"3 Things You May Not Understand About the TSP" – Tammy Flanagan's Latest Column

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
gkaplan

"3 Things You May Not Understand About the TSP" – Tammy Flanagan's Latest Column

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 pm

In last week’s column, we got into some Thrift Savings Plan issues that were fairly complicated, such as whether or not to take a lump-sum payment and use it to eliminate debt. This week, the TSP is the focus again, but I’ll keep things a little more simple.

Here are the top three things that employees sometimes misunderstand when it comes to their TSP accounts. . . .

http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/ret ... oref=river
Gordon

bayview

Re: "3 Things You May Not Understand About the TSP" – Tammy Flanagan's Latest Column

Post by bayview » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 pm

I have fellow employees who don't contribute 5%, because they believe that the system is rigged. I'm just flabbergasted.

Of note, they seem to be the same employees who refuse to get flu shots. And we have to cover for them when they go out for two weeks in January.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

tigermilk

Re: "3 Things You May Not Understand About the TSP" – Tammy Flanagan's Latest Column

Post by tigermilk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:58 am

bayview wrote:I have fellow employees who don't contribute 5%, because they believe that the system is rigged. I'm just flabbergasted.

Of note, they seem to be the same employees who refuse to get flu shots. And we have to cover for them when they go out for two weeks in January.
I've always taken the view that if there was any rigging, it was to the benefit of the TSP. I mean, after all, it's the system for Feds, the SEC is part of the federal government, Labor Depth et. al. are part of the government - the TSP administration must have some good inside info, right? :moneybag :sharebeer