How are folks handling the unprecedented rise in the market ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
skor99

How are folks handling the unprecedented rise in the market ?

Postby skor99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 pm

I like many others am a skeptic of this market, given the volatile political situation and lack of any real improvements such as tax reform or infrastructure bills. But the fact is that the market still keeps going up. I am still in the market but What is everybody else doing ? Keeping the faith or thinking of bailing ?

Dottie57

Re: How are folks handling the unprecedented rise in the market ?

Postby Dottie57 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Keep the faith. Keep investing in 401k. I have conservative allocation.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyclingDuo

Postby CyclingDuo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:38 pm

skor99 wrote:I like many others am a skeptic of this market, given the volatile political situation and lack of any real improvements such as tax reform or infrastructure bills. But the fact is that the market still keeps going up. I am still in the market but What is everybody else doing ? Keeping the faith or thinking of bailing ?

Our end goal still includes working another decade, as well as living for another 30 - 35 years, so sticking to plan. :sharebeer

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Listen to Jack Bogle

Postby Taylor Larimore » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:38 pm

skor99 wrote:I like many others am a skeptic of this market, given the volatile political situation and lack of any real improvements such as tax reform or infrastructure bills. But the fact is that the market still keeps going up. I am still in the market but What is everybody else doing ? Keeping the faith or thinking of bailing ?

skor99:

Anytime I am unsure what to do, I listen to our mentor, Jack Bogle, who knows more about investing than any of us:
Stay the course. No matter what happens, stick to your program. I've said "Stay the course" a thousand times, and I meant it every time. It is the most important single piece of investment wisdom I can give to you. --Page 42 in Common Sense on Mutual Funds.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

tibbitts

Postby tibbitts » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Isn't the market is up something like 5% nominal annually over the last 17 years? Probably closer to unprecedented on the downside than upside.

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 pm

It may help to have a look at this thread and read the Larry Swedroe article.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=223344&newpost=3448843

skor99

Postby skor99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:41 pm

I have conservative allocation as well, my portfolio has roughly 50 % of the movement of the s&p 500. I always think of the money I have lost by having such an allocation, but cannot muster the courage to allocate more at this stage to either stocks or bonds, ( except for my bi weekly 401k contribution to s&p 500 , which will be around 18 K for the year. )

catdude

Postby catdude » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm handing it by doing nothing.
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

sambb

Postby sambb » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:45 pm

nothing wrong with taking some profits off the table if you are uncomfortable with your allocation.

Thesaints

Postby Thesaints » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Enjoying it!

mortfree

Postby mortfree » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:55 pm

I paid off my mortgage in 2016 (I had 94k remaining in 2013). House value 230k

I maxed my 401k in 2016 and will again in 2017.

Maxed my Roth in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

I contributed to my wife's Roth in 2016. 2017 is TBD.

I've also been investing in my taxable - VTI and Berkshire Hathaway.

Freedom of not having a mortgage gives me comfort to throw $$ in the market. Age 40 btw.

bligh

Postby bligh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:59 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who knows man.. I am staying the course because no one really knows what is going to happen next. Though I must admit, it is getting really tempting to take money off the table.. but I keep reminding myself of all the previous times I thought a crash was coming and how well that would have worked out.

gundlached

Postby gundlached » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Staying the course with 60/40 at age 32. If it crashes, I shall back up the truck.

Buying a house makes me more nervous than my retirement account.

Tycoon

Postby Tycoon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 pm

I hate to waste my 1000th post on this, but this rise isn't unprecedented. I get the impression people are reading the many posts about time in the market and just not getting it. Oh well, it's not my problem.

Good luck.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

FrugalInvestor

Postby FrugalInvestor » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm ignoring the noise and staying true to my plan. I can do this because I am comfortable with my asset allocation and understand that I'm in the market for the long term. Short-term gyrations one way or the other are not important.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

cutehumor

Postby cutehumor » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm moving to a 60 US stock market/ 40 international stock market. It may not help, but I don't have all my eggs in the US market. I''m 40 this month, so I have time for the market to recover.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

1000 posts!

Postby Taylor Larimore » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Tycoon wrote:I hate to waste my 1000th post on this, but this rise isn't unprecedented. I get the impression people are reading the many posts about time in the market and just not getting it. Oh well, it's not my problem.

Good luck.

Tycoon:

Your posts are not wasted. They have helped thousands of less informed investors.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Longdog

Postby Longdog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm smiling more often at the end of the day.
Steve

whodidntante

Postby whodidntante » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm amazed that there is still so much skepticism following an 8+ year bull market. Aren't we supposed to be blinded by greed by now?

Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Seeing that there was an unprecedented fall in the market just 8 short years ago, I'd say we are handling it as a collective whole just fine. Those who were in it then used the opportunity (I hope) to re-evaluate their risk tolerance and subsequently made adjustments to their allocations - I know I did and still follow it today.

My question to the OP is: What does your Investment Policy Statement say? Are you following it?What is good for me may not necessarily be good for you and vice versa. It's those who are piling into risky assets blindly that will pay the price, eventually. As for earnings, well, they look ALOT better than they were 8 years ago, so we will see. Stay the course!
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

skor99

Postby skor99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Tycoon wrote:I hate to waste my 1000th post on this, but this rise isn't unprecedented. I get the impression people are reading the many posts about time in the market and just not getting it. Oh well, it's not my problem.

Good luck.

Unprecedented in the sense that the political environment is so volatile and no real bills have been passed yet to generate faster economic growth, upon which the market rise is predicated. I agree time in the market is more important than timing, but just wondering if any changes in investing strategies are warranted.

nedsaid

Postby nedsaid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:41 pm

As the market continues to rise, I am continuing with my program of mild rebalancing from stocks to bonds, a program I have been on since July 2013. Pretty much, I have kept my asset allocation steady.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:43 pm

skor99 wrote:

Good luck.

Unprecedented in the sense that the political environment is so volatile and no real bills have been passed yet to generate faster economic growth, upon which the market rise is predicated. I agree time in the market is more important than timing, but just wondering if any changes in investing strategies are warranted.

Says who? The talking heads on CNBC? Turn off your television set, ignore the noise. The market is moving on expected current earnings which are being released within the next 2-3 weeks, so far I've seen earnings are up, some are reporting lower revenues but that is to be expected. Don't expect 4% growth, it isn't going to happen.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

badbreath

Postby badbreath » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 pm

I don't know what to say. I consistently invested during the 08 downturn but I was buying stock very cheap. The cheap stock now is worth a lot more . Now that the stocks are much higher I still buy consistently.

Steady buying more when low, buy less when high and stay the course leads to more $$
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

staythecourse

Re: Listen to Jack Bogle

Postby staythecourse » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Anytime I am unsure what to do, I listen to our mentor, Jack Bogle, who knows more about investing than any of us:
Stay the course. No matter what happens, stick to your program. I've said "Stay the course" a thousand times, and I meant it every time. It is the most important single piece of investment wisdom I can give to you. --Page 42 in Common Sense on Mutual Funds.

Best wishes.
Taylor

That is wisdom if I've ever heard it. Think I might have to steal that for my new quote line.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

MnD

Postby MnD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:51 pm

If this market rise is getting you all rattled you would have had a tough time in the 1980's and 90's.
Water cooler discussions about which lousy "maximum capital gains" category funds were up only 50% last year.........

tibbitts

Postby tibbitts » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Unprecedented in the sense that the political environment is so volatile

As opposed to oh, say, during the civil war ?

skor99

Postby skor99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:56 pm

MnD wrote:If this market rise is getting you all rattled you would have had a tough time in the 1980's and 90's.
Water cooler discussions about which lousy "maximum capital gains" category funds were up only 50% last year.........

Yes, to be honest, it does feel silly to be rattled when the market is rising. But that's what a bad recession ( 2001-2002) and a near depression ( 2008) in quick succession will do to you. Always feel there is something bad coming. Almost all of my investing life, I have seen bubbles, wars, political infighting leading to policy paralysis etc. Am thinking the 80s and 90s were much calmer in comparison ( except for the 1987 crash which was forgotten pretty quickly from what I know)

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:59 pm

tibbitts wrote:Isn't the market is up something like 5% nominal annually over the last 17 years? Probably closer to unprecedented on the downside than upside.

That's not what we're talking about.
S&P500 is up 11% YTD.
Total international is up 17% YTD.
I've been rebalancing incrementally in retirement to keep my stock percentage under control...
Attempted new signature...

Hawaiishrimp

Postby Hawaiishrimp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:07 pm

catdude wrote:I'm handing it by doing nothing.

:sharebeer Right on.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Fwiw, in the short term, I'm shorting it. Naked! Sold some SPY today. But this is really just the speculative fund, and the position might change Monday. The small loss on this is far outweighed by the gain invested in the long term BH style. I've been mostly on the wrong side this year and sitting out much of the time, so you could call me the "cash on the sidelines" and I'm doubling down on the down side. :shock: IMO, more fun than Vegas!

