"Simplify Your Investment Plan" -- Morningstar

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Simplify Your Investment Plan" -- Morningstar

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Bogleheads:

Christine Benz is Morningstar's Director of Personal Finance. She has written an excellent article about the importance of Simplicity (see my link below the window) and taking time to clear out portfolio 'clutter' which can pay dividends many times over. She included this statement:
"The Bogleheads' Three-Fund Portfolio is the ultimate in elegant minimalism."

This is a link to the full article: Simplify Your Investment Plan

Thank you, Christine!

Note: Christine Benz will be on our Panel of Experts at next week's Boglehead Conference.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

GoldenFinch

Re: "Simplify Your Investment Plan" -- Morningstar

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Thank you for the link! I have been simplifying, but still have more work to do.

BlackStrat

Post by BlackStrat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm a simple man without a simple plan!

thanks for the food for thought!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Excellent article reinforcing timeless adherence to basics.
Thanks Taylor.
j

Post by 2015 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Taylor, your contributions are always priceless and I am always most grateful for them.

OTOH, this is probably the only place in the entire world where I do not utilize the concept of simplicity. I do so because when I reach a conclusion it's often after fairly extensive research. Major revisions to my investment plan occur rarely, and only then when dramatic new information is discovered (as was the case when I transitioned to a 3 fund PF, and again recently when I discovered VPW). In reviewing my ISP, I like to be able to go back and quickly and efficiently understand my own thinking and rationale behind decisions I've made. Thus, IIRC, my ISP is around 8 pages long (admittedly, it could probably use a few pages of paring at this point).

I generally find complexity in a complex adaptive systems world dangerous, both in thinking and in practice. You might say the complexity of my longer ISP leads to the simplicity of not having to resurrect rationale behind choices made. :wink:

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Thus, IIRC, my ISP is around 8 pages long (admittedly, it could probably use a few pages of paring at this point).
2015:

For what it's worth, I stay-the-course with my broad market index funds and feel no need for an IPS (Investment Policy Statement).

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle