Jack Bogle, Eugene Fama- New Freakonomics Radio Podcast

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
buckeye7983

Jack Bogle, Eugene Fama- New Freakonomics Radio Podcast

Post by buckeye7983 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:59 am

Jack Bogle and Eugene Fama discussing passive investing in new Freakonomics Radio podcast.

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/452538045/f ... mics-radio

Can also listen/subscribe with Google Play Music, Pocket Casts app, etc.

"We are now in the middle of the Copernican Revolution about the proper way to invest or at least the rational way to invest."

"It's Wall Street's nightmare."

buckeye7983

Re: Jack Bogle, Eugene Fama- New Freakonomics Radio Podcast

Post by buckeye7983 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 am

If you were unable to access podcast earlier, you should be able to now. Great stuff!

snarlyjack

Post by snarlyjack » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 am

buckeye,

That was a excellent pod-cast!
Thank you for posting it...

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 am

buckeye7983 wrote:If you were unable to access podcast earlier, you should be able to now. Great stuff!
I follow your link to NPR but see no Bogle/Fama podcast. I searched as well. Also tried Google play Music podcasts to no avail.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:07 am

heartwood wrote:
buckeye7983 wrote:If you were unable to access podcast earlier, you should be able to now. Great stuff!
I follow your link to NPR but see no Bogle/Fama podcast. I searched as well. Also tried Google play Music podcasts to no avail.
OK, here: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/stupidest-money/

MichaelRpdx

The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money

Post by MichaelRpdx » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:00 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Freakenomics podcast on active management.
There's a full transcript if you'd rather read than listen.
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/stupidest-money/
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:15 pm

MichaelRpdx wrote:Freakenomics podcast on active management.
There's a full transcript if you'd rather read than listen.
thanks. look forward to hearing that.

by the way, looks like buckeye7983 beat you to it 2 days ago:

viewtopic.php?t=224281

I'll tell the mods to merge these two.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:21 pm

As bad as active usually is, it's nearly always preferable to not investing it and just wasting it on consumables that won't really satisfy you or last.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

sport

Post by sport » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Stupidest? I know a guy who is a Nigerian prince who escaped to the US. He needs help to get his money out of Nigeria...

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 pm

I enjoyed the article, thanks.

From the interview of Jack Bogle:
STEPHEN DUBNER: As the founder of Vanguard, as the father of index-fund investing — how have you turned out financially? Are you worth billions and billions and billions?

JOHN BOGLE: No, I’m not even worth a billion. They laugh at me. I’m not even worth $100 million. But I was never in this business to make a lot of money for myself. I’ve been nicely paid, particularly in the days when I was running the company, and I am not a spender. I buy a new sweater every once in awhile or a new shirt from L.L. Bean. My wife is the same way. We’re just not interested in things, toys. We’re very happy with our standard of living. We have a nice small house that we love. We have a wonderful family. At almost 88 years old, I might be the most blessed man in the United States of America.
A new shirt from L.L. Bean and a new sweater once in a while, a wonderful wife, a nice small house they love, a wonderful family - and he considers himself the most blessed man in the United States of America.

tpetsch

Post by tpetsch » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Miriam2 wrote:I enjoyed the article, thanks.

STEPHEN DUBNER: As the founder of Vanguard, as the father of index-fund investing — how have you turned out financially? Are you worth billions and billions and billions?

JOHN BOGLE: No, I’m not even worth a billion. They laugh at me. I’m not even worth $100 million. But I was never in this business to make a lot of money for myself. I’ve been nicely paid, particularly in the days when I was running the company, and I am not a spender. I buy a new sweater every once in awhile or a new shirt from L.L. Bean. My wife is the same way. We’re just not interested in things, toys. We’re very happy with our standard of living. We have a nice small house that we love. We have a wonderful family. At almost 88 years old, I might be the most blessed man in the United States of America.
A new shirt from L.L. Bean and a new sweater once in a while, a wonderful wife, a nice small house they love, a wonderful family - and he considers himself the most blessed man in the United States of America.
That and a new bicycle and car every several years, that's all anyone really needs.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:05 pm

I merged MichaelRpdx's thread into here.

Freakonomics is one of the podcasts I listen to regularly.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Freakonomics is one of the podcasts I listen to regularly.
At the risk of sounding like a troglodyte :mrgreen: how does one listen to a podcast?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Freakonomics is one of the podcasts I listen to regularly.
At the risk of sounding like a troglodyte :mrgreen: how does one listen to a podcast?
The way you listen to a podcast is uh... with a podcast app. :)

Let's back up a bit. The answer to the question which needs to be asked first: What is a Podcast?

If you have an iPhone, podcasts are available on iTunes. Start here: iTunes - Podcasts - Discovering Podcasts - Apple

If you have any further questions, start a thread in the Personal Consumer Issues forum. You'll get plenty of help.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Thank you LadyGeek. It's a whole new world out there :D

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Uhh, Luddite here: what's a podcast? :twisted:

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Big Dog wrote:Uhh, Luddite here: what's a podcast? :twisted:
LadyGeek's link explains a podcast in easy to understand language for us behind-timers :happy

What is a Podcast?

Silence Dogood

"The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money"

Post by Silence Dogood » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:30 pm

[Merged Silence Dogood's post into this existing thread - moderator prudent]

"It’s hard enough to save for a house, tuition, or retirement. So why are we willing to pay big fees for subpar investment returns? Enter the low-cost index fund. The revolution will not be monetized."

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Miriam2 wrote:At the risk of sounding like a troglodyte :mrgreen: how does one listen to a podcast?
In this particular case (and many others), you can simply click "Download" to download an mp3 file. Play that file any way you want.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:38 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:At the risk of sounding like a troglodyte :mrgreen: how does one listen to a podcast?
In this particular case (and many others), you can simply click "Download" to download an mp3 file. Play that file any way you want.

Now, this is embarrassing, I clicked "download" and the interview came on over my computer speakers :oops: Thank you CFM300.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Thank you for posting the podcast. It's funny but sad, especially all the endowments and pension funds getting "ripped-off" by these highly paid FA's with less than stellar results.

Tony Scaramucci's (former CNBC Fast Money panelist) view on fiduciary is a classic case of no industry could regulate or audit themselves. :oops:

Where are the customers' yachts?

afan

Post by afan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:51 am

tpetsch wrote:
That and a new bicycle and car every several years, that's all anyone really needs.
A new bicycle every few years??? I bought my bike, used, 30 years ago and see no reason to replace it. Why in the world you one need a new bike? Enough crashes to trash the bike would likely put the rider out of commission.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

DC3509

Post by DC3509 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:06 am

This is an excellent podcast. The words of Mr. Bogle are inspiring.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:11 am

Miriam2 wrote:I enjoyed the article, thanks.

One more reason to love the guy - his "fashion house" is in Freeport, ME!
Friar1610

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:15 am

I am listening to this podcast now. So proud to be a Vanguard customer every time I hear him speak! I know that may seem terribly naïve, but it's true. :sharebeer :moneybag 8-)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 pm

I like the Freakonomics podcasts (although some recent ones have been meh) and was happy to listen to this one. :) It's encouraging to see the amount of notice that passive index investing is getting in popular media.

Blister

Post by Blister » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Just listened to this today. The follow up podcast should be interesting as well.
Everthing works out in the end. If it doesn't then its not the end.

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:30 pm

This might be easier to digest for lots of people (especially younger people) than the 16-page "If You Can" book (I know, I know, but I am pretty young and potentially a millennial, depending on the reference, so I'm allowed to say that :wink: ). Although a video would probably work even better...

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great talk... and spurred me to listen to the 'Bad Medicine' series.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain