Vanguard's Global Wellesley Income and Global Wellington Funds in registration [now available]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Billavoider

Vanguard's Global Wellesley Income and Global Wellington Funds in registration [now available]

Post by Billavoider »

Credit to the poster at Mutual Fund Observer for posting this.

These funds are in registration.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... dfinal.htm

[edited thread title to show the funds are now listed on Vanguard's site - moderator prudent]
JamesSFO

Re: Vanguard's Global Wellesley Income and Global Wellington Funds in registration

Post by JamesSFO »

I was a bit surprised by the initial expense ratios but this is where Vanguard's "at cost" structure cuts against them, it should be a bit more expensive than the base funds but I think it was more like 2x as expensive. Certainly an intriguing proposition for Wellesley/Wellington fund lovers who want international exposure in a single fund.
pkcrafter

Re: Vanguard's Global Wellesley Income and Global Wellington Funds in registration

Post by pkcrafter »

Thanks for posting this information.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
columbia

Post by columbia »

Summary for a layman?
user76586

Post by user76586 »

columbia wrote:Summary for a layman?
The two Ws are active funds with about 1/3 and 2/3 in US equities, respectively, and the rest in US bonds. These funds will add international equities and bonds to the mix. Probably similarly to the active Global Equity fund that stays close to market cap weights but adjusts based on manager discretion.
effillus

Post by effillus »

Both Wellesley and Wellington already have SOME foreign equities. Perhaps more will be added, plus the addition of international bonds.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Are those funds will replace existing or they are addition? Not clear why create 2 new funds with more international exposure, why not add more international to existing?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Tommy wrote:Are those funds will replace existing or they are addition? Not clear why create 2 new funds with more international exposure, why not add more international to existing?
You've been reading this forum and ask that? The "never international" contingent would have have something to say about that. Not to mention that most people don't appreciate in general when a fund dramatically changes its objective, particularly a fund in which they may have serious capital gains. We get a lot of complaints when a TR fund changes its allocation by 10%, after all.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Tommy wrote:Are those funds will replace existing or they are addition? Not clear why create 2 new funds with more international exposure, why not add more international to existing?
Some peeps don't want more international, so this way there is a one fund choice for both people.

I own some Wellesley in my IRA, but supplement with Foreign Index in my taxable.

Dan
Last edited by dwickenh on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

JamesSFO wrote:I was a bit surprised by the initial expense ratios but this is where Vanguard's "at cost" structure cuts against them, it should be a bit more expensive than the base funds but I think it was more like 2x as expensive. Certainly an intriguing proposition for Wellesley/Wellington fund lovers who want international exposure in a single fund.
Vanguard's fund expenses decline as the funds get larger. These funds will start out small, but their expenses will decrease if they attract investors. This has happened with many new Vanguard funds, both active and index.

Another point of note: the benchmark is based on a global cap-weighted portfolio, which means that these funds may be about half foreign.
SEC fund registration wrote:The [Globeal Wellington] Index is a composite benchmark, weighted 65% in the FTSE Developed Equity Index and 35% in the Bloomberg Barclays Fixed Income Composite, which is comprised of 80% Bloomberg Barclays Global Aggregate Credit Index, 10% Bloomberg Barclays Global Aggregate Treasury Index, and 10% Bloomberg Barclays Global Aggregate Securitized Index (USD hedged).
Wiki David Grabiner
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I doubt this has Jack's blessing but would love to hear his comments.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

Looks like by adding a decent percentage of international stocks and bonds, these funds are basically a conservative and aggressive actively managed LifeStrategy Fund focused on income...
Topic Author
Billavoider

Post by Billavoider »

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Feels like performance chasing. International has been hot this year after a decade or so of nothing, and here we go with international-ized versions of their two flagship active funds. I'll stick with the original funds (which combined, make up a little more than half of our portfolio), both for the lower ER and because I'm already just slightly overweight in international compared to my AA. Will be interesting to watch though.
jbolden1517

Post by jbolden1517 »

stemikger wrote:I doubt this has Jack's blessing but would love to hear his comments.
Jack is not a big fan of MPT where mutual funds individually aren't always good investments in and of themselves but are designed to be used in combination with other funds. He thinks in practice this just encourages speculation and buy high sell low behavior from investors. He has spoken quite often about the days when mutual funds were designed for middle class investors to be directly invested in and how esoteric fund choices have harmed investors. There are people like me who get the question and generally like Wellington as a "this will keep you out of most of the junk, you can be safe investing in this and forgetting about it" but won't recommend it without a foreign component (my standard is SIP and Oakmark Global). This goes head to head with something like Blackrock's Global Asset Allocation (a huge fund) likely 80 basis points cheaper, and no TAA. How many 401k investors could just go 100% Wellington Global if that became a fund option? And let me say something even more controversial, how many small pension funds could just go 100% Wellington Global and drastically reduce their overhead?

Jack is opposed to 100% equity. He likes middle class investment vehicles. He knows his views on foreign are a deal breaker for some. He knows his neutrality on value vs. growth are a deal breaker for some. A disciplined approach to foreign currency exposure, which Wellington Global would provide, eliminates most of the long term risks. Low expenses, disciplined investing, no market timing, high quality assets... That very much keeping with Vanguard's and Jack's ideology. So I wouldn't be so sure Jack wouldn't approve. He personally loves indexing and TSM type investments. But let's not forget he started as Wellington's fund manager.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

I can't make out the Global Wellesley stock benchmark. Prospectus says 35% "FTSE Developed High Dividend Yield Index" but there is no such index. (Google search returns 1 hit -- the prospectus itself!)

It must be FTSE All-World High Dividend Index?

Editing errors don't fill me with confidence. I want managers who know this stuff and could work in their sleep.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

jbolden1517 wrote:
stemikger wrote:I doubt this has Jack's blessing but would love to hear his comments.
Jack is not a big fan of MPT where mutual funds individually aren't always good investments in and of themselves but are designed to be used in combination with other funds. He thinks in practice this just encourages speculation and buy high sell low behavior from investors. He has spoken quite often about the days when mutual funds were designed for middle class investors to be directly invested in and how esoteric fund choices have harmed investors. There are people like me who get the question and generally like Wellington as a "this will keep you out of most of the junk, you can be safe investing in this and forgetting about it" but won't recommend it without a foreign component (my standard is SIP and Oakmark Global). This goes head to head with something like Blackrock's Global Asset Allocation (a huge fund) likely 80 basis points cheaper, and no TAA. How many 401k investors could just go 100% Wellington Global if that became a fund option? And let me say something even more controversial, how many small pension funds could just go 100% Wellington Global and drastically reduce their overhead?

Jack is opposed to 100% equity. He likes middle class investment vehicles. He knows his views on foreign are a deal breaker for some. He knows his neutrality on value vs. growth are a deal breaker for some. A disciplined approach to foreign currency exposure, which Wellington Global would provide, eliminates most of the long term risks. Low expenses, disciplined investing, no market timing, high quality assets... That very much keeping with Vanguard's and Jack's ideology. So I wouldn't be so sure Jack wouldn't approve. He personally loves indexing and TSM type investments. But let's not forget he started as Wellington's fund manager.
I can see how beneficial this could be for many. Your reply was great. I personally rather be 100% in index funds and don't really want international because I drank the Jack Bogle cool-aid and agree it is not necessary. I plan to go all in with the Vanguard Balanced Index Fund.

Yes, Jack still owns Wellington because of the sentimental role it played in his life, but it still is a managed fund and probably he would not buy it today. Having said that, who can argue with Wellington's long term track record. If I wasn't such a zealot, I would have no problem owning it.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 »

After all the posts on percentage of foreign equity, I'll be very interested to see what percentage they use with these funds. Anybody wanna take a guess?
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Vanguard is clearly making international bonds a key allocation within their funds.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

GaryA505 wrote:After all the posts on percentage of foreign equity, I'll be very interested to see what percentage they use with these funds. Anybody wanna take a guess?
It surprised me that the press release didn't say, although this may be because of legal restrictions; the proposed prospectus didn't say either. The only basis for a guess is that the benchmark is a global index, which would be about half US; if the fund were following a more common 60/40 or 70/30 split, it would probably be benchmarked to that percentage of US and foreign indexes.
Wiki David Grabiner
saltz1979

Post by saltz1979 »

Wonder if Wellington and Wellesley will soon close to new investors altogether when the other two launch?
jbolden1517

Post by jbolden1517 »

saltz1979 wrote:Wonder if Wellington and Wellesley will soon close to new investors altogether when the other two launch?
I doubt it. These are different products. Vanguard isn't a house that keeps a small number of funds. No reason not to offer all four.
maj

Post by maj »

Though we are invested 80% in index funds, we do have Wellington and Wellesley in tax-deferred accounts.
Wellington management is most careful regarding stock selection in general, and more so with international stocks.
I believe the Global versions will be welcomed by folks who want exposure to international stocks which are cream of the crop re
political stability, moat protection, and return on equity.
peace
azanon

Post by azanon »

GaryA505 wrote:After all the posts on percentage of foreign equity, I'll be very interested to see what percentage they use with these funds. Anybody wanna take a guess?
It's going to be somewhere between 40-50% foreign equities, and probably 2:1 ratio of US to foreign bonds. On equities, 40% if they match Vanguard's official preference, or 50%ish if they use global market cap like their global equity stock fund.

I'm just really hoping they maintain the Value tilt for all of the equities!
azanon

Post by azanon »

jbolden1517 wrote:
saltz1979 wrote:Wonder if Wellington and Wellesley will soon close to new investors altogether when the other two launch?
I doubt it. These are different products. Vanguard isn't a house that keeps a small number of funds. No reason not to offer all four.
That'd be sacrilege, and cause riots. Approximately 0% chance of that happening, give or take 0%.
VaR

Post by VaR »

I didn't see any statement on whether the U.S. vs international allocation was going to be fixed by mandate or whether it would be adjusted as part of the active management based on some determination of value. Any thoughts on this?
alec

Post by alec »

VaR wrote:I didn't see any statement on whether the U.S. vs international allocation was going to be fixed by mandate or whether it would be adjusted as part of the active management based on some determination of value. Any thoughts on this?
It could be in the registration statement vanguard filed with the SEC.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
tj

Post by tj »

No "Global Equity Income"? That's a bit surprising.
maj

Post by maj »

tj
I concur.
I hope to see a global dividend appreciation index fund/etf
and a global high dividend yield index fund/etf
peace
SirRunsabit

Post by SirRunsabit »

I'm excited for Global Wellington. Should be a decent fund, a compliment for those who have high Wellington percentages and want some international exposure without all the asset allocation work. I have some faith in the management team.
Hi!
azanon

Post by azanon »

Does anyone know an easy way I can track when these will be launched? I asked Vanguard on their facebook page when the launch is, and the response was "mid-october". I asked if there was any way to invest prior to launch, and the answer was no. So, so far the only way I know how to track this is to go to Vanguard's site at least once per day and see if it's listed. Is there an easier way to keep tabs?
dh

Post by dh »

azanon wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:46 pm Does anyone know an easy way I can track when these will be launched? I asked Vanguard on their facebook page when the launch is, and the response was "mid-october". I asked if there was any way to invest prior to launch, and the answer was no. So, so far the only way I know how to track this is to go to Vanguard's site at least once per day and see if it's listed. Is there an easier way to keep tabs?
The response you received in more specific than what I heard ("sometime in the 4th quarter"). I doubt there is a better way to track the opening for the fund. I am going to rely on people commenting here at Bogleheads in regards to it opening.
azanon

Post by azanon »

dh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm
azanon wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:46 pm Does anyone know an easy way I can track when these will be launched? I asked Vanguard on their facebook page when the launch is, and the response was "mid-october". I asked if there was any way to invest prior to launch, and the answer was no. So, so far the only way I know how to track this is to go to Vanguard's site at least once per day and see if it's listed. Is there an easier way to keep tabs?
The response you received in more specific than what I heard ("sometime in the 4th quarter"). I doubt there is a better way to track the opening for the fund. I am going to rely on people commenting here at Bogleheads in regards to it opening.
Yeah that was as of yesterday. I just clicked the message button at Vanguard facebook, and "Emily" replied back with that information.
SirRunsabit

Post by SirRunsabit »

Been checking daily myself.

Glad to see other folks are excited too. :sharebeer
Hi!
azanon

Post by azanon »

SirRunsabit wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:27 pm Been checking daily myself.

Glad to see other folks are excited too. :sharebeer
Yup. I plan to dump quite a bit of $$ into Global Wellington. :mrgreen:
naha66

Post by naha66 »

What kind of experience does Wellington have in international investing?
tj

Post by tj »

I would hope you don't invest in it until they are fully invested. Otherwise you just have an expensive cash fund. :D

Wellington does some internatinoal work for The Hartford. Wellington is also one of the managers of Vanguard's active Emerging Markets fund.
dkturner

Post by dkturner »

naha66 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 pm What kind of experience does Wellington have in international investing?
Vanguard's Equity Income, Wellesley and Wellington Fund are all managed by Wellington Management. For as long as I have owned these funds (about 18 years) they have contained varying allocations to international equities, primarily European. I think they have sufficient experience with international markets to make a go of it.
azanon

Post by azanon »

naha66 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 pm What kind of experience does Wellington have in international investing?
Considering they have offices located in Beijing, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Luxembourg, and Zurich, I'm hoping at least a fair bit of experience.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Wellington Management is one of the managers for Vanguard's International Explorer Fund.
Topic Author
Billavoider

Post by Billavoider »

Here is the 10/10/17 prospectus link:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... merged.htm
tj

Post by tj »

Billavoider wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 pm Here is the 10/10/17 prospectus link:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... merged.htm
Interesting that the equity managers listed are none of the named managers for the domestic funds.
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

tj wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 pm Interesting that the equity managers listed are none of the named managers for the domestic funds.
The domestic funds are kind of soft closed, right? I don't think that's over the fixed income side getting too large to handle.
tj

Post by tj »

lack_ey wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 pm
tj wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 pm Interesting that the equity managers listed are none of the named managers for the domestic funds.
The domestic funds are kind of soft closed, right? I don't think that's over the fixed income side getting too large to handle.
Wellington might be. I didn't think Wellesley was.

Dividend Growth is closed and Equity Income, while not closed, Vanguard has it's own managers manage part of it.
jackfromma

Post by jackfromma »

Neither Wellington nor Wellesley are closed, and I hold both of them in my IRA. If the new funds live up to the existing W&W and their potential, they would be worth a significant place in the active part of my portfolio, possibly replacing the domestic W&W, depending on the asset allocation.
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

tj wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:49 pm
lack_ey wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 pm
Wellington might be. I didn't think Wellesley was.

Dividend Growth is closed and Equity Income, while not closed, Vanguard has it's own managers manage part of it.
You're right. It was just Wellington that closed to institutional investors and financial advisors, not both of them. And maybe to others?

jackfromma wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:50 pm Neither Wellington nor Wellesley are closed, and I hold both of them in my IRA. If the new funds live up to the existing W&W and their potential, they would be worth a significant place in the active part of my portfolio, possibly replacing the domestic W&W, depending on the asset allocation.
If it's a Vanguard IRA, sure, hence the language of "kind of soft closed" (I really should have specified more, shouldn't I?). Or are you with a different broker? For example I see in some places Wellington being shown as closed to new investors in those platforms, which was the meaning intended but apparently I was expecting too much out of everyone else to be total mind readers (drat). My impression was that it was only really being offered at Vanguard brokerage services to retail clients, to existing clients, and maybe a few exceptions.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Today (Oct. 17, 2017) Vanguard filed with the SEC a supplement to the previously filed prospectus for each of the new funds that each fund: "is holding a subscription period from October 18, 2017, through November 1, 2017. During this period, the Fund will invest in money market instruments rather than seek to achieve its investment objective. This strategy should allow the Fund to accumulate sufficient assets to construct a complete portfolio within a single day and is expected to reduce initial trading costs."
SirRunsabit

Post by SirRunsabit »

Here it comes. :happy
Hi!
SirRunsabit

Post by SirRunsabit »

:beer they're on the site. Enjoy!
Hi!
GMan82

Post by GMan82 »

Hmm. This is an interesting prospect. I currently manage my mother's small taxable account for her. $40k basis worth about $47k now. Acct opened around Christmas 2015. It is invested 60/40 with 25% of stocks international and 10% stocks as REITS in 3-fund + REITS. She has no income to declare so the taxation is small and the cap gains if any minimal.

I'm wondering if it's worth transferring all into the Global Wellington Fund, set to automatically re-invest. The ER goes up for sure, but this way it becomes TRUE buy and hold, and easy to set and forget.

I'm thinking of using either this or the LifeStrategy Moderate fund for her. She wants to let the money sit untouched. Either strategy lets me forget the account even exists, because now each quarter I go and reinvest manually the dividends into the lagging sector.

Any suggestions on Global Wellington or LifeStrategy Moderate? It's the 40% in international that I didn't like much. I'd rather 25-30% international max. Downside is the ER of the Global Wellington, but I can probably find $2k to get the admiral share.