How does everyone keep track of your portfolio?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
crumbone

Re: How does everyone keep track of your portfolio?

Post by crumbone » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 pm

We have 10(!) retirement accounts and 1 taxable to hold what is basically a 3-fund portfolio. They say the best plan should be as simple as possible, but no simpler. That unfortunately leaves us with a decent bit of complexity. We use google sheets to keep track, updating share nuumbers as needed.

(gekko)

Post by (gekko) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:45 am

Newone88 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 pm
I created an excel spreadsheet with all of my fund/portfolio information. This includes the account (taxable, Roth, 401K, 403b etc), ticker, fund name, unit price, basis, amount, and expense ratio. Because I have several accounts, this has been really helpful for me to look at everything on one page.

The main problem is I manually entered in all the info. I logged into Fidelity, typed out all the info into excel and then moved onto the next account (Vanguard, then Schwab etc). So now I have to manually update the amounts and prices.

Or is there a way to make this easier, or even automated? I looked at google finance portfolio option, but it looks like this will be unavailable after November this year. I could also add accounts from other sites into my Fidelity account, but often this won't include ER, or other important info, or it won't link at all.

I don't know excel very well, but am trying to learn as much as I can.

I want to keep it as simple as I can be. You have MS Excel so you can use this. Follow those steps and you will be able to get Stock prices automatically.

1. Create a new Excel book, press F12 key and "Save as type" Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook. Write the file name...
2. With the last book open, press the keys "Alt" + "F11" it will open Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications
3. In the new window that was opened in the previous point, do:
a. Right Clic in VBAProject(filename.xlsm) navigate through the menu to "Insert" --> "Module"
4. Write in the module (copy and paste):
'-----------------
Option Explicit

Sub reCalculate()
With ActiveSheet
.EnableCalculation = False
.EnableCalculation = True
.Calculate
End With
MsgBox "Done!"
End Sub

Function getLastDate(TickerName As String) As Date
Dim lastDate As String, a() As String, b() As String

lastDate = Application.WebService("download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" & TickerName & "&f=d1t1")

If InStr(lastDate, "N/A") <> 0 Then
getLastDate = "October 29, 1929"
Exit Function
End If

a() = Split(lastDate, vbLf)
b() = Split(a(0), ",")
getLastDate = CDate(Replace(b(0) & " " & b(1), """", ""))

End Function

Function getLastPrice(TickerName As String) As Double
Dim CurrentPrice As String

CurrentPrice = Application.WebService("download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" & TickerName & "&f=l1")

If InStr(CurrentPrice, "N/A") <> 0 Then
CurrentPrice = 0
End If

getLastPrice = Application.NumberValue(CurrentPrice)

End Function
'-----------------
5. Save and close the Visual Basic window
6. Now in the current book you can use two formulas getLastPrice and getLastDate as you usually do in Excel...
a. getLastPrice("AAPL") - will give you the last price. It should be a cell Currency
b. getLastDate ("AAPL") - will give you the last date of the transaction. It should be a cell Date
7. If you ever want to force the download of the price and date you should press "Alt" + "F8" you will see Macro window pick the macro "reCalculate" and press button "Run". It will download new data updating this Sheet. I takes the data from finance.yahoo.com. It works very well for US Stocks Funds and ETFs.

I hope it helps,

(Geeko)

gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Do you copy the words "Option Explicit" as well?
----------------------------------------------------------
Option Explicit

Sub reCalculate()
With ActiveSheet
.EnableCalculation = False
.EnableCalculation = True
.Calculate
End With
MsgBox "Done!"
End Sub

Function getLastDate(TickerName As String) As Date
Dim lastDate As String, a() As String, b() As String

lastDate = Application.WebService("download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" & TickerName & "&f=d1t1")

If InStr(lastDate, "N/A") <> 0 Then
getLastDate = "October 29, 1929"
Exit Function
End If

a() = Split(lastDate, vbLf)
b() = Split(a(0), ",")
getLastDate = CDate(Replace(b(0) & " " & b(1), """", ""))

End Function

Function getLastPrice(TickerName As String) As Double
Dim CurrentPrice As String

CurrentPrice = Application.WebService("download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=" & TickerName & "&f=l1")

If InStr(CurrentPrice, "N/A") <> 0 Then
CurrentPrice = 0
End If

getLastPrice = Application.NumberValue(CurrentPrice)

End Function

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:57 pm

(gekko), please pardon me for this.....

I'm not sure it would be wise for anyone to do what this poster has suggested. This is not someone who has been around for years. S/he's been here a few days. Could be a crafty hacker for all we know.

It's probably safe, but I'm not sure it is wise to trust something like this from an unknown source. Maybe I'm just showing my programming ignorance, but better safe than sorry.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Quicken, have been using it for decades. I'm on version 2017 now although I'm not one of those who upgrades every year. I think I went 6 or 7 years between the last two upgrades.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Open Office spreadsheet with a few formulas I typed in - addition, percentages, etc. I also cross check with VG's portfolio watch. With all the funds in VG, the update takes about 10 minutes / month.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Newone88 wrote:
I created an excel spreadsheet with all of my fund/portfolio information. This includes the account (taxable, Roth, 401K, 403b etc), ticker, fund name, unit price, basis, amount, and expense ratio. Because I have several accounts, this has been really helpful for me to look at everything on one page.

The main problem is I manually entered in all the info. I logged into Fidelity, typed out all the info into excel and then moved onto the next account (Vanguard, then Schwab etc). So now I have to manually update the amounts and prices.

Or is there a way to make this easier, or even automated? I looked at google finance portfolio option, but it looks like this will be unavailable after November this year. I could also add accounts from other sites into my Fidelity account, but often this won't include ER, or other important info, or it won't link at all.

We have a rollover IRA, 2 Roth IRAs, and joint taxable account all at Vanguard. We use just five funds, all from Vanguard.

I use Morningstar's free Portfolio Manager, and manually enter new share totals resulting from RMDs or dividend reinvestment.

For rare rebalancing I use a cheap pocket calculator, pad of paper, and pen.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:48 pm

blueman457 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:41 pm
My wife and I have a number of investment accounts at different institutions (403b, 457s, 401a, Roth IRAs) and I STILL use a Excel spreadsheet to track prices and rebalance our asset allocation. I haven't figured out how to use the XIRR feature, so I technically don't know what my return is, but it's all in index funds so I figure I'm batting average.

Blue Man
+1

Northster

Post by Northster » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:54 pm

I too use a spreadsheet. One twist I found useful was to keep the number of shares in a separate sheet, where I can easily update them as needed. The main sheet then calls the cells in this share sheet to calculate the dollar value based on yesterdy'a price as pulled by the Google function.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Another advantage to owning few funds. I've but 1 fund, the Vanguard Balanced 60/40. I can Google it anytime, or use the free Morningstar sheets to have an online peek. Plus low cost oversight.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Has anybody tried Moneydance software?

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Newone88 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:30 pm
truenorth418 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:19 pm
Google spreadsheet. Links to all my funds and ETFs so I can see the portfolio value in real time.
When I tried this, the site posts

"Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio."
These are actually two different things. The Google Finance functions in Google Spreadsheet are working fine during the re-jiggering of Google's Portfolio's feature, which I've never felt the need to use. It's pretty easy to construct a spreadsheet on which you only need to update the number of shares and let the spreadsheet do the rest.

Edit to add: Woops! I just saw AlohaJoe beat me to saying the same thing

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm

I track my asset allocation using Personal Capital, and I track my account balances and net worth with Excel.

However I don't track my portfolio performance. I just keep buying and watch the balances rise over time. I have no idea what my aggregate personal rate of return is. Although I can find that info for individual accounts online (Vanguard Roth IRA, employer 401k, etc.), it's meaningless since each account represents a small portion of the total - and also because that information isn't going to change anything so I don't bother with it.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:17 pm

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (spreadsheet).

The wiki has a short list: Using a spreadsheet to maintain a portfolio
retiredjg wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:57 pm

I'm not sure it would be wise for anyone to do what this poster has suggested. This is not someone who has been around for years. S/he's been here a few days. Could be a crafty hacker for all we know.

It's probably safe, but I'm not sure it is wise to trust something like this from an unknown source. Maybe I'm just showing my programming ignorance, but better safe than sorry.
I looked at the code. It's fine.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I have a lot of different accounts, and it's a very time consuming to update the changing number of shares and prices. I use a spread sheet and it crunches the numbers, but it still takes a lot of time to gather the information and enter it. For that reason, I don't update it very often. I would very much like to find an easier way to keep up with it.
Slow and steady wins the race.

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm
I track my asset allocation using Personal Capital, and I track my account balances and net worth with Excel.

I do the same. My only complaint (very minor and nitpicking) with Personal Capital is the "Alternatives" allocation. I wish they would just show stocks/bonds/cash. The alternatives throws me for a loop, because some of my equity indexes may have REITS or things like that, and then you end up adding in Alternatives to Equity. Even the international bond/international stock is more detail than I'd like.

I wish there was an option for straight up total Equity/Bond/Cash. Would be easier and cleaner.

trueson1

Post by trueson1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm

As others have mentioned - Personal Capital is my favorite. What I don't like about PC is that if keeps your cash separate from investments for overall portfolio
Fidelity Full View OK - but the Retirement Estimator is also pretty good - better than Personal Capital.

Also Excel
Last edited by trueson1 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3wood

Post by 3wood » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 pm

I use Vanguard. It has an option of inputting outside investments. I just alter the number of shares when there is a change.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm

FootballFan5548 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:21 pm
Meg77 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:13 pm

I do the same. My only complaint (very minor and nitpicking) with Personal Capital is the "Alternatives" allocation. I wish they would just show stocks/bonds/cash. The alternatives throws me for a loop, because some of my equity indexes may have REITS or things like that, and then you end up adding in Alternatives to Equity. Even the international bond/international stock is more detail than I'd like.

I wish there was an option for straight up total Equity/Bond/Cash. Would be easier and cleaner.
Yes the alternatives section confuses me too. However I don't know whether they are pulling from international stocks or US REITs or what so I can't really lump it back into another category. So I've become accustomed to tracking a small amount of "alternatives" for myself which I otherwise wouldn't. However recently we invested a small amount in a couple of start ups and in a tech accelerator as well as a little lump into my private employer stock. So I throw all that into "alternatives" too. The alternatives category has become a helpful catch-all "other" bucket for me as it turns out.

I was surprised to learn that I owned international bonds though through one index or another though, so their breakdown showed me something I didn't know. And I do like seeing the emerging markets breakdown.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Newone88 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:30 pm
truenorth418 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:19 pm
Google spreadsheet. Links to all my funds and ETFs so I can see the portfolio value in real time.
When I tried this, the site posts
"Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio."
I use Google Finance which provides all the info I need.
Not sure what they will come up with in November but the NY Times Portfolio screen seems to have the same functionality.
Google and the Times adjusts price changes daily.
Quarterly I manually update changes: retired, all in bound growth and interest/dividends along with outgo or balancing of 5 Vanguard funds plus I Bond portfolio.
With duplication not being enough, I periodically down load the Vanguard 'balances and holdings' screen to Excel where I have quarterly activity going back more than ten years.
Nice to see that despite RMDs and some necessary heavy withdrawals over the years, the assets have shown a nice increase.
Once more a shout out for the gurus here at BH for showing us the path to asset growth
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I signed up for Mint a few years ago and I am really glad that I did.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:17 pm
This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (spreadsheet).

retiredjg wrote:

I agree that the code looked harmless. But weren't there some threads recently (awhile back) about problems pulling prices from Yahoo! with code? And it seemed that Yahoo! had changed things a number of times to make this difficult. They had even sent a "cease and desist" letter to the feller from the Canadian Bogleheads site who had posted some original code on getting prices. ...I guess they want to sell their advertising.

ETA: that would be this viewtopic.php?t=218779 and related threads
Last edited by JohnFiscal on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thanks. Sorry to be an alarmist. Abundant apologies to (gekko) and welcome to the forum. :happy

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:42 pm

I wanted to add to my earlier reply, that in using Excel to track investments and transactions these are tied into my entire financial ecology including checking, savings, credit cards, insurance, retirement, etc. So it really makes sense for me to have the ability to pull this data in via Excel for analysis, reporting, understanding, contemplation, and navel gazing.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Libre Office spreadsheet (think Excel, but free), with manually updated balances. I don't hand my account credentials to "free" aggregators to save 10 minutes every few months, and I don't have a reason to see my up-to-date summary more often. As I work to reduce complexity (fewer, cheaper funds), I also reduce the cost of maintaining my spreadsheets.

(gekko)

Post by (gekko) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:06 pm

retiredjg wrote:

No problem at all :beer

The code is open so you can see that is nothing bad in there...
Also, you can Google it "Yahoo Finance API Help"

Here a little reference for the API: http://www.jarloo.com/yahoo_finance/

What it does is to download data from Yahoo example (http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=AAPL&f=l1d1t1) . If you click this link it will download:
- Last Trade (Price Only) l1
- Last Trade Date d1
- Last Trade Time t1

With a little knowing of programming you can write your personalized functions too using this code as a base...

Regards!!

(gekko)

(gekko)

Post by (gekko) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:17 pm

JohnFiscal wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 pm
LadyGeek wrote:

retiredjg wrote:

I agree that the code looked harmless. But weren't there some threads recently (awhile back) about problems pulling prices from Yahoo! with code? And it seemed that Yahoo! had changed things a number of times to make this difficult. They had even sent a "cease and desist" letter to the feller from the Canadian Bogleheads site who had posted some original code on getting prices. ...I guess they want to sell their advertising.

ETA: that would be this viewtopic.php?t=218779 and related threads
Yes, that maybe will happen in the future, or today - "Who knows the future?" :shock:
I have other function to use this API https://www.alphavantage.co/ but it is very slow and get often maintenance (but it is the only one that get me the data for international stock ".MC"), Yahoo so far works very well.

(gekko)

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:36 pm

serbeer wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 pm
Fidelity has FullView tool that allows you to keep track of all accounts, including the ones external to Fidelity
My concern is that Fidelity would have login and password info. If Fidelity got hacked, someone could access your other accounts and wreak havoc.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

(gekko)

Post by (gekko) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Thanks. Sorry to be an alarmist. Abundant apologies to (gekko) and welcome to the forum. :happy
:sharebeer

(gekko)

Imagolfer2

Post by Imagolfer2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Over the years, we’ve consolidated all of our accounts with Vanguard. My wife and I each have a Taxable account, and IRA brokerage account and a Vanguard IRA account. I also have a taxable brokerage account. We hold mostly Vanguard funds and a few non-Vanguard funds—19 in total. I use Morningstar to monitor my portfolio and spend a few minutes monthly entering any distributions. It compares very well with Vanguard and serves as a check. I look at it daily just to make sure the balances are consistant and have been very lucky that we have not have any issues with errors or fraud. I usually do any adjustments in the beginning of each year or if and when my bands are exceeded. Works for us.

Ashley1748

Post by Ashley1748 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Quicken w occasional export to Excel

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:00 pm

trueson1 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm
What I don't like about PC is that if keeps your cash separate from investments for overall portfolio
Fidelity ... Retirement Estimator is also pretty good - better than Personal Capital.
+1 on both counts.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:46 pm

I use an Excel spreadsheet. Two funds in my 403(b) and two funds in my taxable account. It took me three minutes to look up today's share or unit values (no login necesssary) and plug them in by hand to get my current portfolio balance.

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 pm

There are many views available in the Fidelity site, that are useful.

I personally use an Excel file also, without any automatic data pulls, which I'd like to add eventually. What I like about doing it this way:
- I can structure the data the way I want to see it
- It's easy to link into Net Worth calculations
- It's easy to link into retirement cash flow calculations
- I build my own tracking charts (I do this mostly for fun, especially the last two)
- Total retirement assets
- Total Net Worth
- Funding Ratios
- Savings to Earnings Ratio
- % of PAW
- I feed the data into growth projections for retirement assets, and for net worth.

The big drawbacks are, I think, lack of automated feed/manual entry, and also it's kinda messy in that I track everything and the kitchen sink in this file, from my blood pressure, to the cash flow IRR on our business, to our household budget. I really need to clean it up... :oops:
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:40 pm

flight wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm
If you are looking for a software option, try fundmanagersoftware.com. For $99 one-time fee, there is a subscription to a personal version (professional version available too). It downloads transactions (buy, sell, dividends, etc) from brokerages and internet retrieves prices, and you can run reports/graphs around time-weighted returns, portfolio value, asset allocation and many things like that. Can be done at the portfolio level or individual security level, and you can dimension between IRAs, taxable accounts, or however you want.
I second the recommendation for FundManager. One of the best, most elegantly designed pieces of software I've ever used - and I've been in software development for the better part of 40 years.

VERY nice app and does everything you'd expect - and more. The $99 (or whatever it is) is well worth it, IMHO. I couldn't manage my Portfolio without it.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:48 pm

RetireBy55 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:40 pm
flight wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm
If you are looking for a software option, try fundmanagersoftware.com. For $99 one-time fee, there is a subscription to a personal version (professional version available too). It downloads transactions (buy, sell, dividends, etc) from brokerages and internet retrieves prices, and you can run reports/graphs around time-weighted returns, portfolio value, asset allocation and many things like that. Can be done at the portfolio level or individual security level, and you can dimension between IRAs, taxable accounts, or however you want.
I second the recommendation for FundManager. One of the best, most elegantly designed pieces of software I've ever used - and I've been in software development for the better part of 40 years.

VERY nice app and does everything you'd expect - and more. The $99 (or whatever it is) is well worth it, IMHO. I couldn't manage my Portfolio without it.
I third it!

I have been using it for a few years now. It isn't the most "frugal way," but it is far more powerful than I will ever need. I would hate to try to calculate the hours it has saved me over trying to use other methods to accomplish the same things I have used it for.

TinkerPDX

Post by TinkerPDX » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Google sheet w GOOFLEFINANCE function that automatically updates ETF prices, which I manually update twice a month when I buy, based on what the sheet tells me to do to maintain AA

Also have a personal capital account which is moderately useful, but for calling REITs an "alternative" and for th occasional bouts of up-sell calls.

Has Mint gotten its asset tracking together? My securities info there was always so wrong that I stopped looking.

Explorer

Post by Explorer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Johnsson wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 pm
Ditto on the Excel. Data entry on the 1st of the month (or so) with auto calculations for rebalancing.

Several tabs... plus list of accounts w/login info, projections, IPS ... all for DW to ponder and/or throw away when I'm gone.
i use Excel also but I embedded http://ogres-crypt.com/SMF/ stock market function macros. Everytime I bring up excel, the macro fetches all market prices. All I do is update the share count for each symbol at month/quarter end to reflect dividends that are reinvested. That's it.

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

This is kind of refreshing. Free account has 10 securities, no
access to anything, a tax and a performance report. And no
spreadsheet. Should be good for some index fund tracking.

Portfolio Tracker - Sharesight
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

I use an excel spreadsheet with an array recommended by a professional planner who did a one time plan for my wife and me about 10 years ago.

We have numerous accounts but very few holdings/asset classes in any account. Accounts are his tax deferred, her tax deferred, his Roth, her Roth and taxable.
This array allows me to quickly view current values and "liquid net worth". Within each account assets are color coded and are subtotaled at the bottom of the spreadsheet. These subtotals give me my detailed AA on a pretax basis. Coping the input to an Identical spreadsheet gives me an estimated after tax AA based on our marginal tax rates. (I only do this every year or two.)

The spreadsheet is updated once a quarter and it takes me about a half hour to do so.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 pm

S&L1940 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm
Google adjusts the price in real time, not daily.

I don't know what the Times does.

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:01 pm
I'm another Excel user. I manually update values for each fund and it automatically updates my cost, asset allocations, and such.
Ditto ditto. No automagic downloads for me - my trust was never that high, and is totally shot now.

I have two sections on one excel page: One with each index fund in my slice-and-dice portfolio, which is used for annual rebalancing, and an easily-updateable one with the just the bottom-line from the two mutual fund companies I use, for "peeking" when markets are hot. (When they're cold I think about other things. :wink: )
"I know nothing."

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:39 pm

I like simplicity... /points to screen name :)

I like to use old school paper and pen, very similar to retiredjg.

