Vanguard Brokerage Accounts

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Vanguard Brokerage Accounts

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 am

Bogleheads -

I have a few questions related to the Vanguard Brokerage Accounts otherwise known as the "upgrade" that is noted on the website.

Overall
How has the new brokerage accounts worked for you? Do you like them better than mutual fund accounts?

Dividend Income & Fractional Shares
Does a brokerage account hold fractional shares? Are they reinvested to deposited to a money market settlement fund?

Tax Reporting
How is the Form 1099 process? Is cost basis still provided? Are there errors?

Account Statements
Is a year to date statement provided with all transaction noted or only a quarterly statement?

Any information and feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by abuss368 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

Doc

Re: Vanguard Brokerage Accounts

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 am

Overall: Worked very well after initial glitches resolved. (I was one of the early converts. Others should have fewer problems.)

Dividend Income & Fractional Shares: Fractional shares OK at least for mutual funds. Can reinvest dividends in same fund or settlement account.

Tax Reporting: There have been some errors for unusual transactions - wash sales for multiple lots lacks adjusted open date on website at least; OID for TIPS and ABP for other bonds is a "work in progress".

edit: The tax reporting issues are the result of IRS reporting requirements and have nothing to do with the brokerage account being "new". It's the new rules themselves that are the issue.
Last edited by Doc on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 am

Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 am
Overall: Worked very well after initial glitches resolved. (I was one of the early converts. Others should have fewer problems.)

Dividend Income & Fractional Shares: Fractional shares OK at least for mutual funds. Can reinvest dividends in same fund or settlement account.

Tax Reporting: There have been some errors for unusual transactions - wash sales for multiple lots lacks adjusted open date on website at least; OID for TIPS and ABP for other bonds is a "work in progress".
Hi Doc -

Thank you for the response. I had one additional question: Is a year to date statement provided with all transaction noted or only a quarterly statement?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 am

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 am
Bogleheads -

I have a few questions related to the Vanguard Brokerage Accounts otherwise known as the "upgrade" that is noted on the website.

Overall
How has the new brokerage accounts worked for you? Do you like them better than mutual fund accounts?

Does a brokerage account hold fractional shares? Are they reinvested to deposited to a money market settlement fund?

Tax Reporting

We only have 403b and IRA accounts at Vanguard, so I can't speak about any taxable issues.
And we haven't used any stocks or ETF's in ages, just mutual funds, so I can't compare before and after for anything other than mutual funds.

Perhaps it's because we only have mutual funds, but to us, in both IRA and 403b accounts, it seemed like a big nothing. If anything, it was better... ALL of the mutual funds are now in the same list, rather than being separated with some Vanguard mutual funds in one place, and other fund family funds in a different list. It makes more sense to have them all listed together.

One oddity that remains in the 403b (after the change) is that to purchase a *Vanguard* mutual fund, one must use the drop down menu and select "trade NON-Vanguard funds via FundAccess". At first glance, it appeared there was no way to purchase a Vanguard mutual fund (!)
The choice to sell or exchange (to purchase) Vanguard funds that shows for the IRA's doesn't show for 403b accounts.

We didn't spend too many years with Vanguard before the change, so perhaps we never realized how some of it "worked" before, but it all makes good sense now, except for the odd prompt one must select in the 403b to purchase a new *Vanguard* mutual fund. (We found the old "separation" of Vanguard mutual funds and other fund family funds to be a bit odd, something that hadn't occurred elsewhere.)

Fractional shares are used as needed for reinvesting.
There ARE a occasional obvious/absurd errors in the "Cost Basis" online page. But because these are all tax-deferred accounts, I don't know what "would have happened" had the accounts been taxable. That is definitely worrisome.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:34 am

Now you're making me work. The bill is in the mail. :D

All transactions for the year on the composite. I don't ever look at them in general since I download to Quicken weekly and download 1099-B data to Turbotax using a .TXF file. (I did get two corrected composites for one account due to the new reporting requirements.)

Please note that I added something to my previous post.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:42 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 am
One oddity that remains in the 403b (after the change) is that to purchase a *Vanguard* mutual fund, one must use the drop down menu and select "trade NON-Vanguard funds via FundAccess". At first glance, it appeared there was no way to purchase a Vanguard mutual fund (!)
The choice to sell or exchange (to purchase) Vanguard funds that shows for the IRA's doesn't show for 403b accounts.
"The choice to sell or exchange (to purchase) Vanguard funds that shows for the IRA's" is there for ROTH Vanguard IRA's and taxable accounts. I don't know anything about 403B's and we don't have a tIRA at Vg. However having 401B's different from other type retirement accounts seem to exist for several providers not just Vg.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 am

Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:42 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 am
"The choice to sell or exchange (to purchase) Vanguard funds that shows for the IRA's" is there for ROTH Vanguard IRA's and taxable accounts. I don't know anything about 403B's and we don't have a tIRA at Vg. However having 401B's different from other type retirement accounts seem to exist for several providers not just Vg.
Our 403b screens do not show any choice for "Roths", as those are not available in our plan.

The odd "menu choice" that I quoted is for ANY purchase of a new mutual fund within the 403b brokerage account, from Vanguard or any other fund family.
For existing mutual funds, one can instead just click on the "buy" button (next to the "sell" button"), on the same line as the fund name.

In the IRA accounts (plain tIRA accounts only for us), there is a place in the drop down menu for "Vanguard" funds, something that does not exist in the 403b section.

RM

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 am
Our 403b screens do not show any choice for "Roths", as those are not available in our plan.

The odd "menu choice" that I quoted is for ANY purchase of a new mutual fund within the 403b brokerage account, from Vanguard or any other fund family.
For existing mutual funds, one can instead just click on the "buy" button (next to the "sell" button"), on the same line as the fund name.

In the IRA accounts (plain tIRA accounts only for us), there is a place in the drop down menu for "Vanguard" funds, something that does not exist in the 403b section
I am addressing (ROTH) IRA's and taxable accounts at Vanguard brokerage service and there is the "normal" dropdown to buy/sell VG mutual funds. You are addressing a 403B which is an employer plan. Often employer plans have different "thingy's" than an individual retirement account at the same broker. This come about I think because the employer has different rules that they want us peons to follow.

So in the case at hand what you are seeing is probably related to your employer not to Vanguard brokerage service perse.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 am

In the IRA accounts (plain tIRA accounts only for us), there is a place in the drop down menu for "Vanguard" funds, something that does not exist in the 403b section
I am addressing (ROTH) IRA's and taxable accounts at Vanguard brokerage service and there is the "normal" dropdown to buy/sell VG mutual funds. You are addressing a 403B which is an employer plan. Often employer plans have different "thingy's" than an individual retirement account at the same broker. This come about I think because the employer has different rules that they want us peons to follow.

So in the case at hand what you are seeing is probably related to your employer not to Vanguard brokerage service perse.
Well, that would make sense, IF it made sense. But it doesn't.

It's not "customized" like that.
We still have prompts for purchasing ETF's, which are not allowed. Ditto individual stocks, or even options!
(And there's nothing "special" showing that is peculiar to "our" 403b only, or even to 403b's in general, only.)

The actual tIRA choices are similar, but just formatted very differently - but at least there is an explicit choice to "buy a Vanguard mutual fund", which is reasonably sensible... for an account *at* Vanguard :annoyed

Since they (Vanguard) are *not* "customizing" for specific client plans (which makes sense for many reasons, most of them named $$$), why not have one "platform" for all [unless there is indeed some type of account that is *so* special that an entirely different view is necessary]?
There is nothing "special" in the view/menu that is required by Employer; it's the opposite situation. There are lots of choices that we can't "use" due to restrictions, and I don't have a problem with that.
The problem is having something simple (purchasing a Vanguard mutual fund at Vanguard) that doesn't seem to have any way to 'select" that.

I thought the entire point of the new "Brokerage" setup was to make less expensive for Vanguard, including - presumably - easier for Customer "Service". If there was only one "platform view" on the client end, then the Reps might be more likely not to say, "That NOT what you are seeing!! It says <insert wrong information, at least for *our* plan, which is the only thing I'm looking at then>!!!"

If they are going to include choices that don't apply anyway, why not have the same appearance for all accounts?
But that's back to Vanguard [non]service, which is definitely an example of "you get what you pay for".
And for most things, it's GREAT to pay less. But when there is a problem... even a simple question can get totally messed up.
(It's a good thing they really do record their calls. That has allowed us to recover and be made whole from mistakes Vanguard reps have made. Less frequently, it was a software error, but the Rep was "helpful" nevertheless by declaring the problem "impossible"... Grrrr.)

RM

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:57 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Bogleheads -

Overall

Tax Reporting

Account Statements
Is a year to date statement provided with all transaction noted or only a quarterly statement?

I like the combined brokerage accounts. I would not be a direct Vanguard customer under the old structure. I can rebalance between ETF and mutual funds on the same day in both taxable and retirement accounts.

You can hold fractional shares of any mutual fund, any Vanguard ETF, and many widely-traded stocks and ETFs. You can't buy fractional shares of ETFs and stocks outright, but you can reinvest dividends of eligible ETFs and stocks.

Cost basis is tracked in taxable accounts and provided for sales on a combined 1099. I haven't had any errors, but our taxable account is pretty straightforward. We haven't done anything complicated. All of our mutual-fund-to-ETF-conversions and things like that have been inside (Roth) IRAs. They track cost inside retirement accounts on an Average Cost basis. You can choose Specific ID in a taxable account.

We get monthly statements for every account with any activity and quarterly statements otherwise. We do not receive a comprehensive year-end statement.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:09 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:48 pm

We still have prompts for purchasing ETF's, which are not allowed. Ditto individual stocks, or even options!
(And there's nothing "special" showing that is peculiar to "our" 403b only, or even to 403b's in general, only.
This is getting very screwy. I think I'm seeing something different from jhfenton also. (Later.)

On the drop down question:

For Taxable:

And for the ROTH:

Is this different from what you are seeing?

sandramjet

Post by sandramjet » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:18 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Bogleheads -

Overall

Tax Reporting

Account Statements

I didn't have any problems...do I like them better than MF accounts? Well, yes since now I have one place to see both MF, ETF's, etc. but it's not really a very strong preference, since I still have to do things like go to a separate page for 529 plans even though they show up on the brokerage pages. So its not like it is all in "one" place really
I don't have any fractional shares, so I don't know about that.
1099 is same as at any other brokerages... at some point they tell you there's a 1099 available. shows cost basis, etc. Is it right? So far it has been.
I have monthly statements and year to date statement in December

Basically, I've not had any problems. That being said, the interface is hardly modern, easy to use or as nice as other brokerage houses I've had exposure to.... but it was the same before the upgrade!

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:57 pm
We get monthly statements for every account with any activity and quarterly statements otherwise. We do not receive a comprehensive year-end statement.
Maybe we are addressing two different things. The "1099_Consolidated_v2016" tax form has detailed income including Dividends, Interest and Capital Gains for the year but not purchases that weren't sold. There is not a report showing all transactions for the entire year. The transaction reports for brokerage are monthly and show detail only for that month but also show a YTD summary of income.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:09 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:48 pm

(And there's nothing "special" showing that is peculiar to "our" 403b only, or even to 403b's in general, only.
This is getting very screwy. I think I'm seeing something different from jhfenton also. (Later.)

On the drop down question:

For Taxable:

And for the ROTH:

Is this different from what you are seeing?
Yup.
In the tIRA, it looks like that, like in your "taxable" display.
But for the 403b, those first 3 lines just are not there.
The "bottom" 5 lines are all that show, and they show exactly the same as what you pasted in.
(The last two lines don't exist either. We can't contribute or withdraw to/from an IRA to the 403b. But IF they were there, it could just "not allow it", like if we try to click on buy stocks or options or CD's, etc. Simple enough. Or should be.)

One *must* click on "Trade non-Vanguard funds via FundAccess" to purchase a new VANGUARD mutual fund.
(If one wants to purchase *more* of a Vanguard fund one already holds, then one can just click the "buy" button at the far right of the line where the existing fund is listed, with the balance.)

Why in the world don't they just include those top 3 lines?
As it is, we aren't allow to purchase stocks or options or such, yet those lines remain visible...