The Wizard

Postby The Wizard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Hawaiishrimp wrote:
catdude wrote:I'm handing it by doing nothing.

:sharebeer Right on.

I'm not sure that "doing nothing" is quite the right answer, but okay...
Attempted new signature...

tooluser

Postby tooluser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:15 pm

I think you should ask your neighbors if they would like to help you plan a block party for later in the summer. What a fun time you would all have!
I had crossed the line. I was free; but there was no one to welcome me to the land of freedom. I was a stranger in a strange land. - Harriet Tubman

catdude

Postby catdude » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 pm

skor99 wrote:
MnD wrote:If this market rise is getting you all rattled you would have had a tough time in the 1980's and 90's.

Yes, to be honest, it does feel silly to be rattled when the market is rising. But that's what a bad recession ( 2001-2002) and a near depression ( 2008) in quick succession will do to you. Always feel there is something bad coming. Almost all of my investing life, I have seen bubbles, wars, political infighting leading to policy paralysis etc. Am thinking the 80s and 90s were much calmer in comparison ( except for the 1987 crash which was forgotten pretty quickly from what I know)

OP, since you're rattled by the market, you need to revisit your asset allocation and dial back your exposure to stocks.
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 pm

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General (general discussion).

Interesting. Most investors think of risk as the potential for loss. The math works the same in both directions. In this case, we're talking about a gain - what should one do?

See: Risk tolerance

On the subject of math, a market loss of 50% requires it to double in value (gain of 100%) to get back to the same point.

Conversely, a market gain of 50% only needs to drop 33% (lose 1/3rd) to get back to the same point.

The dollar gains and losses are the same. Don't get crossed between working in percentages and dollars.

See: Percentage gain and loss
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Alchemist

Postby Alchemist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm just standing here, doing nothing. Well nothing different anyway. Continuing my normal monthly contributions to investment accounts as I always have.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby nisiprius » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm not "keeping the faith," I'm "staying the course." I'm retired and have a low stock allocation, it will take quite a rise to get to the point where I actually think I need to rebalance. I have no idea how long the rise will continue. Faith doesn't come into it. When it stops, if there's a sharp decline, I hope I can shrug it off and say "easy come, easy go."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

skor99

Postby skor99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:46 pm

catdude wrote:
skor99 wrote:

OP, since you're rattled by the market, you need to revisit your asset allocation and dial back your exposure to stocks.

Actually rattled is not the right word. More like concerned that the rise is not real and it could drop any time - am sure this is the result of the aforementioned bubbles, recessions etc. Dialing back stocks is not an option as I am already at a low 55% stocks ( for my age ). Rest is roughly 20 % bonds and the balance in cash. I get concerned the other way as well that I have too much cash. I would like to think that I am not the only one in such a predicament.
Last edited by skor99 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KESP

Postby KESP » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:46 pm

I finally got our accounts to a 3 or 4 fund portfolio at a 60/40 asset allocation. It's nice to see the balances go up, but fully expect things to drop sometime. I rode it out the last time without doing anything stupid; I think I can do it again. Having a pension as a cushion does help as I should not need to use retirement savings to meet regular expenses. I don't listen to the financial news.

skor99

Postby skor99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:49 pm

KESP wrote:I finally got our accounts to a 3 or 4 fund portfolio at a 60/40 asset allocation. It's nice to see the balances go up, but fully expect things to drop sometime. I rode it out the last time without doing anything stupid; I think I can do it again. Having a pension as a cushion does help as I should not need to use retirement savings to meet regular expenses. I don't listen to the financial news.

You are very lucky that you have a pension. No pensions on my side, nor any expectations of getting one even if I switch jobs as I am already in my late 40s

patrick013

Postby patrick013 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 pm

EPS for the 500 looks like it's going to be over 100 for
the first time in several years, for 2017. Possibly 120
for the whole year, but their estimates are always high
it seems. But for the near term there's 100 EPS which
at an ultra high PE of 25 could put the price of the bull
market at 2500.

Some people might short the market, others reduce stock AA,
others don't mess around and take gains pay tax and go 100%
cash. Others very wise as well just sit back and stay the course.

This economy could take a soft landing and a soft rise all things
considered, but then again when I say that I run the risk of looking
stupid if they post 80 EPS and the whole thing falls apart for awhile.
Everybody does.

Index replacement will save us.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:20 pm

skor99 wrote:
catdude wrote:
skor99 wrote:

Actually rattled is not the right word. More like concerned that the rise is not real and it could drop any time - am sure this is the result of the aforementioned bubbles, recessions etc. Dialing back stocks is not an option as I am already at a low 55% stocks ( for my age ). Rest is roughly 20 % bonds and the balance in cash. I get concerned the other way as well that I have too much cash. I would like to think that I am not the only one in such a predicament.

Called it rattled. Call it concerned. Either way you need to you need to revisit your asset allocation and perhaps dial back your exposure to stocks.
Gordon

KyleAAA

Postby KyleAAA » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:29 pm

skor99 wrote:

Good luck.

Stock returns aren't highly correlated with economic growth and market rises aren't predicated on it. Corporate earnings are up big this year so stocks being up isn't surprising. There is nothing unprecedented about this market.

oldcomputerguy

Postby oldcomputerguy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm checking every now and then to make sure I haven't hit a rebalance point. Other than that, no, I'm not contemplating any changes at this point.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

skor99

Postby skor99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:29 pm

And btw, I am not a bear and am not rooting for the market to fall in any way. Just Trying to balance my cautious and fragile optimism with some concerns - not just in the stock market but also in my personal job situation. Hopefully it will all end well, but there are some nights that I don't sleep well ( due to my job situation primarily) . I do wonder if I don't feel relaxed even with a substantial NW, then how do people with average NWs cope with such concerns ?

in_reality

Postby in_reality » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:38 pm

gkaplan wrote:
skor99 wrote:
catdude wrote:
skor99 wrote:

Called it rattled. Call it concerned. Either way you need to you need to revisit your asset allocation and perhaps dial back your exposure to stocks.

International valuations are not so high. I diversify by holding them too.

I am 45% FI too. (partially due to job concerns). I would be comfortable even with a 25% crash -- especially knowing that also means greater expected returns from that point forward.

Anyway, you are looking at this wrong. Even with high US valuations, what better alternative is there. Even if returns are lousy at 2-3% over inflation, bonds and cash aren't better. International offers higher potential returns, but perhaps aren't at certain.

The political situation is temporary. The fact is that there really isn't a better alternative to putting your money in the productive economy. Lot's of people have put it in the US, so prices are high and expected returns are lower, but I simply don't see a better alternative. Some people look for "alternative" funds but I don't think they are proven and are just another form of higher potential returns with more risk.

So yeah there is a risk of a crash. There is also a risk of you being underfunded in retirement. And watch out that cash is slowly losing value. Even if stocks return 0% + inflation over the next decade - which would be horrible - it's still better than cash. And if stocks do do that poorly, surely the 10 years after will be better as valuations will drop.

So political promises boost valuations and perhaps reality takes them away, or takes some away or fulfills it's promised. Quit trying to figure out which it will be and just stick to your plan because it's solid. That's my opinion anyway.
[60% US _ 26% DEV _ 14% EM] | (-16% LC _ +8% MC _ +8% SC) | [47% FND/VAL _ 40% MKT _ 7% MOM _ 6% REIT] | (+/- 5% or *25% rebalancing bands)

chinto

Postby chinto » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:52 pm

A view. For decades I have advised would be entrepreneurs and assisted small ad large businesses with their expansion plans. Since 2008 the would be entrepreneurs and small business expansions have been on hiatus and only my large accounts were active. Just in the the last two months there has been a flurry of activity in the entrepreneurial lines with people contracting me about their roll their own start-up or wanting me to vet some franchise opportunity. I think that means the economy may have legs under it now.

bigred77

Postby bigred77 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:57 pm

I guess I just can't relate...

The stock market is up. It's supposed to go up over time. That's why we all put money into it.

Since the turn of the century the S&P500 is up less than 3% real. Over the past 10 years we're up 5.5% real.

The market has not been so great as to cause me angst. It needs to outperform even more for me to even feel like we're on track! I can't control returns, so I'll continue to just sit and observe.

KlangFool

Postby KlangFool » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 pm

OP,

As my portfolio gets bigger, my AA changes from 63/37 to 60/40 slowly. When it crosses a trigger point, it moves into a more conservative AA. In a few weeks, I am moving from 63/37 to 62/38.

KlangFool

Mndiver

Postby Mndiver » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Not changing a thing. Currently in all Index funds at 70/15/15. Probably too high in stocks at 46 years old but I'm staying the course.

Return to “Investing - Theory, News & General”