Dumped my last stock

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bampf

Dumped my last stock

Post by bampf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:51 am

Hi,

As of this morning I dumped my last stock. I have held Tesla for about 3 years and had a lot of fun watching the wild rides. I woke up this morning and thought about it for a bit. It occurred to me that I wouldn't be any happier if the price went back to $380. It also occurred to me that I wouldn't be much sadder if the price fell to $280. And so I dumped it. The $30K is now solidly invested in VTI and I will forget about things for a bit. Since it doesn't really matter in the short term and the risk is (according to even Elon) pretty high, I just wanted out. Now, I am going to read and screw around on things that really matter.

Regards,

Bampf :mrgreen:

bloom2708

Re: Dumped my last stock

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:16 am

A solid move.

One mind-shift would be that you still own Tesla (and 3,590 other stocks) in VTI.

VTI holds 2,836,742 shares with a value of $1,025,794,275

Want more Tesla? Buy more VTI. Get an itch to scratch and want to buy more XYZ, buy more VTI.

Add VXUS and you get 6,166 international stocks. Some Nestle and Samsung and Royal Dutch.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:19 am

bampf wrote:Hi,

As of this morning I dumped my last stock. I have held Tesla for about 3 years and had a lot of fun watching the wild rides. I woke up this morning and thought about it for a bit. It occurred to me that I wouldn't be any happier if the price went back to $380. It also occurred to me that I wouldn't be much sadder if the price fell to $280. And so I dumped it. The $30K is now solidly invested in VTI and I will forget about things for a bit. Since it doesn't really matter in the short term and the risk is (according to even Elon) pretty high, I just wanted out. Now, I am going to read and screw around on things that really matter.

Regards,

Good move. I did the same with Apple stock and invested proceeds ind Fidelity's total stock. Watching Apple was fun, but now just want funds.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:23 am

:sharebeer

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm

bampf wrote:Hi,

Regards,

interesting. Have you seen what Elon Musk said today?
Exactly. Tesla is absurdly overvalued if based on the past, but that's irrelevant. A stock price represents risk-adjusted future cash flows.--Elon Musk
But then he just backtracked that:
I should clarify: Tesla stock is obviously high based on past & present, but low if you believe in Tesla's future. Place bets accordingly.--Elon Musk
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/17/elon-mus ... lieve.html

Wonder if your sale of Tesla today had anything to do with the stock dropping today? :wink: Probably not. But they do hang on every word out of Elon's mouth. Congratulations on further diversifying. And as they say, if you own the market...you still own Tesla. :moneybag
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

bampf

Post by bampf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Absolutely certain my sale had nothing to do with the fall of the stock today. Generally things rise after I sell them! :oops: That being said, the short term anxiety ridden markets are not interesting to me any longer. I would very much prefer just to sit back and watch my money grow over time. But not too closely. I still check every day even though I know I should not. Will be nice when I can just do my end of month measurement and walk away...

elb2000

Post by elb2000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 pm

I have 2% of my investments in a separate speculation brokerage account.
It's up 50%, now which is fun. I'm annoyed when I lose money on a stock.
And it has minimal impact on my retirement.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm

bampf:

Congratulations!

You have stopped gambling.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle