Fellow TDA bogleheads [TDA dropping Vanguard ETFs from commission-free list]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
jon7417

TD Ameritrade Free ETF program changing...

Post by jon7417 »

I use TD Ameritrade for my HSA Account and invest in Vanguard ETF Index Funds. Received this unfortunate news in my inbox this morning....
They make it sound like exciting news, but I am not excited as didn't see Vanguard funds on the Free ETF trade list.
Not sure of the new fund expense ratios, but expecting them not to be good. Yes I can still buy VG funds with a purchase fee, but I don't like that option.
Time to look for another HSA Company/Investing option....sigh

---------------------

"We're happy to announce that we are expanding our commission-free exchange-traded funds (ETFs) trading program, nearly tripling the number of available commission-free funds to 296. Since you're currently enrolled in the commission-free ETF trading program, we want to be sure you have all the details so you can determine how these changes can meet your investing needs.

Updates to Funds List

We will be replacing most of the ETFs currently on the commission-free ETF list with a broad new selection of funds from AGFiQ QuantShares, First Trust Portfolios, iShares ETFs, J.P. Morgan Asset Management, PowerShares by Invesco, ProShares, State Street Global Advisors' SPDR Business, and WisdomTree Investments. These new ETF choices will be available in the ETF Market Center beginning October 17, 2017.

Current ETFs will remain on the commission-free list through November 20, 2017. Beginning November 21, 2017, they will trade at our standard low commission rates.

The new ETFs will provide access to low-cost ETFs in the same asset classes that the current ETFs provide, along with several new asset classes. If you choose to replace any current position on the commission-free list with an ETF from the new list by November 20, 2017, you will not be charged commissions for either trade.

Additional Program Change

We'll be removing our short-term trading fee of $19.99. This change will go into effect on November 21, 2017.

These changes are part of our ongoing effort to provide low-cost investment choices that can help you pursue your financial goals. We're glad you chose TD Ameritrade, and we'll continue doing all we can to improve your trading experience."

https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_ ... 000835.pdf

[merged into this topic --moderator triceratop]
jhfenton

Re: Fellow TDA bogleheads

Post by jhfenton »

stilllurking wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 am After logging into my HSA account at TDA, I saw a link to a PDF for the list of free ETFs as of 10/17/17.

Also posted on the public site:
https://www.tdameritrade.com/investment ... /etfs.page

I only use VTI here and it is still an option. There are a total of 30 Vanguard ETFs available. I believe previously there were 32.

Sigh of relief!!
I assume it's a temporary reprieve, but I noticed the same thing. The PDF list with today's date (10/17/17) still has the Vanguard funds too, along with the new ones.

I assume they are in the processing of preparing some sort of notice to customers or disclaimer somewhere that certain named funds are going to be removed in 30 days.
deltaneutral83 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 am VG ETFs aren't going anywhere, they are just now excluded from commission free with TDA.
But they haven't actually removed them yet, and a WSJ article is not notice to customers that they're being removed.

But they undoubtedly will be.
Outafter20

Post by Outafter20 »

Just got this email from Ameritrade:

TD Ameritrade

Your account ending in XXXX Log in
Dear Valued Client,

We're happy to announce that we are expanding our commission-free exchange-traded funds (ETFs) trading program, nearly tripling the number of available funds to 296. Since you’re currently enrolled in the commission-free ETF trading program, we want to be sure you have all the details so you can determine how these changes can meet your investing needs.

Updates to Funds List

We will be replacing most of the ETFs currently on the commission-free ETF list with a broad new selection of ETFs from AGFiQ QuantShares, First Trust Portfolios, iShares ETFs, J.P. Morgan Asset Management, PowerShares by Invesco, ProShares, State Street Global Advisors’ SPDR Business, and WisdomTree Investments. These new ETF choices will be available in the ETF Market Center beginning October 17, 2017.

Current ETFs will remain on the commission-free list through November 20, 2017. Beginning November 21, 2017, they will trade at our standard low commission rates.

The new list will provide access to low-cost ETFs in the same asset classes that the current ETFs provide, along with several new asset classes. If you choose to replace any current position on the commission-free list with an ETF from the new list by November 20, 2017, you will not be charged commissions for either trade.

Additional Program Changes

New 30-Day Margin Rule: All new ETFs on the commission-free list cannot be used as collateral for a margin loan, nor can they be included in margin equity for 30 days after purchase.

Lower Short-Term Trading Fee: We'll be lowering our short-term trading fee from $19.99 to $13.90. This will only apply to ETFs held less than 30 days. This new fee will go into effect on November 21, 2017.