I tried Quicken and didn't care for it.

Although all the graphs, chart, percentages and reports are interesting, I'm not going to make any changes to my portfolio based on that information. Well maybe if I hit a rebalancing band, but that is pretty simple to figure out manually.

Silly Wabbit

Post by Silly Wabbit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

I use personal capital along with some spreadsheets.

Occasionally I'll use Morningstar as a check on personal capital's asset type tracking. It's mis-attributed holding to cash, etc in the past.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Newone88 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:36 pm
Archimedes wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:32 pm
Personal Capital tracks and updates your net worth on an ongoing basis for free. The software is quite good. And did I mention it is free?

The downside: They may have one of their financial advisors contact you to ask if you want to have them manage your investments for a fee, but there is no obligation to take their call or to accept their service.

In the past I used a spreadsheet, or Quicken. Now I only use Personal Capital. It’s a big leap forward for me.
Yeah I just logged into my Personal Capital account and didn't even realize they have my holdings already in there. It's not perfect, for instance I can't link Fidelity 401k, and all the funds are listed in alphabetical order instead of by account, but it's still better than what I thought I had access to. :sharebeer
You should have no problem linking Fidelity accounts, including workplace 401k (netbenefits), make sure you are using the correct workplace login link and not the brokerage link =)

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Prior to 1995, when I bought my first home PC, I used pencil and paper to keep track of balances on each of the few mutual funds I owned and had another sheet which kept track of monthly balances. This was only for my taxable account, my 401k quarterly statements were enough for that part of my portfolio.

But when I got that first home PC, I had Lotus for Windows put on it. Excel was pretty new back then, and at work I hadn't quite learned it yet. I had 10 years of experience using Lotus even though we still had the Lotus for DOS version on the office PCs.

I soon created spreadsheets which mimicked the pencil and paper stuff and added more and more calculations to them over the years. I still have one spreadsheet per fund and an overall spreadsheet for the entire portfolio. I eventually created a spreadsheet for the 401k, too. When I left the company 9 years ago, I did a direct rollover into an IRA, so that became a spreadsheet, too.

Another key spreadsheet I created was one which mimics my checkbook register. I soon expanded it to include a skeleton version of my tax returns. Its monthly balances are part of my overall portfolio, of course.

I later got a free copy of Lotus Suite, Version 9 for Windows. While I am fairly fluent in Excel, I like Lotus V9 more, so most of my personal spreadsheet files are in Lotus. And Lotus V9 works in all the later versions of Windows, including Windows 10, whereas I had some compatibility issues with my ancient version of Excel (2000) with some Windows systems.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 pm
S&L1940 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm
Google adjusts the price in real time, not daily.
I don't know what the Times does.
the Times appears to have various analytical screens that I do not use or bother to access
The below are on the main portfolio screen
* Last price * 1-day $ change * 1-day % change * 30-day % change * #Shares * Total value
I have no need to track in real time so not sure how often they update the columns
Actually, with managing the asset equity and fixed balance and withdrawal needs, I could get by with just the Vanguard tools
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:12 am

Newone88 wrote:

I use Excel. It usually update early on Saturday morning before the family gets up. Really doesn't take long at all. As somebody else pointed out, Fidelity Full view will show me the current value of each of my portfolios inside and outside of Fidelity, which makes it pretty easy to update my spreadsheet. However, I can't get return information for accounts outside of Fidelity, just the current values. Also, around once a month, I also go down into each individual portfolio and get the individual holdings to see where my current AA is - to do that requires logging into each individual account. Again, really doesn't take all that long. Because I make deposits each month, it helps me to decide into which account and which investment to send the money.

Inside the same spreadsheet, I also have "model portfolios" which I monitor. These show the nominal AA for each account and I use the SMF addin to Excel (from a yahoo group by the same name) to get YTD returns for each mutual fund/ETF I'm in, assuming no deposits were made.

Good luck!

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:29 am

Vanguard site for my funds as they're all with VG. At the end of each quarter I manually update CD and I-Bond values. KISS.
Friar1610

herpfinance

Post by herpfinance » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 am

Good old Excel spreadsheet.
"The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists" - Benjamin Graham