Vanguard Puts Rivals on Notice: Fee Wars Will Only Heat Up

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
BeachPerson

Vanguard Puts Rivals on Notice: Fee Wars Will Only Heat Up

Post by BeachPerson »

[Post merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Fee Wars
"As we continue to get scale, as we continue to grow and we get more efficient, we pass a large part of that back to our clients in the form of lower expenses. That’s not going to stop,” Buckley said Thursday on a company webcast. "If other people want to offer index funds, great. But you better be ready to keep lowering price, and we’re going to do it across every product."
I like the CEO - Going international will help continue to lower prices
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Vanguard Puts Rival Firms On Notice: Fee Wars Will Only Heat Up"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Vanguard's new CEO, Tim Buckley, doesn't mince words:
"As we continue to get scale, as we continue to grow and we get more efficient, we pass a large part of that back to our clients in the form of lower expenses. That’s not going to stop,” Buckley said Thursday on a company webcast. "If other people want to offer index funds, great. But you better be ready to keep lowering price, and we’re going to do it across every product."
Vanguard Puts Rival Firms On Notice: Fee Wars Will Only Heat Up

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Alexa9

Re: "Vanguard Puts Rival Firms On Notice: Fee Wars Will Only Heat Up"

Post by Alexa9 »

Competition is good. I still like Fidelity and Schwab. I hope more and more people move to this three from some of the other abysmal financial institutions.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

Good news for investors!

Also, thanks to Mr. Bogle's vision and contribution that started this low-fee momentum for the entire industry.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

When might expenses go to zero as a matter of standard practice in the industry?
What will the average investor give up to get that cost?
The discovery of America, and that of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope, are the two greatest and most important events recorded in the history of mankind. -- Adam Smith, 1776
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

tooluser wrote:When might expenses go to zero as a matter of standard practice in the industry?
Expenses are already at zero for some funds - some firms engage in securities lending that offsets some or all of their entire ER.

Since you probably can't even tell me which ones those are....the average investor clearly isn't giving up very much :)
DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo »

I wonder if "every product" includes PAS.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Yeah, when will Vanguard robo service be free like Schwab?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Competition is heating up, and fees are definitely coming down.
There was an announcement from Schwab to start a new ETF with a management fee of 0 to 2 basis points:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... since-2013
...The Schwab 1000 Index ETF would be the issuer’s first to use an index created in-house, reducing Schwab’s costs and potentially allowing it to charge as little as zero to two basis points in management fees, said Balchunas. The fund’s expense ratio wasn’t disclosed in the filings...

Personally, I doubt I'll change anything. I'm quite happy with Vanguard, and I think they have the structure and culture to keep things aimed more towards my interests... but it's good to have competitive options
:D
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl »

While it is good, Vanguard charging $5.00 per month for 403b participants is a big step in wrong direction. Most 403b participants do not get a match either. While I have no idea about Schwab's charges , FIDO charges $ 4.00 per year . I think MR. Buckley should reverse that decision. P.S. It does not affect me personally as I retired and will convert all of it to an IRA avoiding the fees but it still irks me coming from Vanguard.
student

Post by student »

dbltrbl wrote:While it is good, Vanguard charging $5.00 per month for 403b participants is a big step in wrong direction. Most 403b participants do not get a match either. While I have no idea about Schwab's charges , FIDO charges $ 4.00 per year . I think MR. Buckley should reverse that decision. P.S. It does not affect me personally as I retired and will convert all of it to an IRA avoiding the fees but it still irks me coming from Vanguard.
I think this is quite consistent with Vanguard's philosophy. It gives you products "at-cost." If it costs $5 per month to maintain such accounts, then I think it is reasonable. (I do not know the cost.) Fidelity and Schwab can subsidize it as they have other high fee products.

Edit: Years ago, Fidelity charged $X per quarter for my 403b account. I think X=10. And later they got rid of the fee. I think my employer end up paying them. At one point, I got a refund from the them because the cost was lower than anticipated. (Yes. This was strange. I did not pay for it but I got a refund. I called them to make sure it was legit.)
Last edited by student on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

DippityDoo wrote:I wonder if "every product" includes PAS.
I believe that Schwab (or is it Fidelity??) has a cap on how much they'll charge. Somewhere around $3,000.

Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

dbltrbl wrote:While it is good, Vanguard charging $5.00 per month for 403b participants is a big step in wrong direction. Most 403b participants do not get a match either. While I have no idea about Schwab's charges , FIDO charges $ 4.00 per year . I think MR. Buckley should reverse that decision. P.S. It does not affect me personally as I retired and will convert all of it to an IRA avoiding the fees but it still irks me coming from Vanguard.
Not to 'jack the thread, but was there ever a definitive answer on whether that was $5 per account, or $5 per fund in the account?

If the former I wouldn't care much. If the latter I might.
"I know nothing."
GolfGal

Post by GolfGal »

It seems to me that if it wasn't for Vanguard, these other firms would not be lowering their fees (or offering index funds at all).
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

GolfGal wrote:It seems to me that if it wasn't for Vanguard, these other firms would not be lowering their fees (or offering index funds at all).
+1
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

GolfGal wrote:It seems to me that if it wasn't for Vanguard, these other firms would not be lowering their fees (or offering index funds at all).
Good point. There’s definitely been a “Vanguard effect,” as other fund companies are under pressure to lower their fees in an attempt to compete. But industry-wide average fees are still quite high in comparison (chart below) — by a factor of about 6x!
    NOTE: Asset-weighted average expense ratios, for all asset classes, as of 12/31/16.
    Source: Vanguard
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Does this mean that Vanguard will soon be able to match the lower expenses that are offered by Fidelity, Schwab, and Blackrock? Also, Schwab gives low expenses to everyone, not just those who invest 10 grand or 50 grand in a single fund.

Who will be the first to post a 0% ER?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Vanguard Puts Rivals on Notice: Fee Wars Will Only Heat Up

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged davidkw's post into here. The software sorts by time, davidkw was first.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
student

Post by student »

I am interested to see how long does it take for mutual fund companies in Canada to make substantial changes in response to Vanguard. I believe the average expense ratio is over 2%. Here are a couple of examples of their index funds. MER (Their way to call expense ration is about 0.8%.)

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/fundD ... &site=TDCT
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

tooluser wrote:When might expenses go to zero as a matter of standard practice in the industry?

I always expect to pay for a service. If not monetary, you are paying in some other way.
92irish

Post by 92irish »

Fidelity and Schwab can offer all the loss leader index funds they want at .05% less than Vanguard - I'm not biting. I'm sticking with Vanguard.

A client of mine had a multi-million dollar portfolio of index funds at Fidelity and he died leaving it to his widow. She was not financially adept and Fidelity within a month of his death was pestering her to move the account to a "managed" account for 1.15% wrap fee not including actively managed mutual funds with expense ratios of .6% to 1.0% on top of that. They kept schmoozing her until she did it. The husband would be rolling in his grave.

Fidelity works for the best interests of the Johnson family. Vanguard works for your best interest. If you like Fidelity's website better - that's great, or if you want to shave .05% on your index fund - knock yourself out, just watch your wallet as they are not doing it to be nice and their goal is to make as much money off you as possible at the end of the day.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Dottie57 wrote:

I always expect to pay for a service. If not monetary, you are paying in some other way.
The Vanguard ex-US Small Cap fund last year cost negative 1bp and the year before than negative 13bp. This was due to securities lending revenue which is lucrative in this asset class. Yes you take some small amount of risk.

There's no reason expenses have to be larger than some given amount.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Please explain the "negative" costs, as an expense ratio cannot be negative. How is it actually reported?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

triceratop wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:

The Vanguard ex-US Small Cap fund last year cost negative 1bp and the year before than negative 13bp. This was due to securities lending revenue which is lucrative in this asset class. Yes you take some small amount of risk.

I am not knowledgable about lending securities, but doesn't sound good. So since my securities are being lent out, I am paying in this way. Doesn't this add risk?
Avo

Post by Avo »

Fee wars are bad for Vanguard. They are already heavily reliant on indexed products. Their rivals makes tons of money on active management. Already we hear many complaints about Vanguard customer service compared to rivals. Fee wars won't help this situation.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Dottie57 wrote:
triceratop wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:

I am not knowledgable about lending securities, but doesn't sound good. So since my securities are being lent out, I am paying in this way. Doesn't this add risk?
I'm not aware of any large Vanguard stock fund which does not engage in securities lending. Vanguard only lends to large institutions which they deem to have lowest risk. I don't think they have ever had a failure of an institution to return the shares. In return, Vanguard (you) is paid a fee as compensation.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Avo wrote:...They are already heavily reliant on indexed products. Their rivals makes tons of money on active management...
Having $4.2 Trillion AUM helps...
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

92irish wrote:Fidelity and Schwab can offer all the loss leader index funds they want at .05% less than Vanguard - I'm not biting. I'm sticking with Vanguard.

A client of mine had a multi-million dollar portfolio of index funds at Fidelity and he died leaving it to his widow. She was not financially adept and Fidelity within a month of his death was pestering her to move the account to a "managed" account for 1.15% wrap fee not including actively managed mutual funds with expense ratios of .6% to 1.0% on top of that. They kept schmoozing her until she did it. The husband would be rolling in his grave.

Fidelity works for the best interests of the Johnson family. Vanguard works for your best interest. If you like Fidelity's website better - that's great, or if you want to shave .05% on your index fund - knock yourself out, just watch your wallet as they are not doing it to be nice and their goal is to make as much money off you as possible at the end of the day.
Vanguard keeps bugging me via ads and letters to sign up for their advisory service. They do not have my best interest at heart. Never think that any of these financial companies are not trying to increase their revenue and profit margin. Pick the company you deal with based on quality of service, expenses, and funds. I choose Vanguard AND Fidelity but not because of their ownership structure or who started low expense ratios first.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
sport

Post by sport »

I believe that when a fund lends holdings, the loans are collateralized with US treasury securities. If this is the case, the risk to the fund would be negligible if anything. It has to be more than "I promise to pay you back".
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ Please explain the "negative" costs, as an expense ratio cannot be negative. How is it actually reported?
Correct, the reported expense ratio is still positive (in VSS' case it was 17bp and 13bp respectively). To actually compute the figure you can do one of two things: look at tracking error relative to the index, or net securities lending revenue reported in the annual report (divided by asset base) against the expenses reported by the fund. The second metric is more representative of costs, because index funds don't track perfectly, but obviously what you really care about is tracking error. So: consider both.

The numbers I posted are from my memory from the last time I computed the numbers. Also for Vanguard total international I believe the net cost after lending revenue was 1-2bp.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Avo wrote:Fee wars are bad for Vanguard. They are already heavily reliant on indexed products. Their rivals makes tons of money on active management. Already we hear many complaints about Vanguard customer service compared to rivals. Fee wars won't help this situation.
Vanguard has been running a fee war with itself for 40 years, since inception. They haven't beaten themselves, yet. My guess is they'll emerge from the fee war just fine.
mouses

Post by mouses »

bengal22 wrote:
Vanguard keeps bugging me via ads and letters to sign up for their advisory service. They do not have my best interest at heart. Never think that any of these financial companies are not trying to increase their revenue and profit margin. Pick the company you deal with based on quality of service, expenses, and funds. I choose Vanguard AND Fidelity but not because of their ownership structure or who started low expense ratios first.
If you mean online ads, everyone does that. I looked up a flatware pattern a month or two ago and now I see ads everywhere for it. At some point I will get around to finding a plug or whatever that stops tracking.

As to letters, just tell them not to. It amazes me that people don't know that if they call a company and say don't send me any more ads the company almost always stops doing it. The only exception I have found is when a company blankets an area with mail and the post office is unable to cope with no address card for a home and just delivers to everyone. RedPlum, I'm talking to you.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Vanguard causes a lot of people in the financial industry nightmares and causes such people as investment advisors and fund managers to wake up in a cold sweat. The ground is shifting under their feet. Times are a changing.
A fool and his money are good for business.
student

Post by student »

mouses wrote:
bengal22 wrote:
If you mean online ads, everyone does that. I looked up a flatware pattern a month or two ago and now I see ads everywhere for it. At some point I will get around to finding a plug or whatever that stops tracking.

As to letters, just tell them not to. It amazes me that people don't know that if they call a company and say don't send me any more ads the company almost always stops doing it. The only exception I have found is when a company blankets an area with mail and the post office is unable to cope with no address card for a home and just delivers to everyone. RedPlum, I'm talking to you.
I think bengal22's point is that every financial company (Vanguard included) works to increase their revenue and profit margin and do not have his best interest at heart. I think he just used the ads and letters as examples.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

I found it. From their website.

"Advisory fees can range from 1%-2% of your assets. But with Schwab Intelligent Advisory, you’ll pay just 0.28% of the assets in your account, excluding cash. Get started with as little as $25,000.

Larger portfolios benefit from our fee cap – that means a typical investor who grows his/her assets beyond about $1.4M won't pay more than $900 per quarter."

If you have $2,000,000, 3,600/2,000,000=.18% ($6,000 at Vanguard)
If you have $3,000,000, 3,600/3,000,000=.12%($9,000 at Vanguard)
If you have $4,000,000, 3,600/4,000,000= .09%($12,000 at Vanguard)

Sure would be nice if Vanguard would "price match"
DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo »

student wrote: every financial company (Vanguard included) works to increase their revenue and profit margin and do not have his best interest at heart.
Exactly. Vanguard is part of the financial services industry not a charitable enterprise. Below is one of their job postings which clearly states the goal is "winning new business" and upselling PAS. Vanguard employs sales staff every bit as much as other firms do. I'm not in the habit of trusting sales reps to always have my best interest at heart.

Vanguard Careers
Investment Sales Consultant
https://vanguard.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/ ... ant_108840
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

DippityDoo wrote:
student wrote: every financial company (Vanguard included) works to increase their revenue and profit margin and do not have his best interest at heart.
Exactly. Vanguard is part of the financial services industry not a charitable enterprise. Below is one of their job postings which clearly states the goal is "winning new business" and upselling PAS. Vanguard employs sales staff every bit as much as other firms do. I'm not in the habit of trusting sales reps to always have my best interest at heart.

Vanguard Careers
Investment Sales Consultant
https://vanguard.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/ ... ant_108840
When I buy Vanguard ETFs at non-Vanguard brokerages that doesn't seem to be an issue. And if the fees to PAS cover the expenses of those employees, well, I am only concerned about the expenses of the funds, so it is puzzling.

I'm not sure why I should care.
DippityDoo

Post by DippityDoo »

triceratop wrote:When I buy Vanguard ETFs at non-Vanguard brokerages that doesn't seem to be an issue. And if the fees to PAS cover the expenses of those employees, well, I am only concerned about the expenses of the funds, so it is puzzling.

Like you, I buy Vanguard funds at other brokerages. My point was that all firms--including Vanguard--in the financial services industry exist to expand business and profits. What's in the company's best interest may or may not be in mine. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I get the impression on this board that many people trust Vanguard staff simply because they work for Vanguard. I think it's naive to assume sales reps at ANY company will necessarily prioritize a customer's best interest over their own job security, need to meet performance standards, etc. As to whether or not this is a matter you should care about, to each his own :sharebeer
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

Student,
student wrote:I am interested to see how long does it take for mutual fund companies in Canada to make substantial changes in response to Vanguard. I believe the average expense ratio is over 2%. Here are a couple of examples of their index funds. MER (Their way to call expense ration is about 0.8%.)

There's good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad news.

Unfortunately, Vanguard offers no retail mutual funds, in Canada. It has some funds for retirement plans, but they are unavailable to the general public. See: Vanguard launches series of 10 target retirement funds. As a consequence, there are no really low-cost index funds in Canada. The lowest-cost index funds are TD e-series funds, which are difficult to buy*:

* One has to jump through hoops to open an appropriate e-series account to buy them.

Code: Select all

Fund name                   Fund ID  MER
TD Canadian Bond Index – e  TDB909   0.50
TD Canadian Index – e       TDB900   0.33
TD US Index – e             TDB902   0.35
TD International Index – e  TDB911   0.50

The good news is that Vanguard has started offering index ETFs in Canada in late 2011, with aggressively low management fees. As a result, the management fees of other index ETFs have significantly dropped, especially the price of some iShares index ETFs by BlackRock. We now see low fee wars between the three leading index ETF providers: iShares, BMO, and Vanguard Canada. Other smaller players in the indexing ETF space have no choice but to follow suit.

Currently, iShares/BlackRock has a new, lower fee total international ETF (XAW, 0.20%) than Vanguard Canada (VXC, 0.25%). But, as one could expect from BlackRock, they kept the fees pretty high on their older total-world ETF (XWD, 0.44%). It took them years, too, to lower the fees on their aggregate Canadian bond ETF; they just lowered the fees of XBB, from 0.30% to 0.09% a few months ago, in May 2017, to compete with Vanguard's VAB, (0.12%) and BMO's ZAG (0.09%).
Bogleheads investment philosophy | One-ETF global balanced index portfolio | VPW
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

DippityDoo wrote:
triceratop wrote:When I buy Vanguard ETFs at non-Vanguard brokerages that doesn't seem to be an issue. And if the fees to PAS cover the expenses of those employees, well, I am only concerned about the expenses of the funds, so it is puzzling.

Like you, I buy Vanguard funds at other brokerages. My point was that all firms--including Vanguard--in the financial services industry exist to expand business and profits. What's in the company's best interest may or may not be in mine. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I get the impression on this board that many people trust Vanguard staff simply because they work for Vanguard. I think it's naive to assume sales reps at ANY company will necessarily prioritize a customer's best interest over their own job security, need to meet performance standards, etc. As to whether or not this is a matter you should care about, to each his own :sharebeer
Who do you think are the shareholders of vanguard who receive the profits from the company? As you say, if the company's best interest are not aligned with yours, I would like to know who they are aligned with; that is, who the owners are.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

longinvest wrote:Currently, iShares/BlackRock has a new, lower fee total international ETF (XAW, 0.20%) than Vanguard Canada (VXC, 0.25%). But, as one could expect from BlackRock, they kept the fees pretty high on their older total-world ETF (XWD, 0.44%). It took them years, too, to lower the fees on their aggregate Canadian bond ETF; they just lowered the fees of XBB, from 0.30% to 0.09% a few months ago, in May 2017, to compete with Vanguard's VAB, (0.12%) and BMO's ZAG (0.09%).
Links to many of the funds mentioned by longinvest can be found at our sister Canadian forum's wiki: Simple index portfolios - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki

Checking ZAG, I see a MER of 0.14%, but a Maximum Annual Management Fee of 0.09%. Did I misinterpret the fact sheet?
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

LadyGeek wrote: Checking ZAG, I see a MER of 0.14%, but a Maximum Annual Management Fee of 0.09%. Did I misinterpret the fact sheet?
The Management Expense Ratio (MER) is backward-looking. It includes the management fees and the taxes imposed on these management fees as shown in the last verified financial statements of the ETF. The Management Fee is forward-looking; it tells us how much the provider will be charging from now on, before taxes. Based on the announced 0.09%, we can expect the next financial statement to show an MER of 0.10%.