These changes are part of our ongoing effort to provide low-cost investment choices that can help you pursue your financial goals. We're glad you chose TD Ameritrade, and we'll continue doing all we can to improve your trading experience.

If you have any questions, please let us know. You can log in to your account and go to Client Services > Message Center to write us, or call Client Services at 800-669-3900. We're available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Just received the email from TDA announcing this. I'll be sending a response of my disappointment.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

stilllurking wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 am After logging into my HSA account at TDA, I saw a link to a PDF for the list of free ETFs as of 10/17/17.

I only use VTI here and it is still an option. There are a total of 30 Vanguard ETFs available. I believe previously there were 32.

Sigh of relief!!
Hm, this is strange. Indeed, if one goes to this "Select from 250+ commission-free ETFs" list and scrolls down to "Commission-Free ETF List", and use All-Funds tab on it, you can sort by Gross Expense Ration (the most expensive ETF on the list is 7.77% btw, ha) and you can see Vanguard funds there still. BND/VTI/VB/VEU, etc. Or Fund Family tab, Vanguard still shows 30 comission-free ETFs.
At the same time, if one goes to Category tab, Bond, there is no BND in the list, but that can be miscategorization.
So either they decided not to pull Vanguard funds from the list, or it is transition day and they already added new funds and will remove Vanguard funds tomorrow. This is most likely I think given pdf press release least posted in this thread earlier.
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

It looks like SSgA just launched these ETFs. Everyone should send an online message to TDA (Client Services | Contact Us) to express their views.
wxturtle

Post by wxturtle »

Same. Unfortunately this is my HSA (through HSABank) so not sure just picking up and moving is feasible/worth it.

Looks like they have these new SPDR ETFs on the no-load list: https://www.etftrends.com/state-street- ... o-fee-war/

Will have to see if they can pick up enough volume to not kill me through bid-ask by November 20th or so.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I have my HSA at TDA. Seems like there's no reason to sell the Vanguard ETF I currently own. But I'll need to pick a new ETF for future investments.

I just looked at the new fund options. Yes, the ER is higher.
Last edited by Hayden on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
wxturtle

Post by wxturtle »

Hayden wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 am I have my HSA at TDA. Seems like there's no reason to sell the Vanguard ETF I currently own. But I'll need to pick a new ETF for future investments.
Yes, if you have a lot of $$$ tied up in only a handful (2-4) VG funds, my guess is holding and eating the commission for cashing out (in a lump sum, though) down the road may be a better option than selling for free/buying for free but eating bid-ask on both sides (probably more important for buy side given the "newness" of the ETFs). But if you want to sell in bits and chunks eventually, that's not super tenable.

For now, I'm waiting until early-mid November to see how this shakes out, but I am going to send TD a note expressing my displeasure.
bberris

Re: TD Ameritrade Free ETF program changing...

Post by bberris »

No Vanguard, no Ishares. Only some thinly traded (SPTM has 800 shares so far today), obscure ETF's, with higher expense ratios and larger spreads.
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

What are the best new options to replace VTI, VEA and BND?
Topic Author
John Laurens

Post by John Laurens »

Sigh of relief!!
VTI is commission free until November 21. After that, you will have to use an ETF on the new list. For instance, SPDR Gender Diversity etf.
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 am Just received the email from TDA announcing this. I'll be sending a response of my disappointment.
Great, please do. Even call them.
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r »

Hi Guys,

I'd encourage everyone to call TDA and let them know of your disappointment for taking vanguard ETFs commission free status away. I just called them and let my representative know this pushes me significantly further away from TDA and that I am now considering liquidating all assets from TDA. The representative was a little surprised and said that he would definitely take a note of it.
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r »

jhfenton wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 am
kehyler wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 am I haven't had a chance too look through the list yet, do we still have the ability to make a low-cost three fund portfolio? I used to use VTI, VEU&VSS, and BND.
There are equivalents to VTI, VEU, and BND (and VWO), but not VSS.

VTI = SPTM (3 bp)
VEU = SPDW (4 bp)
BND = SPAB (4 bp)

VWO = SPEM (11 bp)
Thx! I used VEU/VSS to get roughly VXUS. Is there an equivalent to VXUS?
kaaboom

Post by kaaboom »

I also just saw this darn email :(
Where to go now to get commission-free Vanguard ETFs for an HSA?
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

On the bright side, "We'll be removing our short-term trading fee of $19.99. This change will go into effect on November 21, 2017. "
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

I'll be curious to see if they give anyone a few free trades beyond Nov 21 to keep them around for a while. I'll be moving shares in kind to ME/Schwab, whichever has a a better bonus.
Majormajor78

Post by Majormajor78 »

serbeer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:40 am Hm, this is strange. Indeed, if one goes to this "Select from 250+ commission-free ETFs" list and scrolls down to "Commission-Free ETF List", and use All-Funds tab on it, you can sort by Gross Expense Ration (the most expensive ETF on the list is 7.77% btw, ha) and you can see Vanguard funds there still. BND/VTI/VB/VEU, etc. Or Fund Family tab, Vanguard still shows 30 comission-free ETFs.
At the same time, if one goes to Category tab, Bond, there is no BND in the list, but that can be miscategorization.
So either they decided not to pull Vanguard funds from the list, or it is transition day and they already added new funds and will remove Vanguard funds tomorrow. This is most likely I think given pdf press release least posted in this thread earlier.
The email I received stated that all current ETF's will remain on the list until Nov. 20th after which time they will be dropped and become subject to standard commissions.
"Oh, M. le Comte, it is only a loss of money which I have sustained... nothing worth mentioning, I assure you."
Zach

Post by Zach »

SPTM has an expense ratio of 0.10%, not as good as the 0.04% from VTI. I'm a little irked by TDA emailing me the bad news masquerading as good news.
keystone

Post by keystone »

Hayden wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 am I have my HSA at TDA. Seems like there's no reason to sell the Vanguard ETF I currently own. But I'll need to pick a new ETF for future investments.
That's what I'm thinking. Assuming there will be no fees with dividend reinvestment (I don't think there will be), I don't see any reason not to continue holding the existing Vanguard ETFs that I own. I'll just eat the commission when I'm ready to sell which hopefully won't be for 15 or more years. :happy

I will direct new money to the low cost State Street ETFs.
1andDone

Post by 1andDone »

I just got off a 20-minute phone call with TDA to voice my displeasure about the elimination of Vanguard funds from the commission-free list as of 11/20/17, and the agent told me multiple times that VTI will remain commission-free even after 11/20. This is, of course, in direct contradiction to the email we all received. I asked her to send me a written confirmation stating that VTI will remain commission-free after 11/20, which she claimed I should receive in 1-2 business days. Either my reading comprehension skills are way out of wack, or this customer service agent was extremely misinformed. Either way, I'm not pleased.
keystone

Post by keystone »

Zach wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 am SPTM has an expense ratio of 0.10%, not as good as the 0.04% from VTI. I'm a little irked by TDA emailing me the bad news masquerading as good news.
Where do you see 0.10%? I thought it was 0.03% per this link: https://us.spdrs.com/en/etf/spdr-portfo ... t-ETF-SPTM
ChicagoSparty

Post by ChicagoSparty »

1andDone wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 am I just got off a 20-minute phone call with TDA to voice my displeasure about the elimination of Vanguard funds from the commission-free list as of 11/20/17, and the agent told me multiple times that VTI will remain commission-free even after 11/20. This is, of course, in direct contradiction to the email we all received. I asked her to send me a written confirmation stating that VTI will remain commission-free after 11/20, which she claimed I should receive in 1-2 business days. Either my reading comprehension skills are way out of wack, or this customer service agent was extremely misinformed. Either way, I'm not pleased.
I am super annoyed as well. Hopefully what you are saying is true.....are there any other big brokerages where you can buy VTI, VEU, and BND commission free?
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Already being discussed in this thread, including the e-mail that you got:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=229801

The title of that thread isn't nearly as descriptive as yours, so you can be forgiven for overlooking it. :)
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Smokey21

TD Ameritrade dropping Vanguard from commission-free ETFs

Post by Smokey21 »

:oops:

Well, I have been happy at TD Ameritrade for many years. Dropping Vanguard ETFs will make me look around to other brokerages.

Unfortunately, Vanguard won't service the types of accounts that I have it TD Ameritrade.

Does anyone have any compelling reasons to stay?

What other brokerages should I consider?

[merged into this thread --moderator triceratop]
jon7417

Post by jon7417 »

Many thanks. I promise I searched before posting!

Admin, please delete this or merge with the previous thread.
Sorry for the duplicate.
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

kehyler wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 am Hi Guys,

I'd encourage everyone to call TDA and let them know of your disappointment for taking vanguard ETFs commission free status away. I just called them and let my representative know this pushes me significantly further away from TDA and that I am now considering liquidating all assets from TDA. The representative was a little surprised and said that he would definitely take a note of it.
Why don't you call Vanguard and let them know you'd like them to pick up the tab for your commissions at other brokerages?
drmoneytails

Post by drmoneytails »

I only recently opened an account at HSA Bank with TDA and was purchasing exclusively VTI which has an expense ratio of 0.04%. Seems like SPTM has an expense ratio of 0.4%.
Does that make a huge difference long term?
Yeti

Re: TD Ameritrade dropping Vanguard from commission-free ETFs

Post by Yeti »

Smokey21,

I read the same email this morning. I haven't had a chance to look into ER's of the funds replacing the vanguard funds, have you? I don't really care if the fund is the same (ie a Vanguard fund) as long as it tracks the same index at a low, reasonable cost.

Yeti
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

drmoneytails wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 am I only recently opened an account at HSA Bank with TDA and was purchasing exclusively VTI which has an expense ratio of 0.04%. Seems like SPTM has an expense ratio of 0.4%.
Does that make a huge difference long term?
It's 0.03% ER - http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... a-Low-Cost
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Well this sucks. I'd rather pay a commission and use Vanguard ETFs than use some of these crummy ETFs. That's what I'm doing at Schwab already in my 401(k). Only my HSA is at TD Ameritrade, and I only make one purchase per year right now, so if I can score 30 free trades that'll do me for a long, long time. And if not, well, a commission is $6.95. Not the end of the world.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

keystone wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:17 am
Zach wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 am SPTM has an expense ratio of 0.10%, not as good as the 0.04% from VTI. I'm a little irked by TDA emailing me the bad news masquerading as good news.
Where do you see 0.10%? I thought it was 0.03% per this link: https://us.spdrs.com/en/etf/spdr-portfo ... t-ETF-SPTM
That was the old expense ratio. It is now 0.03%. Just as the old expense ration for SPEM (the EM fund) was 0.59% (as GMM), and now it's 0.11%. They rebadged and lowered the ERs on all of the funds.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

I just sent message to TDA telling them how disappointed and annoyed with this change I am. I think everyone who uses TDA and does not like this change should let them know.

Simply put, this change makes TDA non-competitive in the area of comission-free ETF trading and will force my household to move away to another brokerage -- doing what multi-thousand dollar bonuses offered by some of these other brockerages failed to do over the years.

Btw, I sure many people on this board done in-kind account tranfers before, so what happens to all the account history, including cost basis. Does any of it moves as well, or must I save years-worth of account statements and calculate the basis myself after the move?
HotRod

Post by HotRod »

This is like a bad dream, I retired from my job LAST WEEK so I will now just start to make withdrawals from my savings.

Naturally, the 2 primary funds that I'm invested in (IVV - S&P 500 and BND - Vanguard total bond) have been removed from the commission free ETF list.

I planned and planned and planned, but looks like my plans fell apart in only a week.. :oops: :oops: :oops:
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

Any suggestions for a VTI replacement?

Edit: Here is a list of the new funds:

https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_ ... 000835.pdf
avalpert

Post by avalpert »

serbeer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 am I just sent message to TDA telling them how disappointed and annoyed with this change I am. I think everyone who uses TDA and does not like this change should let them know.

Simply put, this change makes TDA non-competitive in the area of comission-free ETF trading and will force my household to move away to another brokerage -- doing what multi-thousand dollar bonuses offered by some of these other brockerages failed to do over the years.
I got to tell you - this doesn't sound like a rational reaction at all. You passed on multi-thousand dollar bonuses, but having to pay 6.95/trade is what puts you over the top (and you don't even have to do that, their new list does contain comparable low cost funds). How many trades a year are you making? Does this seem financially consistent to you?
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I can't believe how many people are dumping VTI for a $6.95 commission. I'd rather have VTI and pay a commission than some thinly-traded ETF that may fold at any time, has a much larger bid:ask spread, and isn't run by a company like Vanguard.

Plus, I hear you can get a few free trades by calling and complaining. I can milk a handful of free trades for a very long time given how seldom I trade in my HSA.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

avalpert wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:47 am
serbeer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 am I just sent message to TDA telling them how disappointed and annoyed with this change I am. I think everyone who uses TDA and does not like this change should let them know.

I got to tell you - this doesn't sound like a rational reaction at all. You passed on multi-thousand dollar bonuses, but having to pay 6.95/trade is what puts you over the top (and you don't even have to do that, their new list does contain comparable low cost funds). How many trades a year are you making? Does this seem financially consistent to you?
It is only seems inconsistent if you a kind of person who tries to maximize profit no matter what, and ignoring effort involved and taxes one has to pay on the bonuses in the profit. So, if one chases every credit card and checking account opening bonus available, feels fine about re-learning procedures involved into things like annual Roth Conversions at a particular brokerages, and does not have 40%+ tax rate on income that sends half of every bonus to uncle Sam, then yes, ignoring brokerage bonuses would be financially inconsistent. Btw I am not saying I have any or all of these things in my life, just using it as an example.

Even then, it is only inconsistent financially. Loylty is not an empty word to me, I do stay with companies that are doing the right things by me and Ameritrade was consistently getting better, not worse before this change.

Finally, I do lots of dividend re-investment in multiple accounts and rebalance with new money all the time, not to mention TLH. It will get pricy very fast if every trade is $7. There is no point in using low-cost ETFs if you pay $7 per trade, as even $10K trade will double ER of the low-cost ETF and I tend to reinvest and in smaller increments, would be trippling the ER. It adds up over the years to much more than a couple of thousands of dollars and adds up fast.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Well, my simple email was sent saying I'm sad that they did this and that money destined to go into more VTI shares will now go to Schwab to buy SCHB. I decided that was a good enough message.

My son has a Roth there with 1 share of VTI. I had him send a message asking what free ETF he can move to that's less than 0.05% ER, in equity and with decent volume.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
delrinson

Post by delrinson »

Yes, mildly frustrating. I am largely invested in Vanguard ETFs, several of which have been commission free. I think the only thing that will change for me is no longer investing small amounts in additional shares...I'll need to find some new commission-free ETFs but will certainly stick with Ameritrade.
greenhill

Post by greenhill »

TDA is one of the most popular brokerage firm for non-resident alien bogleheads because they cannot open a brokerage account at Vanguard, and TDA is the only brokerage firm which offer a relatively complete list of commission-free ETFs with low ER and high volume.
The trading volume of most of the new ETFs are just pathetic. Some of the old ETFs, like VEA, do not even have a similar one to replace it. At $6.95, I doubt if many NRAs will opt to open an account at TDA in the future.
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

It's very annoying to have them swapping out funds, especially for those using this for taxable investments. Since I only use them for my HSA, it's not a big deal to sell and re-buy a comparable Total Market and Total Bond -- but still I don't like it. On the plus side, they are getting rid of the short-term trading fee.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

serbeer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 amBtw, I sure many people on this board done in-kind account tranfers before, so what happens to all the account history, including cost basis. Does any of it moves as well, or must I save years-worth of account statements and calculate the basis myself after the move?
It should all move seamlessly to your new broker. I have done transfers from TDAmeritrade before.

I would save all the output from GainsKeeper at TDAmeritrade just in case.

At TDAmeritrade there are no transfer-out fees for Apex-level clients.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
michaeljc70

TD Ameritrade - changes in free ETF options

Post by michaeljc70 »

I received an email today stating that TD was expanding their list of no-fee ETFs. Unfortunately, they are changing the existing options too and eliminating the ~30 Vanguard ETFs from the no-fee list.

My IRA is there and I have 4 Vanguard ETFs there. I have dividends reinvested and only add dollars once a year (if that), so it won't seriously affect me.

I was wondering if anyone else explored if there were low cost comparable funds on the new list (list I got only contains names and tickers) or if they will be moving their account based on this. I think ETF trades are $5 for most, so maybe not a big enough fee to be worried about. I basically have the Total Bond, TSM, Total Intl, and Total Bond Intl ETFs.

[merged into this topic --moderator triceratop]
livesoft

Re: TD Ameritrade - changes in free ETF options

Post by livesoft »

duplicate thread. There are 2 other threads discussing TDAmeritrade right now.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Pippen_001

Post by Pippen_001 »

The new list is on their site. VTI is still included in the commission free ETFs.

If they remove this ETF, I will contact them and let them know how displeasured I am. This coming from a NRA.
airelleofmusic

Post by airelleofmusic »

Also so disappointed about the email I just received... Have been using TDA (foreign investor) for years only with 3 ETFs VEU, IVV, AGG and now I am so disgusted...
Going to complain about this new "rule" and ask for free trades or I should consider moving my funds...
LBYM and enjoy life ! Thanks BH !
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Pippen_001 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 am The new list is on their site. VTI is still included in the commission free ETFs.

If they remove this ETF, I will contact them and let them know how displeasured I am. This coming from a NRA.
VTI and the other Vanguard funds will be removed after November 20. They're sending out email notices to customers today. I received my notice within the last hour.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

So are there any funds in here that are worth replacing the Vanguard funds for a 3 fund portfolio?