't think of a more important Boglehead topic than the three-fund or a better person to write a book about it than Taylor. Even better, with editing and a chapter by Mel. Congratulations!
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Who wrote the forward to the book?
Nedsaid:

Jack Bogle, our mentor and my hero, wrote a beautiful and lengthy "Introduction."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 pm
Who wrote the forward to the book?
Nedsaid:

Jack Bogle, our mentor and my hero, wrote a beautiful and lengthy "Introduction."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Wow. What an honor. Sort of like getting Willie Mays to sign your baseball glove. How cool is that?
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Thank you Mel and Taylor for your incredible contribution to this forum and congratulations on the new book!
chw

Post by chw »

Congrats Taylor and Mel- 2 of the good guys of financial education. Looking forward to its release.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

:thumbsup
All the Best, | Joe
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Awesome, can’t wait to add it to my library. :beer
denovo

Post by denovo »

davidkw wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm How can I get a signed copy????
Buy a copy and fly to Florida. :happy
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Awesome news!! Can't wait!!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
GreatOdinsRaven

Post by GreatOdinsRaven »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:37 pm
davidkw wrote: How can I get a signed copy????
Just take a nice vacation to South Florida and we'll rally the troops for a wonderful South Florida local Bogleheads chapter meeting where Taylor holds court, gives investing advice and sailing advice, treats us all to sandwiches and cookies, and like Jack Bogle, Taylor is not shy about his investing opinions :happy He will be delighted to autograph your books.

South Florida Local Chapter
We're in!
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I'm a slice and dicer, but I can't wait to read it!

Congrats!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

denovo wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 pm
Buy a copy and fly to Florida. :happy
And if you live in the northern part of the country, do it in the winter and enjoy a Florida sunshine escape while you're at it.
newcollegeman

Post by newcollegeman »

Wonderful!

When will the book be published? Ready to pre-order now!

Duncan
Taylor Larimore

newcollegeman wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:28 am Wonderful!

When will the book be published? Ready to pre-order now!

Duncan
Duncan:

It is too early to know when the book will be published by Wiley & Sons. There is much to be done: editing, copy improvement, cover design, attorney approvals, etc..

We were hoping to have the book published for the Christmas book-buying season, but I think it unlikely. You can be sure we will make an announcement.

Thank you for your interest.

Best wishes
Taylor
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

nedsaid wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:56 pm Good to see Taylor adding to his accomplishments at age 93 as an author. He is building quite a legacy as King of the Bogleheads and a contributing author to all three Boglehead books. Thanks Taylor. Who wrote the forward to the book?
This is a great point, Ned!

For me, Taylor is always a wonderful, ageless Taylor. But as you point out, he is also a role model for writing at the age of 93, and beyond.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I hope Taylor will come to the Bogleheads Conference in 2018 and sign it for me in person.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:23 am
nedsaid wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:56 pm Good to see Taylor adding to his accomplishments at age 93 as an author. He is building quite a legacy as King of the Bogleheads and a contributing author to all three Boglehead books. Thanks Taylor. Who wrote the forward to the book?
This is a great point, Ned!

For me, Taylor is always a wonderful, ageless Taylor. But as you point out, he is also a role model for writing at the age of 93, and beyond.

Victoria
Well, certainly Taylor is a big inspiration. I think he still sails. It is also worth pointing out that he has also overcome some big health challenges and he still writes and posts and reigns over the Bogleheads.
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

This sounds like it's going to be a great book. I have been intrigued by the Three-Fund Portfolio for a long time and try to move my own portfolio in that direction whenever it makes sense. I look forward to reading a more detailed reasoning behind the approach.

This analogy cracked me up:
nedsaid wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:09 pm
Wow. What an honor. Sort of like getting Willie Mays to sign your baseball glove. How cool is that?
:D
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:25 am
I hope Taylor will come to the Bogleheads Conference in 2018 and sign it for me in person.

Victoria
Hi Victoria:

To get Taylor to attend the 2018 Bogleheads Conference, I may have to drive down to Miami, kidnap him, tie him up and throw him in the trunk for the drive to Philly.

While Taylor will take a round-the-world cruse that starts and ends in Miami (he's done a number of those), he whines like a big baby when you mention other forms of travel. :)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: To get Taylor to attend the 2018 Bogleheads Conference, I may have to drive down to Miami, kidnap him, tie him up and throw him in the trunk for the drive to Philly.
Good idea :D The entire Miami swat team is available to help 8-)
Taylor Larimore

20 Benefits

DartThrower wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:49 pm This sounds like it's going to be a great book. I have been intrigued by the Three-Fund Portfolio for a long time and try to move my own portfolio in that direction whenever it makes sense. I look forward to reading a more detailed reasoning behind the approach.
DartThrower:

I have done additional research on total market index funds. I think you will be surprised to learn at least "20 Benefits" of the three fund approach. You can read many of the benefits HERE.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

awesome, can't wait to read it.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Victoria
Hi Victoria:

To get Taylor to attend the 2018 Bogleheads Conference, I may have to drive down to Miami, kidnap him, tie him up and throw him in the trunk for the drive to Philly.

While Taylor will take a round-the-world cruse that starts and ends in Miami (he's done a number of those), he whines like a big baby when you mention other forms of travel. :)
Hopefully he is using something a bit larger than a sail boat. :wink:
Taylor Larimore

Hopefully he is using something a bit larger than a sail boat.
Nedsaid:

I once did a transatlantic crossing in a 40 foot sailboat. Piece of cake. :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
book lover

Post by book lover »

Congratulations and thank you for helping to improve financial literacy on many fronts.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:26 pm
Hopefully he is using something a bit larger than a sail boat.
Nedsaid:

I once did a transatlantic crossing in a 40 foot sailboat. Piece of cake. :wink:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Well, that is impressive. You are a better sailor than we knew, it is well known that you teach sailing but transatlantic is really something. But I guess surviving being a paratrooper and the Battle of the Bulge makes everything else look easy.

Your life story does remind me a bit of my Great Uncle Sid Bright, don't think he saw combat but did witness the sinking of the USS Memphis from his ship the USS Castine in 1916. He had visited the Memphis by motor launch and got back to his ship as the seas were starting to get real rough. The Castine narrowly escaped being sunk by fierce waves itself. Marines onshore watched the whole incident in horror. He edited the Rocks and Sholls Newsletter for the Memphis survivors until age and poor eyesight forced him to stop. He enjoyed a long career in the Navy included running offices in Washington D.C. during WWII and retired after the war. He knew a lot of famous people including Ned Beach, author of Run Silent, Run Deep and General Mark Clark. He had quite the life and passed away about 1978. He came out to our part of the country twice while I was still in high school and got the chance to know him. He wrote a family book about his family and his life, completing the project a year or two before his death. In fact, his two trips out here were so that my Grandmother, his niece, could help him with finishing the book.

I hope you have done something similar for your family as my Great Uncle Sid Bright did. Your life story should be written down and saved for your family members and close friends.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:51 pm To get Taylor to attend the 2018 Bogleheads Conference, I may have to drive down to Miami, kidnap him, tie him up and throw him in the trunk for the drive to Philly.

Why not simply charter a boat to take him up to Philly and back? :wink:
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Victoria
Hi Victoria:

Hi Mel,

This is doable. We have an excellent Bogleheads Marine team to carry the operation: you, Mel Turner (TOM), and Rick Ferri! Miriam2 and I could provide a woman's touch, if that would help.

Victoria
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: To get Taylor to attend the 2018 Bogleheads Conference, I may have to drive down to Miami, kidnap him, tie him up and throw him in the trunk for the drive to Philly.

22twain wrote: Why not simply charter a boat to take him up to Philly and back? :wink:
VictoriaF wrote: Hi Mel,
This is doable. We have an excellent Bogleheads Marine team to carry the operation: you, Mel Turner (TOM), and Rick Ferri! Miriam2 and I could provide a woman's touch, if that would help.
Victoria
The Miami Team will provide Taylor with a large comfortable sailboat with a mainsail, jib and tiller- he does not do motors - hoist it onto the sturdiest trailer we can find, hitch it to my trusty Chevy "Like a Rock" Suburban - and transport Taylor in the glorious splendor befitting the King of the Bogleheads up I-95 to Philly, stopping every so often at Cracker Barrels for sustenance and water 8-)

Victoria, could you tape your stand-up comedy routines so Taylor has something enlightening to watch while enroute? :D
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

Sounds like a wonderful addition to the Boglehead's Guide books.
I'll be waiting for the Kindle edition.
Still would love to see a follow-up to the Retirement Planning guide, giving insights to living/spending DURING retirement. And who better than Taylor to write it?
Thanks guys, keep up the good work.
Taylor Larimore

ndchamp wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm Sounds like a wonderful addition to the Boglehead's Guide books.
Still would love to see a follow-up to the Retirement Planning guide, giving insights to living/spending DURING retirement. And who better than Taylor to write it?
ndchamp:

I appreciate your compliment, but take another look at your "Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning" --especially Part III: "Managing Your Retirement Accounts."

Best wishes.
Taylor
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Well done guys, well done. I'm super impressed to see you both working hard when many people are on the golf course or in a lounger chair.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 pm
ndchamp wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm Sounds like a wonderful addition to the Boglehead's Guide books.
ndchamp:

I appreciate your compliment, but take another look at your "Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning" --especially Part III: "Managing Your Retirement Accounts."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,
True enough, but being retired and in my late 70's I would love to see a great deal more on managing my retirement then just the accounts.
Thanks again.
Nelson
lutok

Post by lutok »

Great news! Having read Taylor's 2012 post again and again, I finally adopted it. :oops: I'll certainly look forward to the new book.

Lucky
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Great news! With apologies to Roy Scheider, I think I'm going to need a bigger bookshelf.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Definitely a topic worthy of an "official" book, and this is about as official as it gets.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!