Of course, this is happening because ZAG's Management Fee was lowered recently, to beat Vanguard's VAB (0.12%). :wink:
Bogleheads investment philosophy | One-ETF global balanced index portfolio | VPW
goingup

Post by goingup »

DippityDoo wrote:

More people on this board may trust Vanguard because the reps won't try to steer us into high expense funds, or high fee managed accounts. Fidelity may do that. Fidelity has also never made it easy to find their low cost index funds or low cost Target funds. It's not blind loyalty that engenders trust in Vanguard. It's experience from doing business with Vanguard for decades that makes me trust them.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Interesting discussion...

In my experience, having been with Vanguard for about 40 years and seen by portfolio rise beyond all expectations (not Vanguard's doing, just thrifty and a rising market), I have never received any solicitation from them for anything.

Chopped liver or what??
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

TheGreyingDuke wrote:Interesting discussion...

In my experience, having been with Vanguard for about 40 years and seen by portfolio rise beyond all expectations (not Vanguard's doing, just thrifty and a rising market), I have never received any solicitation from them for anything.

Chopped liver or what??
The Greying Duke:

I have been with Vanguard since 1986. I also have never received any solicitation from them for anything.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Dottie57 wrote:
Exactly. Referencing other replies as well, I'm intrigued by why funds cannot or do not offset the profits from lending their securities against the reported expense ratio. Is it prohibited by law, or so variable that they cannot predict the effect, or some sort of shell game? In which case what extra expenses are not reported? I have read on this forum that fund turnover rates affect the fund performance, but the effect is also not reported as an expense. Somehow it's book-kept at a different level.
The discovery of America, and that of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope, are the two greatest and most important events recorded in the history of mankind. -- Adam Smith, 1776
student

Post by student »

goingup wrote: More people on this board may trust Vanguard because the reps won't try to steer us into high expense funds, or high fee managed accounts. Fidelity may do that. Fidelity has also never made it easy to find their low cost index funds or low cost Target funds. It's not blind loyalty that engenders trust in Vanguard. It's experience from doing business with Vanguard for decades that makes me trust them.
I don't think your statement about Fidelity never made it easy to find their low cost index funds is 100% accurate. For example, last week its headline on its website is a link to a page with 28 mutual funds and ETFs. Under its mutual fund overview page https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/f ... s/overview index funds have their own tab. However, I do agree that their target retirement index funds are difficult to find.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
TheGreyingDuke wrote:Interesting discussion...

Chopped liver or what??
The Greying Duke:

I have been with Vanguard since 1986. I also have never received any solicitation from them for anything.

Best wishes.
Taylor
I just received a letter in the mail from Vanguard soliciting for their advisory service. First such letter since my start with them in mid eighties. My point is that want to sell me a service at additional costs that I don't need. Like all companies they seek to expand their revenue for the good of Vanguard. No different than Fidelity.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
siamond

Post by siamond »

Nate79 wrote:Yeah, when will Vanguard robo service be free like Schwab?
Nothing is free when it has a cost. Schwab gets its money (and then some) through the fact that their robo-adviser enforces a 9% or 10% cash position. Here is a very cogent explanation of the whole thing (scroll down a bit).

Personally, I'm glad to pay some modest fees to Vanguard, as long as they keep doing a good job, and be kind enough to give back their economies of scale (which is quite remarkable when you think about it). I love the assertive statement from the new CEO.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

92irish wrote:Fidelity and Schwab can offer all the loss leader index funds they want at .05% less than Vanguard - I'm not biting. I'm sticking with Vanguard.

Fidelity works for the best interests of the Johnson family. Vanguard works for your best interest.
+1

I am amazed how many people are blind to this.