What Percentage CASH are you?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
JimmyJammy

What Percentage CASH are you?

Post by JimmyJammy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:43 am

I'm curious what percentage of assets people hold in cash? Also, if you didn't haven it in cash, where would you put it?

Personally, I'm 12% Cash right now. Maybe this is dumb, especially with the dollar falling. Feel free to let me know.

But, I do like the feeling of having some "dry powder" especially when a bull market is so long in the tooth.

I'm under-exposed to International, so I guess I would deploy the cash in International. And some kind of bonds - probably Vanguard Short Term Bonds.

jebmke

Re: What Percentage CASH are you?

Post by jebmke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:44 am

< 1% - on average about 3 weeks worth of spending.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:45 am

less than 1%

I'd rather add it to my portfolio as quickly as possible. I'd prefer to at least put funds in CDs or a short term bond fund if I need liquidity.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:47 am

13.8% or so. It is my house, furniture, car, emergency fund, all rolled up.

welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 am

In my tax deferred accounts I am 0% cash (aside from whatever cash drag is inherent in the mutual funds I am in).

In taxable I am 5% cash. This is mainly for liquidity reasons.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

TSWNY

Post by TSWNY » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:56 am

3%-4% but I'll probably bump that up a little.

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 am

I do not separate out my checking account from my retirement portfolio because when I retire, the money in my checking account will be part of my retirement portfolio. I also do not have an emergency fund. Everything is my retirement portfolio.

80% equity funds
18.5% bond funds
1.5% cash

That is my desired AA. I stay pretty close to that.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 am

0 in all my tax deferred accounts. Taxable, about .7%.

bligh

Post by bligh » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm

0% in my portfolio.

Including cash reserves in saving/checking account for emergencies and such.. about ~2.5%. Including I Bonds about ~5%.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:15 pm

OP: Are you including CD's and stable value funds in your definition of "CASH"? My guess is that a lot of people on here are using CD's in lieu of some bonds in this environment.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:16 pm

I have some dollars put aside for specific planned uses coming up in the next two-and-a-half years, some in cash in the bank, some in a short-term Treasury bond fund with a 2.7-year duration.

Other than that (and my checking account), I'm not holding any cash. I'm certainly not holding any cash in any sort of attempt to time the market.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:26 pm

0.19% but almost all of that is to secure a small credit line so I can't really spend it.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

iceport

Post by iceport » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 pm

I hold a large "cash" position (>20%), but I am recently retired. This position could fund 5 years' worth of withdrawals at a 4% SWR.

Also, almost all my "cash" is earning 2.75% interest in an employer-sponsored stable value fund. So it's not the same stark choice a true cash option would present.

(Overall equity allocation is a fixed 56%; roughly 38% of equities is international.)
Last edited by iceport on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:29 pm

hirlaw wrote:OP: Are you including CD's and stable value funds in your definition of "CASH"? My guess is that a lot of people on here are using CD's in lieu of some bonds in this environment.
That is a good point. When I said 0% cash in tax deferred I ignored my CDs. I consider those FDIC insured bonds.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm

iceport wrote:I hold a large "cash" position (>20%), but I am recently retired. This position could fund 5 years' worth of withdrawals at a 4% SWR.

Also, almost all my "cash" is earning 2.75% interest in an employer-sponsored stable value fund. So it's not the same stark choice a true cash option would present.
I also hold around 20% in stable value, although I don't get quite as high as 2.75% (closer to 2.5%). Pure cash is about 1%.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Checking, CD's, IBonds = ~8%

Without counting IBonds ~= 5%

Without counting CD's, IBonds ~= 0% (just a few months in checking)

In my taxable account, I typically make quarterly purchases with cash builtup in mmf. In my tax sheltered accounts I'm always fully invested.

Currently, I let my cash position float but would not let it get above 10%. I think of cash as yrs of living expenses. During withdrawal of portfolio, I'd probably hold a fix % of cash and rebalance annually.

My preference would be to hold most of my cash needs in IBonds. Purchase limits make that a long time to build up. My CDs are currently Ally 11month no penalty.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Random Poster wrote:13.8% or so. It is my house, furniture, car, emergency fund, all rolled up.
Umm... what's % is for EF?

House, furniture, car, by definition, are not cash. They are living expenses with up front cash outlays. If you sell your house for cash, fine.. you still need to rent/buy another house to live. Cash and cash equivalents have very clear definition.

William4u

Post by William4u » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:46 pm

I have a 6 month emergency fund in savings. Other than that, I keep no cash except for income coming in.

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:47 pm

3% - In emergency funds, in a savings account.

MichDad

Post by MichDad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm 62 years old and eligible to retire with a pension. We've got 33 percent of our entire retirement portfolio in the TSP's G Fund, which is pretty close to cash. We also have about 1 percent of our entire retirement portfolio in a "high" interest money market account. We hold no traditional bonds or bond funds (and never have). The G Fund holding is new to us. In March or so of this year, after 30 years of investing for retirement, I pulled the plug and decided to take a more conservative approach. The rest of our portfolio remains in US and international equities.

MichDad

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:56 pm

6% cash, all considered emergency fund (savings/checking). Doesn't include i-bond/ee bond or short term bond fund in taxable accounts. The percentage of cash will decrease as our invested assets increase because cash is a fixed amount, not a percentage targeted amount.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:59 pm

thangngo wrote:
Random Poster wrote:13.8% or so. It is my house, furniture, car, emergency fund, all rolled up.
Umm... what's % is for EF?
The emergency fund is roughly 11.11% of the total cash amount.
thangngo wrote:House, furniture, car, by definition, are not cash. They are living expenses with up front cash outlays. If you sell your house for cash, fine.. you still need to rent/buy another house to live. Cash and cash equivalents have very clear definition.
What is your definition of a collection of funds, consisting of US currency, that are either deposited in an FDIC-insured account at a bank or which were used to purchase shares in a municipal money market fund at Vanguard, that are designated to be used to buy a house, furniture, and a car?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:07 pm

JimmyJammy wrote:I'm curious what percentage of assets people hold in cash? Also, if you didn't haven it in cash, where would you put it?

Personally, I'm 12% Cash right now. Maybe this is dumb, especially with the dollar falling. Feel free to let me know.

But, I do like the feeling of having some "dry powder" especially when a bull market is so long in the tooth.

I'm under-exposed to International, so I guess I would deploy the cash in International. And some kind of bonds - probably Vanguard Short Term Bonds.

I am about 12% too.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 pm

20% using Golden Butterfly portfolio, a variant of the Permanent Portfolio which calls for 25%.

Since I'm retired one year and waiting a couple of years to maximize SS I feel very comfortable having that amount in cash. Wish it was earning more but if it was, my long bonds would probably be worth less so it doesn't matter so much in the long run.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:30 pm

About 1.2% is kept intentionally as emergency fund.

Plus, most of bond funds, REITS and many stock funds/ETFs keep some of assets as cash in reserve. It can reach 2-3% at times for some funds/ETFs!
When this portion is summed up accross all our investments, even though we do not have direct access to this cash, it comes to ~1.6% of total.

Therefore, about 2.8% are in cash, more than half of it not accessible to us but part of other investments.

ValueInvestor99

Post by ValueInvestor99 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:36 pm

I am at about 5% cash in my investment accounts. I need some cash to buy back options that have exceeded their strike price.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 pm

The "percentage" goes down over the years as I hold cash only in my EF and for short term purchases while my investment accounts continue to grow.
I don't usually calculate it but I know I started with 100% and now have somewhere <1% - so for me - it would depend upon which age you asked me.

I don't believe in "dry powder" as that is essentially market timing. If I was holding "dry powder" cash I probably would have started doing so 3 or 4 years ago and missed out on a LOT of gains.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Tuitions are paid, so very little cash. We don't have a formal Emergency Fund.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

The definition of cash is relative.
Do you include any or all of: real paper cash, money in checking accounts, money in savings accounts, online high yield savings accounts, CD, money market funds, stable value funds, TIAA-traditional, bond funds?
If you are talking about dry powder, I would include all of them. So I have about 20% of my portfolio, but I have no intention to use them to buy stocks at this time.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Personally in terms of overall net worth, 33% right now.

In terms of combined investable portfolio, ~10% between my SO and I.

Actually just put up a case study/portfolio review with detailed allocation and some questions if anyone wants to weigh in?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225423

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:03 pm

4% cash in a MM...moving $$ monthly into an international stock fund.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Currently 7%, which includes actual cash held along with cash held within our investments.

Even though we will reduce that amount over the next 6-9 months (when we both will be starting our age 70 SS benefits) we'll still probably have around 5% held within our underlying investments.

- Ron

3wood

Post by 3wood » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:05 pm

6%. Not sure why but it has worked out that way. Just an emotional need to see a certain $ amount in cash.

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Many people on this site have different definitions of cash. I define it as liquid, immediately redeemable for purchase, does not need to be paid back (i.e. credit). Basically currency, checking and savings. Based on that I have about 4%. Does not include bonds or CDs.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Just this month got it back up to 1.2% in checking/savings accounts, which gives a little over a 2 month emergency fund. No CDs, money markets, or short term bonds. All available funds go into one of the three fund portfolio equivalent (i.e. different funds depending on where the account is located, Fidelity or Schwab).

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:13 pm

3wood wrote:6%. Not sure why but it has worked out that way. Just an emotional need to see a certain $ amount in cash.
My wife is like that. She gets nervous if her savings account gets below a certain dollar amount. Its funny that she doesn't index for inflation. :)

furikake

Post by furikake » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:16 pm

DH doesn't want anything in cash at all except what's in our checking account, but he doesn't want to argue with me. I'm accumulating 2 years of expenses in cash right now, almost there...

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Now that I am retired, I haven't changed cash allocation at all. I hate cash. We have about 0.1% of our investable assets in cash and would have less if the HSA didn't need $5,000 in cash to have a no-fee HSA.

"Dry powder" for rebalancing is kept in bond funds. Does that mean we have "Damp powder"?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:27 pm

livesoft wrote:Now that I am retired, I haven't changed cash allocation at all. I hate cash. We have about 0.1% of our investable assets in cash and would have less if the HSA didn't need $5,000 in cash to have a no-fee HSA.

"Dry powder" for rebalancing is kept in bond funds. Does that mean we have "Damp powder"?
Is "dry powder" so you can take your investments out and shoot them? I guess my powder held in suspension. :)

puravida

Post by puravida » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Livesoft, thanks for sharing your cash strategy. What would be your strategy for handling large expenses like a car purchase, or a wedding, or any other such large item? Or in a major markets decline period without a near cash emergency fund? I'm new to early retirement, a bit defensive, and holding ~2% cash in 1% MM account which would cover 2 years spending needs + a planned car purchase. Thanks.
Simple, passive, effective - the Bogle way...

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

I guess if you count liquid money in checking that I know will be spent in the next week or month as non-cash, I guess we are 0.05% in cash. I don't like going back to the well over and over, so I will let cash build up to get us through whatever tuition, tax payment, credit card payment, etc. is anticipated.

Beyond paying bills, I have no use for cash.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:37 pm

I try to keep cash at 1% of our total retirement portfolio value.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:39 pm

puravida wrote:Livesoft, thanks for sharing your cash strategy. What would be your strategy for handling large expenses like a car purchase, or a wedding, or any other such large item? Or in a major markets decline period without a near cash emergency fund? I'm new to early retirement, a bit defensive, and holding ~2% cash in 1% MM account which would cover 2 years spending needs + a planned car purchase. Thanks.
I posted about that in this thread from the other day:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=224787

Did you just post that your SWR (sustained withdrawal rate) is about 1% annually? Doesn't that mean that if your portfolio dropped by 50% in value that your SWR would be a mere 2%?
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:44 pm

.01481 % :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

22twain

Post by 22twain » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Here's what I have at the moment. People use different definitions of "cash", so add up the items that fit your definition:

Folding green stuff: 0.02%
Checking accounts: 1.25%
Brokerage settlement fund (money market): 0.22%
CD: 3.70%

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:38 pm

I've never understood the logic of cash as an asset category within an investment portfolio. If you need to hold onto some cash for liquidity or emergency uses, you take it out of your investment portfolio and it becomes part of your checking account or emergency fund. For me that's part of the definition of cash -- it is set aside for short-term, not long-term needs. And how much of it you need is totally independent of how much you are investing, so if your portfolio doubled that wouldn't make you need twice as much cash, or if your portfolio suffered a cash that wouldn't make you need less.

I know people talk about "buckets" in a portfolio when you are withdrawing, and that one of those buckets should have cash in it, but I never got that. It is supposed to enable you to avoid selling assets when they are down, but that's just alchemy. You have to refill the bucket with something, and how can you guarantee that you can do so without selling assets that are down.

If cash buckets really worked, then mutual funds oriented toward generating regular income would hold them. But look at the Vanguard Life Strategy Income Fund -- no cash.

So from where I sit asking "what percentage cash is your portfolio" is like asking "what is cash." The answer is, "0" and "the liquid holdings outside my portfolio."

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Leif wrote:Many people on this site have different definitions of cash. I define it as liquid, immediately redeemable for purchase, does not need to be paid back (i.e. credit). Basically currency, checking and savings. Based on that I have about 4%. Does not include bonds or CDs.
Although I track my % cash, I don't target it by % the same way I do for other asset classes and sub-classes. I look at expected cash flow. I target 2 years of needed cash (needed after income is considered). With retirement on the horizon and other larger expenses, 4% seems about right. After other income source kick in (SS, Pension), and these other larger expenses have been paid, it will probably drop to something like 1-2%.
Last edited by Leif on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 pm

puravida wrote:Livesoft, thanks for sharing your cash strategy. What would be your strategy for handling large expenses like a car purchase, or a wedding, or any other such large item? Or in a major markets decline period without a near cash emergency fund? I'm new to early retirement, a bit defensive, and holding ~2% cash in 1% MM account which would cover 2 years spending needs + a planned car purchase. Thanks.
Bonds. It would be hard for me to imagine a large expenditure that was so unpredictable that I needed to hold cash to cover it. I can convert any asset in my portfolio to cash in the bank in 3-4 business days. Even if my car blew up today I would probably rent a replacement for a short term while deciding how to replace it. If my wife left me I doubt I'd remarry in the first 3-4 days.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Less than 10% but more than 5% - that is used to SWAN (non-negotiable), pay bills and a future known purchase.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 pm

85/15 with the 15 being cash.

I have be reluctant to lock that into CD's or buy bonds with the current interest rate environment.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549