RM

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:23 pm
One *must* click on "Trade non-Vanguard funds via FundAccess" to purchase a new VANGUARD mutual fund.
(If one wants to purchase *more* of a Vanguard fund one already holds, then one can just click the "buy" button at the far right of the line where the existing fund is listed, with the balance.)
Can you buy admiral shares or just investor shares? I have seen some post that imply that you cannot buy admiral shares in some employer retirement accounts.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:49 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Account Statements

I upgraded a Roth IRA in 2016. My year-end statement which is labelled "YTD" in several places for the brokerage account only shows transaction from the last quarter and not from the previous quarter even though the account was upgraded before then. That's a FAIL. The transactions are all found in the Transactions tab, but not in the statement labelled as Year-End Statement.

I don't know if Vanguard will have its act together for 2017, but I doubt it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:24 pm

Bogleheads -

When I previously talked with a Vanguard Client Representative, I asked if eventually all clients will be converted on one platform. The answer was "yes" at some point in the future. I would suspect it is a lower cost to manage one platform.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:49 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Account Statements

I upgraded a Roth IRA in 2016. My year-end statement which is labelled "YTD" in several places for the brokerage account only shows transaction from the last quarter and not from the previous quarter even though the account was upgraded before then. That's a FAIL. The transactions are all found in the Transactions tab, but not in the statement labelled as Year-End Statement.

Weird. Our December 2016 "December 31, 2016, year-to-date statement" has transaction information only for December 2016 not for the whole quarter.

I seem to remember getting quarterly statements in the past. I think these were for our mutual fund accounts. When we switched to the brokerage platform all the prior info got transferred.

Ah ha? There's something weird going on. Prior to conversion I was getting quarterly statements for my ROTH mutual fund account. After converting they became monthly but if I go back to pre conversion there are quarterly statements labeled brokerage that contain all the data from when it was mutual fund only account.

I cannot explain any of this.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:32 pm

livesoft wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
Account Statements

Hi livesoft -

Thanks! That was my concern. A family member open a new account for the first time a little over a year ago, so the only option was the new brokerage accounts. The year to date statement option was request and is labeled on the statement. However, the transactions for the last quarter are only noted. I preferred one simple annual statement that reported all transactions.

Best.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:49 pm

This statement screw-up is why I have not upgraded my Vanguard taxable account and why I will not contribute any more money to my Vanguard taxable account (except to test things for bogleheads.org). Vanguard is simply not a real brokerage compared to my other financial institutions.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:06 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:49 pm
This statement screw-up is why I have not upgraded my Vanguard taxable account and why I will not contribute any more money to my Vanguard taxable account (except to test things for bogleheads.org). Vanguard is simply not a real brokerage compared to my other financial institutions.
Hi livesoft -

Hopefully you communicated your displeasure and provided feedback to Vanguard. Critical feedback from clients and Bogleheads may be valuable to Vanguard and hopefully will continue to improve services.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:11 pm

I did send Vanguard a message and called them. The response was underwhelming as in "Things are working properly."

In other news, WellsTrade fixed their new (circa 2016) interface based on specific suggestions that I (and probably others) gave them and announced the fixes today. They are a real brokerage.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:42 pm

livesoft wrote:
livesoft please clarify.

Is the YTD data summary incorrect or is it just that the transactions detail from prior periods not delineated?

In looking back to 2014 when we converted there may be some discrepancy on the November statement. But the data on the 1099 omnibus statement is correct for that year and it has been correct for 2015 and 2016 also except for minor discrepancies perhaps in ABP and OID.

My November 2014 statement clearly says " November 30, 2014, monthly transaction statement".

The December 2016 statement says "December 31, 2016, year-to-date statement" but the November 2016 statement says "November 30, 2016, monthly transaction statement".

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:42 pm
livesoft please clarify.
1. No transactions prior to the account upgrade are shown in the December Year-to-date statement.

2. The 12/31/2016 statement shows Year-to-date income for 2 quarters:

3. Only the December transaction is shown. The September transaction not shown. I have not shown the Transactions section in the figure above. The $88.07 is for the re-invested dividends in December and September. The $48.55 is the December re-invested dividend amount.

4. Information about the March and June transactions are found in the March and June quarterly statements. Conversion was in August and there is an August monthly statement.

