How does everyone keep track of your portfolio?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
roks321

Re: How does everyone keep track of your portfolio?

Post by roks321 »

From my tech experience, I would like to caution using online(cloud) tools like mint or personal capital. Once hacked, all you data is visible to the hacker.
While cumbersome, tracking via excel or software on your computer may be better. Also, dont tie your bank accounts to any software.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Since the majority of my $$ is with Vanguard I use their site. The have a nice feature where you can include outside investments in your account that are not under the Vanguard umbrella. It's simple and works well. Every so often I have to manually update the outside investments but it's not a big deal and takes less than 10 minutes.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

trueson1 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm... What I don't like about PC is that if keeps your cash separate from investments for overall portfolio...
FYI, Personal Capital now has a checkbox, in the account "Edit" mode, where you can designate Bank Accounts (cash, CD's, etc.) to be included in your overall investment portfolio, for your total asset allocation and other reports.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

www.stockrover.com deserves some mention.

Plenty of customizable views and a free account. Either
manual or hooked up to broker accounts. Can sort major
indexes with the free account. Data information appears
to be current.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I use Quicken and also have my portfolios on Morningstar. I also keep a tabbed spreadsheet and create a new tab for each calendar year. This way, I can see my progress from year to year.
A fool and his money are good for business.
gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome »

Gekko, is there a module for daily change in stock price? The other module worked great.
------------
(gekko) wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:45 am
Newone88 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 pm I created an excel spreadsheet with all of my fund/portfolio information. This includes the account (taxable, Roth, 401K, 403b etc), ticker, fund name, unit price, basis, amount, and expense ratio. Because I have several accounts, this has been really helpful for me to look at everything on one page.

The main problem is I manually entered in all the info. I logged into Fidelity, typed out all the info into excel and then moved onto the next account (Vanguard, then Schwab etc). So now I have to manually update the amounts and prices.

Or is there a way to make this easier, or even automated? I looked at google finance portfolio option, but it looks like this will be unavailable after November this year. I could also add accounts from other sites into my Fidelity account, but often this won't include ER, or other important info, or it won't link at all.

I don't know excel very well, but am trying to learn as much as I can.

I want to keep it as simple as I can be. You have MS Excel so you can use this. Follow those steps and you will be able to get Stock prices automatically.

1. Create a new Excel book, press F12 key and "Save as type" Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook. Write the file name...
2. With the last book open, press the keys "Alt" + "F11" it will open Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications
3. In the new window that was opened in the previous point, do:
a. Right Clic in VBAProject(filename.xlsm) navigate through the menu to "Insert" --> "Module"
4. Write in the module (copy and paste):
'-----------------
Option Explicit

Sub reCalculate()
With ActiveSheet
.EnableCalculation = False
.EnableCalculation = True
.Calculate
End With
MsgBox "Done!"
End Sub

Function getLastDate(TickerName As String) As Date
Dim lastDate As String, a() As String, b() As String

lastDate = Application.WebService("download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" & TickerName & "&f=d1t1")

If InStr(lastDate, "N/A") <> 0 Then
getLastDate = "October 29, 1929"
Exit Function
End If

a() = Split(lastDate, vbLf)
b() = Split(a(0), ",")
getLastDate = CDate(Replace(b(0) & " " & b(1), """", ""))

End Function

Function getLastPrice(TickerName As String) As Double
Dim CurrentPrice As String

CurrentPrice = Application.WebService("download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" & TickerName & "&f=l1")

If InStr(CurrentPrice, "N/A") <> 0 Then
CurrentPrice = 0
End If

getLastPrice = Application.NumberValue(CurrentPrice)

End Function
'-----------------
5. Save and close the Visual Basic window
6. Now in the current book you can use two formulas getLastPrice and getLastDate as you usually do in Excel...
a. getLastPrice("AAPL") - will give you the last price. It should be a cell Currency
b. getLastDate ("AAPL") - will give you the last date of the transaction. It should be a cell Date
7. If you ever want to force the download of the price and date you should press "Alt" + "F8" you will see Macro window pick the macro "reCalculate" and press button "Run". It will download new data updating this Sheet. I takes the data from finance.yahoo.com. It works very well for US Stocks Funds and ETFs.

I hope it helps,

(Geeko)
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I use Excel to keep track and input data once a year for future RMDs, otherwise I don't have a deep need to know my balance for anything. I just spend money. If it's under 4% SWR, then it's great, if not then it's too bad. But seriously, I've spent less than 2% so that's why I don't worry.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

FootballFan5548 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:21 pm
Meg77 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm I track my asset allocation using Personal Capital, and I track my account balances and net worth with Excel.

I do the same. My only complaint (very minor and nitpicking) with Personal Capital is the "Alternatives" allocation. I wish they would just show stocks/bonds/cash. The alternatives throws me for a loop, because some of my equity indexes may have REITS or things like that, and then you end up adding in Alternatives to Equity. Even the international bond/international stock is more detail than I'd like.

I wish there was an option for straight up total Equity/Bond/Cash. Would be easier and cleaner.
Agree. The "Alternatives" category messes up the overall allocation calculation for me anyway. Having said that, I do find the software useful... so far.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Anybody changing the way they keep track of their portfolio now that a new year (2018) has begun?
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Google Docs is still pretty good.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
cfs

Post by cfs »

"Anybody changing the way they keep track of their portfolio now that a new year (2018) has begun?"

Well, I have a new tab on my excel spreadsheet for 2018. I have a simple excel spreadsheet (dating back to 1999, for prior years I still have my investments notebook handy). What I want to know is the difference of my balance from year to year. I have a tab for every year, I start a new tab after the close of market on December 31st. I keep track of overall portfolio "growth" (the growth will include what I have contributed during the year), if my balance today is higher than my balance on December 31st of last year then things are looking good. Retirement life is goooooood. Thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
beth65

Post by beth65 »

Personal Capital for overall financial analysis/views and YNAB for budgeting. I’ve become obsessed with the live-budgeting that YNAB offers, and knowing exactly how much I have spent to date on every category.
NYCwriter

Post by NYCwriter »

I use Personal Capital's free app (OS X and IOS). It's great. There is a built-in nag feature, but I haven't gotten phone calls.

They've beefed up their cash/budgeting tools but I don't use it for that -- I don't want to be checking my portfolio too often, although it does offer an easy way to determine whether I'm spending more or less each month.

It's great for me since I have a combination of assets (core taxable portfolio, individual equities at Fidelity, inherited IRA, Roth, 403b, 457b and pension). It does graphs (broad allocation, sector based on holdings within funds and/or individual equities) pretty well, so I can easily check for rebalancing. Since I'm shoveling money into retirement at this point, it's also a nice motivational tool to see my total assets increase over time :)

I tried Fidelity full view but it's clunky and there doesn't seem to be a way to aggregate easily.
NYCwriter

Post by NYCwriter »

I agree that the alternatives category in PC is weird. It seems geared toward gold, etc but including REITs makes less sense. It may be a philosophical choice. Some portfolios (Swenson) have an REIT fund as part of the 70%. it's easy enough to just calculate this as part of equities, however.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

I've used www.sigfig.com, what's time doing so because of privacy concerns.

I use Excel now.

Yet another big advantage of having a simple portfolio - easier tracking.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

I love spreadsheets! I actually wish I could take a class in them to get beyond my very rudimentary knowledge of excel....

So I have a monthly portfolio spreadsheet that I update -- cash, real estate, vehicles and retirement accounts. But I keep it very simple. It's an overall glance at our net worth. I also have another spreadsheet which tracks our retirement/mutual funds and its percentages to make sure our asset allocation is on track.

And then I have a forecasting spreadsheet for our retirement funds based on how much we might contribute per year and a 5% return. Plus a spreadsheet which tracks what we have contributed, what our employers have contributed, as well as the current value of our retirement funds. I have several more spreadsheets, but I think those are the most important (to me).

A better knowledge of spreadsheets would probably allow me to simplify this process, but it is not a huge problem for me (usually).
SGM

Post by SGM »

I use spreadsheets and add a new column for each year. It calculates the percentage and total gains automatically. I have used new pages for specific issues like taxes, growth graphs, income sources, and planning. I like to look at yearly totals regardless of withdrawals or additions in retirement. Lately the daily swings are eye popping.

Today I will be using the spreadsheet in a meeting with an adult child and bring him up to date on the state of affairs.
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

herpfinance wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 am Good old Excel spreadsheet.
+1
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Nothing. I have a 401K where I own two funds (Vanguard Institutional Index and Blackrock Total U.S. Bond Index), so I simply just logon to their site.

I have a smaller TIRA with Vanguard where I own the Balanced Index Fund.

I have an emergency fund in a passbook savings account at my local bank.

No mortgage, no debt.

When I retire it all goes into one fund (the "Vanguard Balanced Index Fund").

What do I need software for?
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:30 pm Bogleheads:

My three funds are with Vanguard.

I check my asset-allocation and balances once or twice a year (for fraud, error and activity) on the Vanguard website and also when I receive my annual statement.

Vanguard website and statements provide much more information than I can possibly use.

That's it :happy

Best wishes.
Taylor
Investing doesn't get any better!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
bgf

Post by bgf »

same as last year... just google sheets to keep track of IRR, dividends, benchmark performance, etc.

portfolio could be flat for the rest of the year and with dividends i'd still clear 6%!
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

VAslim16 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:31 am
+1
+1
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

I use a spreadsheet and manually update it by logging into the accounts, from top to bottom. I keep all the Vanguard funds in the same order as the website to make it faster. Including the logging on, I can update the 'Value' column within 5 minutes. I update the date column at the same time. Everything else is calculated.

I'm kinda proud of the spreadsheet design and always looking for things I can add easily to it. :happy

herpfinance

Post by herpfinance »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:40 am
VAslim16 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:31 am
+1
+1
+1 :D

I don't keep historical records, although sometimes I wonder if I should. The spreadsheet is mostly useful for helping me keeping track of my asset allocation.
"The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists" - Benjamin Graham
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

herpfinance wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 amI don't keep historical records, although sometimes I wonder if I should. The spreadsheet is mostly useful for helping me keeping track of my asset allocation.
While I keep copies of all the monthly statements (in .PDF form on the computer), I never look at them.

I update my spreadsheet monthly and print that out as a .PDF to keep a monthly record of how things are doing overall.
herpfinance

Post by herpfinance »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:19 am
herpfinance wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 amI don't keep historical records, although sometimes I wonder if I should. The spreadsheet is mostly useful for helping me keeping track of my asset allocation.
While I keep copies of all the monthly statements (in .PDF form on the computer), I never look at them.

I update my spreadsheet monthly and print that out as a .PDF to keep a monthly record of how things are doing overall.
Oh I keep all of my statements. I should have clarified by saying that I don't keep historical records of progress in terms of net wealth.

Monthly, quarterly or perhaps just annually doing a virtual print to a PDF might not be a bad idea. You've given me something to consider.
"The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists" - Benjamin Graham
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

Google Spreadsheet. Updates basically in real time except for mutual funds which sometimes don't update until the middle of the night. It's very easy once you figure out some basic formulas and the quotes function.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Woodshark wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:40 pm Since the majority of my $$ is with Vanguard I use their site. The have a nice feature where you can include outside investments in your account that are not under the Vanguard umbrella. It's simple and works well. Every so often I have to manually update the outside investments but it's not a big deal and takes less than 10 minutes.
+1. Same here. Super simple if you have most of your accounts at Vanguard.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I'm kinda proud of the spreadsheet design and always looking for things I can add easily to it. :happy
If those are real numbers, I'd suggest deleting them or making them fake after stating so.

