Where should I save my money?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
thethinker

Where should I save my money?

Post by thethinker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:40 pm

My wife and I are saving up some money to make a big purchase so I need a safe place to put this money. I need 0 risk and I realize that means nearly 0% in returns. A friend told me Ally bank is the best place as I can get a little over 1% return on a CD and there is no penalty for early withdraw. Does anyone know if this really is the best place, or if there is maybe a better option? I expect to be putting away a chunk at a time for about 3 years, maybe 4.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Indexboss

Re: Where should I save my money?

Post by Indexboss » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Ally's 1.5 percent no penalty CD is a good deal (25K minimum). Capital one 360 has a MM account that was offerring a $200 bonus, started off at 1.00% for accounts more than 10K, they raised the rate to %1.10. Not sure if they still have the bonus. The MM account is a little more flexible and you can add funds to it. Some longer term CD's are offering around 2%.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Ally's no penalty CD is 11-months and yields 1.50% for balances over $25k. That's the best you can do for 11-months unless you commit to a longer term.

Ally's 5-year CD has a 2.25% yield.

Check out https://www.depositaccounts.com/cd/ which aggregates online CD rates. You'll see that Ally is pretty competitive, but you could do very slightly better elsewhere if you really wanted to.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:31 pm

A still risk-free option that will require some legwork on your part is to use the savings to open up bank accounts (i.e. checking, savings, and/or money market) for sign-up bonuses. A lot of us opened Capital One 360 money market accounts with $10k and got a $200 bonus, which is equivalent to a 2% interest rate, only your money isn't tied up there for a year, so the effective rate is much higher.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm keeping safe money in Ally savings for 1.15%.....no minimum, completely liquid, FDIC insured. There are others like this.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:14 pm

My Synchrony Bank savings is currently 1.2%. Better than a CD because you can always add to it periodically. Dump in the lump sum and keep contributing. I've used Ally as well in the past but I find Synchrony stays ahead on rates. Rather use a savings account than a CD any day, especially if the savings account pays more.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 pm

amateurnovice wrote:My Synchrony Bank savings is currently 1.2%. Better than a CD because you can always add to it periodically. Dump in the lump sum and keep contributing. I've used Ally as well in the past but I find Synchrony stays ahead on rates. Rather use a savings account than a CD any day, especially if the savings account pays more.
+1. Been at Synchrony a few years now. HY Savings account works well for me.
Preferred AA: Total US and foreign stock markets and short-term Treasury fixed income

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:37 pm

The Best Online Savings Accounts (updated monthly) is another decent internet resource for this question.

student

Post by student » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:17 pm

GS Bank has 1.9% for 3-year CDs.