A Thoughtful Observation about Bitcoin

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
skepticalobserver

A Thoughtful Observation about Bitcoin

Post by skepticalobserver » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:44 pm

From one of my favorites, “Aleph Blog,” David Merkel writes about cryptocurrencies and shorting volatility in “Where Money Goes to Die”:
http://alephblog.com/2017/09/05/where-m ... es-to-die/

JimD7

Re: A Thoughtful Observation about Bitcoin

Post by JimD7 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:17 am

You know, I figured all that out about Bitcoin back when it was under $100 the first time, before the big run to $800 and subsequent collapse.

But all I've managed to do in all this time is be smart about it and not make a dime.

Lesson learned

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:07 am

skepticalobserver wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:44 pm
From one of my favorites, “Aleph Blog,” David Merkel writes about cryptocurrencies and shorting volatility in “Where Money Goes to Die”:
http://alephblog.com/2017/09/05/where-m ... es-to-die/
And what does that mean?

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:56 am

Please explain 21M limit. Is it based upon probable computing curve or is it hard limit? If it is hard limit, does it mean that the total monetary value of the entire universe is capped at 21M "BtC"? Please explain how that will work using your own understanding rather than pointing to some canned presentation. Do you expect when "BtC" stabilizes, there would be nano-BtC and pico-BtC which an be transacted to purchase a cup of coffee? I mean if you want BtC to succeed in the long run, it needs to be able to do that.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:16 am

I removed an off-topic post. This thread has run its course and is locked (not actionable, rant on bitcoin). As a reminder, see: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.