I don't think that it is ever a good idea to post ones actual balances online.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Microsoft Excel is my account aggregator.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

digarei wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:41 pm Maintaining a wall of separation between my online accounts info and my spreadsheet has had another benefit: the act of writing fund balances has sharpened my overall financial awareness.
Bravo! I completely agree!
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

mickeyd wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:43 pm
If those are real numbers, I'd suggest deleting them or making them fake after stating so.

I don't think that it is ever a good idea to post ones actual balances online.
LOL. They're a fraction of the actual numbers. If you look, you'll see that I'm showing less than the required minimums for some of the funds.

Also the account numbers aren't real and this isn't my real name. So I'm covered. 8-)

That being said, there should be a way to show read-only views of accounts. Plus, in the personal finance section people do give a lot of information. Not saying whether it's right or wrong, but so long as real names and account numbers aren't included, I see no problem with giving account balances. (*shrug*)
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Excel seems a bit too cumbersome for me, and I don’t plan to use something like Personal Capital where they would have my account info.
I have had good luck with Financial Engines, https://financialengines.com/
You can get access through various means, including Schwab or Fidelity, even if you aren’t employer-sponsored. Easy to add accounts and investments without including account numbers or login info. If it were to be hacked, which everything has been or will be, not a problem since they have none of my personal info. I access it easily from any device, and it’s always updated.
They also don’t contact you to sell advice or management services, and it doesn’t obligate me to a particular investment firm.
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Excel. I can do so much with formulas and macros. It's still the preferred way to manage my portfolio.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Several Excel spreadsheets
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

mmcmonster wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 amI use a spreadsheet and manually update it by logging into the accounts, from top to bottom. I keep all the Vanguard funds in the same order as the website to make it faster. Including the logging on, I can update the 'Value' column within 5 minutes. I update the date column at the same time. Everything else is calculated.

Nice! I might borrow some elements to improve my Google Sheets spreadsheet. I usually like to remove not add things, so there's less to keep track of, and anytime I can eliminate or consolidate an account or fund is a good thing. There are two bits of information I try to keep track of, which is cost basis/tax liability and project an estimated after tax value, so I can monitor the overall after tax AA. I don't regularly update it, so if I keep up quarterly, that's an achievement. I have no need to be exact when everything is fluctuating daily.
InvestInPasta

Post by InvestInPasta »

I use a simple Excel spreadsheet too, dating back 2002.

I keep separated my banking account, the one I use to pay my bills, go shopping, deposit my salary, etc. from the investing/saving accounts.

At least once a year I write down the total balance of my investing/saving accounts, in this way I can keep track of the returns year after year of my all portfolio.

Since 2006 I have started to keep track of the few deposit/withdrawals on my portfolio, before I make a new deposit/wothdrawl (adding money to my savings) I calculate the balance of the all portfolio. In this way I have been able to keep track of the portfolio returns also time weighted as if it was a fund.
This has given me a great insight on how useless are my asset allocation decisions, and I realized once for all that a lazy portfolio is a better asset allocation to increase my savings. :mrgreen:

Everytime a new investing idea buzzes into my head, I look back at my past returns, and repeat to myself: "Stay the course, and STOP forecasting!"

If I had not kept track of my past returns I would be condemned to repeat the same investing mistakes forever. :beer
When I study English I am lazier than my portfolio. Feel free to fix my English and investing mistakes.
jef

Post by jef »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:30 pm Bogleheads:

My three funds are with Vanguard.

I check my asset-allocation and balances once or twice a year (for fraud, error and activity) on the Vanguard website and also when I receive my annual statement.

Vanguard website and statements provide much more information than I can possibly use.

That's it :happy

Best wishes.
Taylor
This.........Taylor is wise.
KATNYC

Post by KATNYC »

We tried to use personal capital but it's an exercise in frustration since our 401K has no tickers.
Some of the funds have thousands of holdings so trying to add tickers to personal capital for a representative sampling became a chore. Small/Mid cap shows as cash and there is no option to change it. We gave up. Plus, it was annoying when they kept calling.

We just use an Excel Spreadsheet.

Our ROTH IRAs are in Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (VTSMX)

401K Investment Mix (most have no tickers – recent 2017 change to fund options) was set to:
Large US Equity/Large Cap .04 ER
30%
Small/Mid Cap Equity .06 ER
35%
International Equity Index .13 ER
15%
Bond Index Fund .06 ER
10%
Company stock (has doubled over the years with company match + discretionary match)
10%

As of today with no changes it's at:
Large US Equity/Large Cap
30%
Small/Mid Cap Equity .06 ER
34%
International Equity Index .13 ER
16%
Bond Index Fund .06 ER
9%
Company stock (has doubled over the years with company match + discretionary match)
11%

Our HSA will be with Lively & most likely in SPTM since they removed the Vanguard no-fee options.
Last edited by KATNYC on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
grettman

Post by grettman »

I log into each of my accounts and record the balances after the last trading day of the month.

I enter the data in excel and use the pivot table feature.

I have been doing this since 2013.

I don't need anything else. Works very well.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

TwstdSista wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 am I love spreadsheets! I actually wish I could take a class in them to get beyond my very rudimentary knowledge of excel....
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun This YouTube channel can teach you everything you could need to know about Excel spreadsheets.
n00b

Post by n00b »

I track asset allocation in Excel with price/holdings data being supplied via External Data import from a Quicken report. I previously did the same with iBank and Open Office.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Halicar wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am
TwstdSista wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 am I love spreadsheets! I actually wish I could take a class in them to get beyond my very rudimentary knowledge of excel....
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun This YouTube channel can teach you everything you could need to know about Excel spreadsheets.
Ooh -- thank you very much for that!
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:01 pm I'm another Excel user. I manually update values for each fund and it automatically updates my cost, asset allocations, and such.
Same for me. I update the fund values 1/month and everything else auto calculates.

Every three months or so I adjust our auto-deposits toward whichever asset classes are lagging, sometimes slightly over-weighting the lagging classes and sometimes directing all new deposits toward them for a while.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:18 pm I use a pencil and paper. Works for me. :wink:
Ditto. Use a legal pad and pen. Not sure why folks do all the extra work doesn't all the platforms do cost basis for you?

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
iamright

Post by iamright »

This may sound crazy but my choice for the best software for portfolio tracking in Microsoft Money. I have mostly bonds in my portfolio and Money is the only software that computes annualized return for each security as well as for a composite of securities. Money no longer updates prices but there is an app 'MoneyUpdate' that does this for stocks and funds. I use the Money report function to update bonds and schedule yearly interest transactions. You can do most of this with Quicken but it can only compute returns over fixed periods - not over the actual period that you own the security.
Notsobad

Post by Notsobad »

I used microsoft money once upon a time. Once it stopped updating, I used Quicken and liked it to track expenses and investements. When I stopped using windows, I did not like quicken Mac, so I have used Moneydance. It is a bit clunky, and can be cumbersome to use, and requires more manual correction than Quicken did. However, it serves the purpose of tabulating our investments and shows me the asset allocation, and current value - as I check at least quarterly.

Vanguard is the main brokerage, but we have 401k accounts and some money elsewhere. Also, I have not tried to have Vanguard link both of our accounts (spouses) for the purpose of looking at the entire nest egg and allocation together.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Another custom Excel spreadsheet user here.

What I have found that works for me is that Fidelity and the 401k site my company uses allows me to do a csv download which opens a new Excel instance.

If you use Excel and have a Fidelity account, look for the "Positions" button for the account you want to update, then look for the button on the right for "Download".

I purposely crafted my Excel spreadsheet to match the column and field format of these csv downloads for share value, qty, basis, date, etc.

Then all I do is a copy and paste of *value* from the csv download into my spreadsheet by account and boom - my portfolio is updated.

I distrust 3rd party sites and am reluctant to type in account info & passwords for consolidation sites.

Everyone is different.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Everyone is different.
Ain't that the truth?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

This itsy bitsy google doc is all I need:

I don't TLH, so no other fancy knowledge required. Fill it out monthly. Re-balance in my 403b as necessary.

I'm a simple girl.