Warren Buffett Books

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Warren Buffett Books

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi Bogleheads -

Has anyone read the following books:

1) The Snowball
2) Tap Dancing to Work
3) Buffett - The Making of an American Capitalist

If so, what are your thoughts and perspectives?

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Warren Buffett Books

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:55 pm

I wanted to add that The Snowball is over 900 pages!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

TheAncientOne

Post by TheAncientOne » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Snowball gives you a much better idea of who he is personally. Kind of a weird person actually but that doesn't change his brilliance or his impact on other investors. After giving Alice Schroeder full access to himself and to his friends, I understand he was very unhappy about the book (especially the parts about his first wife) and does not speak to her any more.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:58 am

The Making of An American Capitalist is best for understanding his approach to business and investing. Snowball is pretty exhausting and goes into great detail on his personality characteristics. It's also fun to read the collection of annual letters to shareholders that are free online at the BRKA website.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:52 pm

I m afraid based on the minimal responses that books about Warren Buffett may not be popular or on the must read list.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:38 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:52 pm
I m afraid based on the minimal responses that books about Warren Buffett may not be popular or on the must read list.
I have read a bit about Buffett and also selections of his stock holder meeting notes. I think Mr. Buffett is an amazing man and reading about him is fascinating. I think there is much to admire about him, and probably also some clay in his feet somewhere. I think Mr. Buffett and everything about him is nearly irrelevant to the needs of the typical individual trying to figure out a financial plan and how to invest. That certainly extends to the infamous 90% S&P 500 comment. (That doesn't mean that a person following that advice is absolutely making a mistake. It could be a valid plan for some people.)

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:50 pm

abuss368 wrote:
There have been threads touching on the books, especially "Snowball" and "Capitalist." I've read both and they are excellent. I would read "Capitalist" first, then the other for greater personal detail. Buffett, btw, did not like either bio and that's probably a good sign. And FWIW, my "Snowball" paperback is just over 700 words, not counting notes, acknowledgements, etc.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Phil DeMuth

Post by Phil DeMuth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:47 am

The Lowenstein bio is the best. Then I would read "The Essays of Warren Buffett" by that professor who edits his letters by topic.

You can be an A+ Boglehead investor without reading a word of Buffett. That said, he is an investing god.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Phil DeMuth wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:47 am
The Lowenstein bio is the best. Then I would read "The Essays of Warren Buffett" by that professor who edits his letters by topic.

You can be an A+ Boglehead investor without reading a word of Buffett. That said, he is an investing god.
Thanks!

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 am

I read "The Snowball" and considering that I finished the book, I must have enjoyed it.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 pm

I started to read “Tap Dancing to Work” which is a collection of articles from Fortune magazine going back to around the 1960s. Thus far it is dry and not doing it for me. I may donate to the library and focus on Lowenstein and The Snowball as they cover both the personal and business.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 am

Read #3. . twice.
Enjoyed it tremendously. Love reading real life success stories.
Perused the other two but they did not "read" as well so returned them.
J

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:00 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 am
Read #3. . twice.
Enjoyed it tremendously. Love reading real life success stories.
Perused the other two but they did not "read" as well so returned them.
J
Thanks! I have The Making of an American Capitalist and I agree that it was very good.

Tap Dancing just is not doing it!

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 am

abuss368 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:30 pm
Hi Bogleheads -

Has anyone read the following books:

1) The Snowball
2) Tap Dancing to Work
3) Buffett - The Making of an American Capitalist

If so, what are your thoughts and perspectives?

Best.
I've read The Snowball and Buffett - The Making of an American Capitalist. A lot of "repeat stories" in those books but they give a good picture of his life, I enjoyed them. The books paint a good picture of how obsessed Warren has been with making money nearly his whole life, not just adult life but since childhood.

I'd also wager that many on this board have not read the books (not that it is required reading for anyone), but based upon the many comments like "I don't think Buffett is a good investor, he is just a good business person." His "business" is investing, or as he calls it "capital allocation".

I also have a copy and have read "Essays" but I no longer read that because I had him sign it when I met him while I was in college.
Last edited by knpstr on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

Stryker

Post by Stryker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am

"Buffett - The Making of an American Capitalist" I still have in my home book shelf. Read it at least a couple of times over the years, and of the few books I've read about Buffett, most certainly my favourite.

"Snowball" I borrowed from the library a few years ago and skimmed through it. To be honest it wasn't Buffett I was interested in reading the book for, but about my other investment hero "Walter Schloss". Talk about an underdog, no university education, least likely to succeed. He sure showed them with his cigar butt style of investing. I first read about him in the 1972 book "Super-Money" by Adam Smith. He's gone now, but I just loved the guy.

plantingourpennies

Post by plantingourpennies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:38 am

I read snowball and enjoyed learning about his personal life. To me, I respected him more after knowing a bit more about him as a person.

Have not read the other two, but probably will read #3 at some point.

Have also read all of his yearly letters (including those from his first partnership, pre-Berkshire), and highly recommend them.

They are now available in a single book on Amazon.

plantingourpennies

Post by plantingourpennies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 am

Stryker wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am
"Snowball" I borrowed from the library a few years ago and skimmed through it. To be honest it wasn't Buffett I was interested in reading the book for, but about my other investment hero "Walter Schloss".
Yes! It seems there is a constellation of investors around buffett that would be interesting to read about. Schloss and Munger both come to mind.

Can you let me know of any other books about Schloss?

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am

I'd recommend to people just to read all of his letters, which are available online in simple format from 1977 on. You'll learn more from them than from reading what writers think about him, although it will be a bit less entertaining. Getting to the nub of his approach takes some repetition (in terms of reading), since it really is quite simple in principle. However, as shown by the results of most active managers, simple does not mean that same thing as easy.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html

I recently looked up the performance of Berkshire from years ago, and noted that if I had been thoughtful enough to make an investment in BRK in 1980 or so, I would have about 1,000 times my money in value today. That's rather remarkable considering that Buffett has never ever owned a position in a truly rapidly growing business like technology. Its all been done with investments in companies that were somewhat unremarkable other than their steady earnings performance and growth.

Stryker

Post by Stryker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am

plantingourpennies wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 am
Stryker wrote:
"Snowball" I borrowed from the library a few years ago and skimmed through it. To be honest it wasn't Buffett I was interested in reading the book for, but about my other investment hero "Walter Schloss".
Yes! It seems there is a constellation of investors around buffett that would be interesting to read about. Schloss and Munger both come to mind.

Mostly excerpts from interviews and perhaps a few pages in books.

I should let you know that in Super-Money pages 188-189, Walter Schloss gets tagged with the name Herbert.

"Making Money Out Of Junk" Forbes August 15, 1973

There was a lengthy interview with him and his son (Edwin) in Outstanding Investor Digest. Part 1, March 6, 1989. Part 2 June 23, 1989.

There were a few references to him (found in the book index), then a complete chapter on Walter and Edwin Schloss in "Value Investing" by Bruce Greenwald et al, published 2001.

Experience Forbes January 25, 2008

The Ivey Business School in London, Ontario, Canada has a Ben Graham Center For Value Investing unit.

Back in 2008 they did an interview with Walter Schloss. Here's the PDF transcript. Walter Schloss also gave a talk on value investing to the students on a video. You can find the video on Walter Schloss if you click on 2008.

sparksfly

Post by sparksfly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:57 am

Boglegrappler wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am
I'd recommend to people just to read all of his letters, which are available online in simple format from 1977 on. You'll learn more from them than from reading what writers think about him, although it will be a bit less entertaining.
This. The letters are probably the best insights into his thinking. And, I don't think that they are any less entertaining than any other books about him. It is just amazing how he manages to talk about complex issues with simplicity.

In the book "Essays of Warren Buffet" - these letters are organized by topic with additional footnotes etc and commentary. Another good way to read if that makes more sense.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Bogleheads -

After further effort, I am finding that “Tap Dancing to Work” is a struggle to read. I suspect I will be donating to our local library.

The Making of an American Capitalist was an amazing read. I enjoyed it. I also have The Snowball and have read very good things about it so I am looking forward to that book.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you for a good post.

Post by 2015 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I'd rather read his partner, Charlie Munger. In fact, I already have read a lot of his work, but through other sources. I am still waiting for my library system to get a couple of books from him. Buffet has acknowledged that the philosophical side of Berkshire comes from Munger. Munger's work covers ground vastly beyond investing, economics, and finance, which I find extraordinarily useful. I respect Buffet, but have much more affinity for Munger due to the many contributions his "musings" have made on my life.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Thanks Bogleheads! I finished a book.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:40 am

Stryker wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am
plantingourpennies wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 am
Stryker wrote:

Mostly excerpts from interviews and perhaps a few pages in books.

I should let you know that in Super-Money pages 188-189, Walter Schloss gets tagged with the name Herbert.

"Making Money Out Of Junk" Forbes August 15, 1973

There was a lengthy interview with him and his son (Edwin) in Outstanding Investor Digest. Part 1, March 6, 1989. Part 2 June 23, 1989.

There were a few references to him (found in the book index), then a complete chapter on Walter and Edwin Schloss in "Value Investing" by Bruce Greenwald et al, published 2001.

Experience Forbes January 25, 2008

The Ivey Business School in London, Ontario, Canada has a Ben Graham Center For Value Investing unit.

Back in 2008 they did an interview with Walter Schloss. Here's the PDF transcript. Walter Schloss also gave a talk on value investing to the students on a video. You can find the video on Walter Schloss if you click on 2008.
How about this book on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Memoirs-of ... Swq7JUCM1Y

This is a very rare book because he basically wrote it for his family.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm

On second thought, I may have to donate The Snowball to our local library. The sheer size and very small print is overwhelming! I did enjoy The Making of an American Capitalist. What else could reading The Snowball provide?

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:16 pm

If you are interested in learning Warren Buffett's way of thinking, this is the best "book" to read (and it's free!):

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Rashen wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:25 pm
FYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyv9uOozi7g
I’m not sure what that video is supposed to demonstrate. A lot of people disagree with Warren Buffet’s views on taxes. Peter Schiff is just one of many rich people who don’t want to pay more taxes. Moreover, he does not present a very convincing argument. He comes off as a rich person who is angry at another rich person for saying that rich people should pay more taxes. The argument is based on an ad hominem attack instead of addressing the actual issue of taxation.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 am

abuss368 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm
On second thought, I may have to donate The Snowball to our local library. The sheer size and very small print is overwhelming! I did enjoy The Making of an American Capitalist. What else could reading The Snowball provide?
I have the same question, more or less. I started reading "Snowball" but started getting the sneaking realization that it it probably contained WAY WAY more detail about him, the people around him, his ancestors, etc. For the people who did finish it, how did you like it?

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:36 am

Finridge wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 am
abuss368 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm
I have the same question, more or less. I started reading "Snowball" but started getting the sneaking realization that it it probably contained WAY WAY more detail about him, the people around him, his ancestors, etc. For the people who did finish it, how did you like it?
Loved it. Bought it as gifts for friends.

The book does a great job showing that Buffett is far more than a stock picker. His hustle and focus have led to so much success. I especially enjoyed the stories of his childhood.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 pm

I have read The Snowball more than 10 times 8-) and Lowenstein's Buffett probably more than 7 times.

Here's my quick review:

Schroeder's The Snowball is the definitive biography at this point because it is the only book that is based on actual extensive interviews with the people in Buffett's life, as well as access to actual documents in his history. Buffett opened up his personal library and papers to Schroeder, which explains the wealth of detail that comes across in her writing. You can see the difference easily by looking at the footnotes in Lowenstein versus Schroeder. The latter is much, much more well documented. However, you will be disappointed if you're looking for discussion of why Buffett bought a particular company. Although Schroeder was a financial analyst by training, she does not (surprisingly) write very much about Buffett's investments from a financial perspective. So, the sections about Buffett's investment into the Washington Post will delve into his relationship with Katherine Graham, his love for the newspaper industry, etc., but it won't explain what Buffett saw specifically in the Post, and why he believed it was undervalued, etc. Nevertheless, it is a great, great book.

Lowenstein's Buffett is constrained by its lack of access to source documents and primary material, but it also gives the book a distinctive strength - its ability to tie Buffett's spectacular investing journey to the financial history of the United States. Lowenstein, more than Schroeder, manages to situate Buffett's story within the broader story of American capitalism and financial history. When I first read both books, I also thought it was better written. Incidentally, Lowenstein did a much better job with this book than his other book on Long Term Capital Management ("When Genius Failed"). It's a good read and I think you absolutely need to read Schroeder instead of skipping it if you want to learn more about Buffett. There is so much in Schroeder that's not in Lowenstein's version - it's richer and much more complex. This is coming from someone who found Katherine Graham's Personal History (which won a Pulitzer) a bore ... so that's saying something about how Schroeder manages to keep her subject really interesting.

I wouldn't recommend Tap Dancing to Work unless you're a huge Buffett fan and need to read everything ever written about/by him. It's somewhat disjointed, and without a working knowledge of the pivotal events or his investment philosophy, a lot of the articles in that book will seem fairly random.

Instead, I recommend his collection of Shareholder Letters. These were intended as a general guide to investing (and not just for his shareholders) so you will learn so much from them. Parts of the letters are repetitive - he just copies and pastes certain sections from year to year, but there is something new every year - different subjects he will offer an analysis on. In some years he speaks about how to think about the way companies present their costs, in others the effects of inflation on investments, and so on. For the most part, he doesn't divulge the core of how and why he reaches a particular conclusion about his specific investments, but it is as close as you can get to the mind of a genius.

There's a book not on your list - Inside the Investments of Warren Buffett (Lu Yefei) that I think is also interesting. The analysis is lacking, but he's done the legwork of presenting the financial statements and basic business details of some of Buffett's earliest investments, which is really fascinating. For instance, he takes you through the financial statements of Sanborn Maps when Buffett first built a position in it. Then there are the classics like the Nebraska Furniture Mart, where you can see that Buffett practically stole the store when you look at the numbers. So the lack of analysis is nevertheless mitigated by having the finances of some of his investments being put together in one place so you can look at them and see if you can tell why he liked those businesses.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 pm
I have read The Snowball more than 10 times 8-) and Lowenstein's Buffett probably more than 7 times.
That is absolutely incredible!!! You read The Snowball 10 times? Even Lowenstein's more than 7 times?

Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Rashen wrote:
FYI
Thanks for the link. That was informative.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:02 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm
Caduceus wrote:
That is absolutely incredible!!! You read The Snowball 10 times? Even Lowenstein's more than 7 times?
The Snowball is one of my favorite books in the world. I rarely re-read books (let alone that many times). I would really recommend not skipping it. It is an absolute treat.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:02 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm
Caduceus wrote:
The Snowball is one of my favorite books in the world. I rarely re-read books (let alone that many times). I would really recommend not skipping it. It is an absolute treat.
Thanks.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:55 pm

I started to read The Snowball - all 900 pages. The first chapter was a little rough to get going but I am keeping an open mind. I have read Lowenstein’s Buffett so I am not sure how much difference 900 pages will make.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:55 pm
I started to read The Snowball - all 900 pages. The first chapter was a little rough to get going but I am keeping an open mind. I have read Lowenstein’s Buffett so I am not sure how much difference 900 pages will make.
Great biographies.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:06 am

My favorite is How Buffett Does It: 24 Simple Investing Strategies from the World's Greatest Value Investor
Book by James Pardoe
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Greenman72

Post by Greenman72 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:17 am

abuss368 wrote:
I think there are two reasons for this:

1. More books have been written about Buffett, or with his name in the title, than pretty much anybody else in history (major religious and political leaders notwithstanding). And some of them have absolutely nothing to do with Buffett. Some of them are people writing a typical investment book, and throw "like Warren Buffett" into the title hoping that it generates sales.

2. What Warren Buffett has been able to do has been extraordinary. He is, by far, the greatest investor of all time. The #2 guy (whoever that is) is pretty far back. So reading books on "how to invest like Warren Buffett" is probably as much of a waste of time as reading "how to run as fast as Usain Bolt". Far better to focus on what we CAN do, such as save, invest, allocate, locate, & rebalance.

siker

Post by siker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:36 am

I went to the library to pick either snowball or american capitalist, I found snowball too big, so I picked american capitalist. I later filled in the gaps by reading parts of snowball, for example I was interested in his interactions with Bill Gates and the reasoning behind some of his investing decisions.

If you are interested in his investing philosophy I would suggest you read these three books:

Intelligent Investor
Common stocks uncommon profits
Essays of Warren Buffet ( I preferred reading the book to reading the shareholder letters on the website)

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am

abuss368 wrote:
Skip the parts about his early family history if you don't like those bits. The early part of the Snowball - the parts dealing with his ancestors and such - is the least interesting part of the book.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:18 pm

abuss368 wrote:
I could tell first browsing the book when I got it from the library that it was one to read over many months, a chapter here, part of a chapter there, and at my leisure. Luckily, I stumbled onto an incredibly cheap paperback at a used bookstore. Some of the family history, such as how he dealt with illness, brought out an interesting and sometimes humorous side to the man, but didn't always shed any light, at least for me, on the business side. Still, it was a worthwhile read and extremely well done. In fact, finding it at such a low price reminded me of a favorite Buffett quote: "Whether socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down."
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:35 pm

I enjoyed these two books about Warren Buffet:

Of Permanent Value by Andrew Kilpatrick

Warren Buffet Speaks
Wit and Wisdom from the
World's Greatest Investor
by Janet Lowe

dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:35 pm

I've read both The Snowball and Buffett. You learn more about Buffett as a person with The Snowball. You also learn about some of the deals and there is even a chapter about other conglomerates. Trading stamps and the deal with Berkshire Hattaway are prominent.

I enjoyed Buffett but it was like the difference between reading "Lyndon" by Merle Miller and Robert Caro's "The Years of Lyndon Johnson" 4 volumes complete now working on 5. There is a great deal of detail that you miss.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:49 am

dharrythomas wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:35 pm
I've read both The Snowball and Buffett. You learn more about Buffett as a person with The Snowball. You also learn about some of the deals and there is even a chapter about other conglomerates. Trading stamps and the deal with Berkshire Hattaway are prominent.

I enjoyed Buffett but it was like the difference between reading "Lyndon" by Merle Miller and Robert Caro's "The Years of Lyndon Johnson" 4 volumes complete now working on 5. There is a great deal of detail that you miss.
Your right. The first few chapters are all about family.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:25 am

About 150 pages into The Snowball. Another 700 to go!

Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:14 am

Rashen wrote:
FYI
Yikes -- I don't recommend Peter Schiff. He has rather forceful opinions on just about everything, and is constantly predicting bubbles, crashes, and thinks everyone should plow their money into gold (which, of course, he sells).
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:58 am

Kind of related, but I encourage people to read books on Ray Kroc and mcdonalds and also on Walmart. Interesting reads.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:58 am

cheesepep wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:58 am
Kind of related, but I encourage people to read books on Ray Kroc and mcdonalds and also on Walmart. Interesting reads.
Very familiar with McDonald’s and Ray Kroc. Fantastic book and movie.