5. So to fully reconstruct what has happened in this account I need to save March, June, August, September, and December 2016 statements.

6. My account is a Roth IRA and has no 1099-B nor 1099-DIV nor consolidated 1099.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm
1. No transactions prior to the account upgrade are shown in the December Year-to-date statement.
Right. But it's not just "prior to the upgrade" it's prior to the period of the statement.
5. So to fully reconstruct what has happened in this account I need to save March, June, August, September, and December 2016 statements.
Wrong.

The problem is the term "statement". Vg is reporting YTD totals and transactions for the period of the statement which is now monthly but at one time was quarterly. Except for the 1 or 3 month period I don't think this is any different from what it was on the mutual only platform. (Since all my pre conversion statements have been converted to the brokerage platform I can no longer confirm this.)

If you need income transactions for the entire year that data is on the 1099 composite.

If you need all types of transactions for the entire year not just the income you need to go to the website on the transaction history tab, specify the year needed and punch the <print> tab at the top right. Print to PDF is that serves your need. Alternatively punch the <download> tab and save to Quicken, Microsoft Money or spreadsheet compatible CSV file.

This should not be an issue. The data is there and readily available. Only the name "statement" has been changed to confuse the masses.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:19 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:24 pm
Bogleheads -

When I previously talked with a Vanguard Client Representative, I asked if eventually all clients will be converted on one platform. The answer was "yes" at some point in the future. I would suspect it is a lower cost to manage one platform.
After reading this thread, I think that I'll wait until "some point in the future" arrives.

DMW

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:20 pm

How right you are, Doc. I need to use Custom Date Range to specify the year to get the transactions for the year I am interested in. :)

I looked at my not-upgraded taxable account Year-to-Date statement and it does show the 4 separate quarterly dividends with the amounts and dates they were paid. Those were all the transactions for the entire year 2016. That is different from my Brokerage Account Roth.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:34 am

Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 pm
jhfenton wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:57 pm
Maybe we are addressing two different things. The "1099_Consolidated_v2016" tax form has detailed income including Dividends, Interest and Capital Gains for the year but not purchases that weren't sold. There is not a report showing all transactions for the entire year. The transaction reports for brokerage are monthly and show detail only for that month but also show a YTD summary of income.
Agreed on all counts. :beer

I wasn't specifically responding to anything you wrote, just trying to answer the original question. I can imagine a broker providing a year-end statement with all transactions for the year, much as most credit card companies now do. But I have only used two brokers in my life (TD Ameritrade and Vanguard), and neither has provided a comprehensive year-end statement of all transactions. As it is, I just download and save the monthly PDF statements.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 am

jhfenton wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:34 am
As it is, I just download and save the monthly PDF statements.
I use Quicken and download transactions once a week usually on weekends so there is no closing date issues - 4 banking accounts and 7 brokerage accounts. I reconcile about monthly. I have no need to look at any statements at all except for Mrs. Doc's credit card which she uses to review the monthly transactions.

As a result of using Quicken I don't see the need for saving monthly statements. What is your reasoning?

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:15 am

Main difference I have noticed is that now when a dividend is transferred to my bank account I get an e-mail notifying me of a "brokerage transaction." Kind of scared me the first time since I hadn't made any transactions.

Like Livesoft I currently do not transact at Vanguard--I just collect dividends and transfer that money to my other brokerage accounts. But my unhappiness went back to when I had a mutual fund account, so that is not a comment on the new combined setup.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:22 am

jhfenton wrote:
... I have only used two brokers in my life (TD Ameritrade and Vanguard), and neither has provided a comprehensive year-end statement of all transactions.
At least TDAmeritrade doesn't make any pretext about the December statements since there is no "year-to-date" in the footers, but there is plenty of "For the period 12/01/xxxx to 12/31/xxxx."

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 am

I use Quicken and download transactions once a week usually on weekends so there is no closing date issues - 4 banking accounts and 7 brokerage accounts. I reconcile about monthly. I have no need to look at any statements at all except for Mrs. Doc's credit card which she uses to review the monthly transactions.

As a result of using Quicken I don't see the need for saving monthly statements. What is your reasoning?
Hi Doc -

Historically we have saved an Adobe PDF copy of the year end statement only. The year end statement for our mutual fund accounts provided all transaction detail so there was no need to save the statements issued during the remaining quarters. I would like to see Vanguard offer this for the brokerage platform before we eventually have no choice but to "upgrade".

As a side note, I have to ask: 4 bank accounts and 7 brokerage accounts! Is that not a lot to manage and reconcile? We recently closed our savings account for the first time ever and moved some things around. Down to 1 bank account and 5 retirement accounts (i.e. one is an employer plan which someday will be moved and consolidated at Vanguard).

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:06 pm

stlutz wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:15 am
Main difference I have noticed is that now when a dividend is transferred to my bank account I get an e-mail notifying me of a "brokerage transaction." Kind of scared me the first time since I hadn't made any transactions.
Hi stlutz -

We have signed up for all of the Vanguard security features. One new feature is that we now receive both an email and a text with any account activity.

Best.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 pm
... 7 brokerage accounts! Is that not a lot to manage and reconcile?
7 sounds OK, after all, married bogleheads are REQUIRED to have:
401k/IRA Spouse 1
Roth IRA Spouse 1
inherited IRA Spouse 1
same 3 accounts for Spouse 2
Joint taxable account,

That's 7 accounts minimum and I can add more: 529 plans, side job retirement account, HSA, ....

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:55 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Historically we have saved an Adobe PDF copy of the year end statement only. The year end statement for our mutual fund accounts provided all transaction detail so there was no need to save the statements issued during the remaining quarters. I would like to see Vanguard offer this for the brokerage platform before we eventually have no choice but to "upgrade".
You can print and/or save as a PDF all the transaction detail now for any time period up to ten years on the "new" brokerage platform. The annual income is also available on the 1099 composite now.
Doc wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm
If you need income transactions for the entire year that data is on the 1099 composite.

If you need all types of transactions for the entire year not just the income you need to go to the website on the transaction history tab, specify the year needed and punch the <print> tab at the top right. Print to PDF is that serves your need. Alternatively punch the <download> tab and save to Quicken, Microsoft Money or spreadsheet compatible CSV file.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 pm
abuss368 wrote:
401k/IRA Spouse 1
Roth IRA Spouse 1
inherited IRA Spouse 1
Joint taxable account,

That's 7 accounts minimum and I can add more: 529 plans, side job retirement account, HSA, ....
Uh oh.

We fail these REQUIREMENTS. :(

Please help: How do we each arrange to get the "inherited IRA"?
Can't wait to get a pair of these! :D
Where do we sign?

RM

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:35 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 pm
Uh oh.

We fail these REQUIREMENTS.

Please help: How do we each arrange to get the "inherited IRA"?
Can't wait to get a pair of these!
Where do we sign?
I don't know where YOU sign but I'm available for adoption. Just PM me and my attorney will draw up the papers.

That said it's easy to get to 7 or more - his,hers,ours x 2 broker's plus an extra retirement account or two because of legacy issues.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Doc wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 am
jhfenton wrote:
As it is, I just download and save the monthly PDF statements.

1. I don't use Quicken. I reconcile my investment spreadsheet with Vanguard daily, but I don't use any third-party software other than Excel.
2. I want a long-term record in case "Mr. Robot" erases Vanguard's records, and I need to validate my ownership of my accounts or recreate my cost basis. They are literally our only record of ownership.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:55 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 pm
abuss368 wrote:
401k/IRA Spouse 1
Roth IRA Spouse 1
inherited IRA Spouse 1
Joint taxable account,

It is unavoidable. We don't and won't have inherited IRA accounts, but we've had the five brokerage, two 529, two 401(k), and HSA. And for a few years after we hit 55 and before we retire, we may have a second HSA for my wife's catch-up contributions. (We'll probably just contribute and then spend that one, though.)

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:45 pm
2. I want a long-term record in case "Mr. Robot" erases Vanguard's records, and I need to validate my ownership of my accounts or recreate my cost basis. They are literally our only record of ownership.
I keep the statements and confirmations. That is the only official record I have. I do use quicken to track the basis for taxable accounts but I keep the confirmations because the IRS doesn't really give a hoot about my quicken file. If they ever audit schedule D they will want to see something official. Theoretically they should accept VG records for covered shares but that is only a part of the account.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Re keeping copies of brokerage records JIC. If the IRS challenges your return and will not accept your brokerage records then they must use the brokers records to challenge your records but since your records agree with the broker since you recorded the brokers records using Q or some other mechanism then your records and the brokers are in agreement. Catch 22 for the IRS. :)

If you feel better keeping monthly copies of brokerage statements that's okay but I think it's overkill.

Nahtanoj

Post by Nahtanoj » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:33 am

In case anyone from Vanguard is reading this, I am another customer who has declined the “upgrade” for the reasons outlined above: the mutual fund accounts give you a single year-end statement that includes all activity for the year. That means you can throw away all of the previous statements and confirmations you received during the year.

The brokerage account doesn’t work that way, so you have to keep all the interim statements if you want to have a complete, hard-copy record of your account activity. As a result, switching to the brokerage account represents a downgrade for someone like me.

I have mentioned this issue to Vanguard on the phone, but it was not clear they even registered my concern as an issue.

Interesting to learn there is a way to go on the website and ask it to print out the transaction data for a specified period, account-by-account, and I will look into that. But it would be preferable to just get a statement at the end of the year that includes all activity for the year to date.

dkview

Post by dkview » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Will changing from a Roth IRA mutual fund account to a brokerage account allow me to buy and sell individual stocks? I haven't switch over yet.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Nahtanoj wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:33 am
In case anyone from Vanguard is reading this, I am another customer who has declined the “upgrade” for the reasons outlined above: the mutual fund accounts give you a single year-end statement that includes all activity for the year. That means you can throw away all of the previous statements and confirmations you received during the year.

The brokerage account doesn’t work that way, so you have to keep all the interim statements if you want to have a complete, hard-copy record of your account activity. As a result, switching to the brokerage account represents a downgrade for someone like me.

I have mentioned this issue to Vanguard on the phone, but it was not clear they even registered my concern as an issue.

Interesting to learn there is a way to go on the website and ask it to print out the transaction data for a specified period, account-by-account, and I will look into that. But it would be preferable to just get a statement at the end of the year that includes all activity for the year to date.
Go to: "Download account information"

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/OfxWelcome

In step 1" choose "A spreadsheet-compatible CVS file"

Fill out the rest of the choices which include the time frame of your choosing.

Enjoy.

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:16 pm

dkview wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Will changing from a Roth IRA mutual fund account to a brokerage account allow me to buy and sell individual stocks? I haven't switch over yet.
Yes, stocks and bonds can bought and sold in the brokerage account that is established by doing an upgrade from a Vanguard mutual fund only account. The Your Vanguard Brokerage Acccount document contains additional information.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:18 pm

dkview wrote:
I would expect that you would be able to as a brokerage account typically allows the purchase of individual stocks and bonds. I would recommend however reviewing Vanguard's documentation on their website or contacting client services to answer your questions.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:27 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:18 pm
dkview wrote:
I would expect that you would be able to as a brokerage account typically allows the purchase of individual stocks and bonds. I would recommend however reviewing Vanguard's documentation on their website or contacting client services to answer your questions.
Your expectations are correct.

This is the heading for the online trade an ETF or stock order form:
Vg Brokerage wrote:Trade an ETF or stock ...

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Now only if Vanguard would update the account statements to provide a year to date statement listing all transactions for the year. One could then print the year end final statement and have a full accounting for the year.

I know Mel had mentioned that he mentioned this to Vanguard.

Fishing50

Post by Fishing50 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 am

2018 anther Vanguard Year-to-Date Staement with only December activity listed.
Very Frustrating...
It's perfectly legal, go ask the IRS, they'll say the same thing. I actually feel stupid telling you this, I'm sure you would've investigated the matter yourself. Andy Dufresne

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:26 pm
Now only if Vanguard would update the account statements to provide a year to date statement listing all transactions for the year. One could then print the year end final statement and have a full accounting for the year.

I know Mel had mentioned that he mentioned this to Vanguard.
I really do not want a whole years transactions on some piece of paper. I download to Quicken weekly and I can download a whole years transactions in many formats if I want some other method of saving them. If you insist on paper you can always print your downloaded data.