Revised Version The Little Book of Common Sense...

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
tomd37

Revised Version The Little Book of Common Sense...

Post by tomd37 »

According to an email just received from Amazon the release of the revised version of The Little Book of Common Sense Investing..... is delayed another month.
Tom D.
Fallible

Re: Revised Version The Little Book of Common Sense...

Post by Fallible »

I also pre-ordered and received the notice and think that just means it will be better than ever. :-) Actually, I'm just glad it will still arrive in plenty of time for Christmas as one of the two I ordered will be a gift.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

tomd37 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:20 pm According to an email just received from Amazon the release of the revised version of The Little Book of Common Sense Investing..... is delayed another month.
Bogleheads:

Some things are worth waiting for, and I have absolutely no doubt that Mr. Bogle's updated "Little Book of Common Sense Investing" will be one of them."

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Just received email update from Amazon yesterday. Estimated delivery date is now October 25th.
Tom D.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

tomd37 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:08 am Just received email update from Amazon yesterday. Estimated delivery date is now October 25th.
Also just got the Amazon email update and mine says estimated delivery date Oct. 27-Oct. 30 with standard shipping.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
zwzhang

Post by zwzhang »

I got the email from Amazon.ca the book will be shipped on Oct. 23. I am in Canada.
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Ordered revised version from Indigo along with Millionaire Teacher Second Edition. Both due Oct 23rd with free delivery.
Taylor Larimore

Bogleheads:

Amazon intends to ship Jack's book to me on the 25th.

I can hardly wait. We loved his first edition. I intend to extract valuable quotes and add them to my

Investment Gems.

Best wishes.
Taylor
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

:oops: no wonder my returns were so low this year. I accidentally read The Little Book of Common Scents

Think I'll put out this Yankee Candle that smells like apple pie and hit the library today.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
jazman12

Post by jazman12 »

:o :o :o :o :o
Act soon... time is running out
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Thanks for the notification. This is the book changed it all for me.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Stryker wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 pm Ordered revised version from Indigo along with Millionaire Teacher Second Edition. Both due Oct 23rd with free delivery.
Received my copy (early) in the mail just a few minutes ago. The old 2007 issue I used to get from the library occasionally. Now finally I have the 10th anniversary edition.

Many thanks, for the heads up.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Also received the notice and confirmed that I will wait however long it takes. Any way to get a signed copy? :)
GreatOdinsRaven

Post by GreatOdinsRaven »

Ricola wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm Also received the notice and confirmed that I will wait however long it takes. Any way to get a signed copy? :)
Attend Bogleheads 2018. They had copies of the new version for us to purchase this year ($10) and Jack was gracious-enough to sign them.
"The greatest enemies of the equity investor are expenses and emotions." -John C. Bogle, Little Book of Common Sense Investing. | | "Winter is coming." Lord Eddard Stark.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

GreatOdinsRaven wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:29 pm
Ricola wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm Also received the notice and confirmed that I will wait however long it takes. Any way to get a signed copy? :)
Attend Bogleheads 2018. They had copies of the new version for us to purchase this year ($10) and Jack was gracious-enough to sign them.
And the conference is a great way to get Jack's autograph - in person. That's how I got my books signed in 2012, plus a photo of the signing now on my wall at home.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Wow - what a super keepsake from the conference! I wish they sold signed copies through Amazon.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

Trying to find the sources for John Bogle's latest quotes in the 10th anniversary edition on his website but not having much luck.

Only found for the 2007 edition.

http://johncbogle.com/wordpress/the-little-book/

Perhaps I just overlooked it. Anyone see anything else on there for the 2017 book?
Taylor Larimore

Stryker wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 am Trying to find the sources for John Bogle's latest quotes in the 10th anniversary edition on his website but not having much luck.

Only found for the 2007 edition.

http://johncbogle.com/wordpress/the-little-book/

Perhaps I just overlooked it. Anyone see anything else on there for the 2017 book?
Stryker:

I was unable to attend the convention and I have not yet received Jack's book from Amazon.

When it arrives, I will read the book, extract the most valuable quotes, and include them HERE

Best wishes.
Taylor
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Fallible wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 pm
And the conference is a great way to get Jack's autograph - in person. That's how I got my books signed in 2012, plus a photo of the signing now on my wall at home.
That's how I got mine. But I think it was 5th in line when I realized I had left my phone on the ballroom table :(
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
Taylor Larimore

dougger5:

I'll bet your phone was on the table when you returned?

Best wishes.
Taylor
Ron Scott

Little Book 2017 Edition [of Common Sense Investing]

Post by Ron Scott »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Just got it (amazing that we get deliveries on Sundays now...).

I read an older version and get the gist but I thought it would be cool to own the latest hardcover. Bargain on Amazon!
Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Little Book 2017 Edition [of Common Sense Investing]

Post by LadyGeek »

I retitled the thread, as I assume you meant The Little Book of Common Sense Investing, 10th anniversary edition, released October 16, 2017.

They were available at the Bogleheads Conference for $10. I got mine autographed by Jack Bogle. 8-)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Taylor Larimore

"Investment Gems"

Bogleheads:

I was unable to attend the Boglehead Conference and buy my $10.00, 2nd edition of "Common Sense on Mutual Funds." However, today I received an e-mail from Amazon saying that my eagerly anticipated book will arrive in the mail tomorrow!

As soon as Jack's book arrives, I intend to take many of its most valuable quotes and add them to my collection of Investment Gems

Best wishes.
Taylor
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Ron Scott's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Book was delivered this morning (Sunday) via USPS.
Tom D.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

The Little Book of Common Sense Investing - Updated

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads -

I noticed on Amazon.com that Jack Bogle's investment classic 'The Little Book of Common Sense Investing" has been updated for a 10th anniversary edition.

If you are planning to order a copy, please do not forget to use the amazon link on the Bogleheads webpage!

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged abuss368's thread into here.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I received a copy of the book today. Looking forward to reading.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Amazon says mine shipped and was to arrive on 25th, but failed to deliver...now saying it must have gotten lost in shipment :oops: Had to re-order, no charge though.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Received my copy a few days ago. I'm a few chapters in. So far, nothing new, but it's good to review the basics once in a while. Looking forward to the asset allocation and retirement investing chapters.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm Bogleheads:

Amazon intends to ship Jack's book to me on the 25th.

I can hardly wait. We loved his first edition. I intend to extract valuable quotes and add them to my

Investment Gems.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thank you Taylor. I will just wait for your gems.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Taylor Larimore

Stemikger:

Don't wait. Mr. Bogle's latest "Gems" are HERE.

Best wishes.
